Penny frustrated, Pete likes it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I still think part of the issue is recovering from his finger surgery. I am not worried. Not just because Carson and Davis are ballin' but because I still think Penny is going to be a good player for us down the road.

Seymour

Reaction score
Carson and Davis are "good players". Penny was drafted in a position to expect to become a "great player" and it's not unreasonable to use that as the standard.

I'm not liking what I'm seeing and hearing (and not seeing) at this time and point myself. I'm not worried because I've come to expect blown early picks from this staff myself.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I think Penny will have his time to shine. I know many on here are fawning over the other rookie backs because they're getting their chance and showing off, but many of them were also thrust into starting jobs or needed to start. Penny was always gonna sit behind Carson and now Davis. I think Penny will be a good back, not legendary perhaps, but when once he really adopts the system and spends some time learning then he'll show off the skill he was famous for in college. I'm not worried.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Seymour":20yobzaz said:
Carson and Davis are "good players". Penny was drafted in a position to expect to become a "great player" and it's not unreasonable to use that as the standard.

I'm not liking what I'm seeing and hearing (and not seeing) at this time and point myself. I'm not worried because I've come to expect blown early picks from this staff myself.

That's a bit too negative for my Wednesday thank you very much. Penny has had finger surgery, which may or may not explain the lack of production so far. Or he's just not quite NFL ripe yet. Either way, I don't have this nagging fear that he's on the way to Bustville. Not even close. Right now the team is simply playing their hot hands which is Carson and Davis. I don't think much more needs to be looked into the situation. Just my take.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
:141847_bnono:
Seahawk_Dan":18h63z1t said:
I think Penny will have his time to shine. I know many on here are fawning over the other rookie backs because they're getting their chance and showing off, but many of them were also thrust into starting jobs or needed to start. Penny was always gonna sit behind Carson and now Davis. I think Penny will be a good back, not legendary perhaps, but when once he really adopts the system and spends some time learning then he'll show off the skill he was famous for in college. I'm not worried.
Penny got just as many snaps as our starting running back the first few weeks... he was out preformed by two seventh rounders.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Heard Big Walt the other day in an interview. He said give Penny time. Neither Carson nor Davis have proven they're durable RB's; Penny could get a chance (knock on wood).

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1c59i6qh said:
Seahawk_Dan":1c59i6qh said:
Penny got just as many snaps as our starting running back the first few weeks... he was out preformed by two seventh rounders.

Mike Davis was a 4th Round pick, but regardless, one (Carson) with a year in the system and now on year two and another (Davis) a three year pro who is also on his second year with this team. They've had a chance to learn and develop and understand the X's and O's of the Seattle Offense. Penny, a rookie, is new to all this. Fresh face babe who also missed the preseason due to injury, taking away valuable learning time and thrown immediately into the fire in Week One when he came back.

I can give him the benefit of the doubt his first year or two unlike so many others who apparently thought if he couldn't come out of the gate with 150 yards rushing in week one, well what a waste of a pick and kick his ass to the curb. Bust. Jeez.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Bahh. Everyone thought Alexander was a bust when he couldn't supplant Ricky Watters. We saw how that turned out.

Perspective people.

Penny was essentially a very high second round pick. It's not like we took him 6th overall. Most "great" RB's come from earlier in round 1. Bottom of the first round is a great spot to take a touted RB since it gives you 5 years of control at reasonable prices. Grabbing them later means you have to make a decision on a second contract sooner than you might want.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1kttaox5 said:
Seahawk_Dan":1kttaox5 said:

Mike Davis was actually a 4th round pick by the 49ers. He had a couple great years as a rusher at South Carolina against athletic, physical SEC defenses. At the time, I was hoping the Seahawks would take him in the 5th round or so.

Like a lot of young running backs, Davis had a horrible rookie season. He was used to not having a lot of running lane in college, but the game looked too fast for him. Then he had to overcome the perception that he was someone who was not fast or elusive enough for the NFL level.

In addition to adjusting to the speed of the game, Davis is in incredible shape now.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3d4r3c8a said:
Heard Big Walt the other day in an interview. He said give Penny time. Neither Carson nor Davis have proven they're durable RB's; Penny could get a chance (knock on wood).

Did our 7th round pick (Carson) need this time last year?

No you say....why is that then? Look at the shape that Carson showed up in and compare that to Penny. Night and day difference in attitude and dedication. One seems hungry and the other not so much IMO.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
This is a pretty good article. It’s anecdotal, but I’ll take what I can get.

That context you might be overlooking or forgetting is the careers of almost every significant back in the last decade. I don’t even need to pull back farther than that — and if I did, we’d go back to an era where it was always assumed that running backs needed at least a year to get up to NFL speed. (Remember that Shaun Alexander was a backup to Ricky Watters.) I think backs still need time to get caught up to the speed of the pros.

The proof is in the careers of these backs. And the context that you’ve forgotten about their career starts is now provided.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fieldg ... n-bell-nfl

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
When is the last time we could argue about which back should get playing time because each are so good? This is an embarrassment of riches we haven't seen here since Lynch.

If Carson and Davis weren't very good this wouldn't even be a conversation about Penny's playing time or lacktherof.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":1nw53o9v said:
Spin Doctor":1nw53o9v said:
Seahawk_Dan":1nw53o9v said:

Mike Davis was a 4th Round pick, but regardless, one (Carson) with a year in the system and now on year two and another (Davis) a three year pro who is also on his second year with this team. They've had a chance to learn and develop and understand the X's and O's of the Seattle Offense. Penny, a rookie, is new to all this. Fresh face babe who also missed the preseason due to injury, taking away valuable learning time and thrown immediately into the fire in Week One when he came back.

I can give him the benefit of the doubt his first year or two unlike so many others who apparently thought if he couldn't come out of the gate with 150 yards rushing in week one, well what a waste of a pick and kick his ass to the curb. Bust. Jeez.

I'll add that Davis didn't out perform Penny the first few weeks either. Weeks 1 and 3 he had 0 carries, and week 2 he went 3 carries for 3 yards. Davis didn't out perform Penny till week 4 with his 100+ yds and 2 TDs, a game where Penny actually played pretty well himself, getting 49 yds on 9 carries.

Penny's carries mostly came the first 2 weeks when we were passing 60% of the time and not establishing any kind of run game, the only other week he saw decent volume he produced. I think we need to wait and see how he performs in the current state of our offense and not judge him by is first 2 career games, coming off injury and missing pre season.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Seymour":2b7h2ch0 said:
MontanaHawk05":2b7h2ch0 said:

No you say....why is that then? Look at the shape that Carson showed up in and compare that to Penny. Night and day difference in attitude and dedication. One seems hungry and the other not so much IMO.

And good for Carson. He came to play and he clearly has dedication. No one is saying Carson isn't a good fit for Seattle just that Penny needs some time.

People are different. Regardless of where they're picked in the draft, everyone develops differently.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":1k5uueoi said:
MontanaHawk05":1k5uueoi said:

I don’t think Penny came in out of shape, per se. It’s obvious that he’s been training hard, and he looks stronger than he did in college. They probably wanted him to gain some weight (around 225-230), so that he could hold up better and avoid injury.

It’s just that he needs a full off-season of training and conditioning to maximize his natural athletic gifts and frame. He also needs time to adjust to the speed of the NFL game and learn how to read and react with better efficiency, so that he doesn’t run tentatively in the backfield. That’s just time and experience. This was obvious from watching him run in college through mostly unimpeded holes against mostly bad run defenses; the natural talent is there. It’s just going to take some time.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1zmmmc7b said:
MontanaHawk05":1zmmmc7b said:

I think Carson is the exception, not the rule. Yeah it sucks that our first round pick is currently 3rd on the depth chart. I choose to look at it as Carson and Davis are just playing that well right now, rather than Penny isn't good enough. I could be wrong, but I'll stay optimistic about him until proven otherwise, and no his first 2 career starts splitting carries in a 60/40 pass offense doesn't prove anything yet.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3t14kpoo said:
Bahh. Everyone thought Alexander was a bust when he couldn't supplant Ricky Watters. We saw how that turned out.

Perspective people.

Umm yea... so to be clear is it Carson or Davis that you are comparing to Ricky Waters?

rcaido

Reaction score
Obviously Carson, Davis, & Prosise were questionable with their health...We really needed a RB, so we drafted one.

The problem is Carson & Davis are playing amazing...That's a great problem to have.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
T-Hawk":1827ogfz said:
Seymour":1827ogfz said:
MontanaHawk05":1827ogfz said:

I think Carson is the exception, not the rule. Yeah it sucks that our first round pick is currently 3rd on the depth chart. I choose to look at it as Carson and Davis are just playing that well right now, rather than Penny isn't good enough. I could be wrong, but I'll stay optimistic about him until proven otherwise, and no his first 2 career starts splitting carries in a 60/40 pass offense doesn't prove anything yet.
Carson isn't the exception. The history of the NFL is full of running backs that are productive as low round picks, even right away in some cases. We're seeing two of them right now in Royce Freeman and Lindsay over in Denver. Two really productive backs in last years draft were taken in the 3rd round (Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara). Our Chris Carson was also productive in the games he played as a 7th round pick. Hell, the Broncos under Shannahan regularly turned nobodies into stars, that was their MO.

Latest posts