(Edit Myers Cut) Janikowski vs Myers

seabowl

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens with the placekicker competition. Although Janikowski has been signed to decent money Jason Myers is a pretty competent kicker in his ownright and is MUCH younger. Based on the $ i expect Jans to get the job but if "always compete" is the true montra once again then it could get interesting.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Sebastian is signed for bigger money and has more experience. The downside is he is older (more prone to injury) and he's a left footed kicker so needs to build trust with his holder. Remember most holders are right handed so when holding for a left-footed kicker your right hand is closer to his foot as he approaches the ball.
Place kickers may score the most points in a season but only if they win the mental game.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The competition will decide what the team does. Somehow though I suspect that Janikowski is ahead there but only b/c of his experience. He does have guaranteed money and has had a long and very consistent career to now which may also boost his chances and he has never been the head case that our last season’s train wreck kicker was, wide left, wide right. Myers will take the battle down to the end I suspect, but will come up short.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Who cares if Sebastian is over 40. As long as he’s productive, that’s all that is needed. Vinatieri is 45 years old and is still kicking strong.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, it's not his age, but coming off injuries that concerns me more than anything.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Aros":3btm9yp9 said:
Yep, it's not his age, but coming off injuries that concerns me more than anything.

But wasn't he healthy at the beginning of last year, and Oakland just decided to go with the young guy?

nrayorr

Reaction score
seabowl":3miwvlrj said:
Although Janikowski has been signed to decent money Jason Meyers is a pretty competent kicker in his ownright and is MUCH younger. Based on the $ i expect Jans to get the job but if "always compete" is the true montra once again then it could get interesting.

As far as the money is concerned, remember that Matt Flynn was signed for 15 million dollars and got beat out by RW who was signed to $830,000 and some change (could be wrong on that figure), so the money doesn't necessarily mean that the job is a lock.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2tm9hwfh said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1028710900427943937[/tweet]

That's welcomed news :2thumbs: ...... [tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1028710665727295488[/tweet]

cheese22

Reaction score
They can't count on Sebas to make a tackle on a kickoff. Probably too slow to even funnel a returner into the pursuit guys either. Having a decent athlete at the position may only matter 3 or 4 times a year, but it does matter.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Its a win win if both are good. Just don't suck like Blair Walsh and have some Hauscka reliability that we had before his final season.

Walsh cost us close games last year.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sea Bass looks like he just got off the Couch or came out of the stands to attempt the Kick for Charity contests they have everywhere. Seeing him does not scream athlete, sort of like Tom Dempsey was as a kicker.

Chapow

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":1ulqr02n said:
Aros":1ulqr02n said:

But wasn't he healthy at the beginning of last year, and Oakland just decided to go with the young guy?

No. He was placed on IR at the beginning of the season with a herniated disc in his back which caused him to miss the whole season. He made the final 53 man roster out of camp and was expected to be their kicker, but was placed on IR the day before the 1st regular season game.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raid ... d-reserve/

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo ... story.html

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
So anyone else thinking that we'll be going into the season with Janikowski and Dickson? I'd be cool with that.

Latest posts