Are Pete and John on the Hot Seat?

MO Hawk

Reaction score
What do they have to do this season to keep their job? What has to happen for them to lose it?

I'd say 10-6 and the team being headed in the right direction to keep it. 8 losses and a team in disarray as the season progresses may cost both of them their job.

Injuries - To some extent these can't be helped or predicted, however I've read sports medicine articles over the years that correlate injuries to practice, training techniques and treatment. I know all NFL teams face injuries, but I can't say and I don't know where Seattle rates or ranks on the number of injuries during the season and average time out with an injury compared to other NFL teams? The reason I bring this up is it seems like injuries are already affecting us and it's still very early in the season.

Is the preseason a harbinger? To some extent I think it is, but we shall see.

Bottom line on coaches and GM's keeping their jobs? To quote Al Davis, "Just win Baby"!

HawkGA

Reaction score
They are not on the hot seat in any way, shape, or form.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
JS has 2 very sold drafts in 2017 & 18. While they're very good players, nothing can replace experience.

As far as injuries...Dickson, BMax, Thorpe, and Baldwin missed all or most of TC so is it the teams training techniques? That said Carson, Jones, Lockett, and Penny suffered injuries by being roll over or in Penny's case, when he jammed his finger into a players face mask. So, it's hard to determine unless you review each and every injury and confirm how each player suffered the injury and compare with each team.

xray

Reaction score
Those two guys put together a rather weak 90 man roster to start with.
Teams with the strongest 90 man rosters generally do better in the regular season because they have better players
to pick from for the 53 roster.
Since they both said that this is not a rebuild year then they put themselves on the hook for producing a decent season.
They are not going to have much depth because of the original 90 man roster picks hence the 0-4 pre-season.
I think that anything less than a 8-8 season will cost someone their job I'm guessing Carroll for sure.
Ownership has got to be tired of the RAH-RAH "the glass is half full" BS. AS a lifelong fan I know I am

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This season is a retooling/rebuilding season.
It would be silly to fire these two guys when they're trying to reshape the roster.

If you're expecting this team to get 10 wins, you're going to be disappointed come January. Lower your expectations this season.

TreeRon

Reaction score
This year, I think not, but if we win 9 or fewer games and NEXT year sees a trend in the same direction both will be on the hot seat.

getnasty

Reaction score
One non double digit win total because of a kicker and there on the hot seat.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
They are with fans. People are finding more and more reasons to start laying everything at the feet of a bad philosophy. You can see it in the narrative.

OKHawksfan

Reaction score
No offense, but what a dumb question. Of course not. The people that brought us our first Superbowl win? They may say they are not rebuilding, but that is just talk. The jettisoning of older players, new coordinators, etc. is going to take a little time. I would say they would have to miss the playoffs and/or have losing seasons for multiple years before being on the hot seat. I don't see that happening. I see some real bright spots on this team, but it is younger than it has been in almost a decade.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Worst post of the preseason, and there have been some bad ones.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Not this season, but if next season doesnt show some progression than yes.

adeltaY

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":xf4qp9v9 said:

I agree with this. They have at least one year after this one, but if we aren't in the playoffs in 2019, Pete should retire. Not sure about JS.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":28vzjz94 said:

Depends on how this season goes.

I think Allen knows we're probably in a 2-3 year rebuilding phase until we can get the depth back in defense, but if things go horribly wrong, we go 4-12 and this year's draft class doesn't show Paul that Pete and John still are good talent evaluators?

Then you bet both Pete and John will be on the hot seat.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I think it'll depend on how the season goes.

Today, I don't think so. It's going to be a retooling year. So I don't think record should factor into it too much.

However I think the manner in which the record is compiled is important. By end of year I think the tune begins to switch if we're not competitive and it looks like the recent components added in the last two years are basically JAGs who all need replacing. If that comes to pass, then this isn't a retooling year. It's basically a 2-3 year rebuild. Without future picks to achieve it.

This season's schedule is backloaded in terms of tough games on paper. If we get destroyed late in the year where most of our home games are played I think the sentiment changes dramatically. I can see a scenario where we get off to a hot start and fade down the stretch. Memories and opinions kind of ebb and flow with the outlook at the time.

I expect this to be a volatile year. But it's not played out yet. I do expect the blame or credit will all land and their feet though.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete would have been on the hot seat if we had another season like last, because the games were literally unwatchable until the 4th quarter.

But you don't fire coaches for going 7-9 or 8-8 when you are missing so many pieces in the first place.

If we get a reasonable offense, even with the defense taking a big step backward, we are still going to have good games.

The idea this team needs to be in the running for a SB for it to be a successful season is ridiculous. Expectations like that with this roster would be crazy.

Tical21

Reaction score
The seat is warm enough that if they go 5-11 and the players aren't competing, he's probably out. I highly doubt that happens though. Pete gets young players to play. Schneider's seat should be on fire. Should already have been fired IMO. Really probably the worst drafting and free agent acquisition in the league for 5 years. The roster he built has rightfully earned him a lot of equity, but there are just so many horrendous decisions.

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
I would say that they are its a what have u done for me lately and hate to break it to u guys but after the 4 years of cabevel
ya I could see it after this season it would make sense y they fired everybody after last year when pete is sooo loyal to his
coaching staff if we keep putting up dog poop performances there is the door don't let it hit you

Latest posts