What affect will PAs death have?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
With the death of Paul Allen, we have threads dedicated to mourning his death, the future of this franchise, potential memorials, etc. What affect, if any will his death have on the outcome of this season? The team seems to be coming together and developing their own persona independent from years past. Going into this season, most viewed 2018 as a rebuilding year. None of that has changed. What has changed is that the guiding influence of this franchise over the past two decades is now gone. There isn’t a person from PC and JS to players and 12s alike, who hasn’t felt his loss in their hearts and minds. Paul Allen was and will continue to be the soul of this franchise for many many years. Perhaps for as long as the team and football remains.

Will his death be a unifying factor in taking what appears to be a team coming together and on the rise to a team that rallies with each other to creat something special to honor Mr Allen? Lesser teams have “caught lightening in a bottle “.

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind if we retired #13 with Allen on its back cuz he had the 12th backs,Hope it stays in his family some how but most importantly Seattlt!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1ku3cgbt said:
With the death of Paul Allen, we have threads dedicated to mourning his death, the future of this franchise, potential memorials, etc. What affect, if any will his death have on the outcome of this season? The team seems to be coming together and developing their own persona independent from years past. Going into this season, most viewed 2018 as a rebuilding year. None of that has changed. What has changed is that the guiding influence of this franchise over the past two decades is now gone. There isn’t a person from PC and JS to players and 12s alike, who hasn’t felt his loss in their hearts and minds. Paul Allen was and will continue to be the soul of this franchise for many many years. Perhaps for as long as the team and football remains.

Will his death be a unifying factor in taking what appears to be a team coming together and on the rise to a team that rallies with each other to creat something special to honor Mr Allen? Lesser teams have “caught lightening in a bottle “.
It will have zero effect this season and it will not be a unifying factor, it will be business as usual. Paul Allen wasn't exactly involved in the day to day affairs of the franchise. I don't think any of the guys personally had a relationship with him either. He was an owner that had a hands off philosophy outside of hiring the head coaches. He approached it from a business prospective. Hire the people that have the talents you don't to fill in the blind spots, and focus on building the team brand. He held a meeting with Carroll this off-season, but I doubt that meeting had any other meaning other than checking the direction this team is going in after a tumultuous 2017 campaign -- not anything to do with player acquisition or direct intervention ala Jerreh.

The only thing we may see is a more of a win now mentality from Pete. For example, even less Raashad Penny. Maybe a few of the younger D-LINE members don't make it into the rotation as much as they should have. Pocic stays on the bench in favor of Sweezy and Fluker barring injury for the whole season. Maybe more Carson, little moves like this that are less about the future and more about immediate results. We've already been doing some of these, but maybe the moves become more pronounced. Pete Carroll is auditioning for his extension, and job right now. May have gotten it underneath Paul Allen, but as we know the future of the Seahawks upper management is in flux right now. As of now Jody Allen is running the show, but I could realistically see this franchise sold to the highest bidder to fund Vulcan's philanthropy efforts. Even if it remains in Vulcan's hand we have an known quantity in Jody Allen. We do not know what her management style would be like apart from Paul, nor are we aware of how deep her fandom goes.

Now, if Vulcan does decide to sell the Seahawks we're faced with the prospect of an unknown entity. We could very well get a Jerry Jones, or a Snyder sort of character that tries to leave his mark on the Seahawks. This season will become less about development, and more about win now for Pete in my opinion. This season is a tryout for the new owner. I think a tell tale sign of this would perhaps be less of an emphasis placed on Wilson's pocket passing.

xray

Reaction score
Well put Spin Doctor. He was a businessman first and foremost. He was hands off with his teams. He hired people to make everything successful . But I would bet that Paul Allen would have fired Carroll & company at the end of this year if the Hawks didn't at least split the season 8-8. Carroll like you said is auditioning for the next owner from here on. The players; like you said didn't have a relationship with him; so they are just wanting to keep their jobs too. I'm fairly new to this site but how often did Paul Allen post in here? Never I'm guessing. In a week or two there won't be many posts about him. In the sports world even the gr8s that die are forgotten rather quickly. He will be no different. We all turn the page. IMO GO HAWKS!

chris98251

Reaction score
xray":1urnm8sz said:
Well put Spin Doctor. He was a businessman first and foremost. He was hands off with his teams. He hired people to make everything successful . But I would bet that Paul Allen would have fired Carroll & company at the end of this year if the Hawks didn't at least split the season 8-8. Carroll like you said is auditioning for the next owner from here on. The players; like you said didn't have a relationship with him; so they are just wanting to keep their jobs too. I'm fairly new to this site but how often did Paul Allen post in here? Never I'm guessing. In a week or two there won't be many posts about him. In the sports world even the gr8s that die are forgotten rather quickly. He will be no different. We all turn the page. IMO GO HAWKS!

Your selling this board short, we remember, we remember the great players frequently in posts, we remember John Nordstrom for bring the Seahawks here, we remember members like Cheinel, Les, Sharkhawk, and people that moved on like Doug Farrar, we will not forget Paul here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't know how Allen's death couldn't have a very profound effect on the Hawks, and every business and charity he was passionate about.

You don't replace an owner like Allen, you just don't. We as fans just have to hope whoever the new owner is as passionate about winning and not just coming in and cleaning house for the sake of cleaning house.

Whether that's his sister, or after the team is sold to someone else.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fx18u2z said:
I don't know how Allen's death couldn't have a very profound effect on the Hawks, and every business and charity he was passionate about.

You don't replace an owner like Allen, you just don't. We as fans just have to hope whoever the new owner is as passionate about winning and not just coming in and cleaning house for the sake of cleaning house.

The tone of every organization and team is set from above. Teams often take on the personality of their coach or in some cases the owner (Dallas, Washington, Al Davis Raiders). With the SeahawksPaul Allens personality permeated throughout the team in much subtler ways. The Seahawks have a much different vibe about them than they did before Paul Allen bought the team. They had a different tone during the Behring years than they did during the Nordstrom years. Whether you believe it or not, his absence will have an affect on this team, this year. It may not be quantifiably noticeable, but going forward, it will be different. Pete and John had a relationship with Mr. Allen that none of us will know or understand. Their mental awareness and attitude regarding this team will surely be changed going forward. That in turn will be passed onto the players. We don't really know how it will play out, but it will. Pete may or may not feel added pressure to win, he might sense that he has less pressure. We don't know what the relationship or mood was between coach and owner but now it is absent.

Pete may know exactly what the plans for the team moving forward are. He may not. The stability or instability of his future and the teams future has most likely already changed the team. I have worked in places where new ownership has taken over and places where you were aware that ownership would be changing and there is a definate feeling of difference in the air. I'm thinking that this may result in a rallying of the troops and a team dealing with a closeness that might not have been there before.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3qry70tf said:
Sgt. Largent":3qry70tf said:

The tone of every organization and team is set from above. Teams often take on the personality of their coach or in some cases the owner (Dallas, Washington, Al Davis Raiders). With the SeahawksPaul Allens personality permeated throughout the team in much subtler ways. The Seahawks have a much different vibe about them than they did before Paul Allen bought the team. They had a different tone during the Behring years than they did during the Nordstrom years. Whether you believe it or not, his absence will have an affect on this team, this year. It may not be quantifiably noticeable, but going forward, it will be different. Pete and John had a relationship with Mr. Allen that none of us will know or understand. Their mental awareness and attitude regarding this team will surely be changed going forward. That in turn will be passed onto the players. We don't really know how it will play out, but it will. Pete may or may not feel added pressure to win, he might sense that he has less pressure. We don't know what the relationship or mood was between coach and owner but now it is absent.

Pete may know exactly what the plans for the team moving forward are. He may not. The stability or instability of his future and the teams future has most likely already changed the team. I have worked in places where new ownership has taken over and places where you were aware that ownership would be changing and there is a definate feeling of difference in the air. I'm thinking that this may result in a rallying of the troops and a team dealing with a closeness that might not have been there before.

Well said, and I agree.

Although I disagree about Pete, he's almost 70 years old.........the way he's wired isn't going to change without Allen. Allen's absence isn't going to affect him becoming complacent and not "competing" as hard as he has for the better part of 40 years.

chris98251

Reaction score
I have not read a lot after the initial releases other then it may take a month or so to get all of his businesses settled out, the Boards have to vote in a new CEO of operations for each one, I know several are under one or two bigger umbrella corps but still setting up meetings take time. Then you have the three franchises he is involved with, Sounders, Blazers and Seahawks, do those rights get sold for any of them and does his sister maintain interest in operations. That doesn't even include his Estate and his personal holdings.

Latest posts