Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Earl Thomas desirability poll

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

.net pulse regarding #29

Get Earl in now, he’s badly needed
30
13%
Trade Earl for no less than a 2nd round pick
76
33%
Trade Earl for whatever you can get
36
16%
Let him sit out, then let him walk in 2019 (potential comp pick)
61
27%
Earl who?
27
12%
 
Total votes : 230

Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:42 pm
  • I know there is a thread dedicated to Earl Thomas but I thought it would be interesting to see how a poll would sort out the pulse of the board. In 2018 the top brass seemed all in for a run to the Owl considering the trades they made. Had he held out last year, they might have caved by now.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1657
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:45 pm
  • at this point after all the crap hes talked about, Earl who? send him to Cleveland, do it the Belichick way
    quadsas
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 295
    Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:34 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:48 pm
  • If he sits out all of 2018-19, he won't be free in 2019... isn't that correct? Or am I wrong?
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1814
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:57 pm
  • He has to be available for 8 games for the season to count. Like how Joey Galloway did it.
    Too bad we can't get two 1st from the Cowboys like we did for Joey.
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    User avatar
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 2263
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:00 am
    Location: Puyallup


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:00 pm
  • I might get hate for this, but I think Earl might be a top 5 all-time Seahawk. Add in that he is still playing top level football and I am sold on keeping him.

    Quick and dirty top 5 Seahawks of all time in no particular order...
    Steve Largent
    Walter Jones
    Cortez Kennedy
    Kenny Easley
    Hmmm...Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson or Earl Thomas might fit here...
    Ok he's borderline top 5 all-time and a lock for top 10 all-time.

    Ask yourself this...
    The next time Earl Thomas makes a play that no other player could make, don't you want to see him in a Seahawks jersey when he does it?
    User avatar
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 579
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:38 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:07 pm
  • I love ETIII as a player for the Seahawks.



    Read here what you will.





    Rite now ETIII is not a player for the Seahawks.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 16727
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:08 pm
  • If he’s not traded, I see a tag in his future.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    User avatar
    AKNFidel
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 68
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:49 am
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:14 pm
  • LargentFan wrote:I might get hate for this, but I think Earl might be a top 5 all-time Seahawk. Add in that he is still playing top level football and I am sold on keeping him.

    Quick and dirty top 5 Seahawks of all time in no particular order...
    Steve Largent
    Walter Jones
    Cortez Kennedy
    Kenny Easley
    Hmmm...Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson or Earl Thomas might fit here...
    Ok he's borderline top 5 all-time and a lock for top 10 all-time.

    Ask yourself this...
    The next time Earl Thomas makes a play that no other player could make, don't you want to see him in a Seahawks jersey when he does it?

    His attitude and financial demands would need to improve 100% before I could agree to that statement. As it is, he is on the down hill side of age and health. He should be thankful he has a job, not holding out for more money. You don't see other teams lining up for his services..!!
    He needed to come in early, work hard and have a terrific season and then talk about a new contract. An honorable man honors a contract, he is a spoiled child. The rest of the bad attitudes are gone, he needs to follow them.
    We have some new stars on the horizon who still want to play hard and earn their spot and their money. Too many of these guys meet with a little success and their ego's get all blown out of shape and they begin to think they are more important than the team or the game. At this point, Earl is NOT a team player. That will lead to failure.
    Donn2390
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 318
    Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:16 am
    Location: Apple Valley, California


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:23 pm
  • Let him sit. Then Franchise Tag him at the end of the year. Sometimes players need to be made an example of so the other players don't get any funny ideas about holding out.

    Strictly business, I don't hold any ill will towards Earl. I just don't want future players getting the idea it's a good idea to hold out. The Marshawn holdout led to the Kam holdout which is now the Earl holdout. That is 3 holdouts in 5 yrs. No more.
    User avatar
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1557
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:28 pm
  • Makes a play that no other player could make? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    That's completely out of touch with the reality of even humanity itself. That's literally never happened with any player in league history. No one has ever been THAT good and no one ever will be. That's purely fanatical to the extreme. I mean holy frickin straight jacket...
    User avatar
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 4488
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:39 pm
  • Kind of done with the whole thing. Trade him for what we can get. If he plays, is his heart truly in it? Doubtful. The man signed a front-loaded contract which made him the highest paid FS in the league. The ownership has shown it's appreciation. Hey, do what you gotta do Earl. I sincerely love and appreciate what you've given our team, but using extortion on a team and a fan base that has shown you nothing but love, well, that's kind of ridiculous.
    User avatar
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3456
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 pm
    Location: In Bruges


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:51 pm
  • Trade him for no less than a 2nd. If that doesn’t work, let him come back after 8 games, and sit his ass on the bench. Do not play him under any circumstance. Then franchise his ass the next year, and sit him again. I don’t care, an example needs to be made of him, so that others won’t do stupid shit in the future, at the expense of my team. I will take the new kids, even if it hurts.
    It's about damn time #45 is in the HOF
    tacomahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 722
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 am
    Location: T-town


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:29 pm
  • All he is doing is hurting his own payday... no team will offer him what he wants. Great player, at this point, not worth the headache
    Hawksfan78
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 285
    Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:13 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:32 pm
  • Have no ill will towards this process. He stays and we sign him for 3 years, awesome. He holds out, not something I prefer but I have expectations from other players and I am fine seeing other individuals progress. We trade him, ok get some compensation, he goes on, we move forward and we remember him as a Seahawks legend. ET then travels elsewhere and does good stuff, great all around.

    This is not a lose scenario for us.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4797
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:39 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:Makes a play that no other player could make? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    That's completely out of touch with the reality of even humanity itself. That's literally never happened with any player in league history. No one has ever been THAT good and no one ever will be. That's purely fanatical to the extreme. I mean holy frickin straight jacket...


    Obviously, my statement was slight hyperbole, but can you find me another player who has chopped the ball out of a running back's hand one inch from the goal line? Can you find a guy who did it twice?

    Also...no need to be a dick.
    User avatar
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 579
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:38 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:04 pm
  • Ad Hawk wrote:If he sits out all of 2018-19, he won't be free in 2019... isn't that correct? Or am I wrong?


    That’s correct. If he sits out the whole season, then he gets nothing, accrues a bunch of team fines, and his contract tolls until next season — meaning the Seahawks would retain his rights in 2019.

    It’s unclear when he would need to report back to the team to avoid his contact tolling; the assumed standard is the halfway point of the season (or Week 9).

    Even if he does report in time to avoid his contract tolling, the Seahawks would still have the option to retain his rights in 2019 by franchise tagging him.

    He is a great free safety. If he returns to the team and plays well, negotiating a new contract after the season remains a possibility.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1949
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:51 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:I love ETIII as a player for the Seahawks.



    Read here what you will.





    Rite now ETIII is not a player for the Seahawks.

    This is where I am. The only issue I have is that my Gameday jersey has been #29 since he became a Hawk. I may have to switch to my Friday Wolf Grey #3.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    User avatar
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 707
    Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:10 pm
    Location: Baltimore, Maryland


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:27 am
  • If I believed his heart would be in it then I’d vote to pay him what he wants and get this show on the road. Unfortunately what he wants is a long term max contract that would cripple the team if he doesn’t come in and play every snap at the highest level. The team is already over a barrel with Kam so we can’t afford to take that risk again with Earl. It seems like the best we can hope for is to trade him for what ever we can get.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4104
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:50 am
  • Sort of over it at this point. He is though a generational player and currently still the BEST at his position. I'd love for him to suit up all 16+ games this year for the Hawks.

    All the Dallas nonsense and trade me or pay me talk, don't really care anymore. It's kind of like a drunk spouse who embarrassed you at an event and you've had to hear about it all summer. Whatever. It's over. Still love ya deep down.

    It's a brand new year, and I promise you if he was to suit up, and and get to work, all that extraness would quickly be water under the bridge. And who knows, maybe they do work him a new deal before seasons end. Something that is good for the organization, but also works for Earl.

    Hopefully something happens sooner rather than later, for all parties involved.

    Oh, and my vote would be somewhere between options 1 and 2. Yes get him in, bring him back, but I don't think it's "badly needed". If not, trade him. Just do something.


    Next time leave your name, Francis.
    Last edited by Mistashoesta on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1554
    Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:22 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:59 am
  • Want him yes, the reality is though not with what he is demanding. The Kam contract and the impact of his cap hit for the next couple years, is going to keep the hawks from huge long term injury guaranteed contracts. Earl is not worth what he thinks in todays market. Teams are not knocking down Seattle door looking to sign him. I love Earl the player. Earl the negotiater has shot himself in the foot and is too hung up on being disrespected to realize it.
    homerun1970
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1021
    Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 4:16 am
    Location: Northern CA


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:33 am
  • There are three more preseason games before I make up my mind.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5807
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:02 am
  • He is dead to me. I wrote him off after the Dallas stunt. To think I have an official Jersey of his. Guess I will hang it next to the Harvin one I bought....trade him for whatever and move on...if not let him sit out the year.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    User avatar
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5928
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:17 am
  • Simple question:

    Are the Seahawks better or worse with the All-Pro Safety that their defense hinges on being on the roster?

    To answer this question you have to ask yourself if the utility of the distraction is worth the benefit of his play. And if we can extract the full benefit of his play knowing that Earl may potentially be distracted as well.

    The reason to get rid of Earl was because you don't want him leaving for nothing. But at this juncture, you are essentially getting nothing for him. So the best route was to do as already suggested, keep him, play him and then trade him for potentially more IF a team loses their safety in the middle a potential run up to the playoffs (for them). Because they might trade more in order to get that playoff difference maker.

    (Though Seahawk defenders have a nasty habit of not being as good when they go elsewhere)

    Either way, you have to keep him because there is little way you can argue we are better without him. Your hurt feelings should not be relevant to the decision - if any of you are upset at him for this.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3153
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:47 am
  • I am really hating on jerruh, when a hall of fame FS at his prime personally hand picked your team as his only destination, you do whatever to accommodate his wishes.

    So insulting to Earl that jerruh made not even a half ass effort.

    McCloughan and Dorsey may come with their next year’s 1st for Earl, they need help in their secondary and they knew it,


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by toffee on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 820
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:54 am
  • oldhawkfan wrote:I know there is a thread dedicated to Earl Thomas but I thought it would be interesting to see how a poll would sort out the pulse of the board. In 2018 the top brass seemed all in for a run to the Owl considering the trades they made. Had he held out last year, they might have caved by now.

    The poll seems flawed since trading Earl for no less than a 2nd is only possible if another team is willing to give up a second. Since that seems unlikely, everyone who voted for trade Earl for no less than a 2nd voted to do nothing and hope. Hope is not a winning strategy.
    Sun Tzu
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 104
    Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:45 am
    Location: Idaho


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:28 am
  • I'd trade him for no less than a 2nd rounder.

    Other than that let him hold out come back in week 10, play and then if he played well I'd franchise his ass next off season.................AND I'd tell Earl and his agent this. I'd straight up tell them I've got Earl's ass for 1-2 more years if this is the way he wants this to go by holding out.

    So good for you Earl, get up on your righteous high horse and make this sound like you're some martyr instead of just another greedy player that's throwing a tantrum because he's not getting an extension.

    We'll just keep doing this until we get a high rounder, or we can no longer afford the franchise tag.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13048
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:44 am
  • Ideally I'd like to trade Earl for no less than a 2nd rounder, but I don't see any team coming 'round knocking any time soon. If we can't get a 2nd for him, then I vote let him ride the bench. I'm over this situation. Dude has $8MM+ reasons to report and play out his final year.

    At this point, I'd play hardball and tell him he's going to be a Seahawk unless some team ends up offering a proper trade, ideally Cleveland, or until his rights via contract term out. He has no leverage. Whether this year tolls or not, we still have the franchise tag for the following year. Earl's ego isn't bigger than the team.

    On a side note, am I the only one that thinks this is possibly the worst year so far for Earl to do this? A bit of a retooling year where expectations are pretty low, we're not in a win-now situation like we were the previous 5 seasons. It's like he's trying to hold his services above the team's head when the team is more than happy to see what other younger players have to offer.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1781
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:48 am
  • We do this often.

    We think we have this amazing system and that players are easily replaceable. 'Next man up' and all that crap.

    It does not work.

    This team has a tremendous problem in worrying about what it does not have instead of cherishing what it does.

    I get players age and you need to replace them. But the differences when you lose guys (or worse, let guys go so you can pay big money to other guys that never fit in here....ugh) is you leave a hole.

    We never recovered after losing Irvin, and everyone was sure he was not worth the money. And losing Tate essentially lost us at least one SB and probably a trip or 2 others. You keep your great players unless you are the Patriots. Because the difference makers ARE the players. We removed guys that fit here, so we could pay guys that didn't (Harvin, Graham, etc). Those gambles rarely pay off for us, if ever.

    When we lose our better players, we get weaker. We don't do a good job of filling the holes at all. So in that light, creating the hole in the first place is probably something you want to avoid for as long as possible.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3153
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:52 am
  • No point in trading him for next to nothing just to get him off the roster, he's still a top FS in the NFL and deservedly wants that type of money. The FO still feels burned by the unfortunate career ending injury to Kam on his third contract and now want to avoid a similar situation with guaranteed dead money. I wish he would just show up and be a leader, proving he is deserving of a solid third contract through his play, but I also understand his desire to be financially secure as he gets older. FO made it clear they aren't budging and all signs point to them being done reaching out, feeling from camp is he's already forgotten. Time for Earl to just show up...
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3980
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:54 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:We do this often.

    We think we have this amazing system and that players are easily replaceable. 'Next man up' and all that crap.

    It does not work.

    This team has a tremendous problem in worrying about what it does not have instead of cherishing what it does.

    I get players age and you need to replace them. But the differences when you lose guys (or worse, let guys go so you can pay big money to other guys that never fit in here....ugh) is you leave a hole.

    We never recovered after losing Irvin, and everyone was sure he was not worth the money. And losing Tate essentially lost us at least one SB and probably a trip or 2 others. You keep your great players unless you are the Patriots. Because the difference makers ARE the players. We removed guys that fit here, so we could pay guys that didn't (Harvin, Graham, etc). Those gambles rarely pay off for us, if ever.

    When we lose our better players, we get weaker. We don't do a good job of filling the holes at all. So in that light, creating the hole in the first place is probably something you want to avoid for as long as possible.


    1. You can't pay everyone. Irvin didn't earn an extension with us, he had 5.5 sacks his last year here..........and we have too much salary already committed on defense. So he was expendable.

    2. If we had a lot of cap space and we were in a SB window, instead of in a roster turnover trying to reload? I'd agree with you, I'd take a risk on giving Earl a nice extension and hope he stays healthy and productive for 2-3 more years.

    But we're not, so why would you pay Earl 15M a year like he wants when we're still 2-3 years away from challenging for a SB...............IF Pete and John can reload and get the depth back. Makes no sense to pay Earl now. You trade him and use those pick(s) to get younger and hungrier on defense.

    If we've learned anything through Pete's tenure here, it's that it's impossible to have an old hungry expensive defense.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13048
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:25 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:We do this often.

    We think we have this amazing system and that players are easily replaceable. 'Next man up' and all that crap.

    It does not work.

    This team has a tremendous problem in worrying about what it does not have instead of cherishing what it does.

    I get players age and you need to replace them. But the differences when you lose guys (or worse, let guys go so you can pay big money to other guys that never fit in here....ugh) is you leave a hole.

    We never recovered after losing Irvin, and everyone was sure he was not worth the money. And losing Tate essentially lost us at least one SB and probably a trip or 2 others. You keep your great players unless you are the Patriots. Because the difference makers ARE the players. We removed guys that fit here, so we could pay guys that didn't (Harvin, Graham, etc). Those gambles rarely pay off for us, if ever.

    When we lose our better players, we get weaker. We don't do a good job of filling the holes at all. So in that light, creating the hole in the first place is probably something you want to avoid for as long as possible.


    1. You can't pay everyone. Irvin didn't earn an extension with us, he had 5.5 sacks his last year here..........and we have too much salary already committed on defense. So he was expendable.

    2. If we had a lot of cap space and we were in a SB window, instead of in a roster turnover trying to reload? I'd agree with you, I'd take a risk on giving Earl a nice extension and hope he stays healthy and productive for 2-3 more years.

    But we're not, so why would you pay Earl 15M a year like he wants when we're still 2-3 years away from challenging for a SB...............IF Pete and John can reload and get the depth back. Makes no sense to pay Earl now. You trade him and use those pick(s) to get younger and hungrier on defense.

    If we've learned anything through Pete's tenure here, it's that it's impossible to have an old hungry expensive defense.


    That's exactly how I feel. If we're a couple years out from having out next "SB window" roster...and we're not going to sign Thomas to an extension...and Thompson seemingly having a lot of potential and positive reviews...then it doesn't make sense to pull Thompson off the field (particularly if Thomas comes back mid year to accrue his season). Give him that development time. Thomas is pulling this stunt in the most disadvantageous time in the history of holdouts. I sense literally no consternation or hand wringing out of the team regarding his absence.
    User avatar
    Jac
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 753
    Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:50 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:28 am
  • Donn2390 wrote:
    LargentFan wrote:I might get hate for this, but I think Earl might be a top 5 all-time Seahawk. Add in that he is still playing top level football and I am sold on keeping him.

    Quick and dirty top 5 Seahawks of all time in no particular order...
    Steve Largent
    Walter Jones
    Cortez Kennedy
    Kenny Easley
    Hmmm...Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson or Earl Thomas might fit here...
    Ok he's borderline top 5 all-time and a lock for top 10 all-time.

    Ask yourself this...
    The next time Earl Thomas makes a play that no other player could make, don't you want to see him in a Seahawks jersey when he does it?

    His attitude and financial demands would need to improve 100% before I could agree to that statement. As it is, he is on the down hill side of age and health. He should be thankful he has a job, not holding out for more money. You don't see other teams lining up for his services..!!
    He needed to come in early, work hard and have a terrific season and then talk about a new contract. An honorable man honors a contract, he is a spoiled child. The rest of the bad attitudes are gone, he needs to follow them.
    We have some new stars on the horizon who still want to play hard and earn their spot and their money. Too many of these guys meet with a little success and their ego's get all blown out of shape and they begin to think they are more important than the team or the game. At this point, Earl is NOT a team player. That will lead to failure.


    So owners are dishonorable inherently? Or is your sense of honor guided by the letter of a contracts? And if they are then what exactly is dishonorable given the provision for holdouts baked into any contract?
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2961
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:28 am
  • As clearly been demonstrated by his holdout and actively being on the trade block, Earls value isn’t what he thinks it is. His hold out make no sense for him at this point, assuming he still wants to collect a handsome NFL paycheck and play footballl.

    From a fan POV, I’m just treating the whole thing like he’s hurt and on the PUP. If he comes back great. If he doesn’t, oh well.
    User avatar
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1787
    Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:12 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:33 am
  • Jac wrote:That's exactly how I feel. If we're a couple years out from having out next "SB window" roster...and we're not going to sign Thomas to an extension...and Thompson seemingly having a lot of potential and positive reviews...then it doesn't make sense to pull Thompson off the field (particularly if Thomas comes back mid year to accrue his season). Give him that development time. Thomas is pulling this stunt in the most disadvantageous time in the history of holdouts. I sense literally no consternation or hand wringing out of the team regarding his absence.


    Not only is it bad timing in regards to where our roster/franchise is, you've still got guys like Eric Reid sitting in FA that will, if signed to a team, demand a smaller salary than Earl. So unless a contender wants to throw a contract at Earl for a win-now situation, the league already has stop-gaps sitting there for cheaper.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1781
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:40 am
  • LargentFan wrote:I might get hate for this, but I think Earl might be a top 5 all-time Seahawk. Add in that he is still playing top level football and I am sold on keeping him.

    Quick and dirty top 5 Seahawks of all time in no particular order...
    Steve Largent
    Walter Jones
    Cortez Kennedy
    Kenny Easley
    Hmmm...Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson or Earl Thomas might fit here...
    Ok he's borderline top 5 all-time and a lock for top 10 all-time.

    Ask yourself this...
    The next time Earl Thomas makes a play that no other player could make, don't you want to see him in a Seahawks jersey when he does it?


    What Earl's done in the past has absolutely no bearing on the decision to give him 40M guaranteed as he's asking for with his extension demands.

    Yes he probably still has 2-3, maybe even 3-4 good years left. But not for 12-15M a year with 40M guaranteed in a rebuild cycle where we're trying to get younger and hungrier on defense AND get our cap right in order to have the flexibility back of signing other extensions and add key pieces in the future (Clark, Bobby, Doug, KJ, Russell, etc)

    This is the NFL, you're either in a SB/compete window, or you're not. If you are as we thought we were in last year? That's when you do risky extensions and go for broke trying to win a SB.

    We ain't there anymore. We have holes all over the roster and depth issues at just about every position. Not the time to give your aging safety 40M. It's just not.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13048
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:59 am
  • Fade wrote:Let him sit. Then Franchise Tag him at the end of the year. Sometimes players need to be made an example of so the other players don't get any funny ideas about holding out.

    Strictly business, I don't hold any ill will towards Earl. I just don't want future players getting the idea it's a good idea to hold out. The Marshawn holdout led to the Kam holdout which is now the Earl holdout. That is 3 holdouts in 5 yrs. No more.


    Yeah that's some of the most popular players in the dressing room. Add that to the cutting of the likes of Sherman and Bennett and such actions tell the players we don't really give a rat's ass about you and when it comes to free agency time they're gonna look for the highest bidder.
    In fact, when was the last time we retained a key free agent?

    When it was Kam and Marshawn we were told they don't renegotiate with more than 1 year left. Well ET has one year left so...
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3346
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:27 am
  • Holding out is hardly negotiating.

    My way or no way is Et's negotiating position. the rest of the rubbish is good reason for the two sides to talk but ET doesn't seem to want to talk.

    He has a present contract which pays him $8.5 million for this season that he needs to honour, and withdrawing his services is hardly the way to present his best case for a new contract.

    I don't want the team to give in, and want them to make him pay the fines for his withdrawal of attendance. He has put himself above the team and needs to show up before discussions can even start on a new deal. Even then there is a large difference in the present market for safeties between what ET wants and what the present market is for the position.

    If he isn't 'all in' then he needs to be gone and he is accomplishing that at a significant daily cost to himself. I doubt he comes back to play here for the Seahawks.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5252
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:39 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:Holding out is hardly negotiating.

    My way or no way is Et's negotiating position. the rest of the rubbish is good reason for the two sides to talk but ET doesn't seem to want to talk.

    He has a present contract which pays him $8.5 million for this season that he needs to honour, and withdrawing his services is hardly the way to present his best case for a new contract.

    I don't want the team to give in, and want them to make him pay the fines for his withdrawal of attendance. He has put himself above the team and needs to show up before discussions can even start on a new deal. Even then there is a large difference in the present market for safeties between what ET wants and what the present market is for the position.

    If he isn't 'all in' then he needs to be gone and he is accomplishing that at a significant daily cost to himself. I doubt he comes back to play here for the Seahawks.


    Punitive measures arent business measures.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2961
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:41 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:
    He has a present contract which pays him $8.5 million for this season that he needs to honour, and withdrawing his services is hardly the way to present his best case for a new contract.



    He doesn't need to honor anything, just like teams don't need to honor the contract if they think the player is no longer worth the contract and dead cap hit.

    That's the trade off, and why leverage is so important in the NFL when it comes to contract negotiations.

    THIS is Earl's problem, he has ZERO leverage.

    - No other team wants to pay him what he wants
    - No other team wants to meet the Hawk's price for a trade
    - We're not in a SB window where it's life or death if he plays or not
    - He's not 24 and coming off a Pro Bowl year with no health issues and prime for an extension

    That's it, it's that simple. No leverage = no extension...............and the only way to get the leverage back is to play. Sure as hell isn't sitting at home losing millions and continuing to have the injury and performance concerns hanging over you.

    Dumb.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13048
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:59 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:
    He has a present contract which pays him $8.5 million for this season that he needs to honour, and withdrawing his services is hardly the way to present his best case for a new contract.



    He doesn't need to honor anything, just like teams don't need to honor the contract if they think the player is no longer worth the contract and dead cap hit.

    That's the trade off, and why leverage is so important in the NFL when it comes to contract negotiations.

    THIS is Earl's problem, he has ZERO leverage.

    - No other team wants to pay him what he wants
    - No other team wants to meet the Hawk's price for a trade
    - We're not in a SB window where it's life or death if he plays or not
    - He's not 24 and coming off a Pro Bowl year with no health issues and prime for an extension

    That's it, it's that simple. No leverage = no extension...............and the only way to get the leverage back is to play. Sure as hell isn't sitting at home losing millions and continuing to have the injury and performance concerns hanging over you.

    Dumb.


    I add in that the team's patience is gone with respect to holdouts, media stunts, 'me first' culture distractions, expensive third contracts, etc. They've turned the page as an organization, and Thomas got left holding the bag. The rest of the teammates that he grew up with found themselves in different situations than his.
    User avatar
    Jac
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 753
    Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:50 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:05 am
  • My point exactly.

    If he isn't here so what incentive has the team to renegotiate with him? Besides he's indicated he'd rather be elsewhere but only on his terms. Some genuine clarification of that situation seems to be a condition precedent to negotiation to begin.

    As well Earl's contract position is clear, and as such he has essentially made himself worth considerably less in a trade and sign situation. As said above, he wants to play elsewhere, but won't unless he gets paid what he wants; and the market has changed for his position, making his expectations somewhat unrealistic. Meanwhile he's got a deal that he finds unacceptable @ $8.5 million/yr.

    He totally has no leverage as you correctly observe. This will not quickly resolve if even at all without Thomas losing considerable $.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5252
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:07 am
  • That heartless Jerroh, our Earl is training so hard for him with low impact workouts.


    Come make an offer already.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 820
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:44 pm
  • With each snap in practice and in a Game by Thompson Earl becomes more expendable, at some point play difference will be negligible but cost will be huge.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24358
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:53 pm
  • Fade wrote:Let him sit. Then Franchise Tag him at the end of the year. Sometimes players need to be made an example of so the other players don't get any funny ideas about holding out.

    Strictly business, I don't hold any ill will towards Earl. I just don't want future players getting the idea it's a good idea to hold out. The Marshawn holdout led to the Kam holdout which is now the Earl holdout. That is 3 holdouts in 5 yrs. No more.

    I couldn't agree more.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6440
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:06 pm
  • I don't like 2nd round pick for a guy an entire offense has to account for all game.

    I do like swapping Earl on a new contract for Khalil Mack on a new contract haha.
    User avatar
    Danny Darko
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 407
    Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:45 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:25 pm
  • Sun Tzu wrote:
    oldhawkfan wrote:I know there is a thread dedicated to Earl Thomas but I thought it would be interesting to see how a poll would sort out the pulse of the board. In 2018 the top brass seemed all in for a run to the Owl considering the trades they made. Had he held out last year, they might have caved by now.

    The poll seems flawed since trading Earl for no less than a 2nd is only possible if another team is willing to give up a second. Since that seems unlikely, everyone who voted for trade Earl for no less than a 2nd voted to do nothing and hope. Hope is not a winning strategy.

    "Hope Is Not A Winning Strategy"?----Isn't that exactly what Earl is doing?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6440
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 pm
  • Danny Darko wrote:I don't mind a 2nd round pick for a guy an entire offense used to have to account for all game when he was younger.


    FIFY
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1814
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:48 pm
  • He might have gotten the deal he wants if Kam hadn't happened. The team cannot take the risk he is asking. As it is No team in the NFL has more cap invested in the Safety position.

    [url]https://overthecap.com/positional-spending
    [/url]
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4104
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 am
  • I read recently that ETs fines have now reached a potential $1million. I don't know if that's true, but is there a way to calculate the break even point where fines equal income? It surprised me that fines were that high already. Subtracting lost income for each game, fines, and any signing bonus that could be prorated from this season's income should show which game he'd (theoretically- if fines aren't forgiven) end up playing for free the rest of the season. Anyone know how to do that?
    chrispy
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 249
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:50 am


Re: Earl Thomas desirability poll
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:39 am
  • Danny Darko wrote:I don't like 2nd round pick for a guy an entire offense has to account for all game.

    I do like swapping Earl on a new contract for Khalil Mack on a new contract haha.


    let's make it happen, Earl is also my dawg, but I rather pay Mack then keep Earl.


    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 820
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Next


It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information