Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Tre Flowers, on fast track to ---- ?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Tre Flowers, on fast track to ---- ?
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:26 pm
  • Tre got 100% snap counts on Cowboys game, Pete is playing him a lot and showing confidence in him. How did he played? Anyone got PFF on him?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Re: Tre Flowers, on fast track to ---- ?
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:29 pm
  • I thought he was good early and then got picked on s bit. He's raw and gonna get better but he still has a long way to go. I think corner needs to be a high priority in the draft or free agency next year.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:52 pm
  • I really like him as a prospect.

Due to injury he is playing a year earlier than I would like. In the end though it will be a good thing for him to get this experience now, he is holding up despite being thrown in the fire too early.

He will take a major step forward in year 2.

Extend Coleman
    Draft another Corner

to go along with Griffin & Flowers. That would be a pretty damn good crew of Cornerbacks.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:54 pm
    SkyHawks16
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:05 pm
  • The play he made on one of the Earl INTs I did not know he could make.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 pm
  • He did get picked on a lot, and gave up a lot of completions in the second half, though nothing back-breaking.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:58 am
  • I thought he played well. Significantly better than King...
    Remembering rookies will play like rookies, since 2012.
    JerHawk81
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:14 am
  • Being a rookie i thought he did well. He will be a mainstay with Griffin on the other side. I actually am really excited for our secondary especially if they keep Earl.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:11 am
  • Tre Flowers, on fast track to reward the trust the coaching staff has placed in him.

The speed with which Tre has made the conversion from a college safety to a starting NFL corner is stunning. He looks like a legitimate corner, with a special length, just getting started.

I'm excited about the six pack they have for their dime defense ..... Earl Thomas, Bradley McDougald, Justin Coleman, Shaquill Griffin, Tre Flowers and Tedrick Thompson. Those last three on the list have plenty of room for growth over the duration of the season as they see more snaps. "Love the Process".

Flowers has kept teams from beating him deep.

“He’s a real savvy, aware football player,” Carroll said. “It makes sense for him. The game’s not difficult for him at all, and I think it’s because he’s been in the middle of so much. Kind of like a quarterback has a feel for the whole game different than other positions, I felt like he had a real sense that could help him in making the transition.

“There’s a whole mentality that playing out there (at cornerback), particularly when you’re a press team like we are and we put you right on the line of scrimmage and you’re playing the fastest, best athletes in the world playing the game, that can be overwhelming. It can be daunting to have to face that play in and play out. Not everybody always embraced that mentality, the challenge of that because they have to really be disciplined. They have to be disciplined mentally and not let what just happened affect them. It’s the whole thing you think about with corners, but it’s not just about getting beat deep and how do you come back. It’s about allowing the information to go away and kind of come back to the technique, particularly the way we play and we’re so dedicated to press. It’s really about the discipline of the next snap and the next step you take and you’re focused back in again. If you’re a guy that has trouble turning the rest of the world away, then it’s a harder process. He is really sharp, as is Shaq (Shaquill Griffin). Both these guys have been very similar in the way they’ve handled the start of this thing and really impressive in that.” https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-mailbag-tre-flowers-the-o-line-kids-with-mascots-more-in-this-week-s-se
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:31 am
  • He's been pretty mediocre at best in my opinion, but he's a rookie that shouldnt be out there, but is forced to at this point. I do believe he'll pan out over time though.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:58 am
  • I think he’s doing a great job considering this should’ve been his red shirt year.

The Hawks had many players higher on the depth chart at the start of OTA & TC- Dontae Johnson, Byron Maxwell, DeAndre Elliott and Mike Tyson to name a few.

After reading the names of those projected starters, feels like the injury bug decided to move from RB to CB this off season.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:25 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:He's been pretty mediocre at best in my opinion, but he's a rookie that shouldnt be out there, but is forced to at this point. I do believe he'll pan out over time though.

This is my take as well....he is clearly playing Corner with more of his residual Safety technique and not attacking/playing the ball the same way our corners do. I expect him to improve over time though - especially if we can coach him up on technique.
    Chrome_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:37 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:He's been pretty mediocre at best in my opinion, but he's a rookie that shouldnt be out there, but is forced to at this point. I do believe he'll pan out over time though.

I'd agree.

I also am watching him closely week to week. His progress is going to shape drafts for probably the next couple of years. He is still raw. But he's also getting experience. And he's not a dumpster fire thus far. I expect him to get really lit up in the next 7 weeks as we see a lot of better QBs over that time. He'll get picked on mercilessly.

But I'm not inclined to really hold that against him.

Seattle may not be in altogether that bad of shape at CB by the end of the season. We lost both Maxwell and Johnson to injury this year. If Flowers makes enough strides, it's likely that we don't consider CB a need as far as the draft goes. We could realistically add a hedge UFA (or simply resign Johnson), and if a CB falls to us in BPA scenario -- we could go that way.

At this point, he's just trying not to get beat deep. Not really making a lot of plays on the ball. Not really in position to make plays on the ball. But is a very good tackler. I'm looking to see him improve route recognition and to show better coverage when scheme calls for it. At that point, I'll be looking if he can add some savvy to his game and keep from wrapping arms around receivers picking up DPI calls.

He's got a ton of length. He isn't even really at the point where he's learning how to trust that length and use it because he's so far off receivers. He has a lot of tools, yet he's not at the point where he's figuring them out. It's a process. One I'm relishing to watch unfold. Ultimately I think having to start him is going to accelerate that process.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:43 am
    Mediocre is being kind sir as PFF rated him as one of the worst starting CB. As a homer, he’s one of my adopted rookies, I expect him to be average by the later stage of this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:02 pm
  • I think he has done a great job considering he has been forced to learn on the job. Starting for any rookie is hard and CB is probably one of the hardest positions to start at especially with all the big time money WRs in the league. He has been abused and has kept his mistaken at a minimum. Having said that -- it has only been 3 games so I think it is premature to judge him too strongly one way or another. It will be interesting to see what people think after week 9 if he has started all those games. He certainly hasn't been a "dumpster fire" as some else has said already!
    Z.
    zetes
    NET Rookie

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:22 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:He's been pretty mediocre at best in my opinion, but he's a rookie that shouldnt be out there, but is forced to at this point. I do believe he'll pan out over time though.
    Mediocre is being kind sir as PFF rated him as one of the worst starting CB. As a homer, he’s one of my adopted rookies, I expect him to be average by the later stage of this season.

PFF gave him a grade just under 50, which is a tremendous improvement from the 30-something grade he received in his first game.

I thought he showed more improvement in Week 3 than anticipated. He only allowed a 60 QB rating and 44% completions. He’s keeping the receiver in front of him, by and large. The pass breakup he had that led to an INT was a tremendous play.

I was really down on him after the first game. I think he will be picked on a lot for the rest of the season and will probably allow a few big plays where he beat over the top or on crossing routes that require better agility and technique to defend. But I think he is by far the best option, his length, instincts and attitude are very exciting, and he is progressing faster than I personally anticipated.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:21 pm
  • Don’t get me wrong, I am happy with his progress, I am especially impressed by his thirsty for knowledge. I do expect a few step backs here and there. Learning ain’t linear, if Tre works out, we just just have LOB v2.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:49 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:He's been pretty mediocre at best in my opinion, but he's a rookie that shouldnt be out there, but is forced to at this point. I do believe he'll pan out over time though.

PFF gave him a grade just under 50, which is a tremendous improvement from the 30-something grade he received in his first game.

I thought he showed more improvement in Week 3 than anticipated. He only allowed a 60 QB rating and 44% completions. He’s keeping the receiver in front of him, by and large. The pass breakup he had that led to an INT was a tremendous play.

I was really down on him after the first game. I think he will be picked on a lot for the rest of the season and will probably allow a few big plays where he beat over the top or on crossing routes that require better agility and technique to defend. But I think he is by far the best option, his length, instincts and attitude are very exciting, and he is progressing faster than I personally anticipated.

He hasn't gotten beat over the top yet and if he gets beat on a crossing route its not likely his fault as he's been brought in as a boundary corner. Its the DC's job to keep him schemed away from covering crossing routes. Our system is predicated on lanky corners providing boundary coverage with the safeties, linebackers and nickel corners providing coverage of the crossers and underneath routes.

I doubt PFF really understands our defense and every player's role in it. As long as Flowers isn't getting beat deep, isn't missing tackles, he's doing the job Carroll wants him to do. So I'd rather see Carroll's grade than PFF.

Personally I think Flowers and Dissly might be the steals of the draft.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:58 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    toffee wrote:

He hasn't gotten beat over the top yet and if he gets beat on a crossing route its not likely his fault as he's been brought in as a boundary corner. Its the DC's job to keep him schemed away from covering crossing routes. Our system is predicated on lanky corners providing boundary coverage with the safeties, linebackers and nickel corners providing coverage of the crossers and underneath routes.

I doubt PFF really understands our defense and every player's role in it. As long as Flowers isn't getting beat deep, isn't missing tackles, he's doing the job Carroll wants him to do. So I'd rather see Carroll's grade than PFF.

He has been beaten over the top (a couple times at least in the first game) but one was overthrown and the other wasn’t attempted due to pressure. He was also beaten on a crossing route (man coverage), which was completed.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:46 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    toffee wrote:Mediocre is being kind sir as PFF rated him as one of the worst starting CB. As a homer, he’s one of my adopted rookies, I expect him to be average by the later stage of this season.

He has been beaten over the top (a couple times at least in the first game) but one was overthrown and the other wasn’t attempted due to pressure. He was also beaten on a crossing route (man coverage), which was completed.

If they didn't catch it he wasn't beat. CB 101

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:55 pm
  • He's been picked on, but he plays that bend, don't break defense that i'll accept at this stage. I think he'll improve dramatically by the end of the season. I hope so anyways.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:10 pm
  • We will know how far he has progressed when he begins to jump routes and is confident enough to begin to get into a receivers grill.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:19 am
  • Considering he was always a safety in College, he's doing pretty well overall. It's a lot to throw on a guy as a rookie switching positions. Hopefully he just continues to improve and will be an eventual starter for good.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:39 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    toffee wrote:Mediocre is being kind sir as PFF rated him as one of the worst starting CB. As a homer, he’s one of my adopted rookies, I expect him to be average by the later stage of this season.

You are only beat if they catch the pass.

You don't know that the crossing route he was beat on was his fault. It could have been Earl's fault for coming down on the shorter cross and not covering the deep cross. Tre's responsibility may have been to obtain outside leverage and guard the fade and leave the crosser to the safeties. If you don't know the defense called and everyone's responsibility in it, you can't call "beat".
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:42 am
  • My impressions of Tre was...he blends in...which is a good thing. He wasn't getting his named called much unless it was because he was tussling with a WR (giving them the business, as they say). I like him. He gets in guys heads and he gets beat at a less rate than most rookie CBs do. I think Pete found another solid gem—excited to see him get better as he sees more plays and gets more XP
    "...the disrespect has been well noted and will not be forgotten." - Earl Thomas, discussing the Cowboys only offering a 2nd rounder in a trade for him.
    chawx
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:44 am
  • Clearly they are telling the D to keep things in front of them. More of a bend don't break type thing. Keep them off the scoreboard or to 3's instead of 7's and they have a real shot against anyone.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:11 am
  • It's a successful coverage if you're beat but the receiver drops the ball or the QB misses him? Is it not a bad throw if the QB throws it straight to the defender and the defender drops it?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:40 am
  • adeltaY wrote:It's a successful coverage if you're beat but the receiver drops the ball or the QB misses him? Is it not a bad throw if the QB throws it straight to the defender and the defender drops it?

It's only a bad throw if the QB didn't read the defense right or wasn't under duress. If the WR was supposed to be in front of the defender but runs a wrong route, is it the QB's fault? If the QB gets a hand in his face from the DL is it a bad throw or just a good defensive play?

Again if you don't know the coverage plan and the leverage the DB is supposed to provide, you can't call "beat" just because someone is open near them. Sometimes its obvious, sometimes there's more nuance.

And sometimes if a DB sees a ball is clearly overthrown, they let up and when the cameras arrive it looks like they've been beat.

So many possibilities for what you see on film. Only the coaches and players really know the full truth about anything. We are left to evaluate with limited knowledge and fans tend to oversimplify blame.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:25 pm
  • PFF all-32-nfl-teams-run-defense-units-after-week-6, As a team, Hawks ranked #15,
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... ter-week-6

Top Run Defender (Run-Defense Grade): CB Tre Flowers (92.3). that's totally at elite level.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:54 pm
  • Flowers is a textbook example of what great teachers Pete and his staff are at the DB position.

He was pretty shaky during pre-season, and wasn't even a starter until Johnson got hurt. Now he's showing up in the CB league leaders on defense each week, and has really shored up the position opposite Griffin, which was a HUGE red flag going into the season.

We'll see though just how much he's improved over the next month, cause he'll see some of the best QB's in the league.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:56 pm
  • Slightly off topic but what the heck happened to Maxwell anyway?
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:07 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Slightly off topic but what the heck happened to Maxwell anyway?

Wasn't he an IR release?
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:34 pm
  • Seahawk_Dan wrote:
    Seymour wrote:Slightly off topic but what the heck happened to Maxwell anyway?

Wasn't he an IR release?

On April 27, 2018, the Seattle Seahawks signed Maxwell to a one-year, $2 million contract with a $200,000 signing bonus. On September 1, 2018, Maxwell was placed on injured reserve. He was released with an injury settlement six days later. Pete obviously really liked Flowers.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:41 pm
  • Dan, answer: Yes.

To me although Flowers may be a rookie he's play well in his new position as a CB, yes he has some limitations but is not slow and mirrors well however, he could get himself turned around better to play the ball.

I like his physicality and he is a good tackler, his ball skills will improve with experience. As a SS in college he's doing well playing CB as a pro.

He's not perfect but he's becoming a better CB with each game he plays. He's on the fast track to be a a solid CB.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:42 pm
  • Maxwell is likely hanging around on the ghost roster waiting to be signed as a street FA if someone goes down.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:27 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:Maxwell is likely hanging around on the ghost roster waiting to be signed as a street FA if someone goes down.

I think they will sign him when eligible, they are still pretty thin at cb. I think they like Neiko as a special teams ace and emergency cb, not starting cb. I thought he played well enough when he was in, but my heart sunk when Tre went out with what we later found out to be cramps. Thought it looked serious.

As for answering the question, I think the sky is the limit for Tre. A couple years, who knows, could be top ten. Sherm wasn't FHOF Sherm his rookie season.
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:14 pm
  • Pete tried to convert college safeties to CB, not all worked, but Tre seems like he is on fast track to legit NFL CB.

toffee
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:55 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information