Seahawks working out QB Josh Johnson

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Hard to believe Russ is entering his seventh season and we still don't have a developmental QB behind him. I'd love to understand the FO philosophy on this. Not like it's the most important position in all of sports or anything...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It'd be nice to have a backup that could somewhat push Russ to be better. Josh Johnson isn't one of them. Heck, I'd rather they bring T-Jack back (no I really don't want that).

James in PA

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3hkxo2hh said:
Hard to believe Russ is entering his seventh season and we still don't have a developmental QB behind him. I'd love to understand the FO philosophy on this. Not like it's the most important position in all of sports or anything...
Yea, we’ve had some major duds at that backup QB position forever. Can’t we just get someone behind Russ who can actually play? Pretty sad that Tavaris Jackson has been the best of the bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WmHBonney

Reaction score
toffee":lvgaz4ea said:
May be time to bring kaepernick

Have to disagree with this. He is no better than what we have and is too much of a distraction.

chris98251

Reaction score
The collusion case gets settled here soon, he would be viable and I am sure there is a friendly deal we could reach, now that the case will be determined there will be less distraction away from whomever signs him after the first week or so.

Fade

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3960ujbg said:

The guys they like always end up getting drafted earlier than they would like to pick. Significant draft stock in the position is wasted behind a perennial starter. So it would be better to take the higher draft picks and put it into other needier areas of the football team.

McGough was a nice bet in the 7th rd. He has the physical skill set they are looking for. A year on the practice squad may do him wonders if they have the patience to develop him. If not you can move on as he is only a 7th rounder.

Josh Johnson has more to do with Austin Davis. McGough is irrevelvant either they place him on the practice squad after he clears waivers, or they move on from him. He won't be the backup this year.

That Austin Davis INT was so bad, and on top of that Davis went into his shell after that play. He looked scared AF the rest of the game.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2slmhmlk said:
It'd be nice to have a backup that could somewhat push Russ to be better. Josh Johnson isn't one of them. Heck, I'd rather they bring T-Jack back (no I really don't want that).

LOL, anyone who fits that profile...what do you venture their cap hit would be?

getnasty

Reaction score
I feel like we've worked out Johnson 30 times and never signed him. If I remember right isn't he Marshawns cousin? I'm fine with Davis, that throw was horrible not something we've seen a lot from him. Maybe pick up Teddy Bridgewater if he gets cut.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I wonder what it would take to get Teddy Bridgewater here? He looked good last night and would be a vast improvement over who we currently have.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
mrt144":115q6l0b said:
hawkfan68":115q6l0b said:

LOL, anyone who fits that profile...what do you venture their cap hit would be?

Drafting a non project QB would be my preference. The cap hit would be fairly minimal this way. They hit on Wilson in the 3rd round but haven’t drafted a QB that high since. Their strategy of always compete doesn’t seem to be in play at the QB position.

Should be able to find a decent backup for $2-3M. Kellen Clemens and Matt Moore are two available that would be instant upgrades over Austin Davis.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Developmental rookie would be so much cheaper.

I would be surprised if the rookie doesn't end up as the backup.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Fade":2jtebxd5 said:
Thunderhawk":2jtebxd5 said:

The guys they like always end up getting drafted earlier than they would like to pick. Significant draft stock in the position is wasted behind a perennial starter. So it would be better to take the higher draft picks and put it into other needier areas of the football team.

McGough was a nice bet in the 7th rd. He has the physical skill set they are looking for. A year on the practice squad may do him wonders if they have the patience to develop him. If not you can move on as he is only a 7th rounder.

Josh Johnson has more to do with Austin Davis. McGough is irrevelvant either they place him on the practice squad after he clears waivers, or they move on from him. He won't be the backup this year.

That Austin Davis INT was so bad, and on top of that Davis went into his shell after that play. He looked scared AF the rest of the game.

Nailed it.

After Davis left, the jump for McGough, and with a crap 3rd string O-Line, was just too much for the kid at this point in his development/adjustment to NFL speeds. I do think McGough has a ton of upside. He has all the athleticism of Kirk Cousins (that's a very short book) and then some. In my book, Kirk Cousins is the poster child of developmental quarterbacks who done good. I think the Redskins burned a 5th rounder on him back in the day, same draft we took Russell in the 3rd. Of course, Cousins always had the leadership qualities. The college rivalry between Cousins and Wilson made for some great games, MSU vs. Wisconsin. I have no idea how McGough stacks up on the student-of-the-game + leadership side, but he has some pretty good models and coaching around.

That pick Davis threw... un-freakin-believable. What else can you say...

I'd like to think there's a backup QB out there with wheels, to keep the Read Option threat viable, maybe a QB that's already gone bust, but has some athleticism and now some humility, enough in the tank to get us through a couple games as a game manager.
Some bad examples follow, for amusement's sake... I'm coming up empty.
Vince Young... just say NO to this Narcissist. I suspect he is a full-blown NPD and would be toxic here.
Jake Locker... Hmm... he's still young enough. He could game manage a couple-three games while Russell gets over a boo-boo inflicted by those nasty NFL D-linemen.
Johnny Manziel... Young enough, and maybe hungry to succeed now?
Mike Vick... Could there be *anything* left in that tank now, and wouldn't Seattle dog lovers picket every practice and game?

Well, that was an amusing exercise, just to come up with a few names. Doug Flutie is 10 years too old now, so I didn't list him.

Damn good thing Pete and John have their scouts out searching for better ideas than the comical list I posted above. It will be interesting to see if they come up with anything! Isn't it scary when Johnny Manziel actually seems like a plausible option?

nrayorr

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think of this. I would want more DL come to camp before another QB.

mikeak

Reaction score
chris98251":1tmbhs4c said:
The collusion case gets settled here soon, he would be viable and I am sure there is a friendly deal we could reach, now that the case will be determined there will be less distraction away from whomever signs him after the first week or so.

Signing him now would clear the collusion case....

Latest posts