Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Great to see Penny get work

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Great to see Penny get work
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:01 am
  • Was really happy to see him get work. People need to remember he missed most the preseason. Can’t wait to see him hopefully get the full load this week.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Re: Great to see Penny get work
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:04 am
  • Yea, it was good to get a better look at him. It's a process.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 am
  • But wait, according to many, he was a fat bust after one game in the NFL :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:03 am
  • ImTheScientist wrote:Was really happy to see him get work. People need to remember he missed most the preseason. Can’t wait to see him hopefully get the full load this week.

Was it??

Carson through 2 games 5.8 YPC.
    Penny though 2 games 2.2 YPC.

If you do not believe in always compete....then yes this is a good thing to get Penny reps while taking losses doing it. :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:05 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:But wait, according to many, he was a fat bust after one game in the NFL :lol:

He looks like a fat bust.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:05 am
  • Yes, he earned all those carries over Carson under Always Compete
    quadsas
    NET Starter

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:09 am
  • It's a team sport and a 17 week marathon.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:16 am
  • Jville wrote:It's a team sport and a 17 week marathon.

Carson did not touch the ball again after part way into the 2nd quarter.

How is that a team sport when Pete just announced he earned the #1 reps job?

Crap excuses is what I'm hearing. :141847_bnono:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:24 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:It's a team sport and a 17 week marathon.

Carson did not touch the ball again after part way into the 2nd quarter.

How is that a team sport when Pete just announced he earned the #1 reps job?

Crap excuses is what I'm hearing. :141847_bnono:

Perhaps your hearing what you want to hear and dismissing/censoring what you don't want to hear. :229031_shrug:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 am
  • 2 games and he's a bust. Geezus.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:36 am
  • Pete explained why Penny got more carries. Due to injuries, they had to use Carson on special teams. Carson was gassed having to play more on ST so to give him a break they went with Penny. Seems plausible to me.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:37 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:2 games and he's a bust. Geezus.

I'm not calling bust! I'm saying give Carson the bulk of the carries and don't pull him for the game in the 2nd quarter!! You see Penny on the pass up the middle just watch it go by? Penny can get some reps here and there, but it should be near 2 to 1 to Carson and Carson earned the bulk of the 4th Q reps.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Pete explained why Penny got more carries. Due to injuries, they had to use Carson on special teams. Carson was gassed having to play more on ST so to give him a break they went with Penny. Seems plausible to me.

Carson played two snaps on special teams lol. Pete is flat out lying.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:40 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Pete explained why Penny got more carries. Due to injuries, they had to use Carson on special teams. Carson was gassed having to play more on ST so to give him a break they went with Penny. Seems plausible to me.

BS!
    Keep reading!! Pete is flippen lying! Carson got 2 reps on special teams!!

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:42 am
  • King Dog wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Pete explained why Penny got more carries. Due to injuries, they had to use Carson on special teams. Carson was gassed having to play more on ST so to give him a break they went with Penny. Seems plausible to me.

Carson played two snaps on special teams lol. Pete is flat out lying.

Yeah, Pete is full of shit on this one.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:46 am

Carson played on only 2 ST plays-less than what he had last week. It was a BS excuse by Pete.

Carson has earned the right to be given the chance to carry the load but Pete is determined to give his 1st round reach every opportunity for whatever reason.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:47 am
  • Penny got some nice yardage against a team playing prevent defense in the 4th quarter. Was nothing special.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:03 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Penny got some nice yardage against a team playing prevent defense in the 4th quarter. Was nothing special.

Agreed. He got a few garbage time yards and still looks like he has a long way to go to being a consistent contributor. Perhaps in time he could be an effective 3rd down back.

I find it odd though how Penny superfans and apologists will claim "he's just a rookie, it's only his 2nd game" etc but will quickly dismiss Carson in only his 6th game as "just average." Interesting.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:33 am
  • Ease in to Penny and let Carson pound the rock.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:42 am
  • Penny missed some big holes and goes down pretty easily. Looks about as dangerous as any back that could have been picked up as UN-drafted FA.
    canucklehead
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:45 am
  • To use a 1st round pick on a running back, he's got to be elite, not just okay...

I don't see elite, do you?

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:55 am

and facts proved this false

He played on special teams TWO PLAYS in the second half

TWO PLAYS

No this is about PC proving that Penny was a good pick because he probably pushed for him (speculation)
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:57 am

I had to set my house on fire to kill a spider.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:12 am
  • What's with all the name calling and misrepresentation? You guys are better than that.

How about posting a complete uncensored response 1:00 into post game Pete Carroll Press Conference >>> https://www.pscp.tv/Seahawks/1yoKMVapbyWGQ

Transcript on Chris Carson question ..........

Question: ... was Chris Carson hurt or did you just go in another direction?

Pete Carroll response: no ... he was a little gassed from working on special teams and helping us ... we had some guys out ... so he had to kinda double dip and really I wanted to see how we could do with Rashaad .... give him some playing time .... get him out there.
    Last edited by Jville on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am
  • He didn't deserve 5 touches in that half, much less all the action. Carson is such a better RB than him it's not even funny. Happy we drafted the next Christine Michael though, so hyped.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am
  • Jville wrote:What's with all the name calling and misrepresentation? You guys are better than that.

How about posting a complete uncensored response 1:00 into post game Pete Carroll Press Conference >>> https://www.pscp.tv/Seahawks/1yoKMVapbyWGQ

Question: on was Chris Carson hurt or did you just go in another direction?

Pete Carroll response: no ... he was a little gassed from working on special teams and helping us ... we had some guys out ... so he had to kinda double dipped and really I wanted to see how we could do with Rashaad .... give him some playing time .... get him out there.

Again - the information comes directly from PC but it was false in the sense that he played TWO plays on ST in second half

He was taken out in the 2nd quarter

Are you seriously believing that a professional football player has two plays in him for 2q+
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:23 am
  • mikeak wrote:
    Jville wrote:What's with all the name calling and misrepresentation? You guys are better than that.

Pete Carroll response: no ... he was a little gassed from working on special teams and helping us ... we had some guys out ... so he had to kinda double dipped and really I wanted to see how we could do with Rashaad .... give him some playing time .... get him out there.

Again - the information comes directly from PC but it was false in the sense that he played TWO plays on ST in second half

Are you seriously believing that a professional football player has two plays in him for 2q+

Opinions about game decisions are expected.

But, lets be accurate and complete about what another human being actually said.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:23 am
  • Carson subbed himself out on the first drive.

He either has an injury issue, a conditioning issue, or a mentality issue.

Can we stop pretending he's some sort of all-pro?
    Last edited by HawkFan72 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Language
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 am
  • drrew wrote:Carson subbed himself out on the first drive.

He either has an injury issue, a conditioning issue, or a mentality issue.

Can we stop pretending he's some sort of all-pro?

Boy Howdy! There are no all pro running backs in Seattle.

Just a bunch of guys challenged to put a running game together.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:29 am

Carson was in on 2 special teams plays.................2!!!! He cannot be gassed from 2 special teams plays.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:23 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:He didn't deserve 5 touches in that half, much less all the action. Carson is such a better RB than him it's not even funny. Happy we drafted the next Christine Michael though, so hyped.

Penny actually understands the game and is a much smarter cat than CMike. Bad comparison.
    I love Chris Carson's game but let's not pretend he is BeastMode II.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:24 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:He didn't deserve 5 touches in that half, much less all the action. Carson is such a better RB than him it's not even funny. Happy we drafted the next Christine Michael though, so hyped.

Penny actually understands the game and is a much smarter cat than CMike. Bad comparison.

Nobody is saying that he is beast mode two, we're saying that he is the much better back than Penny is at this point in time. There is no arguing that fact right now.

As for your point about Penny understanding the game and being smarter than CMike, I'm not so sure. He had issues learning the playbook and picking up things in the Senior Bowl practices from reports I read. Whenever he is on the field Wilson has to direct him and personally show him where to go. Was never psyched for this pick. As many have said out he looks like a first rounder version of Micheal Turbin.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:19 am
  • Jville wrote:
    mikeak wrote:
    Jville wrote:What's with all the name calling and misrepresentation? You guys are better than that.

Opinions about game decisions are expected.

But, lets be accurate and complete about what another human being actually said.

^Fake News. Ha! :irishdrinkers:
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:08 pm
  • I actually like Penny he is not quite in game shape. As well he needs to establish a playing weight he is comfortable with. I think getting Fluker back will help our running game. They see something in Penny he can be a game breaker while Carson can be our pound it back. There is room for both backs .
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:49 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    olyfan63 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:He didn't deserve 5 touches in that half, much less all the action. Carson is such a better RB than him it's not even funny. Happy we drafted the next Christine Michael though, so hyped.

Nobody is saying that he is beast mode two, we're saying that he is the much better back than Penny is at this point in time. There is no arguing that fact right now.

As for your point about Penny understanding the game and being smarter than CMike, I'm not so sure. He had issues learning the playbook and picking up things in the Senior Bowl practices from reports I read. Whenever he is on the field Wilson has to direct him and personally show him where to go. Was never psyched for this pick. As many have said out he looks like a first rounder version of Micheal Turbin.

You're comparing a rookie/college senior in a one game event to a multi-year veteran who STILL had difficulties with playbook basics? And based on hearsay?

Did you mean ROBERT Turbin? Or is that Christine Michael + Robert Turbin = Micheal Turbin? The back who doesn't know the play, and constantly gets tripped up by an extra-tall blade of grass at the line of scrimmage?

You're just in HATER mode on Penny without giving him a realistic chance. I liked what I saw from Penny against the Bears. Except on not stopping the pick 6 by coming to the ball.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:55 pm
  • dup post remove
    Last edited by olyfan63 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:23 pm
  • Instead of making a new thread, I'll just bump this one of that's ok.

Penny was a disappointment today. A huge factor of that would be limited work due to how great Carson was doing.

But he squandered the few opportunities he had. Fumbling that read option was bad, and I'm really concerned with where he's at right now.
    hawks85 wrote:Seattle played like crap today. It’s over 5-6.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:35 pm
  • He's a rook from a small school. Chill out.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:43 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:He's a rook from a small school. Chill out.

He's a first round pick who looks slow and confused, being outplayed by a 7th round pick in his second year.

My criticism lies more with the scouting department and front office for reaching on a player with their first round pick who looks like he doesn't belong on the field with the big boys.

So no, I will not chill out. I will take this very seriously. :sarcasm_off:
    hawks85 wrote:Seattle played like crap today. It’s over 5-6.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:52 pm
  • To me it looks like he's still learning that some of those jump moves along the LOS and etc don't work in the NFL. Eventually he'll get the message that it's one cut(if that) and up the field. Once he's in the open field make all the moves he needs.
    If he never gets a clue, he'll be out of the league.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:55 pm
  • TreeRon wrote:To me it looks like he's still learning that some of those jump moves along the LOS and etc don't work in the NFL. Eventually he'll get the message that it's one cut(if that) and up the field. Once he's in the open field make all the moves he needs.

A lot of these issues were obvious on film when Penny was chosen.

I feel he will be a much better player in his 2nd year. He has the size/speed combo that could make him a good player with time. Right now, Carson and Davis are both running the ball, blocking, breaking tackles more effectively.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:56 pm
  • TreeRon wrote:To me it looks like he's still learning that some of those jump moves along the LOS and etc don't work in the NFL. Eventually he'll get the message that it's one cut(if that) and up the field. Once he's in the open field make all the moves he needs.

This.

He's still developing game speed and learning that holes in the NFL are just smaller and don't stay open as long as in college.

Had hoped he'd 'get it' faster, but he did miss a lot of time in pre-season.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:57 pm
  • Obviously I’m excited for his potential. But it’s clear as day that Carson has outplayed him.

I’m sure the rook will get better once he adjusts to the NFL.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:03 pm
  • If Carson can stay healthy and keep producing, we'll be able to 'red shirt' Penny and use him very selectively as he comes up to NFL speed.

:fingers crossed:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:09 pm
  • Everything that Sutz said above. Carson was excellent today, especially on that 3rd and 12 run and the 5 yard TD run.
    I'm sure it helps having Fluker back too. Fluker is a beast at creating running lanes.

Penny shows flashes, but definitely there is a learning curve.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:18 pm
  • He just doesn’t look like an exciting RB. He doesn’t make anyone miss and doesn’t break tackles. Reminds me of Robert Turbin a little. It’s still very early and premature to think he won’t be good, I just don’t see a spark in his play. All his highlights from colllege were blown defenses where he is untouched for 70 yards.

Carson was running like a guy who wants the ball 20+ times a game. I’d like to maybe see Penny return a kick off sometime.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:25 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote:Everything that Sutz said above. Carson was excellent today, especially on that 3rd and 12 run and the 5 yard TD run.
    I'm sure it helps having Fluker back too. Fluker is a beast at creating running lanes.

Carson averaged 3.2 ypc.... on 32 carries. That’s not great.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:30 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:
    olyfan63 wrote:Everything that Sutz said above. Carson was excellent today, especially on that 3rd and 12 run and the 5 yard TD run.

Carson averaged 3.2 ypc.... on 32 carries. That’s not great.

Carson is averaging over 3.9 yards per carry on 45 carries. Running hard against stacked boxes.

What’s Penny averaging? :P
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:33 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:Instead of making a new thread, I'll just bump this one of that's ok.

Penny was a disappointment today. A huge factor of that would be limited work due to how great Carson was doing.

But he squandered the few opportunities he had. Fumbling that read option was bad, and I'm really concerned with where he's at right now.

I need to see someone get the ball 20+ times and get in the flow of the game to make that call.

Fact is Carson averaged 3.2 ypc on his chance and people feel that’s great. Now give the rook a game like that before we judge. People thinking 3.2ypc on 32 carries is good have lost their mind. People judging a rookie on 3 carries saying they are disappointed have lost their minds.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:40 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:Instead of making a new thread, I'll just bump this one of that's ok.

I need to see someone get the ball 20+ times and get in the flow of the game to make that call.

Fact is Carson averaged 3.2 ypc on his chance and people feel that’s great. Now give the rook a game like that before we judge. People thinking 3.2ypc on 32 carries is good have lost their mind. People judging a rookie on 3 carries saying they are disappointed have lost their minds.

Penny has 20 carries for 43 yards. Less than 2.2 yards per carry.

If they gave him 20+ carries in a game, we would lose that game.

He needs an off-season to improve.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information