Who will KJ displace ?

Husky Seahawk

Reaction score
In our base defense it is a pretty safe bet to say that KJ will replace Calitro. Calitro has played well, but he lacks the leadership and athleticism of KJ.

The decision is much more challenging when deciding if KJ replaces Mingo in our nickel packages. Mingo's Versatility seems valuable when the Defense has their Nickel personnel on the field. However, Mingo is not the most consistent player and seems to have lapses in coverage. KJ has proved to be a special linebacker for the Seahawks due to his consistency both in coverage and against the run.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Kind of have to disagree on that last part. KJ has been the weakest link in pass coverage for 3 years straight now. He gets picked on, in fact. On top of that, he lacks speed and gets outrun for big yards when giving up catches. Great at sniffing out a screen, can put himself in great position against the run, but is also not strong at the POA and lacks speed in coverage.

This won't be popular, but Mingo is not only the end of KJ's time here after the season, he's also an upgrade.

endzorn

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2z1cyug7 said:
Kind of have to disagree on that last part. KJ has been the weakest link in pass coverage for 3 years straight now. He gets picked on, in fact. On top of that, he lacks speed and gets outrun for big yards when giving up catches. Great at sniffing out a screen, can put himself in great position against the run, but is also not strong at the POA and lacks speed in coverage.

This won't be popular, but Mingo is not only the end of KJ's time here after the season, he's also an upgrade.
They play different positions. Mingo plays the strong side which is vastly different from the weak side.

Husky Seahawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":124gsh63 said:

Do you think that Mingo has been better in coverage than KJ?

I have to agree that this is probably KJ's last season here. Mingo is younger, more versatile, more athletic and will also probably be much cheaper than KJ Wright.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't think there are any mysteries about the depth chart.

KJ plays WILL (weak/right side) for us so he will supplant Calitro who is probably better backing up Wagner at MIKE (middle) anyway. The coaching staff will probably try to work Shaquem Griffin in just a little bit as well whenever we seem to have the game in hand.

Will LBs need to be primarily very fast as they will often end up covering a slot receiver or a back catching a pass out of the backfield. They typically have the most ground to cover and so have to be smart and react quickly to what is developing. They need to be able to tackle well in space as their run support comes on the back side of the formations. KJ has been a key asset for the club at WILL over the years as he tackles very well.

Barkevious Mingo and Jacob Martin play SAM (strong/left side) for us.

On passing plays they may need to drop into short zone coverage, play man to man coverage on the TE or rush the passer. On running plays they are often key defenders trying to fight through TE/FB blocks to tackle the RB. Strength and physicality are just as important as speed, and the Hawks love to get pass rush out of their SAM backers when they can.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I can’t see any way that KJ doesn’t immediately replace Calitro. KJ is a Pro Bowl quality WOLB with exceptional diagnostic ability. The D is far better with him than without him.

blackjack203

Reaction score
The thing about KJ is that his best position has probably always been MLB in a 4-3. He'd be a perfect fit in a 3-4. I love having KJ but if I was his agent I'd consider having him move to someone playing the 3-4. If we keep him and I hope we do, then hopefully we'll start subbing him out on certain passing downs. He's great to have in the event Wagner goes down. I really like Calitro at MLB too though. Nice to have options for once. Looking ahead to next year this team has a chance of adding a handful of new faces and becoming the deepest team in the Carrol era. Go Hawks!

Tical21

Reaction score
Calitro for sure. He's an almost passable MLB, but that's it. Wagner played WILL last week in base. Mingo/KJ in nickel is the real discussion, and I think Mingo is in the process of winning that battle.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I think they'll keep guys in whatever position group that seems to be hurting more and let some go (knock on wood ) from other positions just to keep the best players on the team because there's no guarantee that when KJ comes back he doesn't pull a hammy 2 weeks in as he hasn't played all year so while we sucked injury wise at RB last year , this year we're strong so we gotta do what we gotta do
Just my 2C

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":3uoiw46b said:
Calitro for sure. He's an almost passable MLB, but that's it. Wagner played WILL last week in base. Mingo/KJ in nickel is the real discussion, and I think Mingo is in the process of winning that battle.

Wagner actually played MLB last week in base D. It might have looked like Cailtro was playing middle because Wagner was shifted over a lot to play against the Raiders 3 tighend packages.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It’s not 1995 anymore the Seahawks play with two linebackers 60% of all snaps.

OP
OP
daveyoung52

daveyoung52

Reaction score
hawxfreak":w69fty4h said:
C J PROSISE
Period
Kind of what i was angling at,places on the 53,who provides best value on the field at LB, Calitro or Shaquem,or do they lose someone from another position group, and i was forgetting that Mckissic and Dickson are becoming available as well.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3a27azgu said:

I think that you make a really good and misunderstood point here. While Mingo is not going to replace KJ on the weakside he could replace KJ as the LB that stays on the field in Nickel. There is no rule that says that it has to be the Will LB that stays on the field in Nickel. I think that KJ has really slowed down in coverage and that Mingo might be an improvement. If KJ becomes a two-down back there is no way that he gets re-signed (unless he is willing to take a BIG paycut).

Latest posts