Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks defensive tackle Poona Ford impresses in 2nd presea

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I think a lot of us fans knew this early on. This guy's ability stands out, and I don't understand why he was an UDFA...oh that's right...too short.

Seahawks defensive tackle Poona Ford impresses in 2nd preseason game

"Ford is competing for a job as an interior defensive lineman and his performance in Saturday’s 24-14 loss to the Chargers certainly helped his cause. Ford had four combined tackles, one run stop and one QB pressure.

His 84.7 grade from Pro Football Focus ranked No. 10 out of 100 interior defensive linemen last week."

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... ason-game/
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• I am rooting hard for him as I am a Longhorns fan. Plus.... because he is badass!

I REALLY want to see him on the 53.
    It was a catch.
    SeaMeat
    NET Veteran

• Hope he makes the team as with some seasoning and coaching he could in fact be, "badass".
    I think he makes the preactice squad and when injury bug hits an interior D lineman he'll get his chance.
    The Hawks gotta protect him on the 53 or PS. I don't think they want to see him kicking OUR butts in a year or two.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter

• We do not have a true NT that's stout enough to take on and anchor against double teams on a run play. He'll definitely rotate with Reed on run downs.

I said this previously, this is a really talented DL. It's up to our Line coach and Norton to let these guys know what their role is and make sure they play within the system.

Way too early, but this is looking like a solid rookie class. Penny, Dissly, Green, Martin, Griffin, Flowers and Ford...
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

• truehawksfan wrote:We do not have a true NT that's stout enough to take on and anchor against double teams on a run play. He'll definitely rotate with Reed on run downs.

I said this previously, this is a really talented DL. It's up to our Line coach and Norton to let these guys know what their role is and make sure they play within the system.

Way too early, but this is looking like a solid rookie class. Penny, Dissly, Green, Martin, Griffin, Flowers and Ford... and especially Michael Dickson

FIFY
    NET Veteran

• I'd be shocked if he doesn't make the 53. I believe the DL will be look this after the final cuts -
    DT - Reed, Jones, Johnson, Stephen, Ford
    DE - Clark, Green, Jefferson, Jackson, Jordan (PUP)
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Jared Stranger and Davis Hsu seems to think its going to be difficult for him to make the roster due to numbers at that position.

They seem to think Branden Jackson may not make the team and the Seahawks go with 5 DT instead of 5 DE's. Assuming Green does well playing with the 1's in the next couple of games.

Seen others who aren't convinced by Jaran Reed, okay at most things but doesn't excel at much either.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• If they choose to waive Ford at the cut down, I don’t believe he will make it to the practice squad without being claimed by another team.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• truehawksfan wrote:
    Way too early, but this is looking like a solid rookie class. Penny, Dissly, Green, Martin, Griffin, Flowers and Ford...

You have missed mentioning Dickson and Jones. Dickson looks to be a very special addition to the Hawks Special teams, while Jones was looking to be an interesting add at OT until he got hurt.

I also think Ford could be the UDFA steal of the season for the team, but time alone will tell the real story. Lots of young players flash early against reserves in competition but struggle when real bullets start to fly.

Meanwhile our ten year punter just was replaced by a rookie who has been amazing in his first 2 preseason games.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• We have 5 DTs who are looking very good (we usually keep only four):

Jarran Reed
    Tom Johnson
    Shamar Stephen
    Nazair Jones
    Poona Ford

I wonder if Johnson, Stephen, or Jones could play some 5T. Branden Jackson has been getting most of the first team reps, but he hasn't done much. Using Stephen at 5T could be like how they used Red Bryant in the glory years.

DEs
    Frank Clark
    Rasheem Green
    Quinton Jefferson
    Dion Jordan (Carroll thinks he has a chance to return by Week 1, though his doctors' timeline has him out longer)
    Jacob Martin (really hope we can keep him too)

10 DL seems like a lot. However, they did roll with 10 defensive linemen in 2013 (and we know how that turned out). DL depth is critical.

2017 DL: 7
    2016 DL: 8
    2015 DL: 9
    2014 DL: 9
    2013 DL: 10
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Pete Carroll is dumb if he keeps old man Johnson over 4 yrs of team control Poona Ford. Keep both and scrimp elsewhere, or cut the old man if you have no other choice. Johnson is a rental, Poona is 4 ever (4 yrs) at a stupidly cheap price. (RFA in yr 4).

You don't cut good young players to keep old JAGs, that is how you get worse.

Poona will be claimed by another team if cut. He won't be on the practice squad.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Or we could wait to see how it plays out? Still a couple weeks of ball to play, fingers crossed we don't add more injuries etc.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Fade wrote:Pete Carroll is dumb if he keeps old man Johnson over 4 yrs of team control Poona Ford. Keep both and scrimp elsewhere, or cut the old man if you have no other choice. Johnson is a rental, Poona is 4 ever (4 yrs) at a stupidly cheap price. (RFA in yr 4).

Poona will be claimed by another team if cut. He won't be on the practice squad.

This is pretty much what Mike Salk was saying the other day. If it comes down to a young player showing a little bit less on the field, he will improve with time, so you keep him and get rid of the "rental" (Fade's term).

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• TreeRon wrote:Hope he makes the team as with some seasoning and coaching he could in fact be, "badass".
    I think he makes the preactice squad and when injury bug hits an interior D lineman he'll get his chance.
    The Hawks gotta protect him on the 53 or PS. I don't think they want to see him kicking OUR butts in a year or two.

"protect" and "PS" do not go together. Players on the practice squad are fair game for other teams to poach. And that assumes he even makes it to the PS as he would have to clear waivers first.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Essentially then if he doesn't make the 53 the Seahawks have auditioned Ford for the rest of the NFL.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter

• I re-watched the game last night, on a run play, he shoved the RG back, jettisoned him, and wrapped up the RB, rolling like a crocodile with a deer in it's mouth! :D

He had a lot of "splash plays" where his push got the other DL some room to attack. I LOVE this kid. He's my "Adopt-A-Rookie."

Pete better not cut him, or I'm going to cry like a little baby :cry:

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• ivotuk wrote:
    Fade wrote:Pete Carroll is dumb if he keeps old man Johnson over 4 yrs of team control Poona Ford. Keep both and scrimp elsewhere, or cut the old man if you have no other choice. Johnson is a rental, Poona is 4 ever (4 yrs) at a stupidly cheap price. (RFA in yr 4).

This is pretty much what Mike Salk was saying the other day. If it comes down to a young player showing a little bit less on the field, he will improve with time, so you keep him and get rid of the "rental" (Fade's term).

Poona has flashed against 4th-string camp bodies who won't be on any roster in two months' time. He's hardly shown more than the very kind of vet camp body we went to the SB with.

I like Poona, but whether he's Nick Reed or Michael Bennett still remains to be seen.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:
    Fade wrote:Pete Carroll is dumb if he keeps old man Johnson over 4 yrs of team control Poona Ford. Keep both and scrimp elsewhere, or cut the old man if you have no other choice. Johnson is a rental, Poona is 4 ever (4 yrs) at a stupidly cheap price. (RFA in yr 4).

Poona has flashed against 4th-string camp bodies who won't be on any roster in two months' time. He's hardly shown more than the very kind of vet camp body we went to the SB with.

I like Poona, but whether he's Nick Reed or Michael Bennett still remains to be seen.

He reminds me of Mebane.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information