Earl Thomas desirability poll

.net pulse regarding #29

• Get Earl in now, he’s badly needed

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • Trade Earl for no less than a 2nd round pick

Votes: 75 32.8%
  • Trade Earl for whatever you can get

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Let him sit out, then let him walk in 2019 (potential comp pick)

Votes: 61 26.6%
  • Earl who?

Votes: 27 11.8%

• Total voters

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I know there is a thread dedicated to Earl Thomas but I thought it would be interesting to see how a poll would sort out the pulse of the board. In 2018 the top brass seemed all in for a run to the Owl considering the trades they made. Had he held out last year, they might have caved by now.

quadsas

Reaction score
at this point after all the crap hes talked about, Earl who? send him to Cleveland, do it the Belichick way

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
If he sits out all of 2018-19, he won't be free in 2019... isn't that correct? Or am I wrong?

TheHawkster

Reaction score
He has to be available for 8 games for the season to count. Like how Joey Galloway did it.
Too bad we can't get two 1st from the Cowboys like we did for Joey.

LargentFan

Reaction score
I might get hate for this, but I think Earl might be a top 5 all-time Seahawk. Add in that he is still playing top level football and I am sold on keeping him.

Quick and dirty top 5 Seahawks of all time in no particular order...
Steve Largent
Walter Jones
Cortez Kennedy
Kenny Easley
Hmmm...Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson or Earl Thomas might fit here...
Ok he's borderline top 5 all-time and a lock for top 10 all-time.

Ask yourself this...
The next time Earl Thomas makes a play that no other player could make, don't you want to see him in a Seahawks jersey when he does it?

Donn2390

Reaction score
LargentFan":xroo6gqq said:
I might get hate for this, but I think Earl might be a top 5 all-time Seahawk. Add in that he is still playing top level football and I am sold on keeping him.

Quick and dirty top 5 Seahawks of all time in no particular order...
Steve Largent
Walter Jones
Cortez Kennedy
Kenny Easley
Hmmm...Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson or Earl Thomas might fit here...
Ok he's borderline top 5 all-time and a lock for top 10 all-time.

Ask yourself this...
The next time Earl Thomas makes a play that no other player could make, don't you want to see him in a Seahawks jersey when he does it?
His attitude and financial demands would need to improve 100% before I could agree to that statement. As it is, he is on the down hill side of age and health. He should be thankful he has a job, not holding out for more money. You don't see other teams lining up for his services..!!
He needed to come in early, work hard and have a terrific season and then talk about a new contract. An honorable man honors a contract, he is a spoiled child. The rest of the bad attitudes are gone, he needs to follow them.
We have some new stars on the horizon who still want to play hard and earn their spot and their money. Too many of these guys meet with a little success and their ego's get all blown out of shape and they begin to think they are more important than the team or the game. At this point, Earl is NOT a team player. That will lead to failure.

Fade

Reaction score
Let him sit. Then Franchise Tag him at the end of the year. Sometimes players need to be made an example of so the other players don't get any funny ideas about holding out.

Strictly business, I don't hold any ill will towards Earl. I just don't want future players getting the idea it's a good idea to hold out. The Marshawn holdout led to the Kam holdout which is now the Earl holdout. That is 3 holdouts in 5 yrs. No more.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Makes a play that no other player could make? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's completely out of touch with the reality of even humanity itself. That's literally never happened with any player in league history. No one has ever been THAT good and no one ever will be. That's purely fanatical to the extreme. I mean holy frickin straight jacket...

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Kind of done with the whole thing. Trade him for what we can get. If he plays, is his heart truly in it? Doubtful. The man signed a front-loaded contract which made him the highest paid FS in the league. The ownership has shown it's appreciation. Hey, do what you gotta do Earl. I sincerely love and appreciate what you've given our team, but using extortion on a team and a fan base that has shown you nothing but love, well, that's kind of ridiculous.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Trade him for no less than a 2nd. If that doesn’t work, let him come back after 8 games, and sit his ass on the bench. Do not play him under any circumstance. Then franchise his ass the next year, and sit him again. I don’t care, an example needs to be made of him, so that others won’t do stupid shit in the future, at the expense of my team. I will take the new kids, even if it hurts.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
All he is doing is hurting his own payday... no team will offer him what he wants. Great player, at this point, not worth the headache

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Have no ill will towards this process. He stays and we sign him for 3 years, awesome. He holds out, not something I prefer but I have expectations from other players and I am fine seeing other individuals progress. We trade him, ok get some compensation, he goes on, we move forward and we remember him as a Seahawks legend. ET then travels elsewhere and does good stuff, great all around.

This is not a lose scenario for us.

LargentFan

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1zpq614f said:
Makes a play that no other player could make? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's completely out of touch with the reality of even humanity itself. That's literally never happened with any player in league history. No one has ever been THAT good and no one ever will be. That's purely fanatical to the extreme. I mean holy frickin straight jacket...

Obviously, my statement was slight hyperbole, but can you find me another player who has chopped the ball out of a running back's hand one inch from the goal line? Can you find a guy who did it twice?

Also...no need to be a dick.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3cxzy6dd said:
If he sits out all of 2018-19, he won't be free in 2019... isn't that correct? Or am I wrong?

That’s correct. If he sits out the whole season, then he gets nothing, accrues a bunch of team fines, and his contract tolls until next season — meaning the Seahawks would retain his rights in 2019.

It’s unclear when he would need to report back to the team to avoid his contact tolling; the assumed standard is the halfway point of the season (or Week 9).

Even if he does report in time to avoid his contract tolling, the Seahawks would still have the option to retain his rights in 2019 by franchise tagging him.

He is a great free safety. If he returns to the team and plays well, negotiating a new contract after the season remains a possibility.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
pmedic920":2fzicmr9 said:
I love ETIII as a player for the Seahawks.

Read here what you will.

Rite now ETIII is not a player for the Seahawks.
This is where I am. The only issue I have is that my Gameday jersey has been #29 since he became a Hawk. I may have to switch to my Friday Wolf Grey #3.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If I believed his heart would be in it then I’d vote to pay him what he wants and get this show on the road. Unfortunately what he wants is a long term max contract that would cripple the team if he doesn’t come in and play every snap at the highest level. The team is already over a barrel with Kam so we can’t afford to take that risk again with Earl. It seems like the best we can hope for is to trade him for what ever we can get.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Sort of over it at this point. He is though a generational player and currently still the BEST at his position. I'd love for him to suit up all 16+ games this year for the Hawks.

All the Dallas nonsense and trade me or pay me talk, don't really care anymore. It's kind of like a drunk spouse who embarrassed you at an event and you've had to hear about it all summer. Whatever. It's over. Still love ya deep down.

It's a brand new year, and I promise you if he was to suit up, and and get to work, all that extraness would quickly be water under the bridge. And who knows, maybe they do work him a new deal before seasons end. Something that is good for the organization, but also works for Earl.

Hopefully something happens sooner rather than later, for all parties involved.

Oh, and my vote would be somewhere between options 1 and 2. Yes get him in, bring him back, but I don't think it's "badly needed". If not, trade him. Just do something.

Next time leave your name, Francis.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Want him yes, the reality is though not with what he is demanding. The Kam contract and the impact of his cap hit for the next couple years, is going to keep the hawks from huge long term injury guaranteed contracts. Earl is not worth what he thinks in todays market. Teams are not knocking down Seattle door looking to sign him. I love Earl the player. Earl the negotiater has shot himself in the foot and is too hung up on being disrespected to realize it.

Latest posts