Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks haven’t managed an opening drive TD in almost 2 yrs

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Seattle’s last opening drive TD was Week 3 of the 2016 against the San Francisco 49ers, when Christine Michael scored his first touchdown on a 41-yard burst. Since then? Here are the ensuing end results over the next 31 weeks:

Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    Blocked Punt
    Field Goal
    Punt
    Punt
    Field Goal
    Field Goal
    Punt
    Fumble
    Field Goal
    Punt
    Field Goal
    Punt
    Field Goal
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    Interception
    Interception
    Field Goal
    Punt
    Fumble
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/9/19/17 ... statistics

Hahahahahahahhahaha :pukeface:
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• I heard that the other day yet I could have sworn that we finally broke that pathetic record (an all time NFL record) around game 28 (total) last year? Not sure which game, but a swear it ended??

edit...hmmm could have been a TD kick return I thought ended it??
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• At least we're the best at something right? :stirthepot:
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Surprised Jon Ryan's leg didn't fall off.

I think that's why we drafted Dickson because we wanted to keep the trend alive and needed a fresh, young leg.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

• Brings to mind Einstein's quote about the definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"
    canucklehead
    NET Bench Warmer

• canucklehead wrote:Brings to mind Einsein's quote about the definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"

Technically Einstein didn't say that, though the quote is still attributed to him. Regardless the meaning is still the same.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

• Seahawk_Dan wrote:
    canucklehead wrote:Brings to mind Einsein's quote about the definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"

Technically Einstein didn't say that, though the quote is still attributed to him. Regardless the meaning is still the same.

No, the meaning is still terrible, especially when attributed to a scientist.

When you take measurements in a scientific process, you almost always get different results. That's what statistical distributions and the whole 95% confidence interval thing are for. But you do the same thing over and over.

When I estimate how long it will take to drive across town? Always different results. Light timing and the existence of other cars and the behavior of the drivers would never allow for the same result.

Baseball players throw and swing at the same kinds of pitches constantly. All sorts of different results.

Football players do many of the same things over and over again. Different results.

Einstein would have never said something so stupid.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• Gotta love "Pete" ball.

He again doubled down at his presser today. When asked about the offense. Something about staying the same, just gotta "stick with it" propaganda. And yes I am calling it propaganda at this point. You have to call it that after multiple years of this.

Pete is insane.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:Gotta love "Pete" ball.

He again doubled down at his presser today. When asked about the offense. Something about staying the same, just gotta "stick with it" propaganda. And yes I am calling it propaganda at this point. You have to call it that after multiple years of this.

Pete is insane.

If we drop to 1-6 and the Pete quotes stay the same then I imagine he's gone. Maybe not during the season but by the end.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

• Seahawk_Dan wrote:
    canucklehead wrote:Brings to mind Einsein's quote about the definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"

:34853_doh:

That isn't the definition of insanity and that isn't what it means.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... nsanity-is
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    Seahawk_Dan wrote:

:34853_doh:

You're being stubborn if you think you can repeat your objections over and over again and get a different result ;)
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• bmorepunk wrote:No, the meaning is still terrible, especially when attributed to a scientist.

When you take measurements in a scientific process, you almost always get different results. That's what statistical distributions and the whole 95% confidence interval thing are for. But you do the same thing over and over.

When I estimate how long it will take to drive across town? Always different results. Light timing and the existence of other cars and the behavior of the drivers would never allow for the same result.

Baseball players throw and swing at the same kinds of pitches constantly. All sorts of different results.

Football players do many of the same things over and over again. Different results.

Chapow wrote::34853_doh:

Yes on a scientific and definition stand point the quote is not only attributed to the wrong person, as I stated in my post, but the phrase itself is colloquial. Used so many times that it either lost it's original meaning or spawned a new one all together. However when someone says the phrase you understand the general meaning of what they're saying, despite being incorrect on a technical level when you look into it.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

• New Rule:

If you go 5 wide on 3rd and 2, you should be shot.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• Or at least tickled.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• bmorepunk wrote:Or at least tickled.

A fate worse than death really.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Seahawk_Dan wrote:
    bmorepunk wrote:No, the meaning is still terrible, especially when attributed to a scientist.

Yes on a scientific and definition stand point the quote is not only attributed to the wrong person, as I stated in my post, but the phrase itself is colloquial. Used so many times that it either lost it's original meaning or spawned a new one all together. However when someone says the phrase you understand the general meaning of what they're saying, despite being incorrect on a technical level when you look into it.

This is a reasonable, intelligent, and well stated response.

The only possible explanation is you must be messing with me somehow.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    Seahawk_Dan wrote:
    bmorepunk wrote:No, the meaning is still terrible, especially when attributed to a scientist.

This is a reasonable, intelligent, and well stated response.

The only possible explanation is you must be messing with me somehow.

I assure you I'm not messing with you. Lol. Just stating that yes, both you and bmore are correct by definition but that the quote is a turn of phrase.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

• Seahawk_Dan wrote:

It was created by an author in some book written in, I think in 83', that used the term towards alcoholism. I have know idea how this saying has been attributed to Einstein.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• 2 years is just abysmal and sums up many of the O philosophy issues. It would be nice if Pete for once just thew caution to the wind and came out with hurry-up or a run 'n shoot style to change the pace, get the tempo going immediately and shock the opposing defense.

After 2 years, try something-anything different!
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• seahawkfreak wrote:
    Seahawk_Dan wrote:

It was created by an author in some book written in, I think in 83', that used the term towards alcoholism. I have know idea how this saying has been attributed to Einstein.

That makes it more appropriate. Pete is addicted to a particular style of crappy offense that used to give him a buzz after two series, but the effects of repeated indulgence, building up tolerance, opponents figuring it out, now it takes a full six pack or even half case of series to feel the same buzz he used to get from just two series.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• Mike Lombardi said you know you have a bad offensive coordinator when there first 15 scripted plays don't work. It is the easiest part of the game for a coordinator. These are the plays you practice the most. You know how defenses are going to react to your formations based on how they have done in the past. You know the weaknesses of the defenses and where to attack. Our last 2 coordinators have been jokes. We just run plays and hope they work. Without any true idea on where we want to attack. You know this because after the game they always say what they should have done. We don't have any unique motion or formations to make these plays work better. For years the only thing we could do is playground football. It has gotten very tiring.
    ojosdelgato
    NET Bench Warmer

• seahawkfreak wrote:
    Seahawk_Dan wrote:

"Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results
    Albert Einstein? Narcotics Anonymous? Max Nordau? George Bernard Shaw? George A. Kelly? Rita Mae Brown? John Larroquette? Jessie Potter? Werner Erhard?"

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/23/same/
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:I heard that the other day yet I could have sworn that we finally broke that pathetic record (an all time NFL record) around game 28 (total) last year? Not sure which game, but a swear it ended??

edit...hmmm could have been a TD kick return I thought ended it??

Tyler Lockett returned the first kickoff for a TD in week 17 last season.
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran

• I would like to see the percentage of opening drives for the Hawks that have gone 3 and out vs the NFL average.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

• The length of this streak tells me something very clearly.

Scoring on offense is not important to Pete.

It clearly cannot be the primary goal or you would at least hit it, even a few times, just given the sample size.

It also shows the priority that Pete puts on offense itself.

It is actually weird given the value that Pete puts on emotional impact and perception of value. Since scoring early sets a tone, you would expect (hope?) that we would push for this. We not only do not seem to push for this, but we also seem to dismiss it.

This lines up with the beginning of the game is not important implied messaging throughout so much of his coaching though.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• CAN YOU WIN THE GAME IN THE FIRST QUARTER?!!
    irfuben32
    NET Rookie

• It's not all on Pete or the coordinator, IMO it's more about Russell.

For all that Russell is great at, and there's a lot...........unfortunately he's not a robot pocket passer like Brady or any other tall methodical pocket passer.

Russell is a tempo/rhythm/confidence building type of QB that needs to get into rhythm and tempo in order to get going.........and that's killed us for entire 1st quarters and halves.

How many times have you said "man Russell looks off" at the beginning of games? Like EVERY game? It's not until the end of the half or even into the 2nd half that Russell finally looks in rhythm.

I have no idea how to fix that, and obviously neither does Pete and his staff, cause it hasn't been fixed in Russell's entire career here.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:It's not all on Pete or the coordinator, IMO it's more about Russell.

For all that Russell is great at, and there's a lot...........unfortunately he's not a robot pocket passer like Brady or any other tall methodical pocket passer.

Russell is a tempo/rhythm/confidence building type of QB that needs to get into rhythm and tempo in order to get going.........and that's killed us for entire 1st quarters and halves.

How many times have you said "man Russell looks off" at the beginning of games? Like EVERY game? It's not until the end of the half or even into the 2nd half that Russell finally looks in rhythm.

I have no idea how to fix that, and obviously neither does Pete and his staff, cause it hasn't been fixed in Russell's entire career here.

A way to attempt to fix (fix is even too strong of a word here, attempt to mitigate might be better) it isn't seemingly on the table by dogmatic adherence to a tactical philosophy and a diminished coaching input - yes, no huddle, but not hurry up (let the clock run, ezpz), audible heavy opening drives. This gets RW engaged and focused right off the bat and helps the offensive staff see how the teams react to that situation. Not allowing subs for the defense and locking them into the base package they can exploit with a handful of potential plays. It would also keep the defense guessing from the get go because at this point, most defenses are probably not expecting that out of the Hawks the first drive at all. And on subsequent drives they might try and prepare for seeing that again with a different base package that is open to exploit.

But hey, if the Hawks don't really practice this mode of offense, it's probably not going to approach a fix.

I think doing it this way would also be a morale boost to some extent for all the offensive players although (hey, we're actually playing with some fire rather than doing flaccid crap to get a 3 and out), I bet Pete would hate it working well because it would undermine what he thinks is the best way to win, despite you know, it seemingly not being such at this point.

I would love to see an offense operate on this principle of catching the defense in a specific personnel package and then just hammering the hell out of the weakness of that package until a busted down allows for a huddle again. But again, like I've said too many times - you don't practice that, it probably won't be great.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:It's not all on Pete or the coordinator, IMO it's more about Russell.

I respect your opinion but I find this totally hard to believe

IMO, to believe what you're saying, we would all have to believe that 31 other teams in the league, with Quarterbacks far worse than Russell can manage opening drives. It seems far more plausible that this is game plan and coaching/playcalling. After all, it's not like we've seen Russ with anyone other than Pete

Is it possible? Sure. But I'm willing to guess that if Russell played for another team we'd see a different story
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• Or, more likely, both are a problem.
    Vpk0718
    NET Veteran

• Scorpion05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:It's not all on Pete or the coordinator, IMO it's more about Russell.

IMO, to believe what you're saying, we would all have to believe that 31 other teams in the league, with Quarterbacks far worse than Russell can manage opening drives. It seems far more plausible that this is game plan and coaching/playcalling. After all, it's not like we've seen Russ with anyone other than Pete

Is it possible? Sure. But I'm willing to guess that if Russell played for another team we'd see a different story

You mean the other 20-25 teams with a revolving door of QB every year because they're going through the same inconsistently to downright awful QB play?

That's why there's only a handful of "elite" QB's that can deliver those opening drive TD's on a regular basis, everyone else is in the same boat we are. I'm trying to explain WHY we're in that boat.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Start the game with a 4-minute offense. Include some read option. Some scripted plays. Spread the ball around. Anything but what they've been doing.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• Sometimes I think the coaching has regressed RW to TJack and the sad thing is, IMO, it is on purpose. Not the suckiness but the QB style.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:It's not all on Pete or the coordinator, IMO it's more about Russell.

You mean the other 20-25 teams with a revolving door of QB every year because they're going through the same inconsistently to downright awful QB play?

That's why there's only a handful of "elite" QB's that can deliver those opening drive TD's on a regular basis, everyone else is in the same boat we are. I'm trying to explain WHY we're in that boat.

Who else is in the same boat we are regarding the TD-less opening drive streak? Or more generally the impotent offensive start to games?
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

• This is silly, you dont win in the first quarter. This is even more silly because Seahawks has the second best record since Wilson arrived.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

• Just to add more to this silliness, we actually had an opening drive td in 2017 against Falcons in the playoffs. Guess what we lost.

Also when we won our Superbowl in 2013 we only had 1 opening drive td.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Every Quarterback needs to get into a tempo, even Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers. Holmgren always talked about tempo, rhythm and its importance in Quarterback play/offensive production.

In Pete Carroll's offense there is no chance for the passer to get in a rhythm. As someone said here earlier, he skips the foreplay and goes for the big plays right off the bat. This leaves the Quarterback no chance to get in a proper rhythm or get a proper feel for the game.

Pete Carroll's offense makes no sense from a modern NFL prospective. It was an offensive ideology that died in the 80s. It makes sense, because this is when Carroll was learning how to coach. He grew up as a player, and then as a coach in these types of systems. My main gripe about this system is that you can run an offense that airs it out, but also can attack defense underneath. Good examples of this are the Shannahan father/son west coast system. There are modern iterations of the Air Coryell system that do this as well. Within the context of the Seahawks we run a more varied offense in the 4th quarter of games. More uptempo with a bigger variety of routes.

Carroll really needs to take his hands completely off of the offense and leave it in Schottenheimer's and Wilson's hands. Carroll is dragging his team down with his offensive philosophy.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• Blame me.

I have a massive venting thread in the Shack posted that day when Seattle ran through the Niners defense like a hot knife through butter.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• ojosdelgato wrote:Mike Lombardi said you know you have a bad offensive coordinator when there first 15 scripted plays don't work. It is the easiest part of the game for a coordinator. These are the plays you practice the most. You know how defenses are going to react to your formations based on how they have done in the past. You know the weaknesses of the defenses and where to attack. Our last 2 coordinators have been jokes. We just run plays and hope they work. Without any true idea on where we want to attack. You know this because after the game they always say what they should have done. We don't have any unique motion or formations to make these plays work better. For years the only thing we could do is playground football. It has gotten very tiring.

So true.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Yay, people can finally stop crying about this!
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• The unicorn of seahawks football
    World champs sb48

Aros wrote:

Wait, MizzouHawkGal is a DUDE??
    hawksincebirth
    NET Veteran

• Awesome, finally. Classic Pete ball though. He’s okay with scoring early but he doesn’t want high risk throws early to accomplish that feat. Now that our running game is back, the offense breaks the streak
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• Didn't happen in the US so it doesn't count.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:24 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information