Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Penny time!

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Penny time!
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:58 am
  • Let’s go!
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Re: Penny time!
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:06 am
  • Is he starting ?
    Heyseed
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:41 am

• Hoping Davis gets a lot of carries now.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:42 am
  • Its your time son get it done. I still believe in you.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:55 am
  • Never a better opportunity to see what Penny can show for an entire quarter.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:29 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:

Hoping Davis gets a lot of carries now.

Told ya.

Davis time!!!

Lol
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:42 pm
  • GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:47 pm
  • this staff needs fired. It’s painfully obvious they are not intelligent.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:48 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:this staff needs fired. It’s painfully obvious they are not intelligent.

Possibly, but it's not because of Penny. Davis is running strong out there.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:12 pm
  • I like to opin that the coaching staffs are doing the right thing on Penny, only put him out there or carry when he could be successful. Penny had a tough off season and first three games, haters like toffee was real tough on him. Coaches are rebuilding his confidence, and doing a GOOD job.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:13 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:this staff needs fired. It’s painfully obvious they are not intelligent.

Davis was the better back today and it wasn’t even close.
    Yxes1122
    NET Rookie

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:16 pm
  • Yxes1122 wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:this staff needs fired. It’s painfully obvious they are not intelligent.

I've been saying it all year. People thought I was crazy. Mike Davis is a lot closer to Carson than Penny is, at least for now. Penny has the higher ceiling of course.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:26 pm
  • Mistashoesta wrote:
    Yxes1122 wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:this staff needs fired. It’s painfully obvious they are not intelligent.

I've been saying it all year. People thought I was crazy. Mike Davis is a lot closer to Carson than Penny is, at least for now. Penny has the higher ceiling of course.

Penny has a high ceiling but he has CMike syndrome. He’s indecisive. You saw it on a few of the carries late in the game. When the hole is there and obvious, he’s fine but when it’s a slow developing play where he needs to be patient, he’s not there.

He’s a rookie so I’m hopeful for the future but man, it’s hard to be excited about Penny when you see guys like Kerryon Johnson, Sony Michel, Royce Freeman and Nick Chubb all playing better.
    Yxes1122
    NET Rookie

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:27 pm
  • It's way too early to call anything on Penny, but I think it's safe to say he has underwhelmed. A lot of that has to do with the time he missed in training camp. I don't like to give a fair evaluation of a player until they are on their second season, but he's got a long way to go. Right now, he doesn't even look like an NFL back. He looks extremely hesitant with the ball. He needs to trust his eyes and hit the hole.

He's not a bust, but he is on his way there unless he gets better. This is the NFL not MLB, you expect results from your first round picks almost right away. Still too early to call it, but he needs to become a better player.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:29 pm
  • I like Davis better than Carson
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:30 pm
  • I think penny does choppy feet too often. He is way too used to collegiate defenses in which he has time to dance and juke and all that, but in the nfl he has about one chance to do something and then he has to get north and south. It’s like he thinks his job is to break everything instead of just getting yards.
    Optimus25
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:38 pm

You can support a player without needing to tear everyone else down to make them look better. Penny missed a huge chunk of time in his only NFL preseason and just isn't our best option at the moment. That's not a referendum on Penny, and it's OK to be happy that Davis played great today without hating on Penny at the same time. Penny also did well today.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:42 pm
  • Davis did great!

Penny did OK. He made some tough yards. I'm good with him getting spot carries as he develops.

Will love to see Carson back, of course.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:06 pm

Your threads and posts regarding RB analysis are pure garbage and/or trolling. Mike Davis just ran for 101 yards, 2 TD and 4.8 avg. Carson 102 hard fought yards last week and you’re still butthurt over your 1st round reach hero not starting. Your favoritism for certain RBs and disdain for all others is truly bizarre. You were emphatic about Kiero Small, Fat Lacy and now a very average looking one, albeit a rookie.

Penny was nice in a few runs today but why can’t folks just appreciate when we have any RB that does well for us?
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:08 pm
  • Just for a reminder, Ricky Watters kept Shaun Alexander on the bench most his rookie year.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:20 pm
  • Yxes1122 wrote:Davis was the better back today and it wasn’t even close.

Stop it. That's not true by any stretch of the imagination. Penny averaged more on less. That's not taking away anything from Davis, he had a heck of a game, but Penny did as well. It was a great ground game overall.

When I got the notification Carson was out, I thought Penny would be the main guy for sure. Even though he wasn't, he ran extremely well with his chances. Very encouraging.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:08 pm
  • Best game by Penny so far. He had 9 carries for 49 yards. Plus he got some nice short yardage runs for first downs. He is improving. Keep it up Rashaad.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:07 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Yxes1122 wrote:Davis was the better back today and it wasn’t even close.

Stop it. That's not true by any stretch of the imagination. Penny averaged more on less.

Did you watch the full game peel? From what I saw Davis did it all today-hard runs fighting for yards, breakout runs in open field, outstanding in the receiving game and pass blocked well. 2 TD to boot. Penny had his best game thus far too with a few nice runs but his hesitation/dancing in the backfield instead of hitting the hole hard (especially evident the final drive) indicates he has much to learn or a deficiency in his game. He contributed but to imply Penny was better today IMO is false.

I also don’t buy this high ceiling BS people are so quickly to assign high draft picks and dismiss low picks/UDFA with “low ceiling”. You are what you are and Penny is currently a 3rd string back. I certainly hope he continues to improve like he did today and if he eventually emerges as a star in year 2 or 3 I will be cheering him on all the way. I have nothing against the kid at all but it sure seems like folks rationalize our high picks who struggle or underwhelm and are quick to dismiss other guys on the roster who just produce and get results.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:43 pm
  • West TX Hawk wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Yxes1122 wrote:Davis was the better back today and it wasn’t even close.

Stop it. That's not true by any stretch of the imagination. Penny averaged more on less.

Did you watch the full game peel? From what I saw Davis did it all today-hard runs fighting for yards, breakout runs in open field, outstanding in the receiving game and pass blocked well. 2 TD to boot. Penny had his best game thus far too with a few nice runs but his hesitation/dancing in the backfield instead of hitting the hole hard (especially evident the final drive) indicates he has much to learn or a deficiency in his game. He contributed but to imply Penny was better today IMO is false.

I also don’t buy this high ceiling BS people are so quickly to assign high draft picks and dismiss low picks/UDFA with “low ceiling”. You are what you are and Penny is currently a 3rd string back. I certainly hope he continues to improve like he did today and if he eventually emerges as a star in year 2 or 3 I will be cheering him on all the way. I have nothing against the kid at all but it sure seems like folks rationalize our high picks who struggle or underwhelm and are quick to dismiss other guys on the roster who just produce and get results.

I wasn't able to start watching until the tail end of the first quarter. I should have emphasized 1122's quote of "it wasn't even close". That's where I was going with that. Yes, Davis was the better back, but to say it wasn't even close is flat out wrong.

I get it. A lat of people are down on Penny. Either "he's too fat, he reminds me of Lacy, he's too slow, he doesn't get it”, it's never ending. Heck, Davis has more pudge on him, be and no one ever bashes his weight. I think a lot of people are using the 2017 RB class as the standard that all rookie RBs should have immediate success, but that's just unrealistic. The 2017 class was the exception to the rule. Just like the 2014 WR class. Everyone has such enormous expectations of highly drafted WRs after that because of what Evans, Beckham, and Watkins did. Again, that year was the exception to the rule for WRs. This year, no rookie RB that I can think of is succeeding like the rookies last year.

Penny today showed burst, speed (especially his big run down the left sideline) power, and patience. He is a lot different than any of the other RBs on the roster. Davis has some Rawls in him, regarding his style. Not a lot of patience, just 0-100 immediately. Reckless abandon. But again kudos to Davis, he ran good today. It was definitely his best game as a Hawk.

It's just funny how so many are sour on Penny this early. He'll be fine. And sorry West Tex, but Penny definitely does have the highest ceiling of RB group.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:57 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:
    I wasn't able to start watching until the tail end of the first quarter. I should have emphasized 1122's quote of "it wasn't even close". That's where I was going with that. Yes, Davis was the better back, but to say it wasn't even close is flat out wrong.

I get it. A lat of people are down on Penny. Either "he's too fat, he reminds me of Lacy, he's too slow, he doesn't get it”, it's never ending. Heck, Davis has more pudge on him, be and no one ever bashes his weight. I think a lot of people are using the 2017 RB class as the standard that all rookie RBs should have immediate success, but that's just unrealistic. The 2017 class was the exception to the rule. Just like the 2014 WR class. Everyone has such enormous expectations of highly drafted WRs after that because of what Evans, Beckham, and Watkins did. Again, that year was the exception to the rule for WRs. This year, no rookie RB that I can think of is succeeding like the rookies last year.

Penny today showed burst, speed (especially his big run down the left sideline) power, and patience. He is a lot different than any of the other RBs on the roster. Davis has some Rawls in him, regarding his style. Not a lot of patience, just 0-100 immediately. Reckless abandon. But again kudos to Davis, he ran good today. It was definitely his best game as a Hawk.

It's just funny how so many are sour on Penny this early. He'll be fine. And sorry West Tex, but Penny definitely does have the highest ceiling of RB group.

I disagree. I'm against picking RBs early, especially in the first round, so if you do, that guy damn well better be a pro bowler. Granted, Penny was a low first round pick, so I'd say a more reasonable expectation is for him to be a solid starter as a first round RB. Clearly, he's third on the depth chart after Davis and Carson. Not faulting a kid. The team has so many holes and they chose a RB with their first pick and he's a third stringer. That's on them. Mike D and Carson have run the ball well enough when the blocking is good.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:24 am
  • sutz wrote:Davis did great!

Penny did OK. He made some tough yards. I'm good with him getting spot carries as he develops.

Will love to see Carson back, of course.

Penny didn't make any "tough yards". The gains he got were through gaping holes. There was only one play I can think of where he didn't go down on first contact.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:31 pm
  • Another example of why Pete and or JS needs to go. Either Penny sucks and they didn’t manage the pick well and wasted a first round pick or they can’t manage the roster and don’t play their best players. Either way someone was wrong.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:34 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:Another example of why Pete and or JS needs to go. Either Penny sucks and they didn’t manage the pick well and wasted a first round pick or they can’t manage the roster and don’t play their best players. Either way someone was wrong.

Or...they're under no obligation to start their first-round pick right away, and instead they've assembled enough of a RB roster to maintain 100-yard games no matter who's starting.

We're top five in redzone offense right now. Think about our offense the last two years and tell me that isn't an improvement.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:38 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:Another example of why Pete and or JS needs to go. Either Penny sucks and they didn’t manage the pick well and wasted a first round pick or they can’t manage the roster and don’t play their best players. Either way someone was wrong.

I am sure you said the same thing when Holmgren wasted a pick on Alexander when we had Watters already also and he sat in the bench for a year.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:19 pm

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 pm
  • Anyone know why Penny was out this week?
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Anyone know why Penny was out this week?

He was active. We just established an outstanding 1-2 RB combo today, though and Penny’s services were not needed.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:08 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Found this article on fieldgulls regarding Penny. Per the article there are some other good rbs (some drafted even higher than Penny that struggled their first year too) - https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/10/2/17927998/seahawks-rashaad-penny-rookie-stats-disappointment-pete-carroll-chris-carson-leveon-bell-nfl

I saw that and it's good perspective. I'm curious, however, as to how many of them were third string RBs as rookies?

Hunt, Gordon, Elliot, Fournette, Barkley, Martin, Howard, (Gurley and Bell?) started immediately.

Others were parts of two-back committees like Henry and Mixon. Kamara was technically third string but the Saints traded AP in a hurry once they saw what they had in him and he became part of a two-back committee as well.

It's a little worrisome that he's clearly the third string RB as a first round rookie. I don't think it's unfair to think that, especially given the other holes this team has (pass rush)
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:08 pm
  • What a complete waste of a 1st round pick.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:14 pm
  • King Dog wrote:What a complete waste of a 1st round pick.

Ehh, give it some time.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:23 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Anyone know why Penny was out this week?

He contributed. I watched him take a knee in the endzone on a kickoff.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:27 pm
  • King Dog wrote:What a complete waste of a 1st round pick.

At least we still have a running game.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:37 pm
  • Carson and Davis are way ahead of him. No reason to force feed a rookie who isn’t ready to play.

He’ll be 100% better with an off-season. Think how bad Alex Collins looked in his limited opportunities as a rookie in comparison to his 2nd year. Penny has a far higher ceiling, and this is coming from someone who fully expected Penny to be awful as a rookie.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:47 pm
  • I do think they should find a way to give Penny a couple carries a game so he can use this time to start adjusting to the speed of the NFL game.

A fly sweep to Penny would be cool. He has good hands, looks pretty explosive when he is able to get a full head of steam, and has a knack for eluding defenders when running to the outside.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:47 am
  • Way too early to label him success or failure but so far he has not lived up to 10% of his draft billing. Maybe Pete and JS should go Costanza next draft?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:18 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:I do think they should find a way to give Penny a couple carries a game so he can use this time to start adjusting to the speed of the NFL game.

A fly sweep to Penny would be cool. He has good hands, looks pretty explosive when he is able to get a full head of steam, and has a knack for eluding defenders when running to the outside.

Penny has been anything but explosive in the NFL, he doesn't play nearly as quick as his 40 time suggests. The guy really needs to lose some weight. He is not very elusive right now either. Not the type of back you want running that kind of play.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:09 am
  • Either JS and the evaluation staff should be fired for wasting 1st and 2nd round picks or the coaching staff should be fired for not putting a talented player on the field in a transition year. This team lacks talent and lacks coaching creativity. So not only do we have the inability to win one on one's because we are more talented (which we did in our SB years) we no can't scheme guys open as we never had. This is back to the Mora/Ruskell days.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:17 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:Penny has been anything but explosive in the NFL, he doesn't play nearly as quick as his 40 time suggests. The guy really needs to lose some weight. He is not very elusive right now either. Not the type of back you want running that kind of play.

You must have missed last weeks game.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:20 am
  • ImTheScientist wrote:This is back to the Mora/Ruskell days.

You had a post right up until this. A Mora/Ruskell team wouldn't have hung anywhere near the Rams as long as we did yesterday.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:47 am
  • Some guys come into this league feeling entitled to be the guy. Especially true for 1st rounders. It also didn't help that he seemed a little heavier than his college days.

I won't sweat the pick this year as Holmgren rarely played rookies their first year. So hopefully he will see the results of Davis and Carson so far this season and realize that he is in a competitive situation in our RB core. Either it will shake him out of whatever issue he has, or he will waste his first year.

I personally think he will come on by the second half, but he has a mountain to climb.
    Last edited by kf3339 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 am
  • kf3339 wrote:Some guys come into this league feeling entitled to be the guy. Especially true for 1st rounders. It also didn't help that he seemed a little heavier than his college days.

I won't sweat the pick this year as Holmgren rarely played rookies their first year. So hopefully he will see the results of Davis and Carson so far this season and realize that he is in a competitive situation in our RB core. Either it will shake him out of whatever issue he has, or he will waste his first year.

I personally come on by the second half, but he has a mountain to climb.

after his cast came off and he practiced for a week then PC stated Penny lost 8lbs in that week

That should have been the warning signal
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:16 am
  • Not all rookies develop at the same pace, Penny needs more time. Playing him a lot in the first two games costed us, IMO, at least one win.

We are pretty good at this point with Carson and Davis, Penny have to fight for his opportunities.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:28 am
  • toffee wrote:Not all rookies develop at the same pace, Penny needs more time. Playing him a lot in the first two games costed us, IMO, at least one win.

We are pretty good at this point with Carson and Davis, Penny have to fight for his opportunities.

In the win he averaged over 5ypc. Argument doesnt hold up.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 am
  • ImTheScientist wrote:
    toffee wrote:Not all rookies develop at the same pace, Penny needs more time. Playing him a lot in the first two games costed us, IMO, at least one win.

In the win he averaged over 5ypc. Argument doesnt hold up.

That he did, but he wasn't the only one.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:14 am
  • This info comes from the Yahoo fantasy adviser app so take it with a grain of salt but I read that Penny put himself in the dog house by reporting over weight and out of shape. The write up stated that while he has now lost weight he has had "ball security issues" in practice.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:55 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information