Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Russell Wilson the human pinata

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Russell Wilson the human pinata
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:05 pm


  • Brett Kollmann breaks down Wilson's sacks, and coaching issues on the Seattle Seahawks offensive front.

    I apologize if this has already been posted(mods can remove if it has), but this video brings a lot of insight on some of our line woes. A lot of it on Wilson, but a ton of it is also on the offensive scheming. The way we're implementing chip blocks, and leaving Ifedi in one vs one situations.
    Last edited by Spin Doctor on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2636
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 am


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:07 pm
  • When you use the youtube tags you only need the video identifier (YqzeCQTCsfM in your case) not the URL:

    [utube]YqzeCQTCsfM[/utube] (except spell you correctly like below)
    I used to be Bitter.
    User avatar
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1396
    Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:38 pm


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:10 pm
  • JustTheTip wrote:When you use the youtube tags you only need the video identifier (YqzeCQTCsfM in your case) not the URL:

    [utube]YqzeCQTCsfM[/utube] (except spell you correctly like below)

    Thanks!
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2636
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 am


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:16 pm
  • Great link!
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3062
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:23 pm
  • Love Brett's stuff! Lots of great film content around these days.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:48 pm
  • The one thing missing is how much play clock is left by the time they get to the line of scrimmage. I'm guessing with a reasonable amount of time they could have done a better job of adjusting to the blitz. I wonder if that's part of why hurry-up is so effective: Russ actually has time to make adjustments when he doesn't have to huddle up and wait for a play call.

    But in general, it's a perfect storm of new OC, first couple games of the season, and elite players at DE.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1035
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:11 pm


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:13 pm
  • A-Dog wrote:But in general, it's a perfect storm of new OC, first couple games of the season, and elite players at DE.


    I agree. I highly doubt Russell will look this inept for an entire season. Something has to give. They may not make the playoffs (again) but I do anticipate continued improvement as the season goes along. Not every team has a Kalil Mack or Von Miller.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12641
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:19 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    A-Dog wrote:But in general, it's a perfect storm of new OC, first couple games of the season, and elite players at DE.


    I agree. I highly doubt Russell will look this inept for an entire season. Something has to give. They may not make the playoffs (again) but I do anticipate continued improvement as the season goes along. Not every team has a Kalil Mack or Von Miller.


    True, but we still have to face

    DLaw
    Bosa/Ingram (wanna bet Bosa is healthy come Seahawks game?)
    Justin Houston
    Donald/Suh twice
    Chandler Jones twice
    Everson Griffen/Danielle Hunter

    Lots of Elite DL in this league unfortunately.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:40 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    A-Dog wrote:But in general, it's a perfect storm of new OC, first couple games of the season, and elite players at DE.


    I agree. I highly doubt Russell will look this inept for an entire season. Something has to give. They may not make the playoffs (again) but I do anticipate continued improvement as the season goes along. Not every team has a Kalil Mack or Von Miller.

    There has been a few big issues with this offense. One I didn't notice was how we were scheming in chip blocks. In most cases it seemed to benefit the defensive end, and leave Ifedi in a really poor position to deal with things. Russ definitely has his fair share of the blame, but there is a lot of problems a foot that contributed to those poor games.

    Leaving Ifedi alone as much as we are is also a foolish endeavor by our staff.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2636
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 am


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:47 pm
  • The fact we continue to put Ifedi out there is frustrating. To say he is poor and therefore its not his fault he is getting beat like a drum seems an odd conclusion. He drags this entire offense down with his incompetence.
    You should not have to scheme your entire game around a tackles inability to block. Give him some help sure but to give him a pass because we already know he sucks so we shouldn't expect more is insane.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1585
    Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:21 pm


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:16 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:The fact we continue to put Ifedi out there is frustrating. To say he is poor and therefore its not his fault he is getting beat like a drum seems an odd conclusion. He drags this entire offense down with his incompetence.
    You should not have to scheme your entire game around a tackles inability to block. Give him some help sure but to give him a pass because we already know he sucks so we shouldn't expect more is insane.


    Well that's one aspect where I think the presenter doesn't know the Hawks as well as we know them. He said that a lot of these are not too hard to remedy in some fashion but...

    that runs contra to what we've seen where the easy things aren't ever seemingly done as a remedy.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3062
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:50 am
  • I thought the thread title was in reference to the virtual beating he takes around here.
    Last edited by Seanhawk on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5396
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:08 am
  • That was an amazing video, thanks for posting. I think I learned more about offensive and defensive line play than I ever thought I knew in the past.

    It also reinforced my original thought, which I kind of forgot, from the offseason when we got rid of Cable and got Solari. It is going to take awhile to rid the players of the bad and instill the good plus develop that all important cohesion, most likely into a good chunk of the regular season.

    That being said, I have to agree with the point about Ifedi being so bad we should have to scheme everything around him. Unfortunately, I think we are kind of stuck with him (or worse??) for the season so I can see what Brett was saying.

    Go Hawks!!!
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2412
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:08 pm


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:59 am
  • oregonhawkfan wrote:That was an amazing video, thanks for posting. I think I learned more about offensive and defensive line play than I ever thought I knew in the past.

    Agreed, it was a very insightful video. Definitely went into a lot of the finer nuances of football. I especially loved his breakdown of Von Miller's sack; the level of detail -- like breaking down what Miller did with left hand, and then what he did with his right hand -- was incredible.

    A couple days ago someone referenced The Athletic (I think); the Athletic said one of the six sacks was Wilson's fault. Brett Kollmann, however, attributed half of the sacks to Wilson.
    User avatar
    JimmyG
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 284
    Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:42 pm


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:49 am
  • oregonhawkfan wrote:That was an amazing video, thanks for posting. I think I learned more about offensive and defensive line play than I ever thought I knew in the past.
    ...

    Ditto. Will have to check out more of these videos.
    User avatar
    Knuck Chox
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 12
    Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:51 pm
    Location: Walla Walla, Washington


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:05 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    Aros wrote:
    A-Dog wrote:But in general, it's a perfect storm of new OC, first couple games of the season, and elite players at DE.


    I agree. I highly doubt Russell will look this inept for an entire season. Something has to give. They may not make the playoffs (again) but I do anticipate continued improvement as the season goes along. Not every team has a Kalil Mack or Von Miller.

    There has been a few big issues with this offense. One I didn't notice was how we were scheming in chip blocks. In most cases it seemed to benefit the defensive end, and leave Ifedi in a really poor position to deal with things. Russ definitely has his fair share of the blame, but there is a lot of problems a foot that contributed to those poor games.

    Leaving Ifedi alone as much as we are is also a foolish endeavor by our staff.


    Here's the problem, though: in the first play of the season, we DIDN'T leave him alone. The first play of the season was with two tight ends lined up blocking to Ifedi's right, while Seattle ran with two receivers running routes. Ifedi still got beat. So did one of the tight ends. Those two guys were the ones to sack Russell.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 15900
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:28 am
  • Sorry I disagree with some of the nuance of that video. I loved the video and the detail, the author really shows some good knowledge and I just disagree with a lot of his conclusions.

    Ifedi is your right tackle, you cannot always leave a chip and at some points you have to let him be responsible for his bad play. He spent almost half the video on this. The hawks chipped a ton outside inside.

    The play design and recognition on the corner blitz was backward, that is a communication error/communication on wr's and QB, plus the D recognizing tendencies. The outside wr ran an in route the middle ran the deep route. The D was in position for this, the man over the top ran with the deep route, contrary to the authors stated opinion that he would not take the deep route, this was a man coverage. If the middle ran an out and the outside ran the deep, you can beat the coverage.

    We saw this a lot, as people harp on, no short, medium, long dump off options and even the short options seem to take more time than 3, 5 step and fire.

    The missed throw we saw underneath coverage from the LB moving with Wilson and then back out with a TE. I think Wilson does need to pull the trigger and take the small window.

    In conclusion I think line play, scheme, down and distance, tendencies, and then QB are the reason for the sacks weighted in that order.

    I do think the line will get better, Pete screwed up in both the bears and the broncos game because he wanted downfield attacks and moved away from the run game. We had a small run game going in the bears game, he needed to stick with it. This Dallas game in my opinion needs to be a game where all they do is run the ball. 1st and 2nd down run the ball, and if 3rd and 3 or shorter run the ball. The hawks should only sprinkle in some quick hitters and deep throws.
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 925
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 am


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:40 am
  • :vodka:
    adeltaY wrote:
    Aros wrote:
    A-Dog wrote:But in general, it's a perfect storm of new OC, first couple games of the season, and elite players at DE.


    I agree. I highly doubt Russell will look this inept for an entire season. Something has to give. They may not make the playoffs (again) but I do anticipate continued improvement as the season goes along. Not every team has a Kalil Mack or Von Miller.


    True, but we still have to face

    DLaw
    Bosa/Ingram (wanna bet Bosa is healthy come Seahawks game?)
    Justin Houston
    Donald/Suh twice
    Chandler Jones twice
    Everson Griffen/Danielle Hunter

    Lots of Elite DL in this league unfortunately.


    Add Sheldon Richardson to that list with Griffen and Hunter.... He leads the league in pressures from the interior, I think 18 was the number.
    User avatar
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 798
    Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:43 am


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:43 am
  • This lines up with how I've felt watching the first two games. I'm not seeing the multi player jailbreaks we'd see with cable coaching. Take away Ifedi being destroyed and Wilson holding the ball sacks, and my impression is n NFL caliber line thus far. One that created lanes as well though we opt not to run the damn ball.

    Maybe Ifedi won't be useless against non elite rushers or maybe he needs replacing, but me talking about only one gaping vacuum of suck in that unit feels like a quantum leap forward.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8400
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:43 am
  • 13 to be exact, but yeah :(
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:35 pm
  • Good video.

    My take away is that there is a lot of fault to go around. The line, the scheme, the QB, and the receivers. It should all improve and hopefully quick. The corner blitz was obvious. We are better than that.
    Tinymac2
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 182
    Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:18 am


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:51 pm
  • JimmyG wrote:
    oregonhawkfan wrote:That was an amazing video, thanks for posting. I think I learned more about offensive and defensive line play than I ever thought I knew in the past.

    Agreed, it was a very insightful video. Definitely went into a lot of the finer nuances of football. I especially loved his breakdown of Von Miller's sack; the level of detail -- like breaking down what Miller did with left hand, and then what he did with his right hand -- was incredible.

    A couple days ago someone referenced The Athletic (I think); the Athletic said one of the six sacks was Wilson's fault. Brett Kollmann, however, attributed half of the sacks to Wilson.


    I believe he said three of the total twelve sacks Wilson has taken. Maybe he was referring to one of the games only but I thought it was the total through two games.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:01 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:
    JimmyG wrote:
    oregonhawkfan wrote:That was an amazing video, thanks for posting. I think I learned more about offensive and defensive line play than I ever thought I knew in the past.

    Agreed, it was a very insightful video. Definitely went into a lot of the finer nuances of football. I especially loved his breakdown of Von Miller's sack; the level of detail -- like breaking down what Miller did with left hand, and then what he did with his right hand -- was incredible.

    A couple days ago someone referenced The Athletic (I think); the Athletic said one of the six sacks was Wilson's fault. Brett Kollmann, however, attributed half of the sacks to Wilson.


    I believe he said three of the total twelve sacks Wilson has taken. Maybe he was referring to one of the games only but I thought it was the total through two games.

    He was talking about both of the games. He even had some Broncos footage in there.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2636
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 am


Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:10 pm
  • This might be the season he finally gets injured. But Russ will find a way to avoid that, because he’s a magician and knows how to make plays out of nothing.

    Let’s not ignore the packers NFC championship. We know he has the magic. It’s the coaching! Pete is too stubborn.
    Last edited by Decimation on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Decimation
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1121
    Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 9:28 am


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:42 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    JimmyG wrote:
    oregonhawkfan wrote:That was an amazing video, thanks for posting. I think I learned more about offensive and defensive line play than I ever thought I knew in the past.

    Agreed, it was a very insightful video. Definitely went into a lot of the finer nuances of football. I especially loved his breakdown of Von Miller's sack; the level of detail -- like breaking down what Miller did with left hand, and then what he did with his right hand -- was incredible.

    A couple days ago someone referenced The Athletic (I think); the Athletic said one of the six sacks was Wilson's fault. Brett Kollmann, however, attributed half of the sacks to Wilson.


    I believe he said three of the total twelve sacks Wilson has taken. Maybe he was referring to one of the games only but I thought it was the total through two games.

    He was talking about both of the games. He even had some Broncos footage in there.


    I'm not jumping on the anti RW train but he specifically says, " 3 of the 6 sacks he takes against Chicago". Just to be prosise. 11:44 - 11:50.

    It's a team sport. I just hope we fix it and fast.
    Tinymac2
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 182
    Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:18 am


Re: Russell Wilson the human pinata
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:52 am
  • Like yesterday? Yeah, that's a good D Line and we held up well.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9995
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA




It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:35 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information