Pete or Holmgren

Hawker8989

Reaction score
Simple question: Who was the better Seahawks coach?

Honestly, I'm having a tough time figuring it out.

OP
OP
H

Hawker8989

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2ey4goif said:
Sorry, Pete got us a Bowl, no other questions can be asked.

Well when I look at the talent both coaches had, it's not an outlandish question. Mike didn't have the better QB ( Matt was damm good though). Didn't have the offense.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hawker8989":9dlm6lqn said:
seahawkfreak":9dlm6lqn said:

Well when I look at the talent both coaches had, it's not an outlandish question. Mike didn't have the better QB ( Matt was damm good though). Didn't have the offense.

Hmmm, c'mon man. Dig deeper.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Hawker8989":2erd1cmw said:
seahawkfreak":2erd1cmw said:

Part of the reason Pete is better. Holmy was not nearly the talent evaluator that Pete is. Holmy failed as a GM for the Hawks, and failed even worse as a GM for the Browns.

warden

Reaction score
Holmgren in ten years of coaching with the Seahawks won four playoff games, Pete has won nine playoff games with n eight seasons. Holmgren in ten seasons with the Seahawks had two ten win plus seasons, Pete has had five ten win plus season is in eight seasons. It took Holmgren seven seasons with the Hawks to win a playoff game, Pete won one in his first season. Holmgren was one and done three times in the playoffs with the Hawks, Pete has never been one and done in the playoffs. Holmgren took over a much more talented team the Pete did. And more then less likly, Pete will surpass Holmgrens career wins with the Hawks this year while been with the team for a shorter time. Holmgren brought the Seahawks to one super bowl while Pete has brought us to two and he won one of them. Do you want me to continue

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
It really does boil down to personnel, doesn't it?

Holmy (who made me a 'Hawks fan, btw) had a less talented team (no knock on that group, they were fantastic) but the roster Pete and John assembled for the back to back Superbowl's was ridiculous.

Holmgren stretched himself too thin between the responsibilities. And also not to mention he called the offensive play calls during his tenure here.

X's and O's, i definitely would take Holmgren. Roster development and talent evaluation, definitely Pete. And Pete can balance those personalities and keep things positive with the best of them.

I don't think Holmgren's brand of football is aging well.

All that being said, they are both fantastic coaches. Holmgren will always be a personal favorite of mine.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Although I got tired of pass, pass, draw, I truly think Holmgren was a better in game coach than Pete. It seems I have seen more incredibly questionable (boneheaded) in game decisions / time management from Pete than from Holmgren (no data, just an observation). I believe Pete at times gets flat out out coached some Sundays. Of course, this is just one aspect of coaching.

I would select Pete to answer the OP question due to his incredible success in motivating and finding the right personnel to buy into his system. I would add that getting his team ready to decimate the best NFL offense in history in a Super Bowl was extraordinary as well. However, I don’t think the question is as far fetched as some might believe.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete is a damned good defensive coach. There’s a reason he was considered a hotshot D coordinator back in the day and a great secondary coach. He was his own D coordinator at USC the first several seasons and still did most (if not all) of the in-game calls even after bringing in a D coordinator. That’s allegedly one of the reasons Nick Holt followed Sark to UW—he wanted to call the plays.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Mike took the franchise to the next level after Chuck Knox did, and for that I am eternally grateful.

But Pete took this team to the pinnacle of greatness, and there lies the difference.

Pete.

Fade

Reaction score
Give Mike Holmgren the Seahawks rosters of '12-'16 and he wins more than 1 superbowl guaranteed.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Fade":rd5wd93l said:
Give Mike Holmgren the Seahawks rosters of '12-'16 and he wins more than 1 superbowl guaranteed.

Without a doubt, if Mike were the coach of the 2016-2017 Hawk teams, they would have far exceeded the teams win loss ratio. PC had lost the team. The only way he can reboot is to throw out the overpaid, and bring in the youth.

Heyseed

Reaction score
Holmgren's Green Bay Super Bowl XXXI team vs. Pete's Super Bowl XLVIII team would be epic! I think Pete's coaching philosophy is way more creative and exciting to watch (not safe for fans with heart conditions). Holmgren did establish a solid home field advantage and the greatest Offensive Line in Seattle.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Nothinbutm":24dsn6wq said:
Fade":24dsn6wq said:

I'm inclined to agree with this.

Maybe, but Mike Holmgren never would have created those rosters in the first place. His philosophy is completely different.

Fade

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":7wo4pv38 said:
Nothinbutm":7wo4pv38 said:
Fade":7wo4pv38 said:

Maybe, but Mike Holmgren never would have created those rosters in the first place. His philosophy is completely different.

So Holmy ships out Kam, Sherm, & ET. KJ & Bobby get jettisoned, etc. I don't thinks so.

The problem Holmy had was he couldn't build a defense.

Plop Holmgren down on the '12 Seahawks the defense is already built. He just has to worry about developing a rookie QB in RW. Which would have gone fantastically imo, because that is what Holmgren's expertise was.

The head scratching decisions of trading for Harvin, trading away Unger, ect. Go away too, as we all know Holmgren was very conventional. He wouldn't do weird things like starting Drew Nowak at Center. Or go crazy young across the entire O-Line.

Sure over time the defense would have eroded at a quicker pace with Carroll no longer at the helm, but on the flip side the offense would've gotten better & better. RW would have a couple MVPs and the team would have more Superbowls.

Holmgren wins at least 2 minimum, very confident he wins 3.

Holmgren won with Ruskell & Whitsitt as his GM. Let's see Pete Carroll do that.

Schneider bodies both of those losers.

Holmgren > Pete Carroll.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Fade":1lflvcqs said:
Ad Hawk":1lflvcqs said:
Nothinbutm":1lflvcqs said:
Fade":1lflvcqs said:

So Holmy ships out Kam, Sherm, & ET. KJ & Bobby get jettisoned, etc. I don't thinks so.

The problem Holmy had was he couldn't build a defense.

Plop Holmgren down on the '12 Seahawks the defense is already built. He just has to worry about developing a rookie QB in RW. Which would have gone fantastically imo, because that is what Holmgren's expertise was.

The head scratching decisions of trading for Harvin, trading away Unger, ect. Go away too, as we all know Holmgren was very conventional. He wouldn't do weird things like starting Drew Nowak at Center. Or go crazy young across the entire O-Line.

Sure over time the defense would have eroded at a quicker pace with Carroll no longer at the helm, but on the flip side the offense would've gotten better & better. RW would have a couple MVPs and the team would have more Superbowls.

Holmgren wins at least 2 minimum, very confident he wins 3.

Holmgren won with Ruskell & Whitsitt as his GM. Let's see Pete Carroll do that.

Schneider bodies both of those losers.

Holmgren > Pete Carroll.

You misread me. I said he never would have created those rosters in the first place.

If he inherited them? Well, I have my doubts about any coach willingly leaving with that roster. But say Pete died and Holmgren took over... it's hard to know, but he would never have stood for our O-line and running game, so he may have gotten rid of some D in order to get some O.

Fade

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2dc2crqs said:
You misread me. I said he never would have created those rosters in the first place.

If he inherited them? Well, I have my doubts about any coach willingly leaving with that roster. But say Pete died and Holmgren took over... it's hard to know, but he would never have stood for our O-line and running game, so he may have gotten rid of some D in order to get some O.

Line them up

'12-'16

Pete Carroll wins 1 superbowl.

Now give Holmgren the same shot.

How many does Holmgren win?