George Fant

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
So Fant has played a little TE lately because of the injuries at the position (Dissly). He has basically come in as an extra blocking TE. Why not? He’s the backup Tackle so having him as an extra blocker is a great move. Fant played basketball in college so the guy obviously is athletic and as someone who handled a basketball must have some good hands. Could we see him eventually running some TE routes as a receiver? He would have to report as a tackle eligible when doing so. I’m sure the NFL has a rule somewhere that players can only have one number. But what if he were also theoretically assigned a receiver eligible number? I remember way back in HS we went a couple of games were one of our guys had to play on the line occasionally. He had an extra jersey that he would slip on for those plays.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He will keep his online number so he can always play online and just check in as a receiver on plays he is a TE. He played as a TE during his limited time at Western Kentucky so he could run a few fake-out routes just to put some stuff on film.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Seahawks used to do this back in the SB years with Gary Gilliam. I remember Lynch beating down the 49ers in the NFC championship with a lot of this formation.

JGreen79

Reaction score
lukerguy":1r294fid said:
Seahawks used to do this back in the SB years with Gary Gilliam. I remember Lynch beating down the 49ers in the NFC championship with a lot of this formation.

Also this beauty.

[youtube]yUlbcN-31rY[/youtube]

evergreen

Reaction score
That was awesome. I wonder if he had to check in as a receiver...

hawk45

Reaction score
I was not happy with Fant as an LT and the fact that his lack of experience at the position was used as a mitigating factor in his poor performance. I cheer when a player plays well at their position, not because their lack of experience means they are a good story while letting Wilson get ear-holed.

But I really like Fant as a blocking TE, and working him in at that role and slowly developing him as a real NFL tackle is something I totally approve of. I'm rooting for him now that we don't have a stupid Cable approach with the player. He IS a good story, and a guy fans want to get behind, but coaches being smart about it is what enabled me to be happy when he's out there instead of pissed that we take fliers on out of position players.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Who was it that called for not reporting as a reciever and we got penalised for an illegal formation?

olyfan63

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":39pqmb9g said:
Who was it that called for not reporting as a reciever and we got penalised for an illegal formation?

I don't think it was Fant, I believe it may have been Joey Hunt.
As a backup center, tackle-eligible report-in to the refs would not be part of your past experience.
I think the Seahawks sent him in as an extra TE/OL on the play where this happened.
Anyone remember more specifics than I just shared?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":2xvnykdd said:
UK_Seahawk":2xvnykdd said:

I don't think it was Fant, I believe it may have been Joey Hunt.
As a backup center, tackle-eligible report-in to the refs would not be part of your past experience.
I think the Seahawks sent him in as an extra TE/OL on the play where this happened.
Anyone remember more specifics than I just shared?
I think you maybe right. I remember Carroll doing the chest wipe signal after the penalty.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
He played 18 snaps at TE with tremendous success. For what it’s worth, Fant was PFF’s highest graded player from the game with a 90+ grade. Our future opponents may assume we are running the ball when we go heavy (15/18 runs). But that’s something we may be able to take advantage of, especially with screens and action plays. Fant even supposedly ran a route on one of those three passing plays, though I don’t recall it.

Swoopes had some nice blocks too, which surprised me because I thought that was his weakness. That route and catch he made was really smooth.

Dickson finally gets a chance to play next week, and maybe Vannett will return from his injury. With those guys in the fold, hope they continue to feature the heavy set. It allows us to dominate the line of scrimmage in a way we probably won’t with the true TEs.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2ib8og5m said:
Dickson finally gets a chance to play next week, and maybe Vannett will return from his injury. With those guys in the fold, hope they continue to feature the heavy set. It allows us to dominate the line of scrimmage in a way we probably won’t with the true TEs.
4 TE set? LOLOL