Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

What, Me Worry?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: What, Me Worry?
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:19 am
  • Look at the offensive roster:

QB - Wilson

WR - Marshall
    WR - Baldwin
    WR - Lockett
    WR - Brown

WR Moore
    WR Stringfellow (PS)

RB Carson
    RB Penny
    RB McKissic

FB - ?

TE - ?

OL - :(

Okay so the OL is iffy but Wilson has been working without a good line most of his career.

That is a loaded offense though. TE is weak and FB is apparently some guy we found on Football Tinder but the rest is tremendously dangerous.

There is no way that even with an iffy defense (and iffy is likely) that we should be looking at 4 wins or even close. This is going to be a very good offense with the capacity to be great. We just are not going to be the best team every week or have the best roster anymore. There are going to be some teams we will be outclassed by and have little chance beating. But for the most part, this team will be in a position to win more than half its games.

As Greg pointed out, expectations make sense here. We will win enough games to be worth watching. We probably won't be a playoff threat. We had our run and it will take some changes to open the door again. But the Saints did it and so did the Packers. You can be out of it for a year or two, get a few pieces, get a great draft and suddenly be back to one of the better teams.

The bigger challenge is we will get thinner after Wilson gets his contract. It will probably be a few years after that before the ship gets righted. We just have to be patient.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:40 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:
    That is a loaded offense though. TE is weak and FB is apparently some guy we found on Football Tinder but the rest is tremendously dangerous.

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with Vannett and Dissly, two HUGE blocking bodies that can catch the ball.

Ed Dickson? Meh, I don't even think he makes the team.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:02 am
  • Good stuff Greg. As far as expectations? I expect to win no less than 8 games this year. I *think* we will win 9 or 10 games with a shot for the wildcard. But right now our defense is going to give up a lot of points this year so our offense better put up 30 average to win week in and week out.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:06 am
  • I'm encouraged by how our offense looks. At times we've seen them struggle really badly in the preseason, and it was a precursor for bad things in the regular season. This game, we moved the ball almost at will, but mistakes held us back. Also keep in mind that the Chargers were the #1 team in the red zone last year, allowing TD's only 36% of red zone possessions.

RT has me a bit worried. On one hand, Ingram is one of the best pass rushers in the league and he makes a lot of people look bad. On the other, Ifedi has had time to acclimate to the NFL. Granted, he has had almost all of his tenure under Cable, who is either unwilling or incapable of coaching up an average NFL pass protection squad. My one hope is that once Solari gets some time with him, he can improve, because he just looked bad last game...competition withstanding.

Our secondary looks a bit soft, but I expected that. With as many young guys as we have, it's going to start out bad and hopefully improve. Hopefully coaching can make something of this because outside of a couple of guys, we literally have no one that can coach up young players on the field.

Our DL looks like it could really be something. Usually DL takes a year to really pick up. We've seen this guys look borderline dominant in pass rush, even though it's just preseason. Plus we haven't seen a lot of Clark yet, which should improve the squad. We not only look talented, but deep. Might be the most talented position group on the team.

OL is looking better overall. If Pocic can improve, we have a solid left side of the line. RG isn't great. I'd like to see Roos get more reps this preseason to see what's going on with him. Sweezy could likely come in and play at a league average level. RT looks to be a mystery right now. But with continuity and better coaching, we could have a league average squad, which is a HUGE improvement.

I think Wilson is going to have a stellar year. We have a good mix of large WRs that can make 50/50 catches, and fast guys that can stretch the field. Then we have guys like Baldwin that can get open at will. Then we have large guys that can stretch the field. Wilson is going to have some good young talent to throw to, and if he gets an improved running game and better protection he's going to light it up. He's going to need to because....

We're going to have to outscore people the first half of the season. I think it's imperative for us to get our run game solidified because the defense is going to need some time to rest and make adjustments.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:08 am
  • Good points on the offense. I like the tempo and the aggressive nature. Hopefully that continues, and hopefully we see a lot of screen passes to the RB's. Let them do their thing in open space.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:15 pm
  • I rewatched the game it really wasn't as bad as I thought. The offense moved the ball well , Carson looked great with one exception. The defense only gave up 14 points. Were used to our backup QB's playing well and Austin has flat out sucked so far this preseason. Alex has outplayed him . All of that said Denver is a tough game 1 for any team. Seattle is going to have to win the turnover battle if were going to have a chance to win there. Carson is legit I don't think they will be able to shut him down so we'll have a chance.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:19 pm
  • And only 7 points given up by the Defense in the first half. The other 7 was on that punt return.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:25 pm
  • I forgot to mention Brown and Moore there both upgrades over what we had last year. Baldwin Brown Moore locket is the best starting WR rotation Seattle's had since the super bowl. I still haven't seen Marshall do much yet hopefully he will.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:08 pm
  • The offense will improve and not me quite so helpless, we will no longer be a joke on the ground and will get some big plays, but high offensive production isn't in Pete's DNA is my worry (maybe just me). He wants to possess the ball and limit opponents with defense. He's going to go into games with that mentality until opposing offenses whip our D and force him out of it. Then we will scramble to dig out of a hole.

I could be way off. It's been so long since I've seen solid offense from this team. Maybe we will get the running game and PA working and be able to do whatever we want.

It'll be really interesting to see how or if Pete adjusts to having what we think could be his first poor defense here.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:35 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:The offense will improve and not me quite so helpless, we will no longer be a joke on the ground and will get some big plays, but high offensive production isn't in Pete's DNA is my worry (maybe just me). He wants to possess the ball and limit opponents with defense. He's going to go into games with that mentality until opposing offenses whip our D and force him out of it. Then we will scramble to dig out of a hole.

I could be way off. It's been so long since I've seen solid offense from this team. Maybe we will get the running game and PA working and be able to do whatever we want.

It'll be really interesting to see how or if Pete adjusts to having what we think could be his first poor defense here.

If Pete keeps his hands off of it.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:48 pm
  • This team has all the horses to be a great offense.

Yes the OL is lacking.

But the QB is perfectly suited to that weakness.

If we fail to produce in spite of that? That becomes the direct result of a flawed coaching directive.

That said, the death of this crap will be fine:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattufford ... st-quarter

I would take a few losses extra per year if we could actually field an actual, effective offense in the 1st half.

This season will be the indicator if the offensive problems were Bevell or need to be pinned on Carroll. I am hoping to God that Carroll is not the cause of that.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 pm
  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:I rewatched the game

This is how real analysis is done. Relying on one's first impressions is not something this board's better analysts ever let themselves do.

Yes, the game was better than originally thought. Most people are remembering Carson's (rare) fumble, Ifedi (ok, that was bad), and not much else.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Previous

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information