Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks working out QB Josh Johnson

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Re: Seahawks working out QB Josh Johnson
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:55 pm
  • Mistashoesta wrote:Guess they didn't like what they saw last night..

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/8/10/17 ... sh-johnson

Isn’t he like 800 years old?
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:18 pm
  • May be time to bring kaepernick

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:22 pm
  • Hard to believe Russ is entering his seventh season and we still don't have a developmental QB behind him. I'd love to understand the FO philosophy on this. Not like it's the most important position in all of sports or anything...
    "It was so loud Derrick Coleman heard it."
    Thunderhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:06 pm
  • It'd be nice to have a backup that could somewhat push Russ to be better. Josh Johnson isn't one of them. Heck, I'd rather they bring T-Jack back (no I really don't want that).
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:09 pm
  • Thunderhawk wrote:Hard to believe Russ is entering his seventh season and we still don't have a developmental QB behind him. I'd love to understand the FO philosophy on this. Not like it's the most important position in all of sports or anything...
    Yea, we’ve had some major duds at that backup QB position forever. Can’t we just get someone behind Russ who can actually play? Pretty sad that Tavaris Jackson has been the best of the bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:48 pm
  • toffee wrote:May be time to bring kaepernick

I hope you're joking...
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:06 pm
  • toffee wrote:May be time to bring kaepernick

Have to disagree with this. He is no better than what we have and is too much of a distraction.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:17 pm
  • The collusion case gets settled here soon, he would be viable and I am sure there is a friendly deal we could reach, now that the case will be determined there will be less distraction away from whomever signs him after the first week or so.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:29 pm
  • I don't blame JS. The back-ups looked awful last night.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 pm
  • Thunderhawk wrote:Hard to believe Russ is entering his seventh season and we still don't have a developmental QB behind him. I'd love to understand the FO philosophy on this. Not like it's the most important position in all of sports or anything...

The guys they like always end up getting drafted earlier than they would like to pick. Significant draft stock in the position is wasted behind a perennial starter. So it would be better to take the higher draft picks and put it into other needier areas of the football team.

McGough was a nice bet in the 7th rd. He has the physical skill set they are looking for. A year on the practice squad may do him wonders if they have the patience to develop him. If not you can move on as he is only a 7th rounder.

Josh Johnson has more to do with Austin Davis. McGough is irrevelvant either they place him on the practice squad after he clears waivers, or they move on from him. He won't be the backup this year.

That Austin Davis INT was so bad, and on top of that Davis went into his shell after that play. He looked scared AF the rest of the game.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:42 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:It'd be nice to have a backup that could somewhat push Russ to be better. Josh Johnson isn't one of them. Heck, I'd rather they bring T-Jack back (no I really don't want that).

LOL, anyone who fits that profile...what do you venture their cap hit would be?
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 pm
  • I would be surprised if they signed him. Could be just sending a message.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:40 pm
  • I feel like we've worked out Johnson 30 times and never signed him. If I remember right isn't he Marshawns cousin? I'm fine with Davis, that throw was horrible not something we've seen a lot from him. Maybe pick up Teddy Bridgewater if he gets cut.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:07 am
  • I wonder what it would take to get Teddy Bridgewater here? He looked good last night and would be a vast improvement over who we currently have.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:32 am
  • mrt144 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:It'd be nice to have a backup that could somewhat push Russ to be better. Josh Johnson isn't one of them. Heck, I'd rather they bring T-Jack back (no I really don't want that).

LOL, anyone who fits that profile...what do you venture their cap hit would be?

Drafting a non project QB would be my preference. The cap hit would be fairly minimal this way. They hit on Wilson in the 3rd round but haven’t drafted a QB that high since. Their strategy of always compete doesn’t seem to be in play at the QB position.

Should be able to find a decent backup for $2-3M. Kellen Clemens and Matt Moore are two available that would be instant upgrades over Austin Davis.
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:37 am
  • Developmental rookie would be so much cheaper.

I would be surprised if the rookie doesn't end up as the backup.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:10 pm
  • Fade wrote:
    Thunderhawk wrote:Hard to believe Russ is entering his seventh season and we still don't have a developmental QB behind him. I'd love to understand the FO philosophy on this. Not like it's the most important position in all of sports or anything...

The guys they like always end up getting drafted earlier than they would like to pick. Significant draft stock in the position is wasted behind a perennial starter. So it would be better to take the higher draft picks and put it into other needier areas of the football team.

McGough was a nice bet in the 7th rd. He has the physical skill set they are looking for. A year on the practice squad may do him wonders if they have the patience to develop him. If not you can move on as he is only a 7th rounder.

Josh Johnson has more to do with Austin Davis. McGough is irrevelvant either they place him on the practice squad after he clears waivers, or they move on from him. He won't be the backup this year.

That Austin Davis INT was so bad, and on top of that Davis went into his shell after that play. He looked scared AF the rest of the game.

Nailed it.

After Davis left, the jump for McGough, and with a crap 3rd string O-Line, was just too much for the kid at this point in his development/adjustment to NFL speeds. I do think McGough has a ton of upside. He has all the athleticism of Kirk Cousins (that's a very short book) and then some. In my book, Kirk Cousins is the poster child of developmental quarterbacks who done good. I think the Redskins burned a 5th rounder on him back in the day, same draft we took Russell in the 3rd. Of course, Cousins always had the leadership qualities. The college rivalry between Cousins and Wilson made for some great games, MSU vs. Wisconsin. I have no idea how McGough stacks up on the student-of-the-game + leadership side, but he has some pretty good models and coaching around.

That pick Davis threw... un-freakin-believable. What else can you say...

I'd like to think there's a backup QB out there with wheels, to keep the Read Option threat viable, maybe a QB that's already gone bust, but has some athleticism and now some humility, enough in the tank to get us through a couple games as a game manager.
    Some bad examples follow, for amusement's sake... I'm coming up empty.
    Vince Young... just say NO to this Narcissist. I suspect he is a full-blown NPD and would be toxic here.
    Jake Locker... Hmm... he's still young enough. He could game manage a couple-three games while Russell gets over a boo-boo inflicted by those nasty NFL D-linemen.
    Johnny Manziel... Young enough, and maybe hungry to succeed now?
    Mike Vick... Could there be *anything* left in that tank now, and wouldn't Seattle dog lovers picket every practice and game?

Well, that was an amusing exercise, just to come up with a few names. Doug Flutie is 10 years too old now, so I didn't list him.

Damn good thing Pete and John have their scouts out searching for better ideas than the comical list I posted above. It will be interesting to see if they come up with anything! Isn't it scary when Johnny Manziel actually seems like a plausible option?
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:36 pm
  • I'm not sure what to think of this. I would want more DL come to camp before another QB.
    nrayorr
    NET Rookie

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:40 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:The collusion case gets settled here soon, he would be viable and I am sure there is a friendly deal we could reach, now that the case will be determined there will be less distraction away from whomever signs him after the first week or so.

Signing him now would clear the collusion case....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:43 pm

It really is simple

1) You have a QB but lack at other positions so you don’t spend good draft picks on QB

2) Doesn’t matter how much you train most guys can never play an in this league. It is a crapshoot with 1st round guys. So you think they should keep roster spots for guys that MAYBE can play in three years in addition to a backup an???

I am totally fine with serviceable backups and hope for RW to stay healthy
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:44 am
  • What Would Belichick Do?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:01 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:What Would Belichick Do?

Cheat
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:06 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:What Would Belichick Do?

Draft a QB in the 7th round that had never played a snap of college ball, then turn around and trade him for a first round draft pick.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:59 pm
  • That was the worst I've seen Davis play so far. The fact that he completely fell apart after was troubling but the O-line in the second half was atrocious to so...
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:22 am
  • mikeak wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:The collusion case gets settled here soon, he would be viable and I am sure there is a friendly deal we could reach, now that the case will be determined there will be less distraction away from whomever signs him after the first week or so.

Signing him now would clear the collusion case....

So take one for the league? Maybe if he is willing to sign a realistic contract. If he turns out to be a good fit then great. If he sucks then he is done In the NFL with no one else to blame. The other guys we are looking at would probably still be available if Kaep doesn’t work out.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:18 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    brimsalabim wrote:What Would Belichick Do?

Draft a QB in the 7th round that had never played a snap of college ball, then turn around and trade him for a first round draft pick.

What Belichick did...
    Drafted Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2nd round in 2014. Allowed Garoppolo to develop behind Brady for roughly 3 years, seeing spot duty when Brady was suspended. Traded Garoppolo in 2017 to the Niners for a 2nd round 2018 pick.

I mean, it's not a bad question to ask, "WWBBD?" but the actual answer doesn't reveal any magic on Belichick's part. In fact, to me it seems like Belichick and the Patriots got fleeced on the trade, not coming out with a 1st round pick for Garoppolo.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:02 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:

What Belichick did...
    Drafted Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2nd round in 2014. Allowed Garoppolo to develop behind Brady for roughly 3 years, seeing spot duty when Brady was suspended. Traded Garoppolo in 2017 to the Niners for a 2nd round 2018 pick.

I mean, it's not a bad question to ask, "WWBBD?" but the actual answer doesn't reveal any magic on Belichick's part. In fact, to me it seems like Belichick and the Patriots got fleeced on the trade, not coming out with a 1st round pick for Garoppolo.

The Patriots have only won two Super Bowls in the last 13 seasons. Not everything that guy does is magical. Yeah, he's the best. But he does his share of stupid, too.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:

What Belichick did...

You are forgetting about Brissett.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:55 am
  • brimsalabim wrote:
    olyfan63 wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:

What Belichick did...

You are forgetting about Brissett.

Matt Cassel came from NE too, right?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:54 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information