Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Sky is Falling.

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Sky is Falling.
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:45 pm
  • Who’s in?

Y’all know who you are, post up.

Sure, it’s frustrating when your team doesn’t live up to your expectations.

It’s absolutely understandable that you don’t have the same confidence that you had a couple/few seasons ago.

Do you understand that there are 5, five players left from our SB48 team?

Seriously, I’d like for us to justify our complaints.
    Are you willing to put yours in writing?

We have, without a doubt, or legitimate argument, the best QB/head coach combo in the history of the franchise.

We actually had a great draft this year.
    Young guys are in training, and I’d guess we have a couple of future ProBowlers up and coming.

Can we talk?
    Be honest, justify your complaints, don’t talk shit, keep it real.

Why are you so discouraged with this team, our coaching staff, and/or the QB?

What problems do you see the Seahawks having that are unique to the Seahawks?

I’m actually optimistic for the future as a Hawk fan, give me reason to not be, I want to be in “the in crowd”.

Ready, Set, Go.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: Sky is Falling.
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:47 pm
  • BTW
    I’d like to keep this out of the Shack.

:{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:49 pm
  • It's kind of hard to know what we have when everyone is injured. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the show :D
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:49 pm
  • I'm in...for 7-9..why because that is realistic for what we have this year in what the beginning of a rebuild. Low end..5-11 if the injuries mount up. Not in denial of where we are at hoping that management signs some old broken down cast off we got rid of 2 years to try and capture some old glory. It is what it is and poor drafting and horrible trades got us to what is going to be a down year. It was bound to happen,...doesn't mean I'm not going to cheer every week. I think this will be our down year and it will get better!
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:52 pm
  • I am out of touch, what picks do we own in '19 draft?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:53 pm
  • Pay attention kids it fell along time ago. :irishdrinkers:
    xray
    NET Rookie

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:56 pm
  • King Dog wrote:It's kind of hard to know what we have when everyone is injured. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the show :D

I do love me some Seahawk football.
    Always have, and as long as they remain the Seattle Seahawks always will.

I’m going to enjoy the show with you.

:{)

My issue here is, there is so much negativity going around.
    I feel like I’m missing something.

I truly want to understand why folks are so down on our team.

I don’t really understand Xs&Os that well, so I’m hoping that a few will help me understand why they are so discouraged and disappointed.

I’m simply not able to grasp why so many are unhappy.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:57 pm
  • toffee wrote:I am out of touch, what picks do we own in '19 draft?

1, 3, 4, and 5. Not a lot of ammo right now.

There are some reasons for optimism, but we don't have much depth at CB going forward, aren't developing any LBs besides Quem who may not be best suited for the position, and major question marks at S. Glad we have Green developing at DE and hope we can nab another pass rusher in the first round - should be solid on DL in all honesty.

Offense has some bright spots but we need to draft and develop two tackles to replace Ifedi soon and DB in a couple years. Also need a true #1 WR now that Baldwin is getting up there in age. Need an answer at RG in the future as well. Also at pass catching TE unless Dissly can grow into the role.

There are holes everywhere and the bad drafting from 2013 to 2016 is mostly to blame.
    Last edited by adeltaY on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:00 pm
  • xray wrote:Pay attention kids it fell along time ago. :irishdrinkers:

What does this mean?

I’ve read your posts, and you are obviously down on this team.

Man up, and take a few minutes to explain yourself.

Tell me why you are in such a negative frame of mind with THIS team.

Please, like I said, keep it real don’t just talk shit.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:03 pm
  • Let's be real here, this never was going to be a season that we competed. It is a year that we reload. We lost a lot of talent and haven't replaced them with good alternatives. As long as we hang in games, and our rookies show development I'll be happy to watch.
    Last edited by Spin Doctor on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:03 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:
    toffee wrote:I am out of touch, what picks do we own in '19 draft?

Welp. We may not be good, but at least we've stockpiled a lot of draft picks to reload.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:13 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:Let's be real here, this never was going to be a season that we competed. It is a year that we reload. We lost a lot of talent and haven't replaced them with good alternatives. As long as we hang in games, and our rookies show development I'll be happy to watch.

You mean competed for a SB, right? Because what I saw in Denver was a fairly competitive game, close in score, and some good plays mixed in with some bad. If this team plays competitively with every other team in the league, even if they miss the playoffs, isn't that a win?
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:16 pm
  • King Dog wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:

Welp. We may not be good, but at least we've stockpiled a lot of draft picks to reload.

The bigger concern is where Pete is going to want to spend the Free Agency money. Year after year he has flushed precious cap space down the toilet. Signing guys that don't contribute, or if they play they are horrendous. Thanks Pete.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:21 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:

There are some reasons for optimism, but we don't have much depth at CB going forward, aren't developing any LBs besides Quem who may not be best suited for the position, and major question marks at S. Glad we have Green developing at DE and hope we can nab another pass rusher in the first round - should be solid on DL in all honesty.

Offense has some bright spots but we need to draft and develop two tackles to replace Ifedi soon and DB in a couple years. Also need a true #1 WR now that Baldwin is getting up there in age. Need an answer at RG in the future as well. Also at pass catching TE unless Dissly can grow into the role.

There are holes everywhere and the bad drafting from 2013 to 2016 is mostly to blame.

Predicting we trade Earl for a 2nd after the Cowboy game.
    Hawkfish
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:27 pm
  • Fade wrote:
    The bigger concern is where Pete is going to want to spend the Free Agency money. Year after year he has flushed precious cap space down the toilet. Signing guys that don't contribute, or if they play they are horrendous. Thanks Pete.

Fair enough, and there are many that would agree with you.

Remember though, we’re “keeping it real”.

Care to explain how you would do things differently?

Were there free agents that you would have rather signed?
    What would you have done differently if you had “the power” to make the decisions?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:37 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Who’s in?

It’s absolutely understandable that you don’t have the same confidence that you had a couple/few seasons ago.

We have, without a doubt, or legitimate argument, the best QB/head coach combo in the history of the franchise.

Young guys are in training, and I’d guess we have a couple of future ProBowlers up and coming.

Can we talk?

I’m actually optimistic for the future as a Hawk fan, give me reason to not be, I want to be in “the in crowd”.

Ready, Set, Go.

I think it all depends on what your expectations were entering this season. I thought winning 8 games, if we got a lot of return from youngsters, would be a pretty good effort.

The injuries definitely suck this early in the season.

As always, if people are super high on the team...great. If others are not...also great. I am not sure why it always has to be a tug of war in here. We all have objective opinions about things. There have been some pretty consistent negative trends we have seen for the last few seasons. There have been some poor trades and free agency decisions. There has been some big time player movement.

It is the normal ebb and flow of a franchise (well, any franchise not named New England).

I think for those of us that have been following the team for a long time (since 1977 for me), we have seen the worst of the worst. I wonder sometimes if some of the more recent entrants to our fan base are a little "spoiled"? That doesn't mean they have to be 100% positive all the time, but if you watched this team in the late 70s, early 80s, and early 90s...you learned the hard way.

As far as the 2018 draft being "great"? Way, way too early to say that...and we have no empirical evidence to label it that way. Let's check in down range on that one.

Our surprising first round pick looks a little slow so far, but hopefully as he learns the NFL game he will improve. Green flashed in the pre-season, but that can be Fools Gold - and he wasn't even noticed in the first game. Dissly is already a stud. Griffin looks like a man without a natural position fit and was overwhelmed in his first real game, but obviously we give him time. Flowers will have growing pains, especially switching positions. Dickson is also a stud. The rest (Jones, Martin, McGough)? Jones hurt, Martin is seeing some time, and McGough is on the P.S.

Potential? Yes. Great? No, not yet - not even close.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:42 pm
  • I'm not crestfallen, but I'm realistic that we're in a stacked NFC undergoing a bit of a rebuild on defence, and I don't expect that rebuild to bear fruit this season.

Our QB is elite, our O-Line showed improvements week 1 (though Ifedi remains a concern). Dickson is my new favourite player ( :lol: ) and I'm really enjoying watching Carson. I'm hopeful Penny can contribute meaningfully later in the season too. There's not much at WR with Baldwin out - although I really enjoy watching Lockett on the end of rainbows.

On defence, I love KJ and Wagner (but both are banged up). Shaq Griffin had a promising rookie season, but is far from instilling fear in opposing QBs. ET is not long for the team. Frank Clark is good (and I hope he stays healthy). Everywhere else, pretty much, are question marks. As is the coaching going forward.

Things are trending into the unknown more than definitively up or down, IMO. I'd have more confidence that the unknown might be up if I had more confidence in the back office to make the right decisions and think of a path back to a SuperBowl win, not just a path back to scraping into the playoffs.
    Beren
    NET Rookie

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:53 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Who’s in?

Can we talk?

Ready, Set, Go.

I think it all depends on what your expectations were entering this season. I thought winning 8 games, if we got a lot of return from youngsters, would be a pretty good effort.

The injuries definitely suck this early in the season.

As always, if people are super high on the team...great. If others are not...also great. I am not sure why it always has to be a tug of war in here. We all have objective opinions about things. There have been some pretty consistent negative trends we have seen for the last few seasons. There have been some poor trades and free agency decisions. There has been some big time player movement.

It is the normal ebb and flow of a franchise (well, any franchise not named New England).

I think for those of us that have been following the team for a long time (since 1977 for me), we have seen the worst of the worst. I wonder sometimes if some of the more recent entrants to our fan base are a little "spoiled"? That doesn't mean they have to be 100% positive all the time, but if you watched this team in the late 70s, early 80s, and early 90s...you learned the hard way.

As far as the 2018 draft being "great"? Way, way too early to say that...and we have no empirical evidence to label it that way. Let's check in down range on that one.

Our surprising first round pick looks a little slow so far, but hopefully as he learns the NFL game he will improve. Green flashed in the pre-season, but that can be Fools Gold - and he wasn't even noticed in the first game. Dissly is already a stud. Griffin looks like a man without a natural position fit and was overwhelmed in his first real game, but obviously we give him time. Flowers will have growing pains, especially switching positions. Dickson is also a stud. The rest (Jones, Martin, McGough)? Jones hurt, Martin is seeing some time, and McGough is on the P.S.

Potential? Yes. Great? No, not yet - not even close.

Well thought out, and reasonable post/opinion.

My focus with this thread is to understand why the folks that are down with the team are so.

I’d like folks to honestly explain themselves.

I feel like those that have legitimate reasons will take the time to explain.

We’ve all seen the posts.

Those that are simply talking shit will either continue to do so, or they won’t even post in this thread.

I remember the day that we learned that Washington would be getting an NFL team.
    My mother and I grabbed hands an did a Jig in the kitchen, so I’ve been on the band wagon for a minute as well.

Truly my desire here is to understand why some folks are so down and discouraged.

I simply would like for those people to explain why they feel like they do, I’m not trying to say they don’t have reason, or the right to feel that way.

It seems the majority are on the negative side, and I don’t get it.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:06 pm
  • I'm in. Russell is worth 7 wins a year by himself. Longtime fans have been through worse.

Go Hawks!
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:07 pm
  • Optimistic for the future

Think this season is trending worse than expected. Lots of injuries for an already super thin team with lots of hopeful impact rookies

The drafts of the prior three years is largely to blame.

Still think the next year will be much better and compete for the bowl in 2020
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:10 pm
  • acer1240 wrote:I'm in. Russell is worth 7 wins a year by himself. Longtime fans have been through worse.

Go Hawks!

So. You’re “in” on “the sky is falling”?

Maybe I didn’t word things correctly.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:15 pm
  • Hawkfish wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:

Predicting we trade Earl for a 2nd after the Cowboy game.

I’m predicting Earl gets franchised by Seattle for the next 2 years.
    Crazy uncle Jerruh refused fo pony up, So no ET for him!!!!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:18 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    acer1240 wrote:I'm in. Russell is worth 7 wins a year by himself. Longtime fans have been through worse.

Go Hawks!

So. You’re “in” on “the sky is falling”?

Maybe I didn’t word things correctly.

I'm in on the fact that this is a rebuilding year and I can sit back, watch and enjoy without stressing out.

The sky certainly is not falling. This isn't "in Ruskell I trust" territory.

This is 2012. All over again.

I can't wait :D
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:26 pm
  • This team is falling apart and this is most likely Pete and John's last year. The reality is that they are currently running on reputation alone. They captured lighting in a bottle between 2010 and 2012 but have done nothing since. We have had bad drafts since 2013 and nothing shows that we are getting better. We have been making really weird and poor decisions of late (spending two seconds on DTs last year and when neither of those worked out not replacing them with anything, not trading Earl Thomas when he cleary isn't coming back). Earl is gone next year. KJ is probally gone next year. Doug and Bobby are getting older and banged up. Our best pash rusher is really a third option and his contract is coming up. Russel Wilson is an above average QB who relies on his agility and speed but is aging and losing both of those. We are going to have to pay him like an elite player (the economics of QBs) which will hinder the team. We are stuck in a situation where we either resign our above average QB to elite money or go years in QB purgatory. Wilson has not become a pocket passer and will regress every year that he gets older and loses the magical ability that he had. Really, we wasted 5 years of drafts, made bad trades for offensive weapons/toys that didn't pan out, made horrible choices for out O-Line, and did not find players to replace aging stars and traded/released those stars to late. We are at the spot where we were when the Holgmren regime collapsed. This team is just devoid of talent. And, honestly, Pete is a bad in game coach so it's not like he can win with poor talent. We are in for a rough year and a rough couple years most likely. I will always be thankful for Pete and John bringing us a trophy, but they have done nothing since then that makes me confident in them. Like, some bands only have it in them to record one great album. Some authors only have one good book in them. Pete and John built a hell of a team but that was all they had. The team they built was strong enough to stay competitive as it slowly withered but the bottom has fallen out. I'm still gonna route for them but they are what they are. A bad team.
    seanmatt
    NET Rookie

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:28 pm
  • I was on the rebuild wagon well before the start of the season and continue to be so, tuition is what is going to be paid for 8 to 10 weeks, we will have guys rotating in for injured players, rookies learning NFL style football and establishing themselves and the Officials baptizing them as well as they learn the ropes of how to deal with NFL Officials, Sherman was loud but he had a knack of dealing with them after the first call and pointing out the rules etc in a way that we rarely seen repeat calls for the same offense.

We have a line that we have heard is now going to grow together and that still will take time to gel.

Watching a plant grow can be boring, but you forget about that when it blooms.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:35 pm
  • Come on...
    Since 1976 we have lived through mediocrity, horrible first round draft picks, heart breaking playoff losses, the 90's, Ken Behring trying to move the Hawk's to California, do we need to delve further? Injuries will heal, this is a talented young team with great potential and we are missing less pieces than most think. Try to appreciate this team for what they are in the present and what they could be in the near future. Go Seahawks.
    Seahawker76
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:39 pm
  • Ad Hawk wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:Let's be real here, this never was going to be a season that we competed. It is a year that we reload. We lost a lot of talent and haven't replaced them with good alternatives. As long as we hang in games, and our rookies show development I'll be happy to watch.

You mean competed for a SB, right? Because what I saw in Denver was a fairly competitive game, close in score, and some good plays mixed in with some bad. If this team plays competitively with every other team in the league, even if they miss the playoffs, isn't that a win?

Yes, competing for a Super Bowl. If the game is like the 7-9 season from 2010 sans playoff birth I will be happy.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:51 pm
  • I was seriously excited about how this team looked. I thought if the line improved just a little and our RBs didn't get injured (I mean all of them) we would be fine. How cool would that be if the Seahawks were reborn again? I really have to admit though, the injuries over the past 4 years are very frustrating.

Teams have injuries, yes it is part of the game but was really hoping for that random year of an injury free season. Still a lot games to play so let's see what happens.

Think we got out coached this past Sunday and I am sick of that, no excuse. The predictability of whether we pass or run resulting in numerous 3 and outs is sometimes downright unbearable.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:06 pm
  • For me, we are right where we supposed to be at this point. We almost got lucky in Denver, one missed FG and a bad TD call ... we coulda, woulda. But still we are where we supposed to be, I would be real worried if the team doesn't improve substantially in second half of the season.

I observation so far on Pete/John's strategies:

1. To improve our running game:
    blocking TE, run blocking RG, new star 1st round RB. My grade: C-, TE play actually improved, Fluker so far hasn't work out, Penny is super super underwhelming ---- sure haven't seen any flash or fire from this young man.

2. Reloading our DL:
    Lots of new faces, Green shown some flash in pre-season but nothing in 1st game. Poona hasn't played, Clark had a quiet game. My grade: C-

3. Reinvent LOB:
    Work in progress, so far, looking like a C+ to me.

Like to see a B+ in those three area come second half of this season.

++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:20 pm
  • It fell already...get off your Fantasy Football and pay attention.
    xray
    NET Rookie

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:21 pm
  • All I know is I have never used my Ignore feature as much as I have this year.

I can handle the skeptics and the "realists" but those perpetual noisy negativists I don't have time for in my life.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:28 pm
  • Aros wrote:All I know is I have never used my Ignore feature as much as I have this year.

I can handle the skeptics and the "realists" but those perpetual noisy negativists I don't have time for in my life.

I hear you on that. There are some people here that seriously need a hug and a pat on the back. It will be ok.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:29 pm
  • xray wrote:It fell already...get off your Fantasy Football and pay attention.

What, huh?

Who or what are you responding too?

Again I ask, please explain why you feel or see things the way you do.

Are you trolling?
    Do you have any substance to add to the conversation?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:53 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    xray wrote:It fell already...get off your Fantasy Football and pay attention.

What, huh?

Who or what are you responding too?

Again I ask, please explain why you feel or see things the way you do.

Are you trolling?
    Do you have any substance to add to the conversation?

He is a new troll
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:53 pm
  • If you don't acknowledge your problems, then resolving them becomes unlikely.

That said, if your measure to enjoy the Seahawks or being a satisfied fan is the Seahawk's reaching the SB - then I question how any fan could last the season. They are not reaching the SB, but I would be happy with a real playoff win. Not sure that is reasonable either.

I watched this team when it was a 2 win team. I am ok with 7 wins if that is all they can muster.

The frustrating thing is that they could be better, but they keep making the same mistakes again and again while not learning from them.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:If you don't acknowledge your problems, then resolving them becomes unlikely.

That said, if your measure to enjoy the Seahawks or being a satisfied fan is the Seahawk's reaching the SB - then I question how any fan could last the season. They are not reaching the SB, but I would be happy with a real playoff win. Not sure that is reasonable either.

I watched this team when it was a 2 win team. I am ok with 7 wins if that is all they can muster.

The frustrating thing is that they could be better, but they keep making the same mistakes again and again while not learning from them.

Very true, good post.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sky is Falling.
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:29 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:If you don't acknowledge your problems, then resolving them becomes unlikely.

Curious what you think those mistakes are?
    Do you think that problem, those problems are unique to the Seahawks?
    Do you feel that other fan bases feel the same way about their team?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:52 pm
  • I'll play-

Front Office - I think John Schneider is one of the most overrated GM's in the game. I'm not going to come out and say he's downright horrible, but he's not near as good as most Seahawk fans think. Its been about 5 years since we had a good draft and some of his free agent signings for cash and draft picks are just infuriating. Its not a coincidence that the drafts started falling off the cliff once Pete's familiarity with the college classes ended.

Coaching - Pete isn't a good game day coach. Just last weekend he did things that just make you sit there with your mouth open. Dissly had 100 yards and a TD in the 1st half and wasn't used in the 2nd half? WTF? Carson averaged 7 ypc and you only run him 7 times? This is coming from a coach that says he wants to get back to running the ball. Again, WTF? Its a disturbing pattern. I have always thought he needed the best and most talent to be successful and we don't have that now. I truly believe he will step down in 2020 after his contract is up.

QB - Still don't understand the fans that are down on Russ. He is the best QB that the Seahawks have ever had. Sure, he's not Rodgers and cant throw with Brees, but he offers his own set of abilities that sets him apart. Any other QB behind our line the past few years would have had a funeral procession already. He works hard and studies the game and I believe he has been hamstrung by bad coaching and bad Oline play for years now. Yeah, he's slowing down some, but I have no doubt that he'll learn to adapt as time goes on.

RB - Carson is just alright in my opinion. Sadly, we haven't seen enough of him on field to gauge him any further than that. He's never even had a 100 yard rushing game yet. He definitely looks better than whoever else we have, but that's not hard to do. Penny is an enigma. I was actually ok with the draft pick although I understood the people who weren't. He was a stud in college and why not take a chance with him? We actually need a star RB and we tried. Granted he's only played one game, but he hasent looked good since he's gotten here. I'll give him some more time. Honestly, speaking of RB's, the Seahawks decline started when Lynch regressed. It wasn't the defense or the QB or anything else. It was Lynch. Pete's philosophy doesn't work unless you have somebody like Lynch back there that can get yards after the carry. Others have tried and they have failed. In 2015, Pete and Bevell had a revelation and opened up the offense with Rawls and we looked awesome. 2016 comes around and its right back to the drawing board with Pete thinking we had Lynch back there again. Urgh.

WR - Baldwins a #2 or #3 slot receiver that's been pretending to be our #1 for years. He balls hard and I love the guy, but he isn't a #1. What do we do with him with his contract coming up? I don't know. People have stated that our WR corp has been average for years and I agree. They struggle at times to get separation, but most NFL corps are the same. I wish we had a play maker in the lineup like Brown, Green, or Odel but who doesn't? If an NFL team can get away with being average at any position group, its the WR's in my opinion,,,,,and we are.

TE - The Graham project was a nightmare as we all know. I wasn't happy with the Dissly pick, but he went nuts in his 1st game so we'll have to wait and see with him. Vannett's a bust in my opinion and Dickson is a dinosaur. it is what it is.

Oline - Could the last few years be any worse than what we were/are? Is it Cables fault? Did he really have enough input that the FO passed on so many lineman in the drafts? Did he really teach them to be that awful with technique and so forth? I'm not sure yet. They still look horrible under Solari which makes me think they are, but its early. I'll reserve judgement a little later. just awful though.

Defense - I'm tired so i'll bunch them all together. We are as shallow as any team in the NFL in my opinion. The line got pushed around in Denver which made their RB's look good, we have a poor pass rush, our linebackers are all hurt, but KJ and Wagner are awesome when healthy. They are getting older though. The LOB is gone and that hurts. I didn't agree with getting rid of Sherman, but he and Pete were at odds. Kam got hurt. Earl is still one of the best safties in the league, but he wants out. Anyways, the players let go were replaced with worse players and that's why the defense isn't very good. Will it be? I'm not sure to be honest.

Special Teams - Walsh was a nightmare and we followed that up with another kicker that's causing night sweats. Why is it so hard? Dickson is the best draft pick the FO has made in years. Sad when you look forward to watching the punter.

All in all, I think the team is in trouble. Not just this season, but going forward. I have no confidence in Pete to turn it around or to coach them out of this regression. Thanks for the memories, but I feel its time to move on while we still have a franchise QB in the prime of his career.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:59 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:If you don't acknowledge your problems, then resolving them becomes unlikely.

Curious what you think those mistakes are?
    Do you think that problem, those problems are unique to the Seahawks?
    Do you feel that other fan bases feel the same way about their team?

Everytime I start feeling bad about the Seahawks situation, I think of the Bengals and their fans. Look how many years Lewis has been the coach and how unsuccessful he and they are. He's been the coach there for 15 years and not one playoff win. Not one.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:03 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Fade wrote:

Fair enough, and there are many that would agree with you.

Remember though, we’re “keeping it real”.

Care to explain how you would do things differently?

Were there free agents that you would have rather signed?
    What would you have done differently if you had “the power” to make the decisions?

I would have to go into too much detail and type a wall of text to talk about the past, and it would all come off as Captain Hindsight anyway. So I will stick with the near future.

The General Problem has been:

Pete has his hands in too many pots, for far too long, and it has dragged the team down. He needs to just focus on being the Head Coach only going forward. Let John be the GM and let John have final say on personnel, get a high level DC & OC, not yes men.

The problem is of course is Pete would never accept a reduced role.

The Near Future:

Pete only has 1 year left at the end of this year. Pete I don't think will want to be a lame duck at the end of the year and will want to be extended.

So we will have to wait and see how it goes this year, and I am not talking record wise. I am talking 2011 vibe wise. That team was 7-9, but I felt and many others felt like they were only a QB away from being Championship contenders.

So if the offense is really humming by the end of the year, and it feels like they just need to get some pass rushers, and continued development in the secondary to be championship contenders again go ahead and aggressively acquire some guys who can sack the QB, and extend Pete.

If the team feels just too far away, and there are problems everywhere. That have been created by Pete himself over an extended period of time. Then I think it is time to seriously consider change & restructuring at the top of the organization when it comes to football operations.

Nothing will need to be said at the end of this season. We will know.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:27 pm
  • xray wrote:Pay attention kids it fell along time ago. :irishdrinkers:

Really?

Last year the team had a winning record, although they missed the playoffs. Is that what you are focusing upon? JThere is still the core of of a strong team here. Injury bug sucks at present but in my mind the sky is just fine.

When did the sky fall oh great nabob of the nadir?
    Last edited by jammerhawk on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:35 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:I'll play-

Front Office - I think John Schneider is one of the most overrated GM's in the game. I'm not going to come out and say he's downright horrible, but he's not near as good as most Seahawk fans think. Its been about 5 years since we had a good draft and some of his free agent signings for cash and draft picks are just infuriating. Its not a coincidence that the drafts started falling off the cliff once Pete's familiarity with the college classes ended.

Coaching - Pete isn't a good game day coach. Just last weekend he did things that just make you sit there with your mouth open. Dissly had 100 yards and a TD in the 1st half and wasn't used in the 2nd half? WTF? Carson averaged 7 ypc and you only run him 7 times? This is coming from a coach that says he wants to get back to running the ball. Again, WTF? Its a disturbing pattern. I have always thought he needed the best and most talent to be successful and we don't have that now. I truly believe he will step down in 2020 after his contract is up.

QB - Still don't understand the fans that are down on Russ. He is the best QB that the Seahawks have ever had. Sure, he's not Rodgers and cant throw with Brees, but he offers his own set of abilities that sets him apart. Any other QB behind our line the past few years would have had a funeral procession already. He works hard and studies the game and I believe he has been hamstrung by bad coaching and bad Oline play for years now. Yeah, he's slowing down some, but I have no doubt that he'll learn to adapt as time goes on.

RB - Carson is just alright in my opinion. Sadly, we haven't seen enough of him on field to gauge him any further than that. He's never even had a 100 yard rushing game yet. He definitely looks better than whoever else we have, but that's not hard to do. Penny is an enigma. I was actually ok with the draft pick although I understood the people who weren't. He was a stud in college and why not take a chance with him? We actually need a star RB and we tried. Granted he's only played one game, but he hasent looked good since he's gotten here. I'll give him some more time. Honestly, speaking of RB's, the Seahawks decline started when Lynch regressed. It wasn't the defense or the QB or anything else. It was Lynch. Pete's philosophy doesn't work unless you have somebody like Lynch back there that can get yards after the carry. Others have tried and they have failed. In 2015, Pete and Bevell had a revelation and opened up the offense with Rawls and we looked awesome. 2016 comes around and its right back to the drawing board with Pete thinking we had Lynch back there again. Urgh.

WR - Baldwins a #2 or #3 slot receiver that's been pretending to be our #1 for years. He balls hard and I love the guy, but he isn't a #1. What do we do with him with his contract coming up? I don't know. People have stated that our WR corp has been average for years and I agree. They struggle at times to get separation, but most NFL corps are the same. I wish we had a play maker in the lineup like Brown, Green, or Odel but who doesn't? If an NFL team can get away with being average at any position group, its the WR's in my opinion,,,,,and we are.

TE - The Graham project was a nightmare as we all know. I wasn't happy with the Dissly pick, but he went nuts in his 1st game so we'll have to wait and see with him. Vannett's a bust in my opinion and Dickson is a dinosaur. it is what it is.

Oline - Could the last few years be any worse than what we were/are? Is it Cables fault? Did he really have enough input that the FO passed on so many lineman in the drafts? Did he really teach them to be that awful with technique and so forth? I'm not sure yet. They still look horrible under Solari which makes me think they are, but its early. I'll reserve judgement a little later. just awful though.

Defense - I'm tired so i'll bunch them all together. We are as shallow as any team in the NFL in my opinion. The line got pushed around in Denver which made their RB's look good, we have a poor pass rush, our linebackers are all hurt, but KJ and Wagner are awesome when healthy. They are getting older though. The LOB is gone and that hurts. I didn't agree with getting rid of Sherman, but he and Pete were at odds. Kam got hurt. Earl is still one of the best safties in the league, but he wants out. Anyways, the players let go were replaced with worse players and that's why the defense isn't very good. Will it be? I'm not sure to be honest.

Special Teams - Walsh was a nightmare and we followed that up with another kicker that's causing night sweats. Why is it so hard? Dickson is the best draft pick the FO has made in years. Sad when you look forward to watching the punter.

All in all, I think the team is in trouble. Not just this season, but going forward. I have no confidence in Pete to turn it around or to coach them out of this regression. Thanks for the memories, but I feel its time to move on while we still have a franchise QB in the prime of his career.

semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:40 pm
  • We are talking about repeating the same mistakes, not everything this team does wrong.

As for the question:

Do Other Teams Do This? Sure. Lots of teams in the bottom half make mistakes like this.

Do Championship Teams? No.

Do Playoff Teams? Sometimes. But not the good ones. Though to be fair, we have not been a good playoff team in almost half a decade.

I have accepted our FO tends to overpay in trades and is often terrible at making them. And that 3 out of 4 decisions for a FA and ANY pricey FA will result in : #1 overpaying the FA #2 the FA being near worthless

Sure lots of FOs do this. But not the good ones.
    At the root, the problem with this team is that it is very good at thinking outside the box. But it is terrible at thinking in it.

We constantly do things to be better, when we just need to be good. We swing for the fences when we need base hits.

Hitting home runs is fine, shooting for a homerun when 3 guys are on base with 1 out? That is just stupid.

But the philosophy to always shoot for the stars is screwing us.

Just remember, this is a team that cut the LS and signed some guy off the street that sucked because he was more athletic for kick coverage. Which led to our kicker constantly missing kicks, losing our kicker, signing a terrible kicker who then lost us a bunch of games. That one stupid decision with Nowak damaged our playoff chances for years. But it was a pointlessly stupid move to get an advantage we didn't need that damaged our ability to do something we did need (that we were fine at). But this kind of pointless 'getting cute' for a minor advantage that creates a big weakness? That is Pete since USC.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:04 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:We are talking about repeating the same mistakes, not everything this team does wrong.

As for the question:

Do Other Teams Do This? Sure. Lots of teams in the bottom half make mistakes like this.

Do Championship Teams? No.

Do Playoff Teams? Sometimes. But not the good ones. Though to be fair, we have not been a good playoff team in almost half a decade.

I have accepted our FO tends to overpay in trades and is often terrible at making them. And that 3 out of 4 decisions for a FA and ANY pricey FA will result in : #1 overpaying the FA #2 the FA being near worthless

Sure lots of FOs do this. But not the good ones.
    At the root, the problem with this team is that it is very good at thinking outside the box. But it is terrible at thinking in it.

We constantly do things to be better, when we just need to be good. We swing for the fences when we need base hits.

Hitting home runs is fine, shooting for a homerun when 3 guys are on base with 1 out? That is just stupid.

But the philosophy to always shoot for the stars is screwing us.

Just remember, this is a team that cut the LS and signed some guy off the street that sucked because he was more athletic for kick coverage. Which led to our kicker constantly missing kicks, losing our kicker, signing a terrible kicker who then lost us a bunch of games. That one stupid decision with Nowak damaged our playoff chances for years. But it was a pointlessly stupid move to get an advantage we didn't need that damaged our ability to do something we did need (that we were fine at). But this kind of pointless 'getting cute' for a minor advantage that creates a big weakness? That is Pete since USC.

Now I know a lot can say this just being negative but honestly this is a very good analysis of our team. Seriously, we changed the OFC and yet we still see the same 3 and out bullshit. This is a real problem that needs to be fixed. There is no creative coaching on offensive or defense. There is no creativity to making pressure on the QB, why?

Now I'm not calling for Pete or JCs head but this is really staring to become, same shit different day. You can keep bringing up 2012-2014 but that is it. This is a business and I do not think it is overreaching to demand results.
    Last edited by seahawkfreak on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:06 pm
  • Holy Cow, what hyperbolic negativity. Just b/c the team loses a few overpaid stars who were locker room cancers. The championship D is aging out and there will need to be changes. Suddenly the sky is falling, what rubbish. Imagine being fans of Detroit or Cleveland, Tampa, or a few others. Imagine a couple of Ws in a row and you’ll be singing a different tune. The team has had a winning record in every season but one since

No faith, whatever? I could care less no team except the Patriots wins every season. They have the worst division in football to compete against and are usually guaranteed 6 divisional Ws/season against their division who regularly are amongst the worst teams in football.

The team has been on the edge of greatness since 2012 until the loss in XLIX which fractured the locker room . Pete certainly screwed up by not living his motto, Hopefully the lesson was learned and once the team has cap clarity, next year, there will be some positive and hopefully significant changes. We need to have patience but keep the faith b/c the roster here is whole lot better than the Negative Nellies will acknowledge. Believe what you want but come back and fess up if at the efnd of the year thinks are still bad in your view.

The present injury situation is certainly nothing that is helping but thankfully it is early and hopefully won’t continue spiralling.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:15 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:Holy Cow, what hyperbolic negativity. Just b/c the team loses a few overpaid stars who were locker room cancers. The championship D is aging out and there will need to be changes. Suddenly the sky is falling, what rubbish. Imagine being fans of Detroit or Cleveland, Tampa, or a few others. Imagine a couple of Ws in a row and you’ll be singing a different tune. The team has had a winning record in every season but one since

No faith, whatever? I could care less no team except the Patriots wins every season. They have the worst division in football to compete against and are usually guaranteed 6 divisional Ws/season against their division who regularly are amongst the worst teams in football.

The team has been on the edge of greatness since 2012 until the loss in XLIX which fractured the locker room . Pete certainly screwed up by not living his motto, Hopefully the lesson was learned and once the team has cap clarity, next year, there will be some positive and hopefully significant changes. We need to have patience but keep the faith b/c the roster here is whole lot better than the Negative Nellies will acknowledge. Believe what you want but come back and fess up if at the efnd of the year thinks are still bad in your view.

The present injury situation is certainly nothing that is helping but thankfully it is early and hopefully won’t continue spiralling.

Fine, can we stop with the 3 and outs? All I ask.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:35 pm
  • Can't say much more than what's already been said.
    Thinking we'll be 0-2 after Monday night. Hoping for 9-7 (minimum). Wouldn't be surprised to see a 7-9...maybe less.

I'll still be glued to the T.V. Taking the fam to Detroit near the end of October to watch the Hawks take on the Lions (we live in Dayton, Ohio). We love the Seahawks regardless...

But I also think you have to be a realist. There are a lot of holes on this team. The mass exodus of pro-bowl caliber players didn't help. And as much as I hope to see Penny tear it up, I'm still confused (yet...excited) about the recent draftees. I mean, looking forward to see what our punter does each week as you anticipate a 3 & out each offensive possession is hard to put into perspective (Dickson is incredible btw!!).

It makes you wonder how some of the other teams manage to A. attract talent and B. keep them. Is their management or vision that much better? Why do we do things like...not run Carson more last game? Why is Ifedi still around? Are we really not trying to keep ET?

Overall, and all considering, I'm happy with this team and excited. As a fan, you can't expect to win them all. I just want them to be competitive and hopefully squeak out a few playoff runs while some of the core are still intact (Russ, Baldwin, B-wags, etc..).

There are a lot of far worse teams out there. Being a Hawks fan for several decades, it doesn't feel like the sky is falling but I'm not expecting a SB (or even a playoff) win anytime soon.
    Elemas
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:37 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote: We need to have patience but keep the faith b/c the roster here is whole lot better than the Negative Nellies will acknowledge. Believe what you want but come back and fess up if at the efnd of the year thinks are still bad in your view.

Not arguing with you as everybody has their own opinion, but where do you see the quality in the roster? We have a few good players, but I'm having a hard time seeing what your seeing.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:43 pm
  • Dissly Dissly
    Nough said
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:18 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Holy Cow, what hyperbolic negativity. Just b/c the team loses a few overpaid stars who were locker room cancers. The championship D is aging out and there will need to be changes. Suddenly the sky is falling, what rubbish. Imagine being fans of Detroit or Cleveland, Tampa, or a few others. Imagine a couple of Ws in a row and you’ll be singing a different tune. The team has had a winning record in every season but one since

Fine, can we stop with the 3 and outs? All I ask.

Look my friend, we all want to see an offensive juggernaut but until the running game shows up it will continue to struggle. Lynch made a lot of things look much better than they were and the O has been broken since he left. In reality it wasn’t that great even then. The team won with D.

If you want to point fingers I frankly believe the Pete has goofed with FAs and going big balls to try to find a magic bullet, many of the moves have failed significantly. Without a doubt the Harvin and Graham trades were ridiculously damaging to the team interm of draft value lost and new blood; and his abandonment of his philosophy to keep players he hoped would return to form or fulfil their potential instead of facing up to the reality they weren’t worth keeping over the players they released to keep them. Further the rationalizing of keeping coaches who had manifestly failed to meet the most basic of their stated objectives. Further the skewing of the draft picks through Cable/Bevell period has JS struggling to retool an OLine that has manifestly underperformed and find cap that was thrown away by stupidity in FA. Blaming JS when PC has the final word in roster matters seems to be a misallocation off blame.

I still believe this management team can rebuild this team. They have done it before, and have made many very good decisions. However, until they can get the cap back in shape and actually find a few truly capable players in the draft and have some luck in FA, things will be much as we see at present, some good and some bad. Right now things seem to in a state of significant flux and some disarray b/c of injuries, but thankfully it is early in the season and there are moves that they can make which may truly fix a few areas. Fortunately the team seems to more conservative with the recent roster moves in terms of cost and ability of the players being added.

For me, although I want to see some 3rd down conversions, I’d rather see a strong pass rush b/c it will allow the O more time on the field to try to get the 3rd down conversions. I want to see more forced 3 and outs for opponents and more QB pressures. Oh and as well better play from the OLine and at least 150 yds of rushing per game.

I’m very much still ‘All In!’ I am a lifer so perhaps I may see things with my blinkers on. However I can still see ahead pretty clearly and the future looks good.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:40 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information