SB 49 Hypothetical Question

Hawker8989

Reaction score
Butler intercepts the ball. 20 seconds left. Let's assume New England takes a safety and kicks the ball off. There's about 18 or 19 seconds left.

How confident would you have been in Russell driving the field for a game winning field goal? Did it ever cross your mind they could possibly take an intentional safety? Without Bennett going offsides, the Patriots were in a tough position. Brady was literally taking the snap in the end zone (Or near it).

Thoughts?

Crizilla

Reaction score
NE is really good at QB sneaks. I think they could have snapped it and gained a half yard or yard to run out the clock. Game was over after the INT pretty much.

Seymour

Reaction score
Speaking of SB 49 I have to wonder if Baldwin and inspector Kearse don't take a dump on the field if Butler doesn't take a dump on us? Just a hypothetical question that may have changed the rotation of the earth briefly. :twisted:

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Seymour":3ep3a8yl said:
Speaking of SB 49 I have to wonder if Baldwin and inspector Kearse don't take a dump on the field if Butler doesn't take a dump on us? Just a hypothetical question that may have changed the rotation of the earth briefly. :twisted:

If Baldwin was the receiver I think it plays out differently.

We should've ran it anyway. :stirthepot:

evergreen

Reaction score
It was far from over after the interception. It was over after the offsides. Too bad we never got to stuff that qb sneak and win on a last second field goal. We had 20 seconds and a time out. Anything could’ve happened. There’s about 100% chance of the sneak. That was how we were supposed to win.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Frankly, i’ve moved on from XLIX and woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Maybe, is my answer but it is speculative nonsense. It is what it is, or was, a painful disappointment.

There is an old saying my Gradfather used at times. Here it is: “ If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we’d all have a wonderful Christmas.”

Back to now, will the team be 3-3 after the trip to London? That to me is a much nicer question to ponder. I’m not saying at all that the OP’s question was not interesting, only sadly evocative of a sad memory of an opportunity lost.

xray

Reaction score
The big question is why pass from the 1 yard line anyway?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
xray":7cty16zt said:
Because it was the exactly correct thing to do considering time and down. It was the play choice that sucked balls.

Why can't people grasp this? Roll Russ out and we win I feel sure.

Sign37now

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1qubz23o said:
xray":1qubz23o said:
Because it was the exactly correct thing to do considering time and down. It was the play choice that sucked balls.

Bullshit! We had at the time the most punishing RB in the league. You think Lynch would have been denied three feet?? Hell no, it was 2nd down AND we had a timeout.

STUPIDEST play call in the history of sports..

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Sign37now":2ntwg8p2 said:
UK_Seahawk":2ntwg8p2 said:
xray":2ntwg8p2 said:

Bullshit! We had at the time the most punishing RB in the league. You think Lynch would have been denied three feet?? Hell no, it was 2nd down AND we had a timeout.

Lynch has fumbled on the one yard line in play off games before. It wasn't a done deal, he's failed at the one previously. If he failed again there is no time to run a 4th down play.

Only stupid people and trolls continue this mantra.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sign37now":3h73wlix said:
UK_Seahawk":3h73wlix said:
xray":3h73wlix said:

LOL, yet he has repeatedly been stuffed on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 throughout his career....but sure lets re-write history and bet your house on it. :roll:

This was 2 months prior to SB49

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...9119/Marshawn-Lynch-stuffed-on-fourth-and-one

Over his career, Lynch has had 36 carries from the opponent’s 1-yard line. More often than not, he didn’t reach the end zone. He scored on 15 of those carries, or 41.7 percent of the time. On 12 of those carries, he did not gain a yard. On nine of them, he lost yardage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rd-line/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.95a74e920996

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't think Lynch would have made it in. I don't say that because of Lynch but I very much felt like the team sleep walked through that play. The Oline would not have gotten the push they needed for Lynch to get in. NE had the proverbial eye of the tiger and the Seahawks didn't. They should have, but they didn't.

My preferred play actually would have been the read option like Russ used against Green Bay. Fake the hand off to Lynch and then go right around the DE.

I'm okay with a pass play there too but throw it into wide open space. Don't bunch everybody up at the line and try to squeeze it in. Too many bad things could happen. The play Clemson ran against Alabama a couple years back would have been a good one. It's either a touchdown or incomplete. Either of those outcomes would have been fine.

OP
OP
H

Hawker8989

Reaction score
evergreen":1z8xletc said:
It was far from over after the interception. It was over after the offsides. Too bad we never got to stuff that qb sneak and win on a last second field goal. We had 20 seconds and a time out. Anything could’ve happened. There’s about 100% chance of the sneak. That was how we were supposed to win.

Can you imagine if New England fumbled the ball and we recovered it in the end zone? Crazy. To your point, It definitely wasn't over before the offsides. Bennett doesn't get near enough heat for that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":1enf0d1m said:
Sign37now":1enf0d1m said:
UK_Seahawk":1enf0d1m said:
xray":1enf0d1m said:

LOL, yet he has repeatedly been stuffed on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 throughout his career....but sure lets re-write history and bet your house on it. :roll:

This was 2 months prior to SB49

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...9119/Marshawn-Lynch-stuffed-on-fourth-and-one

Over his career, Lynch has had 36 carries from the opponent’s 1-yard line. More often than not, he didn’t reach the end zone. He scored on 15 of those carries, or 41.7 percent of the time. On 12 of those carries, he did not gain a yard. On nine of them, he lost yardage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rd-line/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.95a74e920996

Lets not forget the fumble against the 9ers in the NFC championship the year before.

Either way... the idea of passing there wasnt the bad one, it was the play call itself

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Kearse could have rolled into the end zone for a TD.. watch it.. if he doesn't get up, he would have had the time to just roll into it.. LOL

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the only reason Bennet went offsides was because another player ran into his backside and shoved him forward. I could be wrong though.