Russell Wilson as a "Pocket Passer"

D

DomeHawk

The new offensive coordinator who some of you have called Bevell-Lite lol, has spoken about trying to keep Russ in the pocket longer.

Well guess what?

NOT WORKING!!!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1yfokxra said:
The new offensive coordinator who some of you have called Bevell-Lite lol, has spoken about trying to keep Russ in the pocket longer.

Well guess what?

NOT WORKING!!!
I have no issues with trying to make Russell Wilson try to stick to the pocket more. It will be good for his career, and development as a QB. My issue is, if you make Wilson play in the pocket you CAN'T KEEP CALLING NOTHING BUT DEEP PASSES! If you look at EVERY other offense in the NFL, they run a lot of short passes. In fact, short passes are the bulk of their offense, and they function almost as an extended handoff running game. You can use the short passes to make defenses crowd the LOS and try to commit to stopping it. If they sell out, then you call a long pass and take the top off of the defense. This is exactly how Mike Holmgren used to work the short game with Matt Hasselbeck.

Pete Carroll is like a 13 year old playing madden.

Seymour

Reaction score
I bought a sledge hammer at Home Depot last week and got home and used it to cut my watermelon.

Sledge hammers suck!!

Llagher sledge o matic 640 426 s c1 center top 0 0

djb28

Reaction score
Sounds great. Now we just need some guys that are able to create that pocket. I cant believe we are still looking at this same terrible O line. Year in and year out.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

djb28":3gavdhhq said:
Sounds great. Now we just need some guys that are able to create that pocket. I cant believe we are still looking at this same terrible O line. Year in and year out.

But until we do.......

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
djb28":28ix89gm said:

I think the staff needs a hard reset. Switching out a few assistant coaches and some coordinators who are only gonna do exactly what their predecessors do gets you no where. It's at a point that all the problems are coming from the top and it has to be purged so that it doesn't effect the younger guys.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The stats show that Russell can throw from the pocket, his completion percentage and accuracy is very high in the pocket.

It's Pete that keep confusing everyone game to game, and series to series as to what he wants the offense to be. Before the game and even prior to the season he didn't shut about getting back to the run game to open up play action, of which Russell is also very good at.

So all through camp and the off season of coach and player acquisitions (getting Fluker, Marshall and Ed Dickson, drafting Dissly, getting Solari and Schottenheimer as run game coordinators, etc)........and using a valuable first round pick on Penny.

Then first two games? Pocket passing, pocket passing and more pocket passing. Or in Russell's case, pocket sacking and more pocket sacking.

Well you sure as hell can't coach and coach your players to be one thing, then turn on a dime and do something they're not equipped to do very well.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":1t7j9qyj said:
The stats show that Russell can throw from the pocket, his completion percentage and accuracy is very high in the pocket.

It's Pete that keep confusing everyone game to game, and series to series as to what he wants the offense to be. Before the game and even prior to the season he didn't shut about getting back to the run game to open up play action, of which Russell is also very good at.

So all through camp and the off season of coach and player acquisitions (getting Fluker, Marshall and Ed Dickson, drafting Dissly, getting Solari and Schottenheimer as run game coordinators, etc)........and using a valuable first round pick on Penny.

Then first two games? Pocket passing, pocket passing and more pocket passing. Or in Russell's case, pocket sacking and more pocket sacking.

Well you sure as hell can't coach and coach your players to be one thing, then turn on a dime and do something they're not equipped to do very well.

Point taken, good post.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":2jf23bea said:
djb28":2jf23bea said:

I think the staff needs a hard reset. Switching out a few assistant coaches and some coordinators who are only gonna do exactly what their predecessors do gets you no where. It's at a point that all the problems are coming from the top and it has to be purged so that it doesn't effect the younger guys.

If replacing your OC and DC and OL coach is not a hard reset , what is ?

Not criticizing at all, just honest question. The only harder reset is to reboot without Pete.

I’m ready to give it some time.

We lost by one score on th road without our starting linebackers, maybe we the reset we need is a home game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":mp9eidut said:
djb28":mp9eidut said:

As I stated earlier, firing coaches and/or coordinators mid season, and ESPECIALLY early in the season is what knee jerk loser owners and organizations do.

We aren't that. Maybe Pete isn't the right person moving forward, or our current coordinators.............but you NEVER, and I mean NEVER wanna be one of the stink of death franchises like the Bills and Browns with constant coach and coordinator turnover.

Why? Cause what coordinator or coach worth anything wants to work for an organization like that? They want time to install their schemes and playbooks, and find the right mix of personnel to make it work. That sure as hell isn't one training camp and two games.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
rjdriver":2gcqrhq9 said:
Seahawk_Dan":2gcqrhq9 said:
djb28":2gcqrhq9 said:

If replacing your OC and DC and OL coach is not a hard reset , what is ?

Not criticizing at all, just honest question. The only harder reset is to reboot without Pete.

I’m ready to give it some time.

We lost by one score on th road without our starting linebackers, maybe we the reset we need is a home game.

That's precisely what I meant, moving on without Pete. I love the guy. Seems like the kinda guy that'd give you sound life advice at the end of a Disney movie, but that being said the common factor in most of the Seahawks woes is him. Had I not known that Bevell, Cable, and Richards was gone I wouldn't even see any type of difference because Pete is sticking his fingers in all the pies. Yes, he's the HC and that's kinda his job but as an HC he needs to let his subordinates do their jobs and not just micromanage them.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3l7w1svn said:
Seahawk_Dan":3l7w1svn said:
djb28":3l7w1svn said:

As I stated earlier, firing coaches and/or coordinators mid season, and ESPECIALLY early in the season is what knee jerk loser owners and organizations do.

We aren't that. Maybe Pete isn't the right person moving forward, or our current coordinators.............but you NEVER, and I mean NEVER wanna be one of the stink of death franchises like the Bills and Browns with constant coach and coordinator turnover.

Why? Cause what coordinator or coach worth anything wants to work for an organization like that? They want time to install their schemes and playbooks, and find the right mix of personnel to make it work. That sure as hell isn't one training camp and two games.

I wouldn't have him fired now or mid season. I'm just saying in general it's probably time for him to hit the dusty trail. Sure, let him finish out the season as the man deserves that much but I think the team needs a face lift.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":3rn1iuu5 said:
I wouldn't have him fired now or mid season. I'm just saying in general it's probably time for him to hit the dusty trail. Sure, let him finish out the season as the man deserves that much but I think the team needs a face lift.

If we see 14 more games of the nonsense we've seen so far? I agree, I'd be open to Pete leaving after this year.

But let's remember opening up on the road in two tough places to play against fully healthy teams when we're a MASH unit right now and still being one score away from winning or tying at the end of each game isn't the end of the world, albeit against mediocre teams.

So I'm willing to see if Pete can improve as the season goes along to warrant keeping him next year or not.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20hueq8y said:
Seahawk_Dan":20hueq8y said:

If we see 14 more games of the nonsense we've seen so far? I agree, I'd be open to Pete leaving after this year.

But let's remember opening up on the road in two tough places to play against fully healthy teams when we're a MASH unit right now and still being one score away from winning or tying at the end of each game isn't the end of the world, albeit against mediocre teams.

So I'm willing to see if Pete can improve as the season goes along to warrant keeping him next year or not.

The way I see it, it'll come down to three possible choices.

If Seattle finishes with 10+ Wins and a Playoff Spot, Pete is safe. Paul will have no reason to ditch him because he produced.

If Seattle finishes between 7-9 wins then at that point it's 50/50. Either Paul cuts his ties/Pete walks away, or he's given another season given all the changes that has happened in the past year.

If Seattle finishes below 6 wins then I think he's just gone and Paul looks for a new HC.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":2za03cvx said:
Sgt. Largent":2za03cvx said:
Seahawk_Dan":2za03cvx said:

The way I see it, it'll come down to three possible choices.

If Seattle finishes with 10+ Wins and a Playoff Spot, Pete is safe. Paul will have no reason to ditch him because he produced.

If Seattle finishes between 7-9 wins then at that point it's 50/50. Either Paul cuts his ties/Pete walks away, or he's given another season given all the changes that has happened in the past year.

If Seattle finishes below 6 wins then I think he's just gone and Paul looks for a new HC.

Then you had much higher win expectations than me before the season started. I never thought we were a 10 win team, with how thin this roster is, especially on the defensive side. Which ironically played better than the offense yesterday. But IMO that was more due to how bad Trubisky and the Bears offense is, rather than our defense is good.

This is about as close as you can get to a complete rebuild, other than Russell you're talking every position group needing major talent additions, experience and depth. That usually spells 6-10 to 8-8 territory.........and that's IF your so-called "elite" QB plays like one, and he's not.

So could get ugly my friend if the wheels continue to fall off.

daveman918

Reaction score
Wilson has to learn how to use a pocket when it is there too. He has a major tendency to go backwards vs. step up!

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
If there going to keep him in the pocket they need to draft a monster center. To much pressure in his face this will never work with Britt .

xray

Reaction score
He is 5'-10". He's got giant humans in front and all around him..he can't see from there. He has always had trouble pulling the trigger because of this . If the offensive scheme is to make him a pocket passer then ...well we are seeing the results of that now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
His career numbers and win totals tell a much different story. One of the winningest QB's in history over his 6 first seasons. But wait, that must be only because of the Defense and Lynch. :roll:

mrt144

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":s1qvzh0l said:
DomeHawk":s1qvzh0l said:

Well guess what?

NOT WORKING!!!
I have no issues with trying to make Russell Wilson try to stick to the pocket more. It will be good for his career, and development as a QB. My issue is, if you make Wilson play in the pocket you CAN'T KEEP CALLING NOTHING BUT DEEP PASSES! If you look at EVERY other offense in the NFL, they run a lot of short passes. In fact, short passes are the bulk of their offense, and they function almost as an extended handoff running game. You can use the short passes to make defenses crowd the LOS and try to commit to stopping it. If they sell out, then you call a long pass and take the top off of the defense. This is exactly how Mike Holmgren used to work the short game with Matt Hasselbeck.

Pete Carroll is like a 13 year old playing madden.

Part of me would love to see RW have a career where he develops into some platonic ideal of a QB.

I'd rather take the wins now than worry about how 37 year old RW plays.