Penny And Past Hawks Backs

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch or listen to the game, but looking at the box score, I'm really hoping he didn't look as bad as the stats show. How'd he do overall? Is Carson the sure-fire starter?

I did hear the Prosise didn't play due to injury. Go figure. What a panty waist. He's my Ketel Marte. Easily my most disliked Seahawk, and it's not even close.

adeltaY

Reaction score
The blocking wasn't great for Penny and he had a great run near the goal line where he bounced it out to the edge. Overall though, he didn't seem electric by any means. He seemed like an average RB - not particularly explosive, strong, or elusive. Carson, on the other hand, looked great! He seemed strong, cut well, and was decisive.

I'd say give Penny some time. His showing tonight didn't scream "first rounder" to me though on a purely athletic level. They didn't have him return any kicks either, unless I'm mistaken.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I thought he looked good at times and bad at times. On the block for Wilson's TD pass I thought he did well he engaged the rusher and kept him off Wilson. It wasn't textbook but it was good enough for Wilson to move out of there path and throw the TD. He had a nice move breaking it outside with a defender right on him for about 5 yards on the play right before the block he had to free Wilson for his TD pass. He was also caught in the backfield but that was on the O-line he was hit as soon as he got the handoff.

chris98251

Reaction score
He was sharing time so was not featured, was asked to do a lot of little things as well as run, he struggled a bit in pass blocking but then again this is the first live NFL action he has seen, he will adjust. The hole in his game was considered his pass blocking, as someone else in another thread stated, he was willing and had effort, the rest will come. Unlike Alexander who just would not try.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I wasn't overly impressed, but not necessarily that disappointed either. They didn't play him as much as I was hoping.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Truly looked like JAG out there. Nothing he did was particularly impressive. Had one nice run but it wasn’t anything that any other NFL-caliber RB wouldn’t have done

toffee

Reaction score
1. During OTA and TC. Pete was talkin up Carson, that was a bit odd considering Penny was our first round pick.
2, Pete recently releasedf Penny's weight at 236lbs, which is 16 lbs more than his combine weight.
3. Tonight's game.

Am I glad that we have Carson.

OP
OP
Thepeelsessions

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
So that begs the question, and I know it's really early to jump to conclusions, but does it seem like he was a wasted pick considering all the other holes this team had? Penny was hands down my favorite RB in this class, pre-draft. With how much John and Pete seemed to love Carson last year, it was kind of a shock when they took Penny with their first pick. I was pumped though. But hearing how great Carson is looking, and the fact that Penny isn't really making it a competition up to this point, and hearing how "meh" he looked tonight, it's kind of a bummer.

toffee

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1qsbk6ap said:
So that begs the question, and I know it's really early to jump to conclusions, but does it seem like he was a wasted pick considering all the other holes this team had? Penny was hands down my favorite RB in this class, pre-draft. With how much John and Pete seemed to love Carson last year, it was kind of a shock when they took Penny with their first pick. I was pumped though. But hearing how great Carson is looking, and the fact that Penny isn't really making it a competition up to this point, and hearing how "meh" he looked tonight, it's kind of a bummer.

What puzzled or bothered me the most was how or why Penny allowed himself to gain 16 lbs between combine and now.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1czlslkf said:

Carson's health has to be a big factor. He's had injuries dating back through university. Still, a first round pick is a lot to spend. Typically you want a Pro-Bowl caliber RB out the gate. There's still plenty of time. The line HAS to block better though, I can't fault Penny for some of the carries that went nowhere.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":2dzqvfjz said:
Thepeelsessions":2dzqvfjz said:

Carson's health has to be a big factor. He's had injuries dating back through university. Still, a first round pick is a lot to spend. Typically you want a Pro-Bowl caliber RB out the gate. There's still plenty of time. The line HAS to block better though, I can't fault Penny for some of the carries that went nowhere.

Agreed he was hit as he got the handoff twice that's on the O-line so he didn't get much help. We didn't see any explosive plays either though. What does all this mean not much it's just way to early to know. Carson looks like a pro bowl RB though so that's the goods news.

BigMeach

Reaction score
He had a couple of plays where you could see why they liked him and then a couple of plays where it's obvious he isn't used to the skill difference yet (the 2nd/3rd string lines weren't helping much either). Going from Mountain West Conference to the NFL has an insane change of median skill level (obviously) so I'm not going to hold the 1st preseason game against the kid.

Fade

Reaction score
I made a comment in the GamedayForum, about him being a little out of shape.

After thinking about it for a couple more hours. I think he spent his time laying around playing videogames, living off that 1st rd money. He has a pouch gut, when he should be rock solid.

He has naturally quick feet, and great vision so he can get away with it, and be an okay back.

They spent a 1st rd pick though, not a 4th rdr. The Seahawks have to be feeling a little buyer's remorse right now I'm sure. They aren't panicking by any means. It's just you invest a 1st rounder in a guy, and he comes back from the 6 week layoff looking all doughy, disappointing.

The natural talent is there, but he has to shed at least 10 lbs of bad weight.

He did eerily look like Shaun Alexander on more than a few plays, but a poorman's Alexander for sure.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Only the 1st preseason game, but he didn't look all that great to me. Definitely not ROY worthy.

OpHawk

Reaction score
Seems most are kind of down on his performance tonight. I actually like what I saw from him given the circumstances. Loved that shuffle move down in the red zone. That’s an element we haven’t possessed from the RB’s in some time.

I can’t comment too much on him potentially putting on some fat since the combine as I just don’t have enough info on that being the case or not.

But what I will say is if he is 16 pounds heavier and if that is via fat storage and not from working to pick up lean mass, then that’s a huge red flag for me. It would show he is not taking this seriously. It absolutely floors me that some of these athletes after earning the greatest opportunity of their lives to play in the NFL aren’t 100% dedicated to give themselves the best chance to succeed. I can’t even grasp the concept of not pouring every ounce of your resources into being the best player your body will allow. Millions of dollars and security for yourself and generations of your family at stake. How in the hell could you be so wreckless as to show up to your new team out of shape? Not sayin this is the case with Penny, as I said I don’t know if he did. But it certainly has been an issue with players before. Just crazy to me.

chris98251

Reaction score
He may have tried to put more weight on to have more anchor for blocking and thinking he could handle it, Wilson has done that also then lost it because of the loss of quickness. Forcing weight versus combined muscle mass with the weight is different. It's a learning experience for these guys trying to get a NFL body. Carson is bigger and kept his speed and power. He could learn for Chris.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I thought he was the fastest back we had. Control of gears is evident with him and he has more than two. He's somewhat playing like a rookie where he's continually bouncing outside, but that will change. The physical talent is blatant. If he applies himself, he doesn't have any meaningful limitations. Not unlike Carson, but different.

Fade

Reaction score
chris98251":24fzbfli said:
He may have tried to put more weight on to have more anchor for blocking and thinking he could handle it, Wilson has done that also then lost it because of the loss of quickness. Forcing weight versus combined muscle mass with the weight is different. It's a learning experience for these guys trying to get a NFL body. Carson is bigger and kept his speed and power. He could learn for Chris.

It very well could be that, and let us hope it is that. 16 lbs is a lot of weight, and it isn't well distributed. He keeps this up he will be Eddy Lacie in 2 months. Keep him away from the O-Lineman's table in the cafeteria at the VMAC.

Fade

Reaction score
I found it very strange how the local media wasn't covering Penny, or not saying anything about him really. Outside of Penny gaining weight. It was just Carson this, and Carson that. This 1st rd pick is the least covered 1st rd pick through training camp I can ever recall. Now we know why.

Carson just didn't win the competition this off-season. He beat Penny into submission. He beat him bad.

images

Chris Carson took no prisoners.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":3t0v5gaj said:
Thepeelsessions":3t0v5gaj said:

There is a MASSIVE difference between injuries that are possibly preventable through conditioning, like sprains, pulls, etc. and broken bones.

Unless you are suggesting Carson has weaker bones than others - keeping in mind extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - then you can't go painting him as injury prone just because he broke a hand in college and his leg in his rookie season. Have a look at his injury last year and ask yourself if he was injured due to being "injury prone" or if *any* running back would have had his leg broken under the same conditions.

Breaks happen - it's a contact game - and it's unfortunate when they do. but I don't see Carson as any more injury risk than any other player just because he got broken in half by some nasty tackling.

Latest posts