Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Power Rankings

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Power Rankings
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:23 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    nutluck wrote:Personally I would put the Seahawks around 12-15 range, looking at the teams ahead of them on the rankings.

I think this tells you how many mediocre teams there are right now in the league. There are only 4-5 very good teams, 4-5 very bad teams and everyone else is in the middle somewhere, including us.

Isn't this how it is every year?
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:30 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    nutluck wrote:Personally I would put the Seahawks around 12-15 range, looking at the teams ahead of them on the rankings.

I think this tells you how many mediocre teams there are right now in the league. There are only 4-5 very good teams, 4-5 very bad teams and everyone else is in the middle somewhere, including us.

:common069: Don't tell him. He thinks he's on to something. :mrgreen:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:32 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I think this year it's worse with so many 2-3, 2-2 and 3-2 teams. There are entire divisions with every team at or around .500.

But that's what the NFL wants right? Parity.

So debating on whether we're #12 or #22 in the power rankings is silly to me, cause I think there's very little difference this year.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Power Rankings
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:58 pm
  • I would like the team to finish this season ranking in the range of 10 to 14; ie with a remote chance of making playoff, but definitely set up nicely for the next two years.

To achieve that, our team must have winning percentage for the rest of regular season games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:05 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I think this year it's worse with so many 2-3, 2-2 and 3-2 teams. There are entire divisions with every team at or around .500.

But that's what the NFL wants right? Parity.

So debating on whether we're #12 or #22 in the power rankings is silly to me, cause I think there's very little difference this year.

I sort of agree but it’s the NFL. Someone has to lose.

I think we over categorize teams. Personally I think the NFL is arguably the best it’s ever been, with room to get better. Even Mitch Trubisky is on a great team right now. Watching football lately has been the first I’ve felt like most games can be a toss up. For example, we SHOULD whoop the Raiders. But they’ve shown an ability to score points. Carr is capable of a good game. The Browns can arguably compete with anybody. The Eagles have the talent to finish strong. The Giants are literally a Quarterback away from being absolute BEASTS on offense. They’re loaded at the skill positions. The Vikings still present a challenge. Cousins is capable of an amazing game. The Cowboys can be a problem next year with a stud WR and a new O-coordinator

I can go on and on, but there is indeed a lot of parity in the league and I’d be nervous to bet on most games. Even the teams with a losing record are capable of upsetting a contender. Heck, most fans think the Seahawks are done, but any team would be foolish to underestimate us on any given Sunday
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:50 am
  • Scorpion05 wrote:
    I can go on and on, but there is indeed a lot of parity in the league and I’d be nervous to bet on most games. Even the teams with a losing record are capable of upsetting a contender. Heck, most fans think the Seahawks are done, but any team would be foolish to underestimate us on any given Sunday

For sure. Parity IS the reason the NFL is so popular.

Any year any team can go 3-13 and turn it around and make the playoffs the next year. What other league can that happen in? Every other pro sports league is the have and have nots based on massive team salaries or who has the most stars.

That's all any sports fan asks for..............hope.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:03 am

Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:37 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Looks like the pundits are beginning to take notice.

Up 3 to 18 this week.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000974986/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-7-patriots-back-raiders-hit-bottom

On the flip side...those that called the "very good Bronco's team" we lost to.....don't look now but 2-4 and #26. They've beat us and the Raiders....that is it.
    i looked at that list, then I looked at the remaining of our schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:22 am
  • NFL.com has us up 2 to #15 this week.

Not high enough IMO for that game's performance and being on the least coast....but progress.

You hear the phrase "flying under the radar" in sports enough to make you miss those Jimmy Johnson Extenze commercials. (Note: Please don't read the Chargers blurb.) Yet, I have to say that no team is ... flying ... uh ... is being ignored more than the Seahawks. Seattle has improved to 4-3 after starting the season with two straight losses. Front and center is Ken Norton's defense, which is fifth in points allowed per game, despite being sans Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor and Michael Bennett. That's the same Norton whom the Raiders -- the Raiders -- didn't want. Cool.

Side note: Got a random call from John Schneider about my Eric Metcalf TBT feature from this past week. Schneider brought in Metcalf in 2001 for the then-struggling Redskins (1-5), without earning much praise from the sportswriter peanut gallery. The 12th-year pro promptly took a first-quarter punt 89 yards to the house. Washington went on a roll, winning four in a row after Metcalf joined and finishing 8-8. Moral of the story: Schneider and Pete Carroll know what they are doing

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000981512/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-9-panthers-seahawks-on-the-rise
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:52 am
  • Seymour wrote:NFL.com has us up 2 to #15 this week.

Not high enough IMO for that game's performance and being on the least coast....but progress.

You hear the phrase "flying under the radar" in sports enough to make you miss those Jimmy Johnson Extenze commercials. (Note: Please don't read the Chargers blurb.) Yet, I have to say that no team is ... flying ... uh ... is being ignored more than the Seahawks. Seattle has improved to 4-3 after starting the season with two straight losses. Front and center is Ken Norton's defense, which is fifth in points allowed per game, despite being sans Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor and Michael Bennett. That's the same Norton whom the Raiders -- the Raiders -- didn't want. Cool.

Side note: Got a random call from John Schneider about my Eric Metcalf TBT feature from this past week. Schneider brought in Metcalf in 2001 for the then-struggling Redskins (1-5), without earning much praise from the sportswriter peanut gallery. The 12th-year pro promptly took a first-quarter punt 89 yards to the house. Washington went on a roll, winning four in a row after Metcalf joined and finishing 8-8. Moral of the story: Schneider and Pete Carroll know what they are doing

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000981512/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-9-panthers-seahawks-on-the-rise

It's a bit ironic, then, that a Rosenthal article on their front page argues for the Hawks as a top-10 team. This tells me the popular sports media don't know what to make of this team. I think that goes for a lot of fans, too.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ightens-up
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:06 am
  • Wow a lousy 2 spots? Not sure why he is so allergic to putting them where they deserve to be which right now is between 8 and 10.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:24 am
  • Aros wrote:Wow a lousy 2 spots? Not sure why he is so allergic to putting them where they deserve to be which right now is between 8 and 10.

Beat the Chargers and you'll get your wish, Hawks will jump into the top 10.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:20 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Aros wrote:Wow a lousy 2 spots? Not sure why he is so allergic to putting them where they deserve to be which right now is between 8 and 10.

I'd like to think so, but I have my doubts the needle would move that much. Excuses about how the inconsistencies of the Chargers and their weak strength-of-schedule will come up, and we'll be at #12, probably.

Now, if we can beast the Packers, Rams, and Vikes, too? :179417:
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:01 pm
  • Not where you start but where you finish.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:13 pm
  • drop, mic
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:20 pm
  • Ad Hawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Aros wrote:Wow a lousy 2 spots? Not sure why he is so allergic to putting them where they deserve to be which right now is between 8 and 10.

I'd like to think so, but I have my doubts the needle would move that much. Excuses about how the inconsistencies of the Chargers and their weak strength-of-schedule will come up, and we'll be at #12, probably.

Ha, oh man that'd be a run.

Power rankings are fun, but I just can't get all worked up over where we're at. 8? 10? 12? Who cares.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:20 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:

I'll bet you an avatar of choice for 1 week that after beating the Chargers we still don't make top 10 in NFL.com.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:25 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Ha, oh man that'd be a run.

Power rankings are fun, but I just can't get all worked up over where we're at. 8? 10? 12? Who cares.

Rodney

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:47 am
  • Down 2 to #17 this week.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000985286/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-10-new-orleans-saints-take-throne

Ever get the feeling Russell Wilson could win league MVP every year? Where would the Seahawks be without him? Seattle dropped a game to the Chargers on Sunday, and Wilson was far from perfect. Yet there he was, pesky as ever, placing the football between two lunging defenders -- while on the run, mind you -- and straight into David Moore's grill. Drop. Ballgame. (In Moore's defense, the pass was slightly tipped, making it an 8.0 on the difficult-catch scale.) Wilson took off on Sunday more than he has all season, using his legs to advance drives and keep the Seahawks in the game. In the end, Seattle's run defense -- the perceived strength of this group -- owns much of the blame for faltering against a verifiable contender. Those 160 rushing yards on a mere 22 attempts were the backbone of multiple scoring marches by the Chargers.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:03 am
  • FiveThirtyEight has the Seahawks ranked 11th:
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... redictions

I wouldn’t put any of the teams below them ahead of the Seahawks. They have Minnesota ranked 10th, and I see them as fairly equal and maybe below.

They give the Rams a 69% chance to beat the Seahawks.

Remaining probabilities after that game:
    71% Seahawks beat foundering Green Bay at home in prime time.
    33% chance of the upset over Carolina.
    77% Seahawks’ get their 10th-consecutive win over the 49ers.
    55% Seahawks edge Minnesota at home in prime time.
    62% Seahawks collect another road win over the 49ers.
    42% they upset Kansas City at home in prime time.
    79% Seahawks complete the sweep of Arizona at home.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:27 am
  • I'd say it's about right. At this point, the NFC power rankings seem a bit "muddy". One could argue we're still in the hunt for a wildcard but, I don't think our schedule supports it.

I do think the future is bright though. We've got some great, young players who are racking up invaluable experience this season.

*edit*
    Understand this is an "old" post.
    Elemas
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:41 pm
  • I don't think it matters where they put us in the power rankings... the bottom line is that NFL teams respect the Seahawks as a viable threat. I don't think the Rams are looking at the power rankings... they are probably remembering getting beat up in Seattle even though they won the game, it came at a price and they haven't forgotten that...

LTH
    LTH
    NET Starter

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:53 pm
  • Yeah the rankings are muddled and meh. Those probability percentages posted above don't look far off.

I still like our chances for the 5th or 6th wild card spot when all the dust settles.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:12 pm
  • Aros wrote:Yeah the rankings are muddled and meh. Those probability percentages posted above don't look far off.

I still like our chances for the 5th or 6th wild card spot when all the dust settles.

Where is the like button!! :D
    LTH
    NET Starter

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:32 pm
  • I was expecting to jump all over Elliot for dropping us in the poll this week but he actually surprised me. He bumped us up to #15 (up 2) from last week after a loss.

He did the right thing. That was a tough well fought game they played, and nice that others actually noticed...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000987904/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-11-packers-rise-patriots-eagles-fall

The Seahawks gave the Rams all they could handle and came up short again. Reminiscent of the days when Seattle was dominant, and Jeff Fisher's St. Louis Rams would give Pete Carroll's group all they could handle, right? On Sunday, the running game went nuts, be it via the legs of Rashaad Penny, Russell Wilson or Mike Davis -- the Seahawks revved up the ground attack 34 times for 273 yards. Wilson had attempted only 13 passes by the midway point of the fourth quarter. The QB got another opportunity at the end, with 1:35 left and no timeouts, much like in the previous week against the other guys from L.A. It wasn't to be, but Seattle remains one tough out. Put another way: The 'Hawks will be playoff spoilers for somebody.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:03 pm
  • I still don't like our chances at getting that playoff game with Alabama.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:23 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Put another way: The 'Hawks will be playoff spoilers for somebody.

Whether or not we are in as a wildcard. :P

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Previous

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information