Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

New price tag for Earl

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
New price tag for Earl
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:38 am
  • After 3 great games and after teams' need for safety were exposed. We have at least two teams bidding for Earl now, the Chiefs and Cowboys. In the world of demand and supply .... and in view of what Bears paid for Mak, I would say the new price tag is a 1st rounder plus a 4th rounder, for Cowboys, or a 1st plus a 2nd for the Chiefs.

We don't draft well in 1st, see Penny, but we sure could convert that first into a few lower rounders.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Re: New price tag for Earl
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:40 am
  • toffee wrote:After 3 great games and after teams' need for safety were exposed. We have at least two teams bidding for Earl now, the Chiefs and Cowboys. In the world of demand and supply .... and in view of what Bears paid for Mak, I would say the new price tag is a 1st rounder plus a 4th rounder, for Cowboys, or a 1st plus a 2nd for the Chiefs.

We don't draft well in 1st, see Penny, but we sure could convert that first into a few lower rounders.

Why a 4th for the Cowboys but a 2nd for the Chiefs? If anything, the Cowboys should pay more as they have the higher likelihood of getting him to sign a long term contract.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:40 am
  • toffee wrote:We don't draft well in 1st

Wasn't Earl a first rounder?
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:44 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:After 3 great games and after teams' need for safety were exposed. We have at least two teams bidding for Earl now, the Chiefs and Cowboys. In the world of demand and supply .... and in view of what Bears paid for Mak, I would say the new price tag is a 1st rounder plus a 4th rounder, for Cowboys, or a 1st plus a 2nd for the Chiefs.

Why a 4th for the Cowboys but a 2nd for the Chiefs? If anything, the Cowboys should pay more as they have the higher likelihood of getting him to sign a long term contract.

The Chiefs will be picking much later in the round than the Boys
    irfuben32
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:48 am
  • We all know how Jerry so desperately wants his team to be relevant, and I would be willing to bet that JS jumps at the chance if given to fleece him.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:51 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    toffee wrote:We don't draft well in 1st

You got me Sir. I meant to say we haven't drafted well lately.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:55 am
  • Why do we want so desperately to trade Earl. I agree that we can't just give in to his demands to be the highest paid safety in football. But we can offer him a solid top 5 contract for 3 years and if he says no, tell him to expect a franchise tag.

Dude has been well compensated to play for us the last 8 years including his pre-rookie cap rookie contract. He should be happy to take a top 5 contract in his senior years.

Teams shouldn't just easily cave into players wishes to be traded. Earl is too good a player to just give away because he wants more than you (or potentially anyone else) wants to pay.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:58 am
  • toffee wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

No....he really doesn't. Earl is one of possibly 2 they actually did well enough for "first round grade" on. They have missed on far more than they've hit.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:05 am
  • irfuben32 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:After 3 great games and after teams' need for safety were exposed. We have at least two teams bidding for Earl now, the Chiefs and Cowboys. In the world of demand and supply .... and in view of what Bears paid for Mak, I would say the new price tag is a 1st rounder plus a 4th rounder, for Cowboys, or a 1st plus a 2nd for the Chiefs.

Not 2 rounds later

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:09 am
  • No the price tag is exactly the same, because we've never wavered on Earl's value.

He's one of the top 2, if not the best free safety in the league, and that equals a 1st rounder. It's the other team(s) that keep trying to lowball us.

It's a fair price, but IMO that's not what's keeping the Cowboys and other teams from trading for Earl. It's his extension demands. No one's giving up a 1st rounder for a one year rent-a-player, it's to sign him long term.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:10 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

No....he really doesn't. Earl is one of possibly 2 they actually did well enough for "first round grade" on. They have missed on far more than they've hit.

I believe it was the last time we didn't trade down in the 1st. Isn't that amazing?
    Tinymac2
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:12 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    irfuben32 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

Not 2 rounds later

An early first is way more valuable than a late first so what’s being suggested is that and early first and early fourth is equal value to a late first and late 2nd round pick...
    Hollandhawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:13 am
  • toffee wrote:After 3 great games and after teams' need for safety were exposed. We have at least two teams bidding for Earl now, the Chiefs and Cowboys. In the world of demand and supply .... and in view of what Bears paid for Mak, I would say the new price tag is a 1st rounder plus a 4th rounder, for Cowboys, or a 1st plus a 2nd for the Chiefs.

Earl's value to the Seahawks is much greater than what will be gained by trading him. Unless Dallas or Chiefs offer 2 or 3 first round picks. I still find Chiefs interest a bit puzzling....they have Eric Berry. They surely can't have two high priced guys at the same position. Unless they plan to get rid Berry...it doesn't make any sense.

Why single out Penny? Ifedi, Harvin, and McDowell are much worse and probably more suitable examples of poor decisions.
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:18 am
  • toffee wrote:We don't draft well in 1st, see Penny....

Really? Dude has been dealing with a surgically-repaired finger. Give him a bit of slack and we can judge him after the season.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:23 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Earl's value to the Seahawks is much greater than what will be gained by trading him. Unless Dallas or Chiefs offer 2 or 3 first round picks. I still find Chiefs interest a bit puzzling....they have Eric Berry They surely can't have two high priced guys at the same position. Unless they plan to get rid Berry...it doesn't make any sense..

Sure they can, we did with Kam and Earl................and Berry's cap hit goes way down after this year, still 14M dead cap in 2019, but they certainly could keep Earl and cut him if they think his injury is going to affect his production going forward.

Bottom line for the Chiefs is they are rolling and think they can win it all this year, so if their FO thinks Earl can help them? They most certainly are considering pulling the trigger on trading for him.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:39 am
  • Aros wrote:
    toffee wrote:We don't draft well in 1st, see Penny....

Really? Dude has been dealing with a surgically-repaired finger. Give him a bit of slack and we can judge him after the season.

Yeah, no kidding! It's not his fault he has had no training camp or practice, and that he hasn't gotten any running plays. This is the first game we had any number of running plays, and people are ready to call him a bust. Did our offensive line become great all of a sudden so it's all on Penny?

Revisionist history. Just because Carson had a great game yesterday, doesn't mean we knew he was going to be able to play last spring. We drafted Penny in the 1st round because we needed a running back. Carson was coming off an injury and we hadn't had a 100 yard rusher in a year or two.

Give the guy a chance.

And Earl is shooting himself in the foot. Who's going to pay him a lot of money when he's announcing that he's sitting out of practice for any excuse he can make up to "protect himself."

Then he bowed to the Dallas' sideline getting a 15 yard penalty. And if Ezekial Elliot hadn't of stepped out of bounds, Earl would have given up an easy "Torchdown." ET got lucky on that one.

And I've seen plays where it looks like he's out of position, trying to make big plays to boost his perceived value. I wonder if he's freelancing?
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:42 am
  • toffee wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Well they haven't turned out well, but dropping from the level of talent available in the mid 1st down to the fifth round is not the answer. We need difference makers and it remains true that they're found more often in the 1st.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 am
  • First round picks are a matter of luck.

Do all the research you can.
    Measure everything you can.

You win some, you lose some.
    Look at the history of #1 overall picks, look at the history of first rounders in general.

I don’t think we are necessarily bad at picking in the first round, I just don’t think we hit “all cherries” when we pulled the lever.

I do know this for a fact.....

I enjoy being a Seahawk fan much more when I stop trying to be a coach/GM, and simply watch my team play football games.

I’m a Cheerleader, this MO may not work for everyone.

GoHawks.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:54 am
  • Price went up from 1st and a 3rd, to a 1st and a 3rd + Cole Beasley 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:57 am
  • Clayton just said both of Atlanta’s safety’s are down. JS, Dan Quinn on line 1.
    8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:01 am
  • Tinymac2 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

I believe it was the last time we didn't trade down in the 1st. Isn't that amazing?

No. Carpenter, Irvin, Ifedi and Penny are all first rounders that Pete has selected since Earl and Brokung in 2010. I'd be tempted to throw McDowell in there too since he was a high 2nd (35th) but I didn't.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:05 am
  • The price tag is what someone is willing to give up. So, let the bidding begin.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:05 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Tinymac2 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    toffee wrote:

No. Carpenter, Irvin, Ifedi and Penny are all first rounders that Pete has selected since Earl and Brokung in 2010. I'd be tempted to throw McDowell in there too since he was a high 2nd but I didn't.

Carpenter was not a bust, he did well away from Cable in NY, Irvin not a bust either may not have provided 1st round numbers but once they found his roll did well and is doing well for Oakland, Ifedi we are still on the fence with, has shown for squat mostly but has in recent games shown improvement as well, Penny 3 games in and coming off a hand injury and little of no camp, I will let it ride for a while, he also needs touches since he isn't a third down guy as much as a every down back.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:10 am
  • I would say a 2nd to 5th rd and maybe a combo of those picks. Atlanta needs a safety with allen going down but I doubt they offer much. Gettingearl is one thing but keeping him happy with the money he wants is the main issue as another team could see him as aging injury risk rental for one year. I also think his selfish attitude is hurting any trade chances. Let's not forget Reid is out there and no one wants him which would only be a cheap 1 year probe it deal. The only one here that think Earl is worth what he thinks is Earl and the Earl lovers around here.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:13 am
  • Shoot, it only takes one team to "overpay"
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:36 am
  • My first choice would be the Chiefs. They are in AFC and Andy handled TO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:30 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Shoot, it only takes one team to "overpay"

Chiefs, Falcons, and the girls of course.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:42 pm
  • toffee wrote:My first choice would be the Chiefs. They are in AFC and Andy handled TO.

I want whatever team would have the highest draft pick, which would probably be the Cowboys. Chiefs might go all the way, or at least go deep into the playoffs.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:47 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:47 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    toffee wrote:My first choice would be the Chiefs. They are in AFC and Andy handled TO.

I want whatever team would have the highest draft pick, which would probably be the Cowboys. Chiefs might go all the way, or at least go deep into the playoffs.

They have to overcome the Curse of Mcnabb first.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 pm
  • I just don't understand the value on draft picks ? How is the best safety in the league worth just a first round pick ? One is proven and one is a guest at best....... Do any of you think,the team gets better losing earl and drafting someone next year ?
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:10 pm
  • Ambrose83 wrote:I just don't understand the value on draft picks ? How is the best safety in the league worth just a first round pick ? One is proven and one is a guest at best....... Do any of you think,the team gets better losing earl and drafting someone next year ?

Because he plays in an undervalued position.

- QB
    - LT
    - DE

Those are the top three most valued positions, thus why the Raiders get two first rounders for Mack, and we might not even get a 1st rounder for Earl.

It's like any business, supply and demand. The demand and need for great QB's, LT's and DE's is far greater than the demand for safeties, which most teams can get by with just good, and don't need great to win.

Can you name the starting free safety for the Eagles without Googling him? Didn't think so.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:24 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ambrose83 wrote:I just don't understand the value on draft picks ? How is the best safety in the league worth just a first round pick ? One is proven and one is a guest at best....... Do any of you think,the team gets better losing earl and drafting someone next year ?

- QB
    - LT
    - DE

Those are the top three most valued positions, thus why the Raiders get two first rounders for Mack, and we might not even get a 1st rounder for Earl.

It's like any business, supply and demand. The demand and need for great QB's, LT's and DE's is far greater than the demand for safeties, which most teams can get by with just good, and don't need great to win.

Can you name the starting free safety for the Eagles without Googling him? Didn't think so.

Without googling...It's Malcolm Jenkins (Wears #27 on his jersey).
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:35 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ambrose83 wrote:I just don't understand the value on draft picks ? How is the best safety in the league worth just a first round pick ? One is proven and one is a guest at best....... Do any of you think,the team gets better losing earl and drafting someone next year ?

- QB
    - LT
    - DE

it's actually Rodney McCloud. Jenkins is the strong safety.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:38 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

- QB
    - LT
    - DE

Ahhh...ok.

I bet most NFL fans, if asked, would know who Earl Thomas is. McCloud isn't even a top 10 safety. Not sure what the point you're trying to make here is. It's like asking who the backup for the Chicago Bears is?
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:44 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

- QB
    - LT
    - DE

I bet most NFL fans, if asked, would know who Earl Thomas is. McCloud isn't even a top 10 safety.

Right, thus the low value put on safeties in an offense driven league. You don't need to give up a bunch of first round picks to get Earl Thomas to win a SB............AND have to pay him 40M guaranteed.

Also why he's still playing here.

You asked the question, I answered. Earl's a great player, but between the low value of safeties and his extension demands, you ain't getting multiple first rounders for him. Not to mention his age and injury history.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:46 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:

- QB
    - LT
    - DE

So the guy that had two picks yesterday was undervalued , hof safeties are in the draft every year
    World champs sb48

Aros wrote:

Wait, MizzouHawkGal is a DUDE??
    hawksincebirth
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:47 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:

I bet most NFL fans, if asked, would know who Earl Thomas is. McCloud isn't even a top 10 safety.

Right, thus the low value put on safeties in an offense driven league. You don't need to give up a bunch of first round picks to get Earl Thomas to win a SB............AND have to pay him 40M guaranteed.

Also why he's still playing here.

You asked the question, I answered. Earl's a great player, but between the low value of safeties and his extension demands, you ain't getting multiple first rounders for him. Not to mention his age and injury history.

No I didn't. Ambrose83 did. Your answer is an opinion about the position being low value. You're not getting multiple first rounders for Tom Brady either and he plays a highly valued position. I don't believe anyone on here thinks they will get multiple first round picks for ET. I believe they could get multiple picks for him and one of those could be a 1st round pick.
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:51 pm
  • hawksincebirth wrote:So the guy that had two picks yesterday was undervalued , hof safeties are in the draft every year

His position is undervalued, and in fact the most undervalued it's ever been. The safety market is at rock bottom right now.

It's why Earl' still here, no one wants to give up a first rounder (or more) and have to pay him 40M guaranteed for the next 4-5 years........and it's why we don't want to pay him either.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

New price tag for Earl
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:08 pm
  • Think positive guys, send good chi to Jerry, Andy and Quinn, may one of them sacrifice a 1st plus a mid rounder for our Earl.

My worse nightmare is for John to get all sentimental and give Earl away for a 2nd plus a 5th or something.

toffee
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:10 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information