‘Utterly Bizarre’: Seahawks fans from around the world find

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is such a great story about the London game and Worldwide Seahawks fans! :2thumbs:

‘Utterly Bizarre’: Seahawks fans from around the world find kindred spirits at a London bar

They came from Germany, Scotland, England, Canada, France, Denmark — you name it. This is the global story of how 12s from outside the United States fell in love with the Seahawks.

By Mike Vorel -- Seattle Times staff reporter

I thought the Seahawks had a cool helmet design,” Brendan said from the bowels of the line, surrounded by kindred spirits. “That was the simple reason why I fell for the Seahawks.”

He fell so hard, in fact, that the Clarkes opted for a honeymoon in Seattle in fall 2004. On Halloween night, they watched the Seahawks defeat the Panthers, 23-17. Shaun Alexander ran for 195 yards and a touchdown, and Josh Brown connected on three consecutive field goals in the second half to ice the game.

The Seahawks won, the stadium shook and a pair of newlyweds found a second home in a far-off city in the Pacific Northwest.

“It was pretty easy (to love the Seahawks), to be fair, because Seattle as a city is just amazing, and it’s got such a laid-back vibe,” Michelle Clarke said.

On the street, the line is littered with jerseys — from Wilson to Alexander to Matt Hasselbeck to Walter Jones to Steve Largent to Rocky Bernard.

DpVA4yvU4AAkCPD

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ondon-bar/

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
That's a great picture, but I'm having trouble getting it to post.

A friend of mine sent me a link to 2018 attendance numbers, Seattle is pretty high for home and away.

68,970 per home game, 100.3% which I believe means percentage of Stadium seating capacity filled.

65,522 for away games! Which is 98.4%! This includes Seahawks and opposing fans, but it also means that when the Seahawks play, their games are well attended!

Rams are 73.9 home, 99.0% away. But, they played in Seattle...

SF 101% Home, 97.6 away

AZ 95.2/88.1

Bottom of the barrel teams? Indianapolis, Cincy, Oakland and the Chargers, in that order.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

Seymour

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":mljdwlkw said:
That might be the coolest Seahawk getup I've ever seen.

LOL.....gotta admit that is a pretty snappy outfit! :irishdrinkers: :2thumbs:

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I keep forgetting that my work PC blocks images :p I thought I was doing something wrong and gave up. Then looked on my phone, there it was! :34853_doh:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
You know its funnny but as a teenager in Saskatchewan when American cable TV arrived in 1983, I largely fell in love with the Seahawks for two reasons. Really cool helmets and Steve Largent. I can relate to Brendan in the article.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2b96sesl said:
You know its funnny but as a teenager in Saskatchewan when American cable TV arrived in 1983, I largely fell in love with the Seahawks for two reasons. Really cool helmets and Steve Largent. I can relate to Brendan in the article.
Same for me,1983,cool helmets and kit,Largent, beat Raiders home and away,but unfortunately not the third time,here we are 35 years later. London was amazing,thanks Hawks, thanks Paul R.I.P.. GoHawks :irishdrinkers:

NukePack

Reaction score
My fandom started with 1979 seahawks pajamas for christmas and then jim zorn. Why zorn? Because his last name started with z and he is a lefty. Why pajamas? I asked my mom but she has no idea why.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
JCPenny's Christmas catalog with all NFL team helmets. I was 7. When I saw the Seahawks helmet I INSTANTLY fell in love. At the time I was a Vikings fan (I liked the color purple and loved their logo)...But this Seahawks team, with the blue and green and cool logo? WAAAAAY better. And to find out that it was MY brand-spanking new HOMETOWN NFL team?

Indescribable. Never looked back since.

As for the Seahawks now global? Never in a million years would I have ever imagined. I grew up in Kent, Washington. The Kingdome was a mere 15 miles from my house. I never thought there were fans outside of Washington for many years. It wasn't until I created the site that I began to realize Seahawks fans were all over. But now?? The growth is simply amazing to me.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
1976 (or maybe 1975, anybody who says they clearly remember the 70s wasn't there). Prior to Seattle getting a team, I watched the NFL on TV and sort of rooted for SF because it seemed to my teenage sensibilities to be a close match for Seattle as a city. Then, we got The Seahawks. The team was doing a 'barnstorming tour' to drum up support prior to season 1. They sent a couple of players down to Sumner WA to address a whole-student-body assembly of Sumner High School (shortly after we won the state 3A football championship for the first time). These two guys from the team got up and spoke, and there were two main reactions. Understand, they wore jeans and flannel shirts and mostly looked like us except taller, fitter, and more good-looking. All they guys were like "Man! I want to hang out with these dudes!" All the girls were like "<I can't even go there. I think they all wanted to have their babies...>" Anyway, it was two guys we'd never heard of before - Jim Zorn and Steve Largent. Been a 100% fan since that day 42 years ago.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
pmedic920":27jjz8gv said:
Attyla the Hawk":27jjz8gv said:
That might be the coolest Seahawk getup I've ever seen.

Cool yes but someone needs to buy him a different pendant, that alternate logo is the WORST ever.

YMMV

Agreed. I wish it never made it to market personally.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
12's were everywhere.
This trip to Europe was different than the others. I told my wife, in every block we walk we have something in common with at least one person. People in Hawks gear would come right up and start conversations.
Asked a guy for directions on where to get a beer, and when he turned around, it was Leif.
Those in Europe love the Hawks and from my angle only see the positive things and don't even mention negative crap.
Truly refreshing.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
Cool although can not see article since it blocks people with adblockers and there was no way I could read it with all the crap ads on the ST site.

BTW I had to pull the plug on my trip from YYZ even though I had free tickets...ughhhhhhh. Sucky too given it was such a great time it appears.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Had an amazing time in London and Paris. We took over London, and the people were so cool out there. Very welcoming. The Saturday night party at Revolution was pretty crazy, packed to the rim w/fans. I was surprised that the biggest cheer when Raible was talking to the crowd was when he mentioned Germany. Clearly we have a huge amount of fans there. It was just a blast spending a week out there and seeing Hawks fans everywhere we went.