Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

710 (Salk) going on about Doug and Russ

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
710 (Salk) going on about Doug and Russ
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:00 am
  • Am I missing something here? He's talking as if Doug was one of the sources for those ESPN articles and that Doug has been talking behind Russ' back. Was this ever confirmed? A quick google search turned up nothing for me on that front. Salk went as far as to predict this is Doug's last season and that he's the 3rd or 4th option at WR. What nonsense IMO. Doug is absolutely our best receiver, but he's been hurt. The guy's playing on two bum knees and missed basically three games. Russ should freeze Doug out for allegedly talking crap behind his back? What nonsense.

Also he's harping on about Doug's story about Marshawn giving him the backpack and making fun of Doug for it - as if that's the only reason Doug loves Marshawn.

I really like the show and this is the only issue I've had with it so far. It's just bizarre. Do y'all think there's anything to this?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• He didn’t say he had any inside info. He just said he interpreted Doug Baldwin’s praise of Marshawn Lynch and his authenticity to be a subtle jab at those who project a false image of themselves on social media, which he thinks refers to a criticism of Russell Wilson. He says he could be wrong with his interpretation, and he probably is.

The last two weeks, Russell has been lauding Baldwin with praise as a “star” and what a difference maker he would be for the offense once he returned from his injury.

And Baldwin spent much of the off-season praising Wilson, saying this is the best he’s ever been. I don’t think Baldwin has ever been more complimentary of Russell. He stopped with the juvenile remarks and jealousy around 2015, when their connect on the field was at its strongest.

Baldwin is just starting to return to form from his injuries. Schottenheimer is still learning how to incorporate Baldwin’s route running style into the offense. Quick hitters to Baldwin would be a nice way to keep the defense on its toes, as they are likely to be expecting run.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Salk definitely said Doug was one of the guys talking about Russ to ESPN for those articles.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:Salk definitely said Doug was one of the guys talking about Russ to ESPN for those articles.

I must have missed that part this morning. Let me know if you get a quote on that. It would be a pretty significant accusation.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Sportsradio in this town is crap. They are on the level of the National Enquirer.
    The only listenable guy is John Clayton, the rest is just gossipy inuendo.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I thought it was surprising that Doug had only 1 catch for 1 yard in Sunday’s game.
    cjcinec56
    NET Bench Warmer

• Really hoping this is just Salk stirring ish up. This doesn't seem like Doug at all to be an anonymous source for a negative story about his team and QB. Doug seems to be pretty straight forward and willing to put his name behind his opinions.
    T-Hawk
    NET Practice Squad

• Was that really Mike Salk? He's not hosting today; Bob Stelton and Jake Heaps are hosing today. I heard them talking about Baldwin but I didn't specifically hear them say Baldwin was the source.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

• Sports Hernia wrote:Sportsradio in this town is crap. They are on the level of the National Enquirer.

I agree that most isn't good but I actually like Brock and Salk a lot.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Salk definitely said Doug was one of the guys talking about Russ to ESPN for those articles.

I must have missed that part this morning. Let me know if you get a quote on that. It would be a pretty significant accusation.

I think he said that yesterday's show. When I get home I will send you a link with timestamp
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Jazzhawk wrote:Was that really Mike Salk? He's not hosting today; Bob Stelton and Jake Heaps are hosing today. I heard them talking about Baldwin but I didn't specifically hear them say Baldwin was the source.

You're right, today was Bob and Jake. Salk actually started talking about this Wednesday and kept on through Thursday. Shoot maybe it even started Tuesday. I will check.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Not sure Salk was saying he knew Doug was one of the malcontents as it involves Wilson. Rather he seemed to call into question how Doug has "called out" Wilson, but never Lynch. Especially with the recent story about Baldwin praising Lynch for giving him his backpack when Baldwin was a rookie. Folks giving Lynch a pass for being Lynch and nitpicking Wilson, even though Wilson has never skipped practices, games, etc.

I get what he was saying, but I think he may be over analyzing random comments when forming this opinion.
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

• lukerguy wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Sportsradio in this town is crap. They are on the level of the National Enquirer.

I agree that most isn't good but I actually like Brock and Salk a lot.

Brock is very good, Salk has always felt like an awkward fit. Also in the city I enjoy John Clayton and Ian Furness - both are smart, intelligent, measured, and conduct excellent interviews.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• Even though I do not really care for Chuck on the KJR morning show, I have switched to this show as Salk is just becoming insufferable. He and Jim Moore are the two absolute worst sports talk hosts. Throwing Seahawk future legends like Baldwin and Sherm under the bus.
    vigilantgrrl
    NET Practice Squad

• This again, huh.

Players are not fans. They are a bunch of Alphas all in one place and don't "follow" each other with the same peasant mentality that the average fan does. Almost anything is feasible in an NFL locker room, college, or even high school. Your belief in one thing or a other isn't required or even relevant.

That said, this very well coud be Doug's last season with the Hawks. Outstanding reciever and a very likeable character, but it's about that time when his body is starting to break down, they just gave a contract to another smaller WR, they have an up and comer, and likely have other contract demands in mind for the future.

It's sad, but it's a cutthroat business. Bes' get the hump up out your back sooner than later.
    Last edited by vin.couve12 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• I love Salk now. I used to absolutely hate him when they first started. However, over the years seeing him truly fall in love with Seattle has been really cool I think. He still gets on a soap box sometimes about things I think are dumb (like this ADB thing), but you aren't going to agree with everything everyone says or thinks in life. People should realize that and stop letting that be a point of division but rather a point of discussion.

I personally don't buy into any of the Doug vs Russ stuff. If anything I feel like they've grown closer over the years playing together. Wasn't it ADB who jumped Sherman's @ss for getting on Russ too much in practice?
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Doug is 30. The reality is that not many players play into their 30s. He obviously won’t be at 100% anytime this season. It’s always a possibility that this might be his last season in Seattle. Age and injuries have a way of depleting the best players and eventually apply to everyone. I look for him to start playing better after the bye week. I won’t be surprised either way if he’s back next year or not.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• Let's face the facts that very few Seahawk players "gush" over Wilson. He is not a locker room favorite.....wonder why?? :stirthepot:
    xray
    NET Starter

• Dead money and cap saving for cutting Doug after this season:

Dead:
    $6,287,500

Savings:
    $6,856,250

If he doesn't recover and return to form by the end of the season I could see cutting him as a possibility but I think it would be at least one season too early to think about cutting him just because he's over 30 and they need cap space. As it stands the team is in pretty good shape cap-wise (over $70m under if you count Kam as being cut), especially if you assume Earl will move on.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• A-Dog wrote:Dead money and cap saving for cutting Doug after this season:

Dead:
    $6,287,500

Savings:
    $6,856,250

If he doesn't recover and return to form by the end of the season I could see cutting him as a possibility but I think it would be at least one season too early to think about cutting him just because he's over 30 and they need cap space. As it stands the team is in pretty good shape cap-wise (over $70m under if you count Kam as being cut), especially if you assume Earl will move on.

Right, because cutting your only proven receiver is a path to fixing the offense. He isn't even paid much for a receiver of his caliber. If he declines as an outside receiver he would quite possibly be the best slot receiver in the NFL, just bump him there on most downs. Everyone loves jumping on the Lockett hype train, but in the grand scheme of things we don't know how he'll hold up as a full time starter, nor how he'll look as a full season starter on the outside.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• To be clear, I'm not in favor of cutting Baldwin. Someone else brought up the possibility so I looked at the cap situation. He has a $13M+ cap number next year so it's reasonable to think he could be cut if his effectiveness is in question due to health reasons. Hopefully he makes it back to full speed in the second half of the season so it's no longer a question.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• xray wrote:Let's face the facts that very few Seahawk players "gush" over Wilson. He is not a locker room favorite.....wonder why?? :stirthepot:

Why do almost all your posts seem to contain one of these -> :stirthepot:

Never mind, I know why. :roll:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• oldhawkfan wrote:Doug is 30. The reality is that not many players play into their 30s. He obviously won’t be at 100% anytime this season. It’s always a possibility that this might be his last season in Seattle. Age and injuries have a way of depleting the best players and eventually apply to everyone. I look for him to start playing better after the bye week. I won’t be surprised either way if he’s back next year or not.

Age isn't a factor for a WR until about 33-34, they aren't runningbacks.

Fitz would've retired years ago. Antonio Brown is 30, Julio will be 30 in Feb.

Bobby Engram was a better receiver in his 30s than in his 20s.

Bobby Engram at age 34 caught 94 balls for 1147 yds.

Stahp.

Getting rid of Baldwin would be beyond stupid. Not re-signing him eventually when his deal is up is another thing all together.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• I think it's pretty well known that Doug at least a few years back would shade/vaguebook RW quite often online and in media. It hasn't seemed obvious to me in recent years but him being a source on that ESPN story would not be all out shocking. I mean Sherm is his boy and Sherm was clearly the main source so him saying 'call my boy Doug and get some quotes' wouldn't be that crazy a notion.
    erik2690
    NET Starter

• erik2690 wrote:I think it's pretty well known that Doug at least a few years back would shade/vaguebook RW quite often online and in media. It hasn't seemed obvious to me in recent years but him being a source on that ESPN story would not be all out shocking. I mean Sherm is his boy and Sherm was clearly the main source so him saying 'call my boy Doug and get some quotes' wouldn't be that crazy a notion.

That's my thing too. I think it's likely Salk has access to rumors that the rest of us don't. "Thoughtful" Doug Baldwin has several times publicly criticized RW. He's been given a pass because he's so "thoughtful" and just keeping it real etc. A few years ago, you couldn't even mention in this town not having Richard Sherman on the team. Sherm received pass after pass, as everyone took Pete Carroll's lead. It turned out what we were seeing on the surface (which was bad enough) was just the tip of the iceberg. It didn't bother anyone here when you saw Doug screaming at a Seahawks front office guy on the sidelines this year - in his street clothes? Is it at all a stretch to think someone willing to do that might also be an anonymous source for the drive-by national sports media?

Pete creates a culture on his team where players are allowed to be themselves. Unfortunately, this sometimes comes back to bite him in the ass. You can't go to youtube and watch Russell Wilson highlights without seeing a phenomenal amount of
    Doug Baldwin highlights. He might or might not have years left as a player. Lately, the trend seems to be to part ways with players who think they are bigger than the team. It might be time for Doug too.
    trharder
    NET Practice Squad

• I think Doug with a off season surgery probably will be fine and rehab, that's not his problem long term, he may need to manage it a lot this year.

Dougs issue is he is one of a few hold overs, Wagner, Thomas, Wright and Wilson I think are the others. Roster Churn, Salary savings. Wright and Baldwin may be the next two we see leave, especially if you look at who is getting reps and being given chances right now.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• The only town that Baldwin carries any weight is Seattle. Where is "the best receiver" on this team ending up? Rams? New England? Pack? Not a chance. He should learn some humility as his free market value is far below his asking price. He is a good player, and he thrived in a bad offense and maybe he goes someplace and lights it up. I just don't see it.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    NOLAHawk
    NET Rookie

• NOLAHawk wrote:The only town that Baldwin carries any weight is Seattle. Where is "the best receiver" on this team ending up? Rams? New England? Pack? Not a chance. He should learn some humility as his free market value is far below his asking price. He is a good player, and he thrived in a bad offense and maybe he goes someplace and lights it up. I just don't see it.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I strongly disagree with this. Doug has arguably the best release off the line and us a top tier route runner. Put him with Brady and he's Wes Welker 2.0, definitely better than Edelman.

Being in Seattle's system has absolutely hurt Doug's production potential.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:Sportsradio in this town is crap. They are on the level of the National Enquirer.

Tes, Sports Radio has to fill a lot of time and they're constantly reacting to a local current sports event" or issue.
    Vesuve
    NET Rookie

• erik2690 wrote:I think it's pretty well known that Doug at least a few years back would shade/vaguebook RW quite often online and in media. It hasn't seemed obvious to me in recent years but him being a source on that ESPN story would not be all out shocking. I mean Sherm is his boy and Sherm was clearly the main source so him saying 'call my boy Doug and get some quotes' wouldn't be that crazy a notion.

It’s still just gossip and innuendo, unless he actually knows something about that anonymous source.

Since around 2015, I’ve heard Baldwin be nothing but complimentary of Russell Wilson. Baldwin matured and became a better teammate.

The speculation (without evidence) just stirs the pot and risks complicating things and getting in Wilson’s head.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Vesuve wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Sportsradio in this town is crap. They are on the level of the National Enquirer.

Tes, Sports Radio has to fill a lot of time and they're constantly reacting to a local current sports event" or issue.

They also are known to make shit up, and start stuff with players (see Jim Moore) to create a story/controversy.
    Like I said, on the level of the National Enquirer at times.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information