Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

What, Me Worry?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
What, Me Worry?
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:40 pm
  • Okay, so this wasn't the best game we could have drawn up. In fact, most of the game kinda sucked. But there were highlights no question. Remember...IT'S PRESEASON. That's right, take a deep breath.

The first team offense showed serious potential. Russell was Russell...And like the broadcasters mentioned, the most underrated aspect of Russel's game is his ability to throw one of the best deep balls in the league. That ability was on display when he threw that gorgeous ball early (I can't recall to who)...

Despite that fumble on the 1 yard line (UGH!) Carson looked like the REAL DEAL. Damn, I mean it. Hard running, and our starting OL provided some lanes. Over all, even though we settled for field goals on our first string offense, there was a sense that they are going to be okay this year. Fool's Gold? We shall see, but despite the lack of TD's, I just feel our offense is going to be okay.

Now our starting defense?

Hmmm... Mixed bag. Now keep in mind, for whatever reason, the Chargers always seem to have our number, especially with Rivers running the show. At first I was livid when they marched down the field on us at will to score their first TD, but then I thought, "You know what? This is precisely what our rooks need." What a great lesson for our young players...Rivers is one of the best if not most underrated QBs today.

I admit, part of me was in mid-season form, yelling at the TV. Then I caught myself, remembered that this is a whole new football team. A new era. Patience is mandatory.

I am working on it.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: What, Me Worry?
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:19 am
  • I’m worried about the defense. Our linebacking crew outside of Quem last week has looked bad, and that includes Bobby and KJ. I think the offense is going to have to carry this team this year.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:21 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I’m worried about the defense. Our linebacking crew outside of Quem last week has looked bad, and that includes Bobby and KJ. I think the offense is going to have to carry this team this year.

Yeah, I vividly remember a Melvin Gordon run that Bobby had a chance to stop for minimal gain, but Gordon left him grasping at air. Hopefully he's just taking it a bit easier since it's preseason. The LB corp has to be the strength of the defense this year so I hope to see them stuff Dalvin Cook and company next week.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:22 am
  • Good post, boss. Some bright spots. The offense is going to have to score lots of points this year.

One observation that really bothers me: Delano Hill looks awful. Slow to react, out of position constantly, uninspired, and always coming up short. If last night is indicative of what he is, he's not going to be on this team.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:26 am
  • The game did end....so there is that. :twisted: :stirthepot:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:05 am
  • Traditionally when we do poorly in a preseason game it means the depth is poor. in our case its inexperienced.

David Moore and Jerome Brown....... :drool:

I would like to see Ken Norton Jr a little more animated when we are getting torched bye scrubs.

Some teams have their s together already......yeah.......I will worry. Then it will be RW Time in the reg season.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:00 am
  • I think the team has quietly put together some exciting young players on offense with very little draft capital. I know it's popular for the media to bury this team now, but they're going to be a really tough out with Wilson, Carson, an improved OL, along with Dickson helping our young defense.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:50 am
  • That was a miserable game. Thank God, it’s only preseason.

The Good
    WRs Jaron Brown and David Moore were phenominal, in place of Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett.

DE Rasheem Green stockpiled several pressures, four QB hits, 1.5 sacks, and did a nice job keeping outside leverage against the run, continuing an impressive start to his rookie campaign.

NT Poona Ford looked very good this preseason for the second time in two games. He maintained great leverage and broke into the backfield a couple times.

Michael Dickson was the star of the show. Shaquem Griffin looked good on special teams.

The Bad
    The offensive line took a step back. RT Germain Ifedi once again showed why he is not well suited for the OT position against outside pass rushers. But with injuries to Jamarco Jones and Isaiah Battle, and because the position is mostly foreign to already struggling George Fant, options at RT are limited. Willie Beavers played some RT, but he too regressed from the first game. The even bigger worry is the RG position, where D.J. Fluker struggled before leaving the game with yet another injury (this one to his finger). Jordan Roos came in and played horribly at RG, which was a huge disappointment for me. This puts even more pressure on J.R. Sweezy to return in time for Week 1.

The young safeties, Tedric Thompson and Delano Hill, were a step too late on numerous occasions. The defense is certainly missing the impact of a premier playmaker like Earl Thomas.

The Ugly
    Bobby Wagner still looked rusty, playing as bad as he did in last year’s loss to the Rams, even though he’s reportedly healthy now. He was making some bad reads, taking poor angles, and filling the wrong gaps. His tackling was not where it needs to be.

Chris Carson’s fumble and sluggish running after the first couple drives soured what started as a brilliant day for him. Tre Madden’s run blocking was just ugly, and he’s our only option at FB.
    Last edited by hawknation2018 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:50 am
  • The defense doesn't worry me so much. We have a lot of young guys and young defenses, if talented, eventually come around.

What does worry me this year is the same thing that worried me last year. Ifedi is eventually going to get Russ killed.
    That guy is absolute garbage. I hated Ifedi last year and I hate hating anybody, so I was holding out hope that maybe, just maybe, it was Cable's coaching and zone scheme that didn't fit Ifedi making him look so bad.

I focused on him each offensive snap this game and, NOPE, It's just him. He sucks. He whiff's so much that I have to assume he's guessing. With his slow first step he has to. If he guesses outside rush and the defender actually goes outside rush and doesn't change speed or direction until Ifedi gets his hands locked on him he does ok. But if the defender cuts back after the first step it's all over. Even if the guy gives a little wiggle but still goes the way Ifedi guessed he can't recover.

All that's if the defender doesn't decide to just go straight through him. First quarter, second and goal Ifedi gets trucked, falls flat on his keyster and the defender has a straight line to Russ. Russ of course did his Houdini thing but it messed up the timing of the play. And eventually Russ won't see one coming. The one sack last night was because Ifedi's guy came free. (AGAIN!)

And he's still whiffing on run blocks! Seriously how does a OL end up on his belly with his guy in the backfield on a goal line play? There's no gap to split! That's just straight up suckage. Though the run blocking doesn't put Russ in danger it leads to more second and or third and longs. And that's where my real worry is.

If Ifedi is our starting tackle all season I hope you liked last year. Ugh...
    TasteTheBeastmode
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 am
  • I agree. Ifedi is freaking garbage. No other way to put it. No amount of teaching is going to change that between now and Game 1 of the regular season.

And that scares me. Our right side of the line is GARBAGE. And oh, by the way, guess which side of the line Von Miller lines up on?

:34853_doh:

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:29 am
  • I think there is cause for concern with Germain Ifedi. To my eyes he looks to be losing confidence and may be on the verge of giving up. His feet can't quite keep up with pure speed rushes even though he owns the inside of the turn. His base narrows and his balance deteriorates.

Solari has a real challenge on his hands.

EDIT: With regards to the Chargers, I think they have excellent depth and are well along on putting their 2018 team together. The Chargers were a good pre-season match up.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:57 am
  • On a positive, Prosise is still intact, so miracles can happen. :lol:

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:10 am
  • PS, I still think Vannett is taking up a roster spot.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:40 am
  • Aros wrote:On a positive, Prosise is still intact, so miracles can happen. :lol:

I wondered if he played. Must have not been paying attention when they put him in. How did he look?
    MO Hawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:47 am
  • Teams have a way of running a short round and turning back just past our LBs but in front of our DBs picking up 8-10 yards. This was a problem last year and I wondered of our new DC would find a solution for that?

Receivers are going to be hard to decide who makes the team. With Baldwin and Locket out we still looked pretty good.

DL not bad, but will Dion play this year?

DB's young and still trying to figure each other out. Played not too bad considering who they were up agains as a QB in the first 2 quarters.

OC - Shottenheimer - He seems to be falling for the same thing Bevell did in abandoning the running game too early and using RW's elusive speed instead of running the plan, the plan being Pete's stated goal of improving the running game and becoming more balanced. Balanced is not what we were last night. I would like to have seen our Run vs. Pass be a little more balanced.
    MO Hawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:55 am
  • MO Hawk wrote:
    Aros wrote:On a positive, Prosise is still intact, so miracles can happen. :lol:

I wondered if he played. Must have not been paying attention when they put him in. How did he look?

He played a lot in the 2nd half, mostly in the 4th quarter. In the first half, Mike Davis was getting a lot of reps ahead of him in the 3rd down back role.

Prosise’s first carry was awesome with a nice spin move and exploding through a couple defenders. He seemed to go down a bit more easily on his next two carries. He also caught six short passes but didn’t do much after the catch. I was underwhelmed, except for that first run.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:14 am
  • MO Hawk wrote:Teams have a way of running a short round and turning back just past our LBs but in front of our DBs picking up 8-10 yards. This was a problem last year and I wondered of our new DC would find a solution for that?

Receivers are going to be hard to decide who makes the team. With Baldwin and Locket out we still looked pretty good.

DB's young and still trying to figure each other out. Played not too bad considering who they were up agains as a QB in the first 2 quarters.

OC - Shottenheimer - He seems to be falling for the same thing Bevell did in abandoning the running game too early and using RW's elusive speed instead of running the plan, the plan being Pete's stated goal of improving the running game and becoming more balanced. Balanced is not what we were last night. I would like to have seen our Run vs. Pass be a little more balanced.

I kind of wondered about all the deep balls last night. It just seemed contrary to the mantra that they want to establish the run. I rewatched the first half this morning. It looked to me like they are using the pass to set up the run. On The very first play from scrimmage, RW hit Brown on a nice play fake that the defense bit on. Carson had some very nice runs. I’m actually feeling very good about the defense. I have denial about how bad Ifedi is and it’s helping my thought process.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:07 pm
  • Aros wrote:I agree. Ifedi is freaking garbage. No other way to put it. No amount of teaching is going to change that between now and Game 1 of the regular season.

And that scares me. Our right side of the line is GARBAGE. And oh, by the way, guess which side of the line Von Miller lines up on?

:34853_doh:

No doubt. It's painful to watch Ifedi.

I'm just glad nobody in our division has an effective pass rush.....

Oh wait..gulp.
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:21 pm
  • Receivers -

Brown and Moore looked special last night. Not "preseason" special, but truly players who could compete for the 53. It will be interesting to see who pans out as our final WRs.

On Too Much Passing -

I think this plays more into the preseason thing than any tendency we might see come the regular season. While it's a mild headscratcher to see them still flinging it down the field, I think it's a smoke screen. Come Week 1, I bet we're going to see a heavy dose of running to set up play action, not the other way around.

Defense -

Definitely my main concern going into the regular season. I hate to admit but I am following the narrative. Too many HoF-level players lost without it causing a serious dip. There WILL be major growing pains. We just have to deal with it. I think the talent is there but it is greeeeeeeen. I think that opening drive by Rivers was a wake up call. Get used to being scored on this year.

Vannett, Prosise and Ifedi -

I will be the first to admit I might be wrong on Vannett but I have a feeling he's hot garbage. Yes he can catch the occasional ball and look decent. But that drop in the endzone is more telling to his ability than those occasional grabs. Just a gut feeling. As for Ifedi, I am quite positive: He's hot garbage. Prosise? This is his last shot. If (when) he gets injured again, he's done.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:40 pm
  • Aros wrote:Receivers -

Brown and Moore looked special last night. Not "preseason" special, but truly players who could compete for the 53. It will be interesting to see who pans out as our final WRs.

On Too Much Passing -

I think this plays more into the preseason thing than any tendency we might see come the regular season. While it's a mild headscratcher to see them still flinging it down the field, I think it's a smoke screen. Come Week 1, I bet we're going to see a heavy dose of running to set up play action, not the other way around.

Defense -

Definitely my main concern going into the regular season. I hate to admit but I am following the narrative. Too many HoF-level players lost without it causing a serious dip. There WILL be major growing pains. We just have to deal with it. I think the talent is there but it is greeeeeeeen. I think that opening drive by Rivers was a wake up call. Get used to being scored on this year.

Vannett, Prosise and Ifedi -

I will be the first to admit I might be wrong on Vannett but I have a feeling he's hot garbage. Yes he can catch the occasional ball and look decent. But that drop in the endzone is more telling to his ability than those occasional grabs. Just a gut feeling. As for Ifedi, I am quite positive: He's hot garbage. Prosise? This is his last shot. If (when) he gets injured again, he's done.

Vannett is crap ..He's had years to show something,we have replacements for him.
    Ifedi is a bust and it's time to move on,these things happen as you can't draft right all the
    time.
    Mr.Glass?He's still around???
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:48 pm
  • For what it is worth, the story line on Vannett is that he was plagued by back problems in each of his first two years. In an interview, he stated he has worked on strengthening his back and core. He stated he feels better now than at any time previously.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:24 pm
  • I can already see a few problem areas for the Seahawks this season. It is clear that this is a deeply flawed team that has many holes, both on offense and defense.

The main problem on offense is the right side of the line. This is going to be a problem the whole season. Fluker is a good runblocker, but an awful pass blocker, and Ifedi is showing no progress. In fact, in some ways he looks worse than he did last season. Technique wise he is doing everything wrong. He is bending at the back, his footwork is getting all tied up and he is exploited by pass rushers that have good technique regularly. Maybe they should try switching Fluker and Ifedi, Fluker to RT, Ifedi to RG, see if that makes any difference. Fluker actually played better at RT at NY. He still was a bad at pass blocking, but he certainly was not as bad as Ifedi is. Another point of contention with Ifedi is, in many cases he wasn't even getting a hand on the guy in the run game. Sometimes he would just be standing there. He looks confused. One thing is clear to me, Ifedi is not a RT, and he does not belong there.

Running back health. Carson, and Procise are injury problems, Penny is banged up already as well. Finger issues are a bit tricky, they can be season long problems if the fracture was bad enough. Don't think this is the case with Penny, but it is worth watching none the less.

Tight End production. Schottenheimer likes to run two tight end sets, even on passing plays. Unfortunately none of our TE's are exactly known for being great pass catchers.

On defense the problem is much more dire.

Our defense does not have much depth, and our starters at FS and SS are a concern. Tedric Thompson and Delano Hill both are looking really rough. They're getting torched by everyone, and even in run support they don't look great. Their backups don't look much better either. I'm really confused as to why we didn't even take a look a Reid in the draft. We knew at least Chancellor was going to be gone, and that we were actively shopping Thomas. To me Thompson and Delano Hill as you contingency plans is not ideal in any sense of the word.

CB, we have Maxwell whom played okay in a pinch for us last season, and Griffin who looks like outstanding young talent. Maxwell and Flowers are a concern, especially with our questionable safeties behind them. Flowers, like Maxwell last season has looked like a mixed bag.

Defensive line looks like an issue. They were bullied all game long and last game they didn't look too hot against the run either. This is the unit I think that will improve the most over the season, there is some talent I really like on the D-Line.

If we want to do anything this season I suspect that we're going to have to be a more offensively oriented team. The defense looks like a hot dumpster fire at the moment, and it is lacking depth in key areas. On the offense, oddly enough I feel there aren't as many holes, and we have a great Quarterback. Our running game has also looked decent. I really hope Carroll plays to this teams strength, which clearly looks to be our passing game at the moment. Moore, and Brown have looked great, and Marshall looks like he can still contribute. Doug Baldwin is of course Doug Baldwin, the Steve Smith clone. Unfortunately I don't think Carroll or Schottenheimer will do this, both are very stubborn about sticking to their game plan. I think what we need is a quick hit passing game like we saw demonstrated against the Colts with our right side of the line being in question. Unfortunately in this game, Schottenheimer looked like he was trying to do his best Bevell impersonation.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:32 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:I can already see a few problem areas for the Seahawks this season. It is clear that this is a deeply flawed team that has many holes, both on offense and defense.

The main problem on offense is the right side of the line. This is going to be a problem the whole season. Fluker is a good runblocker, but an awful pass blocker, and Ifedi is showing no progress. In fact, in some ways he looks worse than he did last season. Technique wise he is doing everything wrong. He is bending at the back, his footwork is getting all tied up and he is exploited by pass rushers that have good technique regularly. Maybe they should try switching Fluker and Ifedi, Fluker to RT, Ifedi to RG, see if that makes any difference. Fluker actually played better at RT at NY. He still was a bad at pass blocking, but he certainly was not as bad as Ifedi is. Another point of contention with Ifedi is, in many cases he wasn't even getting a hand on the guy in the run game. Sometimes he would just be standing there. He looks confused. One thing is clear to me, Ifedi is not a RT, and he does not belong there.

Running back health. Carson, and Procise are injury problems, Penny is banged up already as well. Finger issues are a bit tricky, they can be season long problems if the fracture was bad enough. Don't think this is the case with Penny, but it is worth watching none the less.

Tight End production. Schottenheimer likes to run two tight end sets, even on passing plays. Unfortunately none of our TE's are exactly known for being great pass catchers.

On defense the problem is much more dire.

Our defense does not have much depth, and our starters at FS and SS are a concern. Tedric Thompson and Delano Hill both are looking really rough. They're getting torched by everyone, and even in run support they don't look great. Their backups don't look much better either. I'm really confused as to why we didn't even take a look a Reid in the draft. We knew at least Chancellor was going to be gone, and that we were actively shopping Thomas. To me Thompson and Delano Hill as you contingency plans is not ideal in any sense of the word.

CB, we have Maxwell whom played okay in a pinch for us last season, and Griffin who looks like outstanding young talent. Maxwell and Flowers are a concern, especially with our questionable safeties behind them. Flowers, like Maxwell last season has looked like a mixed bag.

Defensive line looks like an issue. They were bullied all game long and last game they didn't look too hot against the run either. This is the unit I think that will improve the most over the season, there is some talent I really like on the D-Line.

If we want to do anything this season I suspect that we're going to have to be a more offensively oriented team. The defense looks like a hot dumpster fire at the moment, and it is lacking depth in key areas. On the offense, oddly enough I feel there aren't as many holes, and we have a great Quarterback. Our running game has also looked decent. I really hope Carroll plays to this teams strength, which clearly looks to be our passing game at the moment. Moore, and Brown have looked great, and Marshall looks like he can still contribute. Doug Baldwin is of course Doug Baldwin, the Steve Smith clone. Unfortunately I don't think Carroll or Schottenheimer will do this, both are very stubborn about sticking to their game plan. I think what we need is a quick hit passing game like we saw demonstrated against the Colts with our right side of the line being in question. Unfortunately in this game, Schottenheimer looked like he was trying to do his best Bevell impersonation.

McDougald, I thought, played well.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:07 pm

• Bobby and K.J. have both been sleep walking through this preseason.

In some ways, it is actually comforting to know that the two biggest issues with the first team defense have come from our two very best defensive players, in failing to fill their lanes properly. Once they return to form, the defense will certainly improve.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:11 pm
  • I actually think they ran too much haha. Carson looked good, except at the goal line. We haven't "punched one in" from the goal line since our playoff win against Detroit a year and a half ago. It sucks how Brock was saying how important it would be for Pete to run it in to reclaim our tough, physical, running identity and how the result was a disaster. I would've preferred testing Marshall's viability in the RZ on the play after Carson was stuffed, but there should be more opportunities for that.

The other play that annoyed me was running it on 2nd and 12. That should be a pass play every time unless the defensive alignment is screaming weakness against the run. Again, hopefully they're just testing stuff.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:00 pm
  • I'm not too worried about our DLine...yet because it not the talent.

Green showed up again. He's the real deal. We didn't see Clark in TC or the 1st preseason game and showed up. And, others Stephen, Johnson, Jones, Reed, Ford, Jefferson broke thru to get behind the line, but they couldn't finish the play as the QB scrambled up the middle for big yards. Or, they would rush upfield, basically running themselves out of the play creating big holes and big runs by their RB.

I hope PC and Norton have narrowed their list of players who'll make the team. Players need to know their assignment, gap control, play within the system, when they'll rotate in based on down/distance, etc. And, I hope they do this in game 3 because everyone is just doing whatever it takes to get behind the line regardless of their assignment. There's a lot of talent, it's time to play within the system.

Now, I'll panic if we see the same issues next week....
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:23 pm
  • Aros wrote:Okay, so this wasn't the best game we could have drawn up. In fact, most of the game kinda sucked. But there were highlights no question. Remember...IT'S PRESEASON. That's right, take a deep breath.

The first team offense showed serious potential. Russell was Russell...And like the broadcasters mentioned, the most underrated aspect of Russel's game is his ability to throw one of the best deep balls in the league. That ability was on display when he threw that gorgeous ball early (I can't recall to who)...

Despite that fumble on the 1 yard line (UGH!) Carson looked like the REAL DEAL. Damn, I mean it. Hard running, and our starting OL provided some lanes. Over all, even though we settled for field goals on our first string offense, there was a sense that they are going to be okay this year. Fool's Gold? We shall see, but despite the lack of TD's, I just feel our offense is going to be okay.

Now our starting defense?

Hmmm... Mixed bag. Now keep in mind, for whatever reason, the Chargers always seem to have our number, especially with Rivers running the show. At first I was livid when they marched down the field on us at will to score their first TD, but then I thought, "You know what? This is precisely what our rooks need." What a great lesson for our young players...Rivers is one of the best if not most underrated QBs today.

I admit, part of me was in mid-season form, yelling at the TV. Then I caught myself, remembered that this is a whole new football team. A new era. Patience is mandatory.

I am working on it.

Reasonable post but GREAT spin. Are you in public relations?

...jk, it's just too early to draw any real conclusions.
    There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

- Darius Rucker
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:38 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:Good post, boss. Some bright spots. The offense is going to have to score lots of points this year.

One observation that really bothers me: Delano Hill looks awful. Slow to react, out of position constantly, uninspired, and always coming up short. If last night is indicative of what he is, he's not going to be on this team.

He will never be a starter that is for sure. Special Teams wise apparently he is good. If he makes the team it will be for that reason.

You can cross him off the list though as a potential starter, ever.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:43 pm
  • Fade wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:Good post, boss. Some bright spots. The offense is going to have to score lots of points this year.

He will never be a starter that is for sure. Special Teams wise apparently he is good. If he makes the team it will be for that reason.

You can cross him off the list though as a potential starter, ever.

Hill has looked really bad on special teams, too. Missed tackles and sluggish pursuit.

The rise of Lorenzo Jerome could very well knock Hill off the roster.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:06 pm
  • -- The team definitely needs a FB that can be a sledge hammer. I'm sick of these dudes that play patty cake in the hole.

-- Pete, Schotty, & Norton need to figure out what the hell they are doing on 3rd down. I saw a completely unprepared team on both sides of the ball, on the most important down.

-- Pete is overvaluing the 2 veteran DTs he picked up from MINNE, all they did was get blown off the ball repeatedly. More Poona Ford & more Naz Jones please.

-- Ifedi is actually worse than he was last year. Claim the first RT that comes along on waivers, and it will be an upgrade.

-- The O-Line has no depth.

-- Norton scares the hell out of me. Down in OAK his defenses couldn't get turnovers to save their lives. It is looking the same here. Pete is going to have to step in and be more involved with the D than ever before. It's early, but it isn't looking good for Norton.

-- Austin Davis is no bueno.

-- I hope Pete realizes he is going to have to play offense for 4 qtrs. He can't get away with his "philosophy" anymore as he has enjoyed in season's past.

-- They better not cut David Moore. It will be 10x worse than last year when they cut Kasen.

-- Cut Jon Ryan, and bring in another player to compete at a different position. Jon lost, move on.

-- The 2018 Rookie Class is still looking pretty damn good.

-- Prosise is getting cut. He ran against 2s & 3s and didn't impress.

-- The Offense needs more designed rollouts. Russell is too dynamic on these plays, and yet they are hardly every called.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:20 pm
  • Great summary, Fade! It's worth noting that the only turnover we've had on defense was due to a comedic fumbled snap. I hope to see some more, even if against third and fourth stringers, during the next two weeks.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:24 pm
  • Fade wrote:-- The team definitely needs a FB that can be a sledge hammer. I'm sick of these dudes that play patty cake in the hole.

-- Pete, Schotty, & Norton need to figure out what the hell they are doing on 3rd down. I saw a completely unprepared team on both sides of the ball, on the most important down.

-- Pete is overvaluing the 2 veteran DTs he picked up from MINNE, all they did was get blown off the ball repeatedly. More Poona Ford & more Naz Jones please.

-- Ifedi is actually worse than he was last year. Claim the first RT that comes along on waivers, and it will be an upgrade.

-- The O-Line has no depth.

-- Norton scares the hell out of me. Down in OAK his defenses couldn't get turnovers to save their lives. It is looking the same here. Pete is going to have to step in and be more involved with the D than ever before. It's early, but it isn't looking good for Norton.

-- Austin Davis is no bueno.

-- I hope Pete realizes he is going to have to play offense for 4 qtrs. He can't get away with his "philosophy" anymore as he has enjoyed in season's past.

-- They better not cut David Moore. It will be 10x worse than last year when they cut Kasen.

-- Cut Jon Ryan, and bring in another player to compete at a different position. Jon lost, move on.

-- The 2018 Rookie Class is still looking pretty damn good.

-- Prosise is getting cut. He ran against 2s & 3s and didn't impress.

-- The Offense needs more designed rollouts. Russell is too dynamic on these plays, and yet they are hardly every called.

Good points.

Shamar Stephens did play very well in the last game. So did Ponna Ford. Tom Johnson had some good moments.

What I don’t understand is the underutilization of the rookies, Rasheem Green and Jacob Martin, with the first team defense.

Ostensibly, that is because they don’t trust the rookies against the run; they don’t think they can hold up. But both Green and Martin have looked strong against the run, particularly Green. He has shown great leverage, held outside contain, and attacked the backfield to make numerous plays against the run.

What has Branden Jackson done? No pressure. Nothing to write home about against the run. He has been the invisible man, yet continues to get first team reps, ahead of Green, because he’s a “veteran.”
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:14 pm
  • Aros wrote:Vannett, Prosise and Ifedi -

To be honest, Vannett didn't drop the TD in the endzone, it was tipper away by the DB from the Chargers. They showed a reply from the sideline that showed it getting deflected away.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 pm
  • MO Hawk wrote:Teams have a way of running a short round and turning back just past our LBs but in front of our DBs picking up 8-10 yards. This was a problem last year and I wondered of our new DC would find a solution for that?

I believe this has less to do with the OC and more about Pete’s infatuation with explosive plays. These work until they get to the red zone and they struggle to score tds. It’s a constant theme here. It’s not a personnel issue, it’s a head coach issue. Hopefully Pete will figure it out.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:19 am
  • Meh, the Chargers had all of 7 point of offense the first half. While the Hawks had a fumble at the 1 and a TD called back. Russ was locked in and they were moving the ball just fine. It's a waste of energy to get worked up about game that don't mean squat.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:54 am
  • THE GOOD:
    Our ball handlers looked very impressive. Russ, David Moore, Jarron Brown, Chris Carson all showed excellent mid-season form. Our place-kickers delivered FGs when asked.

THE BAD:
    Both our O-line and D-line were physically manhandled. And nothing good comes out of that, especially in the red zone.

THE UGLY:
    Pretty much everything else. The secondary is a train wreck. No LOB, nothing even remotely resembling it. This D did not look anything like the Seahawks of the past 6 seasons, it looked more like a scab team.

This is going to be one long, crappy, miserable season.
    Tusc2000
    NET Rookie

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:59 am
  • Then why bother watching if you're assuming they will suck?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:45 am
  • It's a preseason game, but for anyone to say these games don't mean squat...they're fooling themselves into thinking they don't matter :D

This team is going to really struggle. They don't have the firepower to cover up for the subpar D the Hawks will be fielding this year. Russ, if healthy, can account for a few W's, but they have no running game. Carson is an unproven commodity. WR's are good, TE is a mystery and that O-Line is still going to be bad. The D is a former shell of itself. Yes, someone (maybe more than 1) will step up and play better than expected, but this team has way too many holes to make this a 10+ win team.
    acctingman
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:58 am
  • They flat out don't matter. See it how you want. But hey, maybe the Browns will be pre-season champs again. Because their 4-0 start before going 0-16 must have really mattered.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 am
  • This team has one chance: A High Octane Offense.

The best players on this team play on offense. You can argue Wagner as second best player on the team, I can counter with Baldwin. Regardless #1, #2 and likely #4 are all players on offense.

We have been very spoiled by a defense that allows an offense to score less than 10 pts in the half to still stay in games. Those days are over. We need 14 at the half, probably as a minimum just to stay in games.

If they do that, they can still be competitive. If not, they are going to lose more games than we would like.

Either way, getting to the playoffs (beyond the wild card) is probably a tall order for this team - and likely not a reasonable expectation. This will still be a good team but the days of being great are probably a few years in the past minimum.

What the preseason (with the starters in) tells me is the defense is now a weakness, not a strength. But the offense looks better. It looks very 7-9ish in quality to me but some of the systems are being adjusted to, the defense will tighten a little (though we have a DC that still wasn't that great even featuring Mack and Irvin) and hopefully, the offense will get on rails a bit.

We all knew it was a down year now. The 49ers have likely leapfrogged us and the Rams look like the class of the division just on roster strength alone. The Cards are supposed to be the worst team in our division and should keep that title.

We won't be terrible. Just more likely a 7 win team than a 9 but 9 is certainly in the cards if we go all in on offense. The Packers have shown over the past few years that a great QB can power a team to wins in spite of a less effective defense. The signs all point to this being the case.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:10 am
  • IndyHawk wrote: Vannett is crap ..He's had years to show something,we have replacements for him.

We do? Must have missed that.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:23 am
  • Vannett is not crap. He obviously isn't Graham but he blocks too.

He is an average TE with maybe slightly below average hands and slightly above average blocking.

We don't even normally have great TEs so I am not sure what people have high expectations of him for.

He was not tremendously great in college either, so it is weird people would think he would suddenly just vault up and start producing in all facets at a better level against higher caliber competition.

I was hoping Swoopes would work out as a TE conversion because he has the size and seemed to have the hands but he doesn't seem to be cracking the depth chart. That part is disappointing because he looks like he could be good (at least we can use him as the backup QB because he would still be better than Davis)
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:25 am
  • Wow, I don't quite see it as Armageddon as some do. It's a preseason game after all. No need to get too high, nor too low. Yes we can see tendencies forming, we have a rough sketch of the way they might look come the regular season but maybe it's just my shiny optimistic sunglasses but I think this team is going to seriously compete this year. The division might be out of reach thanks to a Rams team that is peaking, but I still fully believe we have a legit shot for the wildcard this season and nothing I have seen (save Ifedi) has changed my feelings on that.

This is a 6-10 team without Russell at the moment. With Russell? 9-7, 10-6 or better.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:33 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I’m worried about the defense. Our linebacking crew outside of Quem last week has looked bad, and that includes Bobby and KJ. I think the offense is going to have to carry this team this year.

This is what I said a month ago.

I'm not worried about the offense, with Solari we're already seeing a marked improvement in the run game, which should open up some good play action for Russell to move the ball.

But the defense? All three levels are potential problems, super thin and holes in each. Good QB's like Rivers are going to pick us apart if we can't solidify some problem areas.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:41 am
  • I'll believe the Niners have leapfrogged us when I see it. Typical pre-season hype.
    One thing is clear with the Hawks though though, the backups are not nearly as good as in the past. But, learning curve for a lot of young guys who will contribute. But, I still suspect an up and down season, and that's ok. It's to be expected. That being said, I expect no worse than 9-7, homer or not, that's just my own feeling on this team.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:21 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:This team has one chance: A High Octane Offense.

The best players on this team play on offense. You can argue Wagner as second best player on the team, I can counter with Baldwin. Regardless #1, #2 and likely #4 are all players on offense.

We have been very spoiled by a defense that allows an offense to score less than 10 pts in the half to still stay in games. Those days are over. We need 14 at the half, probably as a minimum just to stay in games.

If they do that, they can still be competitive. If not, they are going to lose more games than we would like.

Either way, getting to the playoffs (beyond the wild card) is probably a tall order for this team - and likely not a reasonable expectation. This will still be a good team but the days of being great are probably a few years in the past minimum.

What the preseason (with the starters in) tells me is the defense is now a weakness, not a strength. But the offense looks better. It looks very 7-9ish in quality to me but some of the systems are being adjusted to, the defense will tighten a little (though we have a DC that still wasn't that great even featuring Mack and Irvin) and hopefully, the offense will get on rails a bit.

We all knew it was a down year now. The 49ers have likely leapfrogged us and the Rams look like the class of the division just on roster strength alone. The Cards are supposed to be the worst team in our division and should keep that title.

We won't be terrible. Just more likely a 7 win team than a 9 but 9 is certainly in the cards if we go all in on offense. The Packers have shown over the past few years that a great QB can power a team to wins in spite of a less effective defense. The signs all point to this being the case.

This is a very good assessment of where we are at. If you thought with all or losses on defense that in a short few months the bosses could all of a sudden put together a championship defense you needed to give your head a shake. Ultimately some poor drafting, trading and decisions have lead us to what the defense is currently at. The offense needs to lead this team now. RW is getting some real big bucks as well as many other players. They are going to have to win the games now and not the other way around in which we have been accustom to watching in the past. I am as big of a pessimist on this site as the next guy but some of the comments I have seen on this site after a week 2 pre season loss are comedic relief. The defence is going to have a lot of growing pains this year no doubt. We have guys on this roster who are 1 year fill ins until we can finally start drafting guys that aren't smashing their heads off rocks and are not longshot draft busts. I just want to see them compete hard every game and we will see who is left standing for next year as guys that are going to be around for a while. As for KJ and Wagner looking off in pre season...GOOD.. I don't care if they tackle anyone. If they get hurt in these meaningless games we are screwed. These guys are not competing for jobs so I don't care what they do as long as they don't end up on IR before the season starts. The defense is in full rebuild and it is going to cost us games. I agree we need to be like GB and the offence has to overcome a weak D. I see it like this after 2 games:

Offence:

1. Wilson is still Wilson...he can win us games that we have no business being in. However, he is going to have to play a FULL game...no more bs in the first half. I am hoping it was coaching decisions from the man who's name I will no longer state here. As for the back up job it looks bleek. Mcgeough will likely go to the PS. I think a better QB will be around after the final cuts and we can get one in better than Davis.

2. Our RB core imo looks good if they stay healthy. Remember we had the fat bastard at this time last year...it can't get any worse than that. Carson has had injury concerns even in college and high school. If he plays a full year I think we are okay. Penny is only going to get better and compete hard every game to get more snaps. Mckissic is gimmick guy and ST. He makes it on that. IMO Davis better beat out Prosise for the job. We keep basing Prosise's talent on one game 2 years ago. He hasn't done shit otherwise but be hurt. Davis at least can fill the void if Carson or Penny goes down. No way you can say that about Mr Glass. He did not look good at all vs the scrubs in the last game. I never even saw flashes that he could be good. Time to move on.

3. Our WR core will be fine and again I think its better than last year. Baldwin is still angry, Lockett will be healthier, Brown I think will be that safety net for Wilson and imo after that anything can happen. I do not think Marshall makes the team. He looked slow and old. I would personally rather go with Moore or Stringfellow. One question...where the hell is Darboh?

4. TE- Not sure whats going to happen here. I think Vannett will be the starter but still needs to work on his hands. I am hoping its nerves. I want him to be the next Zach...not the Chicago Zach...the other one...but I don't think he is. Dickson is a wild card with his injuries so who knows. After that Dissly is not ready.

5. OL- I'm sorry but Ifedi is trash and I would like to see him cut or traded by the end of pre season. He is obviously not coachable. He is going to get Wilson killed. Time to admit we drafted yet another bust. I thought otherwise the line looked better but we gotta see what happens when the real season starts. They need to be better this year no doubt.

Defense

1. DL- Clark is the key to the pass rush. If he can't get it done we are in some trouble. I have no faith that Jordan will ever be healthy enough to have an impact here. I think Green will step up but he is a rookie so don't expect a pro bowl appearance. With Smith being cut Green will have to be the guy on the other side. At DT we will be fine with Jones and Reed...more than fine I think.

2. LB- Wagner and Wright...nuff said...just gotta stay healthy. I'm not sold on Mingo and I suspect that is why Walden is here. Think its gonna be a patch job all year at that side. Something they need to address in the draft next year.

3. DB- This is where we are likely to get slaughtered at times. We have a very unproven backfield and its going to hurt us vs good offenses. I just want to see a strong sense of competitiveness and hopefully see signs of them getting better as the season goes on. Thomas will never play here again so lets pop that bubble right now.

ST-

Dickson is awesome. Weird how he can bomb it downfield without a full leg extension. Jon will get a job elsewhere which he deserves. Not sure on the kicker yet. Tough call. Remember we had garbage last year so any one of these guys is a big improvement. Not sure on Mckissic but I am sure Lockett will still have a role back there.

I see us at a 9 win team tops and out of the playoffs and on the low end 6 wins. But anything can happen with injuries in this league. A couple good QB's go down and it opens it up for anything to happen. I don't see the NFC being a 1 horse race at all this year.

There could still be some surprising cuts yet so this team may look different come week 1.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:15 am
  • I'm here for the high octane offense 8)
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:22 am
  • adeltaY wrote:I'm here for the high octane offense 8)

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:41 am
  • Good posts in here! :2thumbs:

For me, you have to start with expectations (as a fan): what are YOU expecting this season? I think we all hope our team will be competitive. But, does anyone really see a Super Bowl contender? I sure don't. I don't think I see a playoff contender, either, without a lot of things falling into place.

We need to embrace the reality. I think we may see a significant change in momentum where the offense becomes the strength and the defense becomes more of a liability, especially if #29 isn't patrolling the field. I see some elements of Schotty's offense I like - the curl routes and easy hitters that are always open if the defense gives it to us. That was something that drove me bat sh*t crazy about Bevell. It's 3rd and 5, run that stop route or crosser and move the chains, live to fight another four downs.

It is what it is and it is where we are at right now. That's not doom and gloom, it's stark reality. I also don't think we will "suck" and go 4-12 or anything crazy like that. Russell Wilson alone makes us competitive every week. He gives us a chance, every Sunday.

I just see too many flaws, for now.

I think Vannett will be pretty good. I am done with Ifedi, he is never going to get it. Agree with the down opinion of Hill. We are once again reminded of the strange and over-thought drafts since 2013 that have left the cupboards bare. I am bullish on the 2018 draft class, and I see more potential in that group than the last few drafts combined.

But, we are paying the price for some really poor drafting and trade decisions that cascaded for a few years. It is going to take some time to home-grow the next generation.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:55 am
  • This draft class is going to prove to be the best one in a long time. Green, Penny, Griffin, Dickson, Dissly and Flowers will all be contributors in the near future. Like most rookies, they will take their lumps, but learn from it and get stronger. 2019, this team is back in the Playoffs.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Next

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information