New Coordinators Ken Norton Jr.+, Brian Schottenheimer-

D

DomeHawk

It was remarkable to see what Ken Norton did with that banged up defense. Schottenheimer just the opposite, I knew it from the day we hired him.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Pete and Ken are doing a great job with an undermanned unit.

Pete and Brian are stinking up a potentially strong unit. Somehow the concept of taking away what the other team does well doesn't sit well with our philosophy. We keep going into these games against great defensive players and letting them ruin our offense for 3 quarters. Other teams learn how to take one player out of a game. Not us.

Anyway, I hope its growing pains. Really hope so.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
We haven't faced a good quarterback yet. I would caution against the idea that this defense is succeeding in any meaningful way. They can handle Keenum and Trubisky, but get them into a marquee matchup against an elite QB with the defensive line playing as poorly as they are, and they might have their asses fed to them. Hard to tell yet.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

MontanaHawk05":wlfc3keb said:
We haven't faced a good quarterback yet. I would caution against the idea that this defense is succeeding in any meaningful way. They can handle Keenum and Trubisky, but get them into a marquee matchup against an elite QB with the defensive line playing as poorly as they are, and they might have their asses fed to them. Hard to tell yet.

Good point, we'll see.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":28zoiq40 said:

This may be true but I am not buying the degradation of Keenum and Trubisky. Keenum had a great year last year and has brought his team to 2-0 season so far. Anyone that cannot see the talent Trubisky has is playing video games on their computer while watching the game. He will be a successful QB in the NFL, just a lot of rough edges to sand out and it looks like he has coach that can mentor him.

I'm hoping PC has had a couple of sleepless nights and has had a come to reality moment. Never heard him take blame for offensive production until this past game so hopefully we can progress. As horrible as the past two games have been and with all the injuries on defense I am surprised we haven't gotten blown out. Yet we were still in both games. Sunlight hasn't darkened yet. Really liking what our defense is doing.

Steve2222

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":20wgybw0 said:
MontanaHawk05":20wgybw0 said:

This may be true but I am not buying the degradation of Keenum and Trubisky. Keenum had a great year last year and has brought his team to 2-0 season so far. Anyone that cannot see the talent Trubisky has is playing video games on their computer while watching the game. He will be a successful QB in the NFL, just a lot of rough edges to sand out and it looks like he has coach that can mentor him.

I'm hoping PC has had a couple of sleepless nights and has had a come to reality moment. Never heard him take blame for offensive production until this past game so hopefully we can progress. As horrible as the past two games have been and with all the injuries on defense I am surprised we haven't gotten blown out. Yet we were still in both games. Sunlight hasn't darkened yet. Really liking what our defense is doing.

I’ll give you Keenum. He’s Alex Smith Light. Trubisky on the other hand will be a journeyman backup QB in a few years then doing analysis on NFL Total Access in about 8 years.

Jville

Reaction score
H3Fid3DOIPG1avHtG9RGrHnGyKmLDJcwHaEx26pid3D15
That didn't take long................... [tweet]https://twitter.com/FireSchotty1/status/1042240924980469765[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/stipp75/status/1042270404952244224[/tweet]

NYCoug

Reaction score
Bevell doesn't get the last laugh for people wanting Schottenheimer fired, no, he gets the last laugh for somehow still being employed by the Seahawks from 2015-2017. Let's make no mistake, he definitely deserved the axe if 'Always Compete' is even a real thing anymore. Schotty will deserve the axe immediately after this season if this keeps up, as well.

Norton did a great job against Chicago. I loved that we actually adapted in-game and started blitzing more once we realized that our front 4 is one of the worst in the league at generating a pass rush.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Even if Schott is worse than Bevell that doesn't mean Bevell wasn't bad himself. I'm starting to think Pete had as much to do with Bevell's shortcomings as Bevell did though after watching Wilson get pissed off after the timeout when he tried to audible two plays in a row.

On Schott. 1. Huard who is always positive and never trashes coaches said it was essentially one of the worst OC play calling games he's ever seen, it was that bad. Coming from Huard that tells me something. 2. Some guy on twitter(who may be a member here? no clue) has charted every Schott play during his play calling career and can tell you where the play is going with a 90% success rate because his offense tips it with formation and protection calls pre-snap. If a random guy on twitter can do that what do you think your average NFL defensive coach can do? Schott was a terrible hire and its on Pete.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
austinslater25":38wsro9i said:
Even if Schott is worse than Bevell that doesn't mean Bevell wasn't bad himself.

That is true. But there were fans stating that a rock couldn't be worse than Bevell. Some of us more reasoned fans were trying to bring that exact point up. Bevell may be inadequate but he's not the only inadequate coordinator out there so be careful what you wish for.

The odds of getting someone worse or equal to Bevell is pretty high given most really good coordinators get hired as head coaches. You either hire someone that has failed elsewhere before (Schotty) or you gamble on an unknown quantity and promote a QB coach from an offensive system. Always a risk.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It amazes me that people can look at Shoddy's record and come to any conclusion that gets them to expect reasonable results.

His entire career was mediocre production.

Some of you extrapolated wildly different production but he was not even a good enough coordinator to beat college defenses.

If you need people to make excuses for why you didn't produce, then you don't have a record of production.

We needed someone with a record of production.

Norton is looking spotty too. Crappy vs Denver. Decent against the Bears but then their QB was missing open guys all night. I know he sucked on the Raiders when he had Mack and Irvin. I wouldn't get too excited about him either but he did OK against the Bears.

Even top 15 defense is a stretch though. Once we start facing decent QBs I would like to see what the #s look like. Right now, there is nothing telling either way - just his track record in Oakland to fall back on.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
What is it really that you want from Norton. The bears had 10 minutes more of ball and they kept it close letting a pick 6 decide the game.

If we stop celebrating first downs like other teams celebrate touchdowns and we still lose, them say something about Norton. Until then direct the vitriol where it belongs, Offense.

As far as beville goes. Get real. He was not Superman with Pete’s thumb on him. He sucked in context of these players. And as far as Pete holding a brother down all I’ll say is no one fires a winner so if schot or db follow or followed Pete blindly into losing records then they aren’t fit to be DCs in the first place. Bevill is as unemployed now with a Super Bowl and his record then he would have been being fired for disregarding Pete’s direction.

The team is rebuilding. It’s going to lose. We had some good things on the field this week in spite of the overall offense. But maybe with enough pressure the fans and press will challenge the organization to improve at all levels.

TwistedHusky":3a7o5fl1 said:
It amazes me that people can look at Shoddy's record and come to any conclusion that gets them to expect reasonable results.

His entire career was mediocre production.

Some of you extrapolated wildly different production but he was not even a good enough coordinator to beat college defenses.

If you need people to make excuses for why you didn't produce, then you don't have a record of production.

We needed someone with a record of production.

Norton is looking spotty too. Crappy vs Denver. Decent against the Bears but then their QB was missing open guys all night. I know he sucked on the Raiders when he had Mack and Irvin. I wouldn't get too excited about him either but he did OK against the Bears.

Even top 15 defense is a stretch though. Once we start facing decent QBs I would like to see what the #s look like. Right now, there is nothing telling either way - just his track record in Oakland to fall back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SeahawksMachine/status/1042213470140289025[/tweet]

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You have 2 guys that both have fairly reasonable length track records, enough to get a pretty clear understanding of how this will work out.

So we know exactly what we are going to get. We don't 'need more time'.

People produce how they have produced.

More time will validate it, but the reasonable expectations are pretty clear.

If you expect otherwise, well that is on you.