I dont understand the optimism after an "almost win"?

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Yes, I get it, we hung with the best. Well, we still lost. There is no such thing as a moral victory in this sport. We didnt get spanked (I didnt expect to) but we did out-coached. 2 and 3 is not looking good. IMO, it's now safe to say that our draft picks were a swing and a miss! We already had a better back than Penny on the roster, and the love for Shaqeem sure has disappeared as quick as he came, our touted punter has bad kicks at the worst possible times too. Good teams find a way to win at the end, we used to, and the Rams do now. I

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":8kmfk96q said:
We already had a better back than Penny on the roster

Yeah, one who has been constantly injured since high school.

We can't judge draft picks after five games. Not even first round picks, not when they're running backs.

Seymour

Reaction score
What is there to not understand? We showed hope and promise beyond what most people expected (especially on offense). Hope brings excitement and optimism, what is so hard to understand about that?

Also....How were we out coached when the Lambs have the clear better roster yet we were in it till the end and lead much of the game?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Because with all the warts, some that you listed, you can plainly see growth and what is to come. This team is no bottom feeder, cellar dweller. They are on the rise. The running game is back. That will allow Russ to be Russ again. The OL is showing a tenacity and toughness I haven't seen in years. The defense - while certainly no LOB Era - is full of young pups who are learning their way and I feel are going to be very, very good players.

Like I just watched on Good Morning Football, they said...

"Don't sleep on Seattle."

You're damn right. Even my girlfriend Kay Adams said something to the effect of how I feel which is why do I feel so good about Seattle after a loss?

Because you can see the beginning of what is to come. It's 2012 all over again.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I feel better about this team after yesterday's loss than I did after last week's win.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":7q5819xe said:
Yes, I get it, we hung with the best. Well, we still lost. There is no such thing as a moral victory in this sport. We didnt get spanked (I didnt expect to) but we did out-coached. 2 and 3 is not looking good. IMO, it's now safe to say that our draft picks were a swing and a miss! We already had a better back than Penny on the roster, and the love for Shaqeem sure has disappeared as quick as he came, our touted punter has bad kicks at the worst possible times too. Good teams find a way to win at the end, we used to, and the Rams do now. I

There is a HUGE difference between being more optimistic and being happy. I wasn't happy after we lost, but I'm definitely a LOT more optimistic, because Pete is allowing the offense to be what it needs to be, and that's a strong running attack with some big plays in the passing game. We can't be a pass heavy offense. Having a rushing attack like we have will help our young defense and our offense all at the same time. Sure we lost, and it's not good for our season that we lost, but it also gives me hope, and as a fan, that's all you can expect.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
I have been really down on this team, but this game made me more optimistic. Of course I would have preferred a win. This "almost win" shows me that the team is in more of a "re-load" than the "re-build" that I thought the team was in. I'm still not in love with what Pete and John have been doing over the last four or five seasons but the team looks like it has more talent on it than I had thought. Of course, the question is whether this team can build on this. Feeling better than I have all season about this team. But let's wait and see.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
What a negative viewpoint!

The team was predicted to be as much as a two touchdown or more loser to the mighty Rams and were it not for two stupid OLine penalties from the weak right side of the OLine they were in position to kick a game winning FG. Vegas got burned again by the Seahawks and even the national commentary has varied as several talking heads were describing the Hawks being a good team again.

All things said a L is still a L no matter how close it was, but the team came with and executed a very solid game plan they scored 31 points, had over 180 yds of rushing O and were able to blunt an exceptionally strong O though LA was able to move it at times in a frustratingly adept fashion.

I disagree heartily with the ‘we got out coached’ commentary above. I thought this was the team’s best game all season and the best job coaching this year so far.

As to the draft pick negativity, it’s far too soon to write off this year’s draft and even so I disagree regardless. The extraordinarily small sample size makes it impossible makefair conclusions yet. Yes Penny hasn’t lit it up yet which is disappointing but I suspect Pete is not yet convinced he’s ready for a big number of touches and Carson and Davis are a good combo. I do think Prosise is done here, but think it’s foolish to think Shaquem Griffin is a wasted pick at all.

Do I like being 2-3 at this point? Nope! But I do think things are starting to look much better and if Wilson is freed to run a bit the O might explode along with steady improvement from the D.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1d6q92h5 said:
I feel better about this team after yesterday's loss than I did after last week's win.

I feel the same way. Seeing the Offense rip through a very good Ram defense is a hugely encouraging sign. The D has a ways to go however. But I also think after getting clobbered 42-7 on our own field last year, keeping it close is a good step in the right direction. Anyone railing about how moral victories don't matter, should simply review our starting lineups and compare them to the 2014 team. We simply don't have the talent right now to make a Super Bowl run yet. Stop the freaking complaining.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Of course i'm optimistic, Seattle played the best team in the league and went punch to punch with them. There were positive things happening like the run game and Oline play. Much better outing barely losing to the Rams than last weeks showing against the worst team in the league even if it was a win.

My Debbie Downer moment though is I hope this wasnt a flash in the pan outing. Seattle always gets up for one game it seems (Pats in 16', Eagles last year) and I hope this wasnt it. If we thump the Raiders then i'll be ecstatic and feel the team is going in the right direction. I'll even heat up some crow for munching purposes. If they take a step backwards, then its probably as I feared.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I don’t understand why you don’t understand.

We’re rebuilding/transition season

We’ve been struggling to find our identity.

Key injuries haven’t healed

Etc etc.

On paper we should have had our ass kicked. That didn’t happen.

Our O line especially impressed me. They held there own pretty dam good considering Donald/Suh are on the Rams D line.

Could go on because I saw lots of reasons to be optimistic.
Not that I think we’ll kill it the rest of the season but I see/saw a lot of improvements.

For Me, that game was the epitome of reason to be optimistic.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
HawkFan72":fk2oc0y9 said:

So, so, so true. Well put.

mistaowen

Reaction score
The optimism is because the roster was churned and expectations for this first year were low. They just hung with the likely NFC champ regardless of how ugly it was at times. Lot of guys on defense starting who have only been depth or playing because of injuries. Team showed considerably more life than in the previous two wins. A .500ish season with consistent growth and an offseason adding more pieces (pass rush specifically) should put them back into the playoff hunt IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Optimism is born out of low expectations.

If you think you're gonna get killed 42-7, and you have a chance to win at the end..........voila, optimism.

But yes, there's no such thing as moral victories in the NFL. This is a game the Hawks had to have if they wanted any part of a division race, and lost.

StoneCold

Reaction score
HawkFan72":31bdhknq said:

What he said. Also because there are 10 more games against teams worse than the Rams and I feel this team has a good chance of winning a bunch of them.

TreeRon

Reaction score
My opinion is reserved until the London game. If we play similarly vs. the Raiders, and thus a win, then I'll feel more confident.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At least they were not blown out.

Nobody expected them to win. They didn't.

So we haven't gained anything or lost anything.

We have games against the Raiders, Lions and Chargers that determine this team's fate. We need to win all three or at least one of the 49er games.

However, we had the ball with the opportunity to win it and Carroll again, was playing for the long FG. After we did that crap we deserved to lose it.

It was a good game but it changed nothing.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":31t10f75 said:

If you think you're gonna get killed 42-7, and you have a chance to win at the end..........voila, optimism.

But yes, there's no such thing as moral victories in the NFL. This is a game the Hawks had to have if they wanted any part of a division race, and lost.

There are plenty of moral victories in the NFL... especially if it gives the team the optimism and confidence to win games down the road, and the coaching staff much needed rhythm in their schemes and play calling.

Sure, the division race, which was never really an expectation, is gone. But today's efforts make for more confidence heading into the next few weeks.

You can focus on the loss, or focus on the next game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3clj6pxr said:
Sgt. Largent":3clj6pxr said:

There are plenty of moral victories in the NFL... especially if it gives the team the optimism and confidence to win games down the road, and the coaching staff much needed rhythm in their schemes and play calling.

Sure, the division race, which was never really an expectation, is gone. But today's efforts make for more confidence heading into the next few weeks.

You can focus on the loss, or focus on the next game.

I and every coach and player on the roster disagrees with you...............there is no such thing as moral victories in pro sports, especially for an organization that aspires to be one of the best in the league. This isn't Cleveland.

We can use other words like optimism, encouraged, etc. But any phrase with the word "victory" when you lose in a professional sport is inaccurate and is never used by the people who coach and play the game. You either win, or you lose, and we lost.

sutz

Reaction score
And I'm a little tired of the old "optimism" vs "realism" debate. Those are NOT mutually exclusive points of view.

Frankly, I think a "realistic" point of view would acknowledge where we played well, regardless of final score.

I certainly see most of the "optimists" around here, including myself, acknowledging that yes, improvements need to be made. As a fan, though, I just can't fall into that "we lost therefore we suck" mindset.

I mean, do people really think that every team in the league is gonna lay a 30 burger on us? After Sunday, I don't think so.

Latest posts