Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Bradley McDougald was fined $26,739

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Bradley McDougald was fined $26,739
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:06 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Re: Bradley McDougald was fined $26,739
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:14 pm
  • LAME.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:24 pm
  • So now every time someone gets "hit too hard", God is going to lay the hammer down with a fine?

More than lame....they are ruining the flippin game!! :177692: :141847_bnono: :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:35 pm
  • Not Bradley's fault the receiver lowered his head
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:38 pm
  • Horseshit. That was a textbook hit. The shield is trying to police toughness out of the game even when it's within the realm of the rulebook.

Horseshit. Horseshit, horseshit, horseshit.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:39 pm
  • It should read: Seahawks fined for winning on foreign soil. Lame.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:45 pm
  • Dick Butkus, if he were dead, would surely roll in his grave.

It's going to be the NFFL in less than 30 years.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:04 pm
  • Burfict find 112,000 dollars this week.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:10 pm
  • John Madden said on many occasions " lets put skirts on em " when commenting about unnecessary roughness calls on everyone especially QBs...Maybe we just put flags on em and be done with it. Then I stop watching. I can get another useless hobby .LOL
    xray
    NET Starter

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:14 pm
  • I really wish we could get a ex player as a Commissioner, Upshaw would have been a great one I think. It would flip things maybe the other direction for balance for a while.

Although the owners I doubt would ever allow someone that knows the players side so well to be in that position.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:14 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Burfict find 112,000 dollars this week.

Yeah, but he's dirty and can't stop. No correlation with McDougald's hit at all.
    Sonichellboy
    NET Rookie

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:36 pm
  • No flag but he still gets fined.
    The NFL basically playing Monday morning QB now. How about we start fining the refs when they screw up instead of getting a lame, "Sorry, we got that call wrong last Sunday but we'll try not to do it again."?
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:28 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:No flag but he still gets fined.
    The NFL basically playing Monday morning QB now. How about we start fining the refs when they screw up instead of getting a lame, "Sorry, we got that call wrong last Sunday but we'll try not to do it again."?

That is a great idea there really is no difference! The shield wouldn't admit when they are wrong tho or when they do nothing happens. When they are in the wrong teams should be able to fine them for more cap space!
    The office of Thomas and Chancellor specializing in Defense.
    thegreeninyoureye
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:00 pm
  • Carr should be fined for his awful throw that led his receiver straight into the hit.

What a joke. McDougald played it perfeclyt and led with his shoulder. If it wasn't for that awful throw, he would have hit Cooper's chest with his shoulder and there would have been ABSOLUTELY ZERO helmet contact.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:01 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I really wish we could get a ex player as a Commissioner, Upshaw would have been a great one I think. It would flip things maybe the other direction for balance for a while.

Although the owners I doubt would ever allow someone that knows the players side so well to be in that position.

I like the hell out of this idea, but an ex-player would make too much sense, so it probably won't happen.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:02 am
  • I don't know how the NFL works in these cases, but is there a way to appeal to this fine? Over here across the pond soccer players can appeal to fines and suspensions. Often the fine or no. games suspension are lowered or even nullified.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: Adopt a Rookie 2018

Living below sealevel: The only way is up!
    Zeearend
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:01 am

• The problem was he lowered his head to initiate contact. If he had kept his face up, he probably avoids the helmet to helmet contact.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:56 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:

The problem was he lowered his head to initiate contact. If he had kept his face up, he probably avoids the helmet to helmet contact.

By the book it is definitely a foul, but I don't know how you make that tackle without lowering your head. The ball carrier's head is waist height, what is he supposed to do? Lead with his testicles?
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:45 am
  • Trrrroy wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:

The problem was he lowered his head to initiate contact. If he had kept his face up, he probably avoids the helmet to helmet contact.

By the book it is definitely a foul, but I don't know how you make that tackle without lowering your head. The ball carrier's head is waist height, what is he supposed to do? Lead with his testicles?

There might have still been head to head contact. But if he keeps his head up, I doubt he gets fined.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:33 pm
  • Trrrroy wrote:Lead with his testicles?

Yes. Real men perform nut tackles, and when they do it on the QB, they do the nut sack.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:50 pm
  • thegreeninyoureye wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:No flag but he still gets fined.

That is a great idea there really is no difference! The shield wouldn't admit when they are wrong tho or when they do nothing happens. When they are in the wrong teams should be able to fine them for more cap space!

To be honest I thought he got away with one during the game. Luckily it didn’t get called and cost the team the 15 yard penalty. It clearly was a helmet to helmet hit Two weeks in a row two receivers get knocked out of the game by concussions from hits delivered by the secondary. The NFL is paying attention.
    cjcinec56
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:27 pm
  • I like the idea of fining Carr for a throw that led his receiver into that hit. It was as clean as McDougal could make it in the moment, did his best to lead with his shoulder. Short of being a gymnast, not that much more McDougal could reasonably do. NFL second-guessing.

In soccer, it's called a "Hospital Ball" when you make a pass to a teammate that leads them straight into a violent collision. Carr totally threw a Hospital Ball pass on that one.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:35 pm
  • We shouldn't be arguing about this. There should only be a penalty and a fine if there is intent to strike with the helmet.
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:58 pm
  • I was surprised it wasnt flagged. Cooper was bending down to catch the ball before McDougald went low. He could have avoided hemlmet to helmet contact. Not saying it was malicious, but he could have avoided it.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:31 am
  • The next CB agreement is going to be a bloodbath.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:22 am
  • Totally clean hit. Weak
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 am
  • I think he needs to appeal this fine. It seems to be knee jerk stuff and pretty unfair considering that the receiver dropped his head into the tackle. There was no targeting with the helmet here which is the evil proscribed, it was a hard tackle no doubt but the helmet was not used as a tool to punish or make the tackle.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:31 am
  • jeremiah wrote:We shouldn't be arguing about this. There should only be a penalty and a fine if there is intent to strike with the helmet.

The rule doesn't care about intent, the rules states that the player can't initiate contact or lead with his helmet on a tackle...........which McDougald did.

We can argue about how dumb, vague and poorly officiated the new rule is, which it certainly is all of these. But as far as letter of the rule, it should have been called, and McDougald should have been fined.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    jeremiah wrote:We shouldn't be arguing about this. There should only be a penalty and a fine if there is intent to strike with the helmet.

The rule doesn't care about intent, the rules states that the player can't initiate contact or lead with his helmet on a tackle...........which McDougald did.

We can argue about how dumb, vague and poorly officiated the new rule is, which it certainly is all of these. But as far as letter of the rule, it should have been called, and McDougald should have been fined.

Sarge is taking the words right out of my mouth!! To the rest of you, your homer-ism is shining through. Do a little thought experiment. Exact same play but instead of Amari Cooper it was Tyler locket who is hit by Reggie Nelson. We would have been screaming for the flag (Refs are horse dung!) and demanded he be fined by the shield. You know its true.

Regarding an ex-player as a commissioner...The commissioner is the owners employee. Why would they want to hire a commissioner who is not looking out for the owners interest. I may disagree with a lot of the owners but when it comes to running their businesses, they are all well above average. Maybe the CEO of Boeing should make the union president the chairman of the board. sounds kind of stupid in that context.
    HawkerD
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:21 am
  • It was a clean hit, period. Even the announcers were saying so. Has zero to do with what team it was.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:00 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:It was a clean hit, period. Even the announcers were saying so. Has zero to do with what team it was.

It's almost impossible to lead with your helmet anymore than McDougald did on this it. It's literally a textbook example of the penalty. Both the crown and contact initiated with helmet.

Confusing that people are seeing it any other way.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:03 pm
  • xray wrote:John Madden said on many occasions " lets put skirts on em " when commenting about unnecessary roughness calls on everyone especially QBs...Maybe we just put flags on em and be done with it. Then I stop watching. I can get another useless hobby .LOL

Lol imagine if he said that now.. he'd have angry feminists lined up at his door
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:20 pm
  • Meh, matter of opinion I guess.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:30 pm
  • Camera angles are very important. Watch the full replay from the back view and front view (youtube above) you can clearly see he leads with his shoulder. He does hit him in the head but IMO he is not leading with his helmet.
    "When is the NFL going to start fining receivers for running routes across KAM’S MIDDLE?!?!"
    -bpup33
    Sprfunk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:12 pm
  • Sprfunk wrote:Camera angles are very important. Watch the full replay from the back view and front view (youtube above) you can clearly see he leads with his shoulder. He does hit him in the head but IMO he is not leading with his helmet.

This. If you look from directly behind and not the side view camera, the hit was shoulder to shoulder. Just so happens that both players have two heads attached to those shoulders and they collided as well.

What the field judge saw from his angle behind the play would have been a legal hit.

McDougald led with his shoulder, helmet got into the tackle because of, well, anatomy and physics. And the NFL deems that should be fined. I honestly have no answer for defensive players anymore. I don't know what McDougald could have done in that "bang-bang" situation short of taking Cooper's helmet on his own chin if he just stood there trying to wrap up.

You either stop with this fining nonsense and let them play with waivers or you put flags on them all and be done with it.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:45 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:55 am
  • The problem is that his helmet hit Cooper’s. He may have led with the shoulder, but his head dipped down and their helmets collided. Whether we agree with it or not, that is going to get called out by the league as a violation of the rule.

Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:48 am
  • Of course Seahawks fans are up in arms about this. Of course they are.

Guys, it is this simple.....

If you're a receiver, and you have to go down to catch a ball or whatever, you have to be able to do so without risking being knocked out cold. It is the simplest rule in the book....do whatever you have to do to make sure the receiver doesn't get knocked out. It's that simple.

In this case, it would have involved tackling with his head behind, which ironically enough has been named a "Hawk" tackle, as we do it more often than anyone else in the NFL.

Just have to do whatever it takes to not knock someone out.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:49 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:It was a clean hit, period. Even the announcers were saying so. Has zero to do with what team it was.

there is a way to conduct that hit cleanly, and that wasn't it.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:58 am
  • sc85sis wrote:The problem is that his helmet hit Cooper’s. He may have led with the shoulder, but his head dipped down and their helmets collided. Whether we agree with it or not, that is going to get called out by the league as a violation of the rule.

Reason and logic have no place here when discussing negative things a Seahawk did.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:22 pm
  • Agree to disagree. Clean hit
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:13 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Agree to disagree. Clean hit

If it was a clean hit, Amari Cooper would not have been knocked out cold. It really is as simple as that. Intent doesn't matter. Trying to hit with your shoulder doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that McDougalds helmet contacted a defenseless receiver's helmet. This, is fact, and is the only fact that matters. Are you disagreeing that McDougald's helmet came into contact with a defenseless receiver's helmet?
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:25 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Agree to disagree. Clean hit

If it was a clean hit, Amari Cooper would not have been knocked out cold. It really is as simple as that. Intent doesn't matter. Trying to hit with your shoulder doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that McDougalds helmet contacted a defenseless receiver's helmet. This, is fact, and is the only fact that matters. Are you disagreeing that McDougald's helmet came into contact with a defenseless receiver's helmet?

You have to remember that Soulfish and other homers on this board think the Hawks are going 16-0 and to the SB every year, so to try and inject some logic into this conversation is a futile effort.

But believe me, if it was Lockett or Doug that got knocked out with a concussion, and might miss multiple weeks Soulfish would have a different opinion on the legality of the hit.

The tape clearly shows initiated contact with the helmet AND McDougald leading with his helmet, his feet are literally off the ground. It can now be used in classrooms all over the country to show players what NOT to do.

But again, barking up the wrong tree if you're trying to engage homers in this discussion.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:30 pm
  • :? I have been saying 9-7 all year, nice try. I have a right to my opinion, it was a clean hit. But, clearly it wasn't since they fined him. You have a right to your opinion. Geezus, it never ends on this site. You don't know s about me, or how I see the game. I have no problem saying that the other team got hosed in the same situation. Plenty of teams have been shafted on calls by the refs, including who the Hawks are playing. Shoot, look at all these penalties around the league with guys landing on the QB, in a football game. It's ridiculous. Green Bay lost a game because of it.
    God forbid someone thinks that a hit shouldn't have been a penalty and/or a fine. And why is that when a player naturally ducks down to avoid contact, it's automatically the fault of the defender?
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:38 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Whatever, I have been saying 9-7 all year, nice try. I have a right to my opinion, it was a clean hit. But, clearly it wasn't since they fined him. You have a right to your opinion. Geezus, it never ends on this site. You don't know s about me, or how I see the game. I have no problem saying that the other team got hosed in the same situation. Plenty of teams have been shafted on calls by the refs, including who the Hawks are playing. Shoot, look at all these penalties around the league with guys landing on the QB, in a football game. It's ridiculous. Green Bay lost a game because of it.
    God forbid someone thinks that a hit shouldn't have been a penalty and/or a fine.

I said that in my very first post on this thread, if you'd like to talk about how terrible the rule is worded, or how poorly it's being officiated?

I'm all ears, but if you can't watch a video and see McDougald hit Cooper with his helmet causing him to be concussed and knocked out of the game? Then what are we doing here? It couldn't be more obvious, and you guys are LITERALLY the only ones in the entire country that think it was a clean hit.

If that's not blatant homerism, I don't know what it.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:41 pm
  • I think he lead with his shoulder, don't like my opinion, oh well. And yes, I can see that helmet did contact Cooper's helmet, AFTER he lead with the shoulder all I'm saying. So, I stand corrected, if the rule is that helmets can't touch, in a FOOTBALL GAME, then ok, not a clean hit. I don't have to agree with it or like it, let alone the direction the league is going with this stuff.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:45 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I think he lead with his shoulder, don't like my opinion, oh well.

Even though their helmets hit each other first.............in the video...............of the hit we're discussing.................OK then.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:48 pm
  • How is a defender supposed to predict when a player is gonna' duck his head last second? It's not possible. But go ahead and call me a homer if it makes you feel better. This has nothing to do with the Seahawks, this is league wide crap that needs to be figured out. There are plenty of people on here who don't like the call.
    Doesn't matter, it's just talking football. Have a good day.
    Go Hawks
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:24 pm
  • It doesn't matter if he lead with his shoulder. It doesn't matter if Cooper ducked. The defender has to do whatever it takes, and anticipate whatever must be anticipated, in order to ensure the receiver is not knocked out. That is what is asked of him. Was Cooper knocked out? If so, how can one possibly argue the legality of the hit?
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:35 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:How is a defender supposed to predict when a player is gonna' duck his head last second? It's not possible. But go ahead and call me a homer if it makes you feel better. This has nothing to do with the Seahawks, this is league wide crap that needs to be figured out. There are plenty of people on here who don't like the call.
    Doesn't matter, it's just talking football. Have a good day.
    Go Hawks

He can't. All defenders need to consider a career change to offense to save on their God fines. That otta help sell the sport commish. :roll: :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:22 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information