Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Is it time to move on From Pete?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

Should this be Pete's last year?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes : 156

Is it time to move on From Pete?
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:01 pm
  • Honest question. I'd like to know the pulse of .net regarding Pete. With McVay, Shanahan, and possibly Will's stepping up the game in the division, is this team better off with some new blood at HC?
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Re: Is it time to move on From Pete?
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:04 pm
  • Yes, he is holding us back. He doesnt want to go with the times with the league.
    SkyHawks16
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:06 pm
  • He’s peaked... yes thanks for the bowl but gotta go
    World champs sb48

Aros wrote:

Wait, MizzouHawkGal is a DUDE??
    hawksincebirth
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:07 pm
  • Pete is a terrific defensive mind and head coach who needs to let go of the offense. Belichick did it with McDaniels and now he and Brady run the offense. Need to get a new scheme under a creative young play caller who works with Russell in the same way. I don’t want to move on from Pete but it’s inexcusable how horrible the offense is. It feels like the nfl figured it out 3 years ago and the only success is when Russell is off script, calling plays in a rhythm.
    Last edited by mistaowen on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:07 pm
  • It's time to at least start considering it. The OL problems have been known since 2015, and firing Bevell hasn't really seemed to help so far, but it is early. Blowing up the LOB in one year has had the predictable destablizing effects.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Starter

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 pm
  • Yes hate to see him draft with a top 5 pick.
    jdruaint
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:26 pm
  • Without question.
    In a cemetery full of Tomahawks.
    Givin’ middle fingers to the pigeons doing somersaults.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:41 pm
  • We've been on a downward trend since 2015. Pete Carroll got us a SuperBowl, and took us to another one, and I am very thankful for that. Unfortunately times have changed. That was then, this is now, and the Pete Carroll that exists in the now is incapable of taking us back to the promised land.

It has become quite apparent that the NFL has passed him by. He knew, played against and actively recruited many of the guys he drafted prior to 2012. When that group of players dried up, Pete lost his edge. Players saw an inconsistency between what he was preaching, and his actions. The locker room became divided, and many of the grizzled vets became jaded. Carroll continued to waste first round picks, and other high draft picks on players that either didn't fit the team, or were complete headcases. We're seeing a cacophony of errors, and gaffes by Pete and it doesn't seem to be stopping either. Individually they are small, but now they've added up and become insurmountable for the team to overcome.

In game coaching is another issue we're having with Pete. On offense specifically play calls are happening at really weird times, and we're not playing good situational football. He's giving guys playing time who don't deserve it, and his entire philosophy of "compete" is coming unraveled.

It's time we moved on from Pete. I'm thankful for what he's done, but he is finished, he has peaked. It is all downhill from here.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:44 pm
  • Pete will be allowed to "retire" at the end of the season but he is really getting fired. Pete will go back to college football and dominate again because his message will never get flat due to the 4-year player cycle.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:51 pm
  • Yes, unfortunately.

I became really worried during the off-season when they fired Bevell (good move) , but Pete stated they weren't changing the offense. Schotty actually had to learn Pete's Offense, not the other way around. (*cough* Yes man. *cough*) Pete stated during training camp that it is 75% still his offense & 25% Schotty's offense.

I stayed quiet during the off-season & pre-season on this matter, because I had to see what it looked like in regular season games first.

2 games is enough for me. You can't build a team around a franchise QB as a centerpiece, and have one of the most antiquated, simple, predictible schemes in the NFL. It's not 1979 anymore. Hell, it's not 2010 anymore. The teams that are currently having success in this league, are stealing from college, because the college game scheme wise (in certain areas that can tranlate to the NFL) is 10 yrs ahead of the NFL.

Teams around the league are looking at these things to get an advantage. Pete's response. Nope, we'll just keep doin' what we're doin', EVERY YEAR for a HALF DECADE. As the team erodes around the QB.

Defensively, Pete is a genius, but I have stated this several times over the years, he needs to let go of his ego and get a really talented mind to run the offense. So he can focus on the defense even more, and make that side even better. But he won't do it, Pete wants it his way, the hard headed SoB. So it is his fault in the end, he is the captain of the ship, and it is looking like the Titanic.

The Pete Carroll era ended 4 years ago. It's been 9 years total. He had a good run, but it's time. I don't see the turnaround coming... ever. Just the same problems reoccurring every year until change is made.
    Last edited by Fade on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:57 pm
  • With the caveat that it's only been two games, at the end of the season it may need to be considered.

The optimist would say this is a rebuilding year and if Pete could build a team up from scratch once before, he can do it again and deserves another few years to do so.

The pessimist would say this seems more like a slow decline than much of a true rebuild. If the young players this year form a future core we could look back at this season as a valuable & necessary rebuilding year. On the other hand, if most of this team is out of the league in a few seasons, it will be looked back on as simply a bad team.

I'm not sure if it's the lack of high-end prospects or success so far, but it just doesn't feel to me like much of a rebuild. And at some point we may need to consider if we're rebuilding or just spinning our wheels.

Or we could go 14-0 the rest of the season and it's a moot point ...
    SeahawksCanuck
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:00 pm
  • I don't like Schneider giving away our draft picks. If we're gonna be a crappy team, the silver lining should be draft picks.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:09 pm
  • King Dog wrote:I don't like Schneider giving away our draft picks. If we're gonna be a crappy team, the silver lining should be draft picks.

Was that Schneider or Pete? Pete has final say on all trades, draft picks, and Free Agency.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:38 am
  • Best and worst coach we ever had.
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:57 am
  • Pete sometimes becomes impatient. He loves to see explosive plays out of the explosive players he prefers on the field. That toxic ration is important to him. Early on he will often push to hard and to soon for results. We have seen this before from him. He'll adjust. It's only September.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:10 am
  • Yep. Seattle needs to get with the times and hire a hotshot, up and coming young creative offensive mind. Perefably from the Andy Reid coaching tree.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:40 am
  • I really, really, REALLY want a reporter to ask Pete why he chooses to hold on to his "Go BIG or Go HOME" offensive philosophy, even though it is painfully obvious that we don't have the personnel on the line and quite frankly, in the receiving corps.

He's damn near becoming a Sadomasochist when it comes to this offense. Almost as if he enjoys "EXPLOSIVE PLAYS"--and to a larger degree--defence SOOOOOO much, that he gets anxious and uncomfortable when the D aren't on the field.
    &HONESTLY, at his age, this might just be a strange fetish he's suppressing. Lord KNOWS we've heard about worse shit that folk 'get into' the older they get. It's like he is afraid of the offense taking any significant 'time' away from his defense by being productive and converting 3rd down plays.

Whatever the f-word it is, Paul needs to find a way to get the guy because we now have MORE than enough evidence that Pete has some form of OCD that's holding this team back. And it's driving me up the damn wall! :34853_doh:
    In a cemetery full of Tomahawks.
    Givin’ middle fingers to the pigeons doing somersaults.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:48 am
  • Fade wrote:
    King Dog wrote:I don't like Schneider giving away our draft picks. If we're gonna be a crappy team, the silver lining should be draft picks.

Was that Schneider or Pete? Pete has final say on all trades, draft picks, and Free Agency.

Fade you've been killing it lately. Anyway I agree, I think Pete has probably been too involved in the team building process. I would be ok with Pete going and seeing what Schneider can do on his own, there was a reason he was the most sought after GM in the league.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:00 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:
    Fade wrote:
    King Dog wrote:I don't like Schneider giving away our draft picks. If we're gonna be a crappy team, the silver lining should be draft picks.

Fade you've been killing it lately. Anyway I agree, I think Pete has probably been too involved in the team building process. I would be ok with Pete going and seeing what Schneider can do on his own, there was a reason he was the most sought after GM in the league.

They say that In fantasy football one can be their own draft king.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:24 am
  • That's sort of what I consider myself to be honest.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:39 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:That's sort of what I consider myself to be honest.

That's cool.

I do think that when Paul Allen moved on from the Mike Holmgren era he insisted on a head coach + general manager tandem. Owners thru out the league have migrated to that type of organizational partnership. It's structure is prevalent in all 4 NFC West teams. Outside of an indulging owner here and there, one man shows have become scarce. Even Jerry Jones was persuaded to give up his one man show.
    Last edited by Jville on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:49 am
  • Wow. Two road losses and the screaming Mimis are out in full force, demanding the coach's head on a platter. What a surprise.
    Tusc2000
    NET Rookie

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 am
  • To be determined. I’d like to see how the rest of this season plays out. They have clearly been on a downward spiral since SB49. It’s been frustrating as hell seeing them get a little bit worse each year since. If they don’t look like are FINALLY starting to move in the right direction by season’s end, it might be time to do something drastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:09 am
  • I quit believing in Pete last year.

Pete is a defensive minded coach faced with a roster where all his advantages over the other team rest on the offense.

He is not capable of taking advantage of this. With great defensive players, he is an asset. Without those great players, he is a liability.

He holds philosophies that do not work but he has a massive ego so he will not acknowledge it.

One of the girls once put money in a claw machine and got a doll out of it. For YEARS, whenever she went past one of those machines she insisted she could get another. She was convinced that it worked once and so it could work again. His obsession with splash plays has killed us. But worse, this tendency to try to hit home runs (while it worked with some draft picks) is the same disease that brought in Harvin to kill the team or Graham to destroy the run game which was working.

His obsession with Home Runs is the root of the problem and cannot be solved without removing him.

He is old and his philosophies are tired and outdated. More significantly, he cannot adapt. We know his fingers are on FO moves, and so a large part of this roster he cannot work with is likely his doing. The irony is that if we did not drive off all those players that were 'getting paid too much' and disagreeing with him (because he is now near incompetent) - we would still be competitive. (Ask SF how Sherman is doing now)

He figured out how to use players with different body types than the standard metrics in different ways. That got us that talent much cheaper. And he is fantastic at developing talent he has. But if he cannot hit on those players he cannot compete.

He is a master strategist, but one of the worst game-day coaches in the league.
    He is a tremendous evaluator of talent and developer but poor to average evaluator of assistant coaches.
    He is a tremendous defensive mind but one of the worst offensive minds in the league.
    He does not put enough credence into failure, both learning from it and avoiding it.
    Will consistently believe that he can bring in people that have failed elsewhere and make it work for him. It worked once, wonderfully, with Lynch. The rest were steaming disasters.
    He is constantly scheming for little advantages in one direction, that lead to huge gaping holes in other directions.

If he does not have a materially better roster than his opposition, his teams will struggle over the long term. And for us, without a great defense to cover his flaws on offense, he is a net liability.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:29 am
  • Are we 12’s? I ask because some are calling for the coaches head after a 0-2 start? Are the offensive woes frustrating? Sure they are but it’s been two games. Pete guided the Seahawks to the best five year run this franchise has ever seen. He’s earned the right to fix it. Relax it a long season.
    I would rather have an army of Dogs led by a Pug than an army of Pugs led by a Dog. ~Napoleon
    pugs1
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:30 am
  • Don't want him gone at all. But it's time he actually does what he claims and sticks to the run. He has final say, not the coordinators. I love the guy, but enough already.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:23 am
  • Starting to look like it.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 am
  • No, not yet.

Pete and John have earned the goodwill from Allen and the organization to try to rebuild this roster............but only through the end of their contracts (2019).

Only loser organizations fire coaches mid-season because they're dysfunctional and kneejerk. When has that ever worked out?
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:28 am
  • It's time to just move this franchise to Puerto Rico.

:stirthepot:
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:31 am
  • pugs1 wrote:Are we 12’s? I ask because some are calling for the coaches head after a 0-2 start? Are the offensive woes frustrating? Sure they are but it’s been two games. Pete guided the Seahawks to the best five year run this franchise has ever seen. He’s earned the right to fix it. Relax it a long season.

It would be unreasonable if it was in a vacuum. But the same problems with the offense from the prior two seasons have persisted. They changed a bunch of coordinators and position coaches and the offense still sucks. That's why many of us are fed up.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:46 am
  • It pains me to say because I have always loved Pete as our HC but as many have stated, he is demonstrating incapability to adjust to the rest of the league and he is absolutely hampering Russell's abilities. With better coaching, we win last night's game easily. This is just painful to watch. Unless there is a MAJOR turn around or clear signs of improvement as the season goes on, I believe this should be Pete's last season.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:50 am
  • My answer: No!

Sure as heck I was unhappy watching among other things: Ifedi's lunch being taken from him again and again, Russell being sacked 5 times in the first half, a relatively uninspiring run game and the only time they ran it they moved the damn ball, weak tackling, soft coverage, limited pass rush. You just knew they weren't going to win; then Russell made it exciting until he threw the telegraphed pick 6.

At the end it was close, and so was the Denver game. In total they have lost two games by only 11 points. So far though it has been painful to watch and this team is seriously wounded, yet was competitive, well sort of.

I think the safe answer to the question is let's wait until the end of this season to see. Somehow though there are some good players here on both sides of the ball and Pete will be given the chance to do his rebuild.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:57 am
  • I'm not willing to say at this moment, but I have always believed Pete would make a better Defensive Coordinator than head coach.
    “How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 am
  • Pete may have some say in how the offensive play calls but I didn't see him standing next to BS and telling him what to call. Unfortunately, what we saw was a BS called game (2 in a row), this was what the critics said when we replaced Bevell with basically Bevell. Our D played dam good last night given that we had a rag tag group of guys out there. We saw on one drive what Seattle could be IF we will just throw short and quick passes. We scored incredibility easy and fast and Russell had gobs of time. When all our routes are 10+ yards and Russell has to make 12 reads he is going to get sacked.

Everyone calling for Pete's job are off base, this is the OC and the OC alone. Pete told him to take a couple shots deep but BS has to call a better game. Plain and simple.
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:13 am
  • Pete hires the OC.

The decision was his and the consequences should be too.

Regardless, it is a what have you done for me lately league. Pete has done nothing for 5 years except fail with some of the best players to play football on his roster. Stripped of those players, this year he can barely compete.

He isn't able to effectively coach game-day and he is too old and intractable to change now. So he is worthless unless you want him to model running shoes on the sideline.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:14 am
  • Pete has done nothing? Come on man.
    He's certainly not coaching well this season, but he has done plenty.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:18 am
  • Not since his 2nd SB loss he hasn't.

With one of the best rosters in football, he took us to the wildcard games and then got blown out in the first real playoff game EVERY year but for the year he missed the playoffs entirely.

In most of those years, the Seahawks were the NFC favorite for the SB or were the 2nd or 3rd choice (darkhorse)

So he literally underproduced with one of the best defenses and most talented rosters ever year past the SB loss. The consensus evaluation of the roster was high, hence the constantly getting picked as the SB favorite for the NFC.

That is almost the textbook definition of doing nothing. Maybe worse.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:32 pm
  • Pete's influence at USC caused Norm Chow to leave, I think he is doing that same thing here now, he just needs to focus on what he knows, Holmgren had the good sense to let his DC do his job and not meddle in it.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:52 pm
  • Probably, yeah. I think Pete needs to go somewhere new and try again, for his own benefit. He does best in new situations.

For us, a coach like Matt LaFleur would be a good option to take over as head coach. I know PA likes to hire big, but I think he's a hot name with a hell of a resume on the offensive side of the ball. We'll see how he does with Mariota this year.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:55 pm
  • It's been time for a couple of years now. Assuming we don't have a major turnaround and make the playoffs he should be gone, along with Schotty. And very likely JS as well, given our abysmal drafting.
    ducks41468
    NET Starter

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:09 pm
  • ducks41468 wrote:It's been time for a couple of years now. Assuming we don't have a major turnaround and make the playoffs he should be gone, along with Schotty. And very likely JS as well, given our abysmal drafting.

That's kinda how it works. If the HC goes, so does everyone else.

I could maybe see Schneider staying if Pete goes? But even then Paul might want to clean house and make that part of the deal with getting the best new HC possible, having input into who the GM is.

Just makes me sad that we're even having this conversation two games into the season, when it was barely a couple years ago that the entire NFL considered John and Pete one of the top FO's in the entire league, if not THE best.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:13 pm
  • Hey if Pete does go, maybe lure away Pete Carmichael away from the Saints.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:31 pm
  • hawkfannj wrote:Best and worst coach we ever had.

Best post of the day
    World champs sb48

Aros wrote:

hawksincebirth
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:58 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Pete's influence at USC caused Norm Chow to leave, I think he is doing that same thing here now, he just needs to focus on what he knows, Holmgren had the good sense to let his DC do his job and not meddle in it.

^This.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:14 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Not since his 2nd SB loss he hasn't.

With one of the best rosters in football, he took us to the wildcard games and then got blown out in the first real playoff game EVERY year but for the year he missed the playoffs entirely.

In most of those years, the Seahawks were the NFC favorite for the SB or were the 2nd or 3rd choice (darkhorse)

So he literally underproduced with one of the best defenses and most talented rosters ever year past the SB loss. The consensus evaluation of the roster was high, hence the constantly getting picked as the SB favorite for the NFC.

That is almost the textbook definition of doing nothing. Maybe worse.

Preach
    World champs sb48

Aros wrote:

hawksincebirth
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:31 pm
  • Underproduced with one of the best defenses? He got to two superbowls. How many SB's did the Mid 80's Bears get to? The early 2000's Bucaneers?

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Expectations of multiple Superbowls in the current NFL parity at all costs system are pretty ridiculous. There is exactly one franchise that can boast that sort of consistency. That's a high bar.

Pete got us to the playoffs 6 straight seasons. No one else in the NFC has done that this decade.

Pete deserves to coach here until he wishes to retire and I'm certainly afraid that his leaving will throw us into another 10 year abyss of bad Seahawk football. Everyone wanted Holmgren gone and Knox gone and their successors were worse. You don't can good coaches. You let them rebuild. Everyone needs to rebuild every 6 years or so. Peak performance of players only lasts a few years.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:50 pm
  • Packers had gone eight years in a row, right?

Also we went five years in a row 2012-2016
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:22 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:Underproduced with one of the best defenses? He got to two superbowls. How many SB's did the Mid 80's Bears get to? The early 2000's Bucaneers?

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Expectations of multiple Superbowls in the current NFL parity at all costs system are pretty ridiculous. There is exactly one franchise that can boast that sort of consistency. That's a high bar.

Pete got us to the playoffs 6 straight seasons. No one else in the NFC has done that this decade.

Pete deserves to coach here until he wishes to retire and I'm certainly afraid that his leaving will throw us into another 10 year abyss of bad Seahawk football. Everyone wanted Holmgren gone and Knox gone and their successors were worse. You don't can good coaches. You let them rebuild. Everyone needs to rebuild every 6 years or so. Peak performance of players only lasts a few years.

I know it is feels good to be a contrarian but the offense has gotten progressively worse and the arrow is pointing right at PC now. Probably why he held onto Bevelle so long, he knew Bevelle wasn't the whole problem.

There is nothing wrong with having high expectations. No corporation or business owner says "well everyone has a couple years of losing money (once established)". No, they say this is unacceptable and try to fix the problem. The past 2 games has been some of the worst offensive play calling I have ever seen. I don't want Pete gone but I want him to keep his damn hands off the offense. At least during game time.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:35 pm
  • I don't know the answer, but seems like in 2019 we're picking between Pete & Russ.
    * NET Staff *

Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:38 pm
  • jdruaint wrote:Yes hate to see him draft with a top 5 pick.

They will just trade down and screw themselves out of another star player.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information