Two images that I think defines a Russell Wilson

NINEster

Reaction score
You put them together and it explains a lot.

Not everything but close.

Attachments

• Russell Wilson Out of Pocket Vision and Accuracy.png
    Russell Wilson Out of Pocket Vision and Accuracy.png
    143.5 KB · Views: 2,008
  • QB Efficiency 2017.jpg
    QB Efficiency 2017.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 2,008

GeekHawk

Reaction score
There sure are going to be a lot of surprised people around the US when they see RW behind a line that's better than a junior college JV team. Subpar pocket game? What pocket? You mean the pocket created when all 5 cable-coached O-linemen fell down whiffing on their illegal cut blocks? :roll: :roll: :roll: All while RW was waiting for his 2 WRs to converge on a single spot way downfield where at least 3 defenders waited, in another brilliantly drawn out play by bevel? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: On 3rd and 6 from our own 10? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Keep right on expecting that crapshow to repeat, NFL. Just wait. :mrgreen:

getnasty

Reaction score
So he has great out of pocket accuracy but is one of the least efficient QB's is the NFL in terms of scoring TD's? I'm lost here.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
getnasty":6mtcc3tv said:
So he has great out of pocket accuracy but is one of the least efficient QB's is the NFL in terms of scoring TD's? I'm lost here.

I'm going with Garoppolo at the top of the list as the primary factor for posting, but I could be wrong..

lobohawk

Reaction score
First table is a bit of a stretch for telling anything specific about a QB. Too many factors affect a drive. It speaks to a team's offensive issues or efficiency, but that's about it.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
getnasty":2bbl3iqj said:

It's about scoring TDs or FGs.

And BTW, the Benoit tweet aside, Wilson did throw the most TDs in the league last year.

So it's interesting to see how anyone can possibly lead the league in TD passes and their team's scoring efficiency isn't very good.

It's implying that Wilson is basically making miracle play after miracle play to compensate for his own team or to compensate for other parts of his game.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":3migzwss said:
getnasty":3migzwss said:

I'm going with Garoppolo at the top of the list as the primary factor for posting, but I could be wrong..

Despite what it seems, I have a very genuine fascination with Wilson.

He's the most unorthodox successful QB I've ever watched, and I've been watching since the late '80s.

If I can get a similar efficiency table for years past, I would definitely analyze them.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Attributing all failed drives to the QB is foolish nonsense. Last year, Seahawks had a bad and penalty-plagued offensive line, a horrible field goal kicker, and the worst running game in franchise history.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Not to dwell in the past, and I'm encouraged by certain changes this offseason, but RW's 31.9%, bottom in the NFL, surprises me not. Exactly what it's felt like the last couple years or more: RW often moving the chains with success until we get to around the 30- or 35-yard line, and the suddenly it's as if the turf were pure kryptonite to the Seahawks' offense. Have been waiting patiently for THIS to get fixed in order to consider our offense truly legitimate. Maybe they'll turn a corner this season.

Remember this discussion? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137932

Edit: Not at all saying it's all on RW. In 2017 it was largely the atrocious OL, ineffective TE blocking, and a bad year for our RBs.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I love Dang3Russ, I love that he has a generational magical gift and I love that Pete wants to exploit that gift with backyard can’t catch me can’t catch me football, but, there are some stats in the league that are glorified yet typically indicate a broken system. For instance, show me leader in TD passes, I’ll ask you how the run game is going. There are some categories where it’s great to be middle of the pack or number ten or so. Just ask our pedestrian Super Bowl winning wide recieving corp from 2013.

adeltaY

Reaction score
How do they define Wilson? You took a single season offensive drive stat and attributed it to one player irrespective of context and a tweet from a Wilson denier that happens to compliment him.

I read your explanation in a later post and I guess it makes sense. I disagree that this combo of images defines Wilson as a player, there are many better stats for that.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":3v7vjszk said:
getnasty":3v7vjszk said:

I'm inclined to agree. Don't rise to the bait I say.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Do one thing.

Look at Wilson's numbers in the 2nd half. Then compare them by quarter.

The #s in the 1st half are the product of Pete's stupidity. Pete is a smart guy, but he has always (even at USC) had a blind spot for idiot assistants. And that continued here.

Wilson has literally the best scoring offense in the league in the 4th quarter. He scores when he has to.

But the stupidity of the gameplans he was forced to work with and Pete's inability to figure out that his OC was incompetent for YEARS - screwed Wilson.

I don't think Wilson is elite, (though close) but as even a casual football fan I would expect you to recognize that he is tremendously good when he has to be, even more so given what he has to work with.

I have been harping on TD efficiency for years now, because we walk down the field and then shoot for FGs constantly. But to imply that it is all Wilson is ridiculous when you look at what he produces when they take the leash off. That is not always against prevent defenses. Many times he is driving to score within one score because our defense has held the other offense down for 3 quarters.

If anything, those numbers are an indictment of Pete and how he has squandered the years of great defense combined with a great quarterback because of his failure to remove an underproducing OC until this year. We likely lost 3 solid years as a potential SB contender due to that inaction.

But it does not all fall on Wilson, and anyone will tell you that I am not shy in criticizing Wilson when he falls short.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
If I defined Wilson with two images, it’d probably be the dad bod Hawaiian shirt pic, and then him holding up the SB trophy. :lol:

For the OP, the first one is pretty much nothing, and the second with the caveat about pocket passing is not really even true. Not very good selections imo.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I think these images define Wilson a lot better.

Attachments

• 4C1164B8-3C4A-4E48-A4A2-3B4A24195B71.jpeg
    4C1164B8-3C4A-4E48-A4A2-3B4A24195B71.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 1,515
  • B0DDC23D-7DAA-409C-891D-5AB7FB88D1B8.jpeg
    B0DDC23D-7DAA-409C-891D-5AB7FB88D1B8.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 1,515

Own The West

Reaction score
OP, please re-title this thread: "Two images that I think define the 2017 running game."

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson did more with less last season than any quarterback I have ever seen. The 2017 Seahawks would have been a 4-win team at best without Wilson, which is remarkable considering that the team might have finished 12-4 WITH Wilson if they'd had a kicker worth his salt.

Give Wilson decent protection and a decent running game to work with this year and he will set the league on fire.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
There is exactly one elite quarterback in the NFL who regularly produces - hell, who avoids being a total disaster every week - without the normally mandatory quality of regularly hanging in the pocket. He's playing for the Seahawks. He CAN do it. He just doesn't like to.