Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

I’m happy about the win but ....Things I find strange

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • 1) it’s ok for Doug to yell at people the way he did on the sidelines

2) fans are celebrating 3.2ypc on 32 carries. That’s not good.

3) we allow Earl to act the way he acted this week. Unless you trade the guy this week that’s not great.

4) with the way NFL offenses are going with more spread/college offense (and seemingly the perfect QB to run it) we continue to move backwards in time.

I get people are happy with the win but it doesn’t bode well for long term success.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:1) it’s ok for Doug to yell at people the way he did on the sidelines

3) we allow Earl to act the way he acted this week. Unless you trade the guy this week that’s not great.

4) with the way NFL offenses are going with more spread/college offense (and seemingly the perfect QB to run it) we continue to move backwards in time.

I get people are happy with the win but it doesn’t bode well for long term success.

We dont know what Baldwin was saying. So most people are reserving judgment

Fans are celebrating that they ran the ball and gave Wilson some balance.

Thomas.. I mean who knows. It's weird. But i'd rather have him helping us win games than sitting at home like Bell.

NFL offenses are always "moving" in some direction or the other, all the time. It's not like this is a new trend.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• ImTheScientist wrote:1) it’s ok for Doug to yell at people the way he did on the sidelines

I share your concerns about the lack of discipline on this team, which has always been a problem in Pete's tenure.

However, on #2, I'll say its great that we had 32 carries for 3.2 yards because consistently running the ball opens up the offense and allows the back to get into rhythm. The point of a running game is not only to break off large chunks of yardage on every carry, but to keep the defense honest defending the run (thus, opening up the passing game down field), to wear down the clock and keep opposing offenses off the field, and to give the running backs an opportunity to get larger gains later in the game when the defensive lines are worn down. All of these things happened in this game, which contributed to the win.
    aawolf
    NET Veteran

• aawolf wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:1) it’s ok for Doug to yell at people the way he did on the sidelines

I share your concerns about the lack of discipline on this team, which has always been a problem in Pete's tenure.

However, on #2, I'll say its great that we had 32 carries for 3.2 yards because consistently running the ball opens up the offense and allows the back to get into rhythm. The point of a running game is not only to break off large chunks of yardage on every carry, but to keep the defense honest defending the run (thus, opening up the passing game down field), to wear down the clock and keep opposing offenses off the field, and to give the running backs an opportunity to get larger gains later in the game when the defensive lines are worn down. All of these things happened in this game, which contributed to the win.

Here’s the thing about yards per carry that people get hung up on. While 3.2 ypc doesn’t seem like much, it is wearing the defense down and taking time off the clock. YPC stats can often times be very misleading. It doesn’t mean that every single run nets 3.2 yards but is rather the average gain throughout the game. Some runs are longer, some runs are losses. If he had one additional carry at the end of the game that went for 20 yards then we are looking at a 4 ypc average and all of a sudden everyone is happy and dancing in the streets.

A running Attack must be looked at as an all game attack. Carson’s ypc might have been better in the first 2 games but it wasn’t effective. Mostly because it wasn’t used all game long. It’s not necessarily the long gains, although those are nice and exciting, but rather the constant pounding and clock control that makes the bigger difference.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• A couple other things allowed the Run-Game to work:

1. Fewer penalties that backed us up
    2. Fewer sacks
    3. Not too many carries for a loss of yards
    4. Better position on 3rd down (3rd and short[er]) as the game wore on

This game was much cleaner in these regards.
    NET Veteran

• Doug has arguably done as much for this franchise as Wilson.

Almost all the great scramble plays where Russell flings it up had Baldwin on the end of it, making amazing catches. Some of those balls were near uncatchable and somehow he roped them in (like the toe tap catch on the sidelines in Carolina a few years back, as a for instance).

Doug is our biggest threat in the RZ and most reliable.

I don't care if he is punching coaches in the face as long as he scores TDs. Frankly, his opinion matters more than the OC since he has actually produced.

And it could be argued that the offense was shifted back on track by his tirade.

Doug gets to do whatever he wants, he has earned it. The guys he yelled at? Not even close. Until they do, they need to shut up, take it, listen and then do whatever he says.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• You know there is something besides 'stats' to evaluate your team. Or better said, stats can be construed a number of ways to make illogical points. I don't know if ypc is THE worst stat to look at, but if you must why apply it to an entire game which we were leading big time comfortably the majority?

With a large lead and the entire fourth quarter to play, the defense is no longer playing honest. Therefore, what do you expect, Barry Sanders type numbers out of the backfield, or rather very small clock eating gains?
    Last edited by Optimus25 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Optimus25
    NET Veteran

• YPC is a dumb metric to judge anything by.

Carson is doing his job. You don't reach 100 yards in a game by sucking.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• ImTheScientist wrote:2) fans are celebrating 3.2ypc on 32 carries. That’s not good.

Wrong. It's great. They committed to the run game. It wasn't huge chunks, but it was smash-mouth, honest football and it was effective.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I can't even fathom being anything but happy with what we saw yesterday from the running game. They stuck to it, YPC means squat, they wore them down with all the runs, and won the time of possession battle.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

I agree. Bring back Eddie Lacy so we can celebrate 2.6 YPC. :sarcasm_off:

The commitment to the run opened up plays down field and helped with the pass rush. It accomplished more than 3.2 YPC in the grand scheme of things.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:2) fans are celebrating 3.2ypc on 32 carries. That’s not good.

Wrong. It's great. They committed to the run game. It wasn't huge chunks, but it was smash-mouth, honest football and it was effective.

Exactly. When you are up by 3 scores, teams know you are going to run and they will line up to stop it. Being able to keep gaining positive yards despite that is nothing but good news.

The biggest reason why Dallas average more ground ypc than us is that they ran when everyone expected them to pass and we ran when everyone expected us to run. Coaches aren't stupid. When we are up we will let you get 8 yds per carry if it keeps the clock moving.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

• Carson was averaging 4 YPC most of the game. They clamped down at the end when they knew all we were doing was running and brought his average down.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Zeke averaged 7.9 yards. How did his team do? But he got "stats" so that's good :stirthepot:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:
    3) we allow Earl to act the way he acted this week. Unless you trade the guy this week that’s not great..

If we don't heavily fine Earl for missing practice, I'll agree with you.

He's played great so far, but you can't allow him to throw his trade tantrums without consequences.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• IF you trade him, highest bidder. At this point, no need to cater to his desire to play for the team he wants to.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:Carson was averaging 4 YPC most of the game. They clamped down at the end when they knew all we were doing was running and brought his average down.

:ditto:

Carson was a beast and at the end of the game, they were zoning in on the run, because we were both eating the clock and getting him his 100 yards. They knew it, everyone knew it so it brought down his average. What he did yesterday (which has been mentioned above) is to create positive plays, good momentum, short yardage situations which allow us to convert 1st downs easier and scored a TD. This is the type of play we need more of, not less.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• ""If we don't heavily fine Earl for missing practice, I'll agree with you.""

IIRC, Beastmode used to miss a lot of practices and even some games because "he didn't feel right". This was allowed by PC likely due to the perceived superstar status of Lynch. IIRC, I don't recall Lynch ever being fined for missing any practices or games. Obviously, there is no superstar exception for ET from PC or from some fans. How come?

:smilingalien:
    ------------------Rashaad Penny, the next great Seahawks RB.------------------
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

I agree with all four of your points.

- Pete's team often lack discipline which led to Pete losing the locker room in the last two seasons.

- When Carson was at 20 carries or so, he had 70+ yards or about 3.5 ypc. At that point, I thought he was going to hit 100 yards, as Dallas's defense was tiring ... so time to burst a long one. That obvious didn't happen. So it took Carson another 12 carries to gain the last 30 yards or so. But we were leading, but quite a bit. Running at that point was to kill time.

- After yesterday's game, Cowboy's need for a legit safety is so obvious. Won't be surprised that Earn start for the girls next week.

- For our long term success? Pete demonstrated his genius with defense, in the three games, we could have won it all because of overachieving defense. Offense lacks another WR that can get open consistently .... and hold on the ball. Once Baldwin is at full speed, then we need a tall procession WR.

As a rebuilding team, we are doing OK. If this team can be 30% better by second half of this season, we will be a contender next year.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:

The 32 carries I think is the big thing. 3.2 isn't great but if I recall, it was higher earlier in the game and came down towards the end when it was obvious the Seahawks were going to run. Now, it would be nice if they could have done a better job in those instances but I think it's the early part of the game that was appealing to fans.
    I don't know what "allow" means. There was talk of him getting some pretty big fines. Not sure what else you expect them to do. I guess you could bench him, but he's still pretty darn good.
    This is true. I would like to see the Hawks with a more innovative offensive coach. I think Russ would excel in that. But it ain't happening.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

"Long term success" is not in the cards this season or w/this crew.

It'll most likely be a .500 or so season - a little better or worse.

For the 3rd season in a row we are not legit playoff contenders.

Major reset coming.

All that said, it was a pretty fun win and we need to take those when we can these days.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

I missed the Doug thing, what was that about?

Celebrating a commitment to and a fair execution of the running game. Carson was on the edge of breaking several of those runs that would have improved the YPC. I can remember Lynch getting only 70 yards in some games we won.

As long as Thomas comes out to play on Sunday he can do whatever he wants other days.

With the way the D is playing we can win a lot of games pounding the rock and allowing Russ to get passes out quickly.

What I found most concerning were the number of 3 and outs in the 4th quarter. Was just giving Dallas opps to come back. D held strong.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• Things I found strange? Only one. How does this team get called for too many players on the field? Not once but twice! Can't they assign this duty to a lesser peon; but someone who's really good and fast at counting to 11? How difficult can that be?

Or maybe Paul Allen can ask one of his minions to write a program for the Microsoft Surface that goes 'meep morp' whenever a 12th player is tempted to run onto the field.
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

1.) couldn’t be a bigger non story
    2.) we had a HB fun for over 100 yards. 9/10 that means we win. Who cares?
    3.) he averages a pick a game and plays like the best safety in the league, again, who cares?
    4.) Yes, I agree. Shotty is a boring and terrible play caller.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• StoneCold wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:1) it’s ok for Doug to yell at people the way he did on the sidelines

What I found most concerning were the number of 3 and outs in the 4th quarter. Was just giving Dallas opps to come back. D held strong.

There were two.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• I'm happy about the win.......but I'm not.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• Because winning has to look a certain way?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• bmorepunk wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:

There were two.

You are correct about that. Seemed like more. Still would like to have seen them take advantage late in the game and put it away.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• I always find it passing odd that folks always find something to grumble about when the team wins and then melt down when they lose.

1. The O wasn't working very effectively up until DB's sideline rant. Once the team focused back on the run and play action the ball moved. Baldwin's sideline rant was one that was seemingly motivational.

2. The YBC assessment of the running game is a dubious way of looking at things when it is concerned. What was tremendous about Carson's play was that he ran hard, used up the clock, and was effective in forcing Dallas to honour the play action. To me I was happy to see the team's commitment to run the darn ball. The O scored a rushing TD too which hadn't happened in almost a year. The running game tilted the TOP in favour of the Hawks by approximately 4 minutes. this to me was a huge positive.

3. The ET3 situation is going to have to play itself out. He is an exceptional player but the team may have to deal with his situation one way or another before long. He showed us all this week, last week, and the week before that he is a special talent so be it a new deal, a trade, or some compromise the dam needs to break on this situation.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• I would say some of his last 6 runs changed that average, but we had 3rd and either 1 to 6 yards most of the time with no 3rd and 15s and 20s like we've had by passing all the time. We converted much more manageable 3rd downs at a much higher rate than we've had in a while, particularly in the 1st half.

Keeps defense honest
    Manageable 3rd downs
    Rolls clock/controls ball
    Wears down the defense and beats them up.
    Etc.
    Etc.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Use success rate instead of YPC then. It wasn't great, though Carson had some very good runs. Pete ball worked in this game because the defense was fantastic. That was the main reason we won.

The cowboys score on a couple of possessions there and we would have abandoned the run in a hurry, Pete has shown to be more than willing to do that.

I don't think this will work against the Chiefs, Chargers, Vikes (maybe), Packers, Rams, or Panthers tbh. Those QBs are going to put up way more than 13 points and we are gonna have to throw.

I'm worried about the receivers ability to separate and the scheme still.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:Use success rate instead of YPC then. It wasn't great, though Carson had some very good runs. Pete ball worked in this game because the defense was fantastic. That was the main reason we won.

The cowboys score on a couple of possessions there and we would have abandoned the run in a hurry, Pete has shown to be more than willing to do that.

I don't think this will work against the Chiefs, Chargers, Vikes (maybe), Packers, Rams, or Panthers tbh. Those QBs are going to put up way more than 13 points and we are gonna have to throw.

I'm worried about the receivers ability to separate and the scheme still.

Only if we don't control the ball and keep putting the ball in their QBs hands.

Not unlike the Lions yesterday. When you start getting and panicked and don't play your game, that's when things fall apart.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• The Lions won because they shut down the Pats passing attack. Kind of like how we won because we limited Prescott to fewer YPA than Elliot's YPC, which is crazy.

Pats have no good receivers besides Gronk. The lions doubled him aggressively and Brady had nowhere to go. You have to play good defense to win like this and I don't have the confidence in this D against a good QB YET. Maybe they prove me wrong.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Dude did you even watch the game? Carson was amazing. Any analytical fan of the game knows stats never tell the whole story.

I hate how Earl is behaving. But he’s behaving as cold and as ruthless as NFL fans, Owners, and GMs are to players for years. So I really don’t see the point of complaining. Stop holding these owners and Gms to a lower standard. Earl’s main flaw...honestly, is that he doesn’t have a filter with how he speaks

TwistedHusky wrote:Doug has arguably done as much for this franchise as Wilson.

Almost all the great scramble plays where Russell flings it up had Baldwin on the end of it, making amazing catches. Some of those balls were near uncatchable and somehow he roped them in (like the toe tap catch on the sidelines in Carolina a few years back, as a for instance).

Doug is our biggest threat in the RZ and most reliable.

I don't care if he is punching coaches in the face as long as he scores TDs. Frankly, his opinion matters more than the OC since he has actually produced.

And it could be argued that the offense was shifted back on track by his tirade.

Doug gets to do whatever he wants, he has earned it. The guys he yelled at? Not even close. Until they do, they need to shut up, take it, listen and then do whatever he says.

I love Doug. He’s amazing, but let’s not get carried away.

The Seahawks can win with Doug missing a few games. If Wilson were to miss some games, we’d consider the season over. As the Browns have proven with Mayfield, having a QB is literally the difference between being bottom of the league and being at least mid-tier. A quarterback changes the entire outcome of games. If Russell was on the Cowboys with Zeke and that defense, they’re probably in the playoff discussion
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• You would think people would be happy with our 1st win since last Christmas Eve, our first game in a year that we trusted in our commitment to the run, another great defensive effort and an all around vintage Hawk victory...but nope we have a few fans griping about YPC because they're butthurt over their boy Penny being benched and feel that Doug being Doug is somehow a major crisis.

Hawk fans never cease to amaze sometimes.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:The Lions won because they shut down the Pats passing attack. Kind of like how we won because we limited Prescott to fewer YPA than Elliot's YPC, which is crazy.

Pats have no good receivers besides Gronk. The lions doubled him aggressively and Brady had nowhere to go. You have to play good defense to win like this and I don't have the confidence in this D against a good QB YET. Maybe they prove me wrong.

We will! But need another 5-6 games to get there ... without major injury of course. We are thin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:You would think people would be happy with our 1st win since last Christmas Eve, our first game in a year that we trusted in our commitment to the run, another great defensive effort and an all around vintage Hawk victory...but nope we have a few fans griping about YPC because they're butthurt over their boy Penny being benched and feel that Doug being Doug is somehow a major crisis.

there are reason to talk about ypc, 32 carries kills your RB, his productivity will drop after a few games like this. 32carries to gain 100yards will cost games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:You would think people would be happy with our 1st win since last Christmas Eve, our first game in a year that we trusted in our commitment to the run, another great defensive effort and an all around vintage Hawk victory...but nope we have a few fans griping about YPC because they're butthurt over their boy Penny being benched and feel that Doug being Doug is somehow a major crisis.

Some Hawk fans just know more, demand more, and can quickly figure out that less is not more.

Other fans are content to merely watch a game.

To each their own...
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

• Im in the minority I guess. Im not going to dwell on the average because we won and thats all that matters. But a lot of stuff has to go right to get to 30 carries at 3.2 ypc and its not sustainable IMO. I think you need to be above 4. I love the commitment to the run and I am sure it will get better but the next loss people will change there tune about 3.2 and 30 carries. Fans will go back to demanding for coaches heads and howling about the run run pass offense.

As for Thomas, I am ready for all the old guard defensive players gone. KJ,Wagner and Thomas are my 3 favorite players from the great D but I question their leadership during the drama and letting things go down like they did. Someone needed to squash that whole thing before it got to where it did. We are better now with them,but I think its time to bite the bullet and make room for the next leaders to emerge.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Man agreed with all, except perhaps Doug.

1) Team needs a little fire and his angry furnace is always burning.

2) Run game is still pathetic, need RW to become part of it.

3) Earl is no Rocket Surgeon

4) we have a Ferrari and treat him like a Yugo
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• Palmegranite wrote:Things I found strange? Only one. How does this team get called for too many players on the field? Not once but twice! Can't they assign this duty to a lesser peon; but someone who's really good and fast at counting to 11? How difficult can that be?

Or maybe Paul Allen can ask one of his minions to write a program for the Microsoft Surface that goes 'meep morp' whenever a 12th player is tempted to run onto the field.

:mrgreen: I couldn't agree more, the constant stupid penalties by this team are mind boggling. And some of them are directly tied to the guys on the sidelines.
    How in the heck do we have 12 guys in the huddle after a timeout??? Why is it so hard to get playcalls in before the play clock is winding down?
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• The Lions beat Brady by keeping him off the field. I don’t care if I have to watch Carson grind out 3 yards a carry, it beats watching Russell play out of rhythm like the last few weeks and go 3 and out for 3 qtrs.. Keep in mind the line was down two starters and Sea still got 100 yards rushing against a top 5 D. And the guy calling the plays was intimately familiar with our offense.

A wins a win. Enjoy it.

This team still has problems. This team will still be the underdog in a bunch of games.

But we scored more than 20 points, we got some turnovers and we avoided 0-3. I don’t know what more could’ve been expected given the roster and the previous weeks performance.

We’re not suddenly going to turn into the Rams or Chiefs.
    Yxes1122
    NET Rookie

Wait, what?, we had a Run Game????!!!.......Hmmm, maybe that contributed to the win.
    Do a little research ITS, and look up the last time that the Seahawks had a RB rack up 100+ yards in a game...That's why all the jubilation on a 3.2ypc running attack.........Besides, it's all got to start somewheres, eh. :0190l:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• CamanoIslandJQ wrote:""If we don't heavily fine Earl for missing practice, I'll agree with you.""

IIRC, Beastmode used to miss a lot of practices and even some games because "he didn't feel right". This was allowed by PC likely due to the perceived superstar status of Lynch. IIRC, I don't recall Lynch ever being fined for missing any practices or games. Obviously, there is no superstar exception for ET from PC or from some fans. How come?

:smilingalien:

Because it was Pete’s choice to rest Marshawn. Marshawn didn’t just skip participating and declare he was going to sit out if he had even a hint of anything.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

• Zeke averaged almost 8 yards a carry. How'd that work out?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote:A couple other things allowed the Run-Game to work:

2. Fewer sacks

I’d argue those 4 things were a result of committing to the run and not the other way around.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

• Not sure about anyone else, but to me, the pass rush was the most surprising thing in that game. Especially against that O Line. They were pressuring him all day long, and had good energy.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• HAWKAMANIA wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:A couple other things allowed the Run-Game to work:

2. Fewer sacks

I’d argue those 4 things were a result of committing to the run and not the other way around.

There's definitely merit to what you say as we generally have fewer false starts and holding penalties when running the ball, but avoiding those 1st or second and 15 or 20 allows you to run more.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• Looks like if you want to direct blame at Seattle's run game, you should be looking at the O-line, not the RB.

And that stat is WITH Fluker in the lineup for one game. I don't want to know how bad it was after just Week 2.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Looks like if you want to direct blame at Seattle's run game, you should be looking at the O-line, not the RB.

And that stat is WITH Fluker in the lineup for one game. I don't want to know how bad it was after just Week 2.

that made me appreciate Carson more, he was getting 0.9 yards per carry before 1st contact. he fought for the other 2.3yards after contact to make it 3.2 yards per carry.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information