Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Penny And Past Hawks Backs

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Penny And Past Hawks Backs
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:21 pm
  • I wasn't able to watch or listen to the game, but looking at the box score, I'm really hoping he didn't look as bad as the stats show. How'd he do overall? Is Carson the sure-fire starter?

I did hear the Prosise didn't play due to injury. Go figure. What a panty waist. He's my Ketel Marte. Easily my most disliked Seahawk, and it's not even close.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Re: How'd Penny look?
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:27 pm
  • The blocking wasn't great for Penny and he had a great run near the goal line where he bounced it out to the edge. Overall though, he didn't seem electric by any means. He seemed like an average RB - not particularly explosive, strong, or elusive. Carson, on the other hand, looked great! He seemed strong, cut well, and was decisive.

I'd say give Penny some time. His showing tonight didn't scream "first rounder" to me though on a purely athletic level. They didn't have him return any kicks either, unless I'm mistaken.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:33 pm
  • I thought he looked good at times and bad at times. On the block for Wilson's TD pass I thought he did well he engaged the rusher and kept him off Wilson. It wasn't textbook but it was good enough for Wilson to move out of there path and throw the TD. He had a nice move breaking it outside with a defender right on him for about 5 yards on the play right before the block he had to free Wilson for his TD pass. He was also caught in the backfield but that was on the O-line he was hit as soon as he got the handoff.
    Last edited by Northwest Seahawk on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:46 pm
  • He was sharing time so was not featured, was asked to do a lot of little things as well as run, he struggled a bit in pass blocking but then again this is the first live NFL action he has seen, he will adjust. The hole in his game was considered his pass blocking, as someone else in another thread stated, he was willing and had effort, the rest will come. Unlike Alexander who just would not try.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:46 pm
  • I wasn't overly impressed, but not necessarily that disappointed either. They didn't play him as much as I was hoping.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:50 pm
  • Truly looked like JAG out there. Nothing he did was particularly impressive. Had one nice run but it wasn’t anything that any other NFL-caliber RB wouldn’t have done
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:59 pm
  • 1. During OTA and TC. Pete was talkin up Carson, that was a bit odd considering Penny was our first round pick.
    2, Pete recently releasedf Penny's weight at 236lbs, which is 16 lbs more than his combine weight.
    3. Tonight's game.

Am I glad that we have Carson.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 pm
  • So that begs the question, and I know it's really early to jump to conclusions, but does it seem like he was a wasted pick considering all the other holes this team had? Penny was hands down my favorite RB in this class, pre-draft. With how much John and Pete seemed to love Carson last year, it was kind of a shock when they took Penny with their first pick. I was pumped though. But hearing how great Carson is looking, and the fact that Penny isn't really making it a competition up to this point, and hearing how "meh" he looked tonight, it's kind of a bummer.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:09 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:So that begs the question, and I know it's really early to jump to conclusions, but does it seem like he was a wasted pick considering all the other holes this team had? Penny was hands down my favorite RB in this class, pre-draft. With how much John and Pete seemed to love Carson last year, it was kind of a shock when they took Penny with their first pick. I was pumped though. But hearing how great Carson is looking, and the fact that Penny isn't really making it a competition up to this point, and hearing how "meh" he looked tonight, it's kind of a bummer.

What puzzled or bothered me the most was how or why Penny allowed himself to gain 16 lbs between combine and now.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:10 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:So that begs the question, and I know it's really early to jump to conclusions, but does it seem like he was a wasted pick considering all the other holes this team had? Penny was hands down my favorite RB in this class, pre-draft. With how much John and Pete seemed to love Carson last year, it was kind of a shock when they took Penny with their first pick. I was pumped though. But hearing how great Carson is looking, and the fact that Penny isn't really making it a competition up to this point, and hearing how "meh" he looked tonight, it's kind of a bummer.

Carson's health has to be a big factor. He's had injuries dating back through university. Still, a first round pick is a lot to spend. Typically you want a Pro-Bowl caliber RB out the gate. There's still plenty of time. The line HAS to block better though, I can't fault Penny for some of the carries that went nowhere.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:16 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:So that begs the question, and I know it's really early to jump to conclusions, but does it seem like he was a wasted pick considering all the other holes this team had? Penny was hands down my favorite RB in this class, pre-draft. With how much John and Pete seemed to love Carson last year, it was kind of a shock when they took Penny with their first pick. I was pumped though. But hearing how great Carson is looking, and the fact that Penny isn't really making it a competition up to this point, and hearing how "meh" he looked tonight, it's kind of a bummer.

Carson's health has to be a big factor. He's had injuries dating back through university. Still, a first round pick is a lot to spend. Typically you want a Pro-Bowl caliber RB out the gate. There's still plenty of time. The line HAS to block better though, I can't fault Penny for some of the carries that went nowhere.

Agreed he was hit as he got the handoff twice that's on the O-line so he didn't get much help. We didn't see any explosive plays either though. What does all this mean not much it's just way to early to know. Carson looks like a pro bowl RB though so that's the goods news.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:18 pm
  • He had a couple of plays where you could see why they liked him and then a couple of plays where it's obvious he isn't used to the skill difference yet (the 2nd/3rd string lines weren't helping much either). Going from Mountain West Conference to the NFL has an insane change of median skill level (obviously) so I'm not going to hold the 1st preseason game against the kid.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    BigMeach
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:27 pm
  • I made a comment in the GamedayForum, about him being a little out of shape.

After thinking about it for a couple more hours. I think he spent his time laying around playing videogames, living off that 1st rd money. He has a pouch gut, when he should be rock solid.

He has naturally quick feet, and great vision so he can get away with it, and be an okay back.

They spent a 1st rd pick though, not a 4th rdr. The Seahawks have to be feeling a little buyer's remorse right now I'm sure. They aren't panicking by any means. It's just you invest a 1st rounder in a guy, and he comes back from the 6 week layoff looking all doughy, disappointing.

The natural talent is there, but he has to shed at least 10 lbs of bad weight.

He did eerily look like Shaun Alexander on more than a few plays, but a poorman's Alexander for sure.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:15 pm
  • Only the 1st preseason game, but he didn't look all that great to me. Definitely not ROY worthy.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:30 pm
  • Seems most are kind of down on his performance tonight. I actually like what I saw from him given the circumstances. Loved that shuffle move down in the red zone. That’s an element we haven’t possessed from the RB’s in some time.

I can’t comment too much on him potentially putting on some fat since the combine as I just don’t have enough info on that being the case or not.

But what I will say is if he is 16 pounds heavier and if that is via fat storage and not from working to pick up lean mass, then that’s a huge red flag for me. It would show he is not taking this seriously. It absolutely floors me that some of these athletes after earning the greatest opportunity of their lives to play in the NFL aren’t 100% dedicated to give themselves the best chance to succeed. I can’t even grasp the concept of not pouring every ounce of your resources into being the best player your body will allow. Millions of dollars and security for yourself and generations of your family at stake. How in the hell could you be so wreckless as to show up to your new team out of shape? Not sayin this is the case with Penny, as I said I don’t know if he did. But it certainly has been an issue with players before. Just crazy to me.
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:44 pm
  • He may have tried to put more weight on to have more anchor for blocking and thinking he could handle it, Wilson has done that also then lost it because of the loss of quickness. Forcing weight versus combined muscle mass with the weight is different. It's a learning experience for these guys trying to get a NFL body. Carson is bigger and kept his speed and power. He could learn for Chris.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 pm
  • I thought he was the fastest back we had. Control of gears is evident with him and he has more than two. He's somewhat playing like a rookie where he's continually bouncing outside, but that will change. The physical talent is blatant. If he applies himself, he doesn't have any meaningful limitations. Not unlike Carson, but different.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:05 am
  • chris98251 wrote:He may have tried to put more weight on to have more anchor for blocking and thinking he could handle it, Wilson has done that also then lost it because of the loss of quickness. Forcing weight versus combined muscle mass with the weight is different. It's a learning experience for these guys trying to get a NFL body. Carson is bigger and kept his speed and power. He could learn for Chris.

It very well could be that, and let us hope it is that. 16 lbs is a lot of weight, and it isn't well distributed. He keeps this up he will be Eddy Lacie in 2 months. Keep him away from the O-Lineman's table in the cafeteria at the VMAC.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:33 am
  • I found it very strange how the local media wasn't covering Penny, or not saying anything about him really. Outside of Penny gaining weight. It was just Carson this, and Carson that. This 1st rd pick is the least covered 1st rd pick through training camp I can ever recall. Now we know why.

Carson just didn't win the competition this off-season. He beat Penny into submission. He beat him bad.

Chris Carson took no prisoners.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:14 am
  • adeltaY wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:So that begs the question, and I know it's really early to jump to conclusions, but does it seem like he was a wasted pick considering all the other holes this team had? Penny was hands down my favorite RB in this class, pre-draft. With how much John and Pete seemed to love Carson last year, it was kind of a shock when they took Penny with their first pick. I was pumped though. But hearing how great Carson is looking, and the fact that Penny isn't really making it a competition up to this point, and hearing how "meh" he looked tonight, it's kind of a bummer.

There is a MASSIVE difference between injuries that are possibly preventable through conditioning, like sprains, pulls, etc. and broken bones.

Unless you are suggesting Carson has weaker bones than others - keeping in mind extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - then you can't go painting him as injury prone just because he broke a hand in college and his leg in his rookie season. Have a look at his injury last year and ask yourself if he was injured due to being "injury prone" or if *any* running back would have had his leg broken under the same conditions.

Breaks happen - it's a contact game - and it's unfortunate when they do. but I don't see Carson as any more injury risk than any other player just because he got broken in half by some nasty tackling.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:05 am
  • Fade wrote:I made a comment in the GamedayForum, about him being a little out of shape.

After thinking about it for a couple more hours. I think he spent his time laying around playing videogames, living off that 1st rd money. He has a pouch gut, when he should be rock solid.

He has naturally quick feet, and great vision so he can get away with it, and be an okay back.

They spent a 1st rd pick though, not a 4th rdr. The Seahawks have to be feeling a little buyer's remorse right now I'm sure. They aren't panicking by any means. It's just you invest a 1st rounder in a guy, and he comes back from the 6 week layoff looking all doughy, disappointing.

The natural talent is there, but he has to shed at least 10 lbs of bad weight.

He did eerily look like Shaun Alexander on more than a few plays, but a poorman's Alexander for sure.

It's hard to have the most speculative post on the internet, but you did it!
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:06 am
  • Fade wrote:I found it very strange how the local media wasn't covering Penny, or not saying anything about him really. Outside of Penny gaining weight. It was just Carson this, and Carson that. This 1st rd pick is the least covered 1st rd pick through training camp I can ever recall. Now we know why.

Carson just didn't win the competition this off-season. He beat Penny into submission. He beat him bad.

Chris Carson look like far and away the best back. Penny as other posters said looked like just another guy. He wasn't bad, and he even pulled a vintage Alexander cutback that was sick. He didn't strike me as "special" , "powerful" or "electric" either. His pass blocking was suspect, but we knew that coming into the game. Even there he bought Russell some more time as others have said. He looked very good out there on routes, and his hands were good in college. No doubt on whether he can do that.

I think he can be productive in this league. I just think he's going to be the type of back that doesn't really have big splash plays. He's great at the LOS, not particularly powerful, or elusive in the open field at this point. There were a couple of plays where I thought to myself "if this were Carson running this we probably would have gotten a few more yards on the play". I think he can be a workhorse back in the future, but he isn't going to jump out at you on highlight reels.

Another issue I saw is he was noticeably slower than he was in college. He didn't have the acceleration and pop that I saw when he was in college or at the senior bowl. He looked stiffer, and didn't quite have the same second gear. I contribute this to his extra weight. I think his combine weight, 220 is ideal for a running back like him. That is still doable come regular season. Too early to contribute that weight gain to anything. It could be laziness, it could be a coaching suggestion/decision.

The TL;DR version of this is --- some good moments, some bad moments, most were not good, nor bad. Consistent, but not spectacular, didn't really do anything to differentiate himself from any of our running backs.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:07 am
  • Athletes, for the most part, are extremely in tune with their bodies and eating etc.

If they gain weight right before the season starts, it's intentional. Relax guys.

This was his first outing within the NFL, cut him some slack.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:37 am
  • vin.couve12 wrote:I thought he was the fastest back we had. Control of gears is evident with him and he has more than two. He's somewhat playing like a rookie where he's continually bouncing outside, but that will change. The physical talent is blatant. If he applies himself, he doesn't have any meaningful limitations. Not unlike Carson, but different.

I agree with this assessment, it was clear to me he has a burst our other backs do not possess. I am excited to see how he grows.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:46 am
  • He looked too bulky. Whether it's muscle or fat 236 seems like too high of a weight to be as dynamic as we need him to be, though that's a concern about all of our RB's. We seem to have guys who are good at getting 3-4 yards a pop but not much beyond that, which is still an improvement over last year.
    ducks41468
    NET Rookie

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:48 am
  • Milehighhawk wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:I thought he was the fastest back we had. Control of gears is evident with him and he has more than two. He's somewhat playing like a rookie where he's continually bouncing outside, but that will change. The physical talent is blatant. If he applies himself, he doesn't have any meaningful limitations. Not unlike Carson, but different.

I agree with this assessment, it was clear to me he has a burst our other backs do not possess. I am excited to see how he grows.

Highly disagree with this. He looked slower and he didn't get up to speed as quick as Carson did. He looked notably slower off the line than he did in college. Does this mean he will be like that during the season? No, he is playing well above his college weight. 10-15 pounds could easily be shed come September. That being said, in this particular game he did NOT have the same kind of burst, or game speed that Carson was demonstrating.

He looked smoother than Carson for sure, but that is not the same thing as burst.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:48 am
  • Fade wrote:I found it very strange how the local media wasn't covering Penny, or not saying anything about him really. Outside of Penny gaining weight. It was just Carson this, and Carson that. This 1st rd pick is the least covered 1st rd pick through training camp I can ever recall. Now we know why.

This is so true! I've thought the same exact this this whole off-season or OTAs and TC. Hearing John and Pete talk about how they would've taken him at 18, but were able to move down and still get him, shooting down a potential intriguing offer for him, saying how they see him as a three down back that can do everything, and so on and so forth. Then barely a word on him. It's so weird. It's obvious Pete has a crazy affinity for Carson, but it's not like Carson took the league by storm last year. Don't get me wrong, I was pro Carson all TC and going into the season. But he wasn't particularly fast or shifty. He showed good hands, pass blocking, and a bulldozers mentality. Is Carson really THAT much better than last season that anything that Penny is doing is just moot, or is Penny just not standing out at all?
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:54 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Fade wrote:I found it very strange how the local media wasn't covering Penny, or not saying anything about him really. Outside of Penny gaining weight. It was just Carson this, and Carson that. This 1st rd pick is the least covered 1st rd pick through training camp I can ever recall. Now we know why.

This is so true! I've thought the same exact this this whole off-season or OTAs and TC. Hearing John and Pete talk about how they would've taken him at 18, but were able to move down and still get him, shooting down a potential intriguing offer for him, saying how they see him as a three down back that can do everything, and so on and so forth. Then barely a word on him. It's so weird. It's obvious Pete has a crazy affinity for Carson, but it's not like Carson took the league by storm last year. Don't get me wrong, I was pro Carson all TC and going into the season. But he wasn't particularly fast or shifty. He showed good hands, pass blocking, and a bulldozers mentality. Is Carson really THAT much better than last season that anything that Penny is doing is just moot, or is Penny just not standing out at all?

Carson was pretty dang good considering the line he was playing with. He showed the ability to turn what seemed like negative plays into small gains. He was clearly our best running back by a pretty good margin last season.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:58 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Fade wrote:I found it very strange how the local media wasn't covering Penny, or not saying anything about him really. Outside of Penny gaining weight. It was just Carson this, and Carson that. This 1st rd pick is the least covered 1st rd pick through training camp I can ever recall. Now we know why.

Carson was pretty dang good considering the line he was playing with. He showed the ability to turn what seemed like negative plays into small gains. He was clearly our best running back by a pretty good margin last season.

Agreed, but that's not saying a lot. The RB group last year was the worst I've ever seen, no contest. Carson only managed a 4.2 YPC average. Considering what Rawls and Lacy did, that 4.2 seemed like 7.5.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:27 am

You could tell he is special. He had a few plays where he was hit deep in the backfield. Someone at 236lbs shouldn't be able to move like that. On two runs he danced a bit where he would have been better off making one cut and go. It was his first game so people need to chill. A lot of respondents to this post are not open minded and you are suffering from the same issue Russell had his rookie year.....more than half the board was certain Flynn was the man.

Carson had two good runs but he had a huge hole on one and the other he made a guy miss...good run. Carson is a bit like Tim Hightower in my mind. He is a JAG, fans love him (so I know people are gonna hate on me for this), and I don't think he can sustain his running style....has never shown he can.

Blocking was visibly improved over last year, but still has a ways to go. Again....first game so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:31 am
  • Milehighhawk wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:I thought he was the fastest back we had. Control of gears is evident with him and he has more than two. He's somewhat playing like a rookie where he's continually bouncing outside, but that will change. The physical talent is blatant. If he applies himself, he doesn't have any meaningful limitations. Not unlike Carson, but different.

I agree with this. Not that I dislike Carson...he is just a Tim Hightower type. Teams need those guys too but not special by any means.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:32 am
  • toffee wrote:

What puzzled or bothered me the most was how or why Penny allowed himself to gain 16 lbs between combine and now.

Very puzzling if this is true and could be a bit of a flag. I also agree he looked meh.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:39 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    toffee wrote:

Very puzzling if this is true and could be a bit of a flag. I also agree he looked meh.

Players often do this to run faster 40 times. Its pretty common practice actually. Thats why game tape is more important than the underwear olympics.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:04 am
  • I wish PC never said anything about his weight, because everyone is spinning it to make a point.

Let me put this back to why PC said this.After the mock game, where Penny ran for 57 yards for a TD -keep in mind he outran DBs with his KrispyKreme filled belly, PC said he did this weighing 236 Ibs.

It was a compliment.

At the NFL Combine, he weighted 220lbs. We all know, players train for the combine, which means they do a lot conditioning drills to maximize their performance. They typically drop weight too. so that doesn't mean he showed up at his playing/listed weight.

Ex. Fluker is listed at 345lbs. Really? We all know he's pushing 360. It's probable Penny played over his listed weight 220 at SDSU.

And, no one who attended TC said anything about his weight, looking slow, sluggish, etc. It's now an issue because people are creating their own narrative based on what PC said.

Go to YouTube and look for Seahawks 360 Running Backs Gaunlet. I would embed the video, but don't know how. And tell me if he looks like the pot bellied RB.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:52 am
  • truehawksfan wrote:I wish PC never said anything about his weight, because everyone is spinning it to make a point.

Let me put this back to why PC said this.After the mock game, where Penny ran for 57 yards for a TD -keep in mind he outran DBs with his KrispyKreme filled belly, PC said he did this weighing 236 Ibs.

It was a compliment.

At the NFL Combine, he weighted 220lbs. We all know, players train for the combine, which means they do a lot conditioning drills to maximize their performance. They typically drop weight too. so that doesn't mean he showed up at his playing/listed weight.

Ex. Fluker is listed at 345lbs. Really? We all know he's pushing 360. It's probable Penny played over his listed weight 220 at SDSU.

And, no one who attended TC said anything about his weight, looking slow, sluggish, etc. It's now an issue because people are creating their own narrative based on what PC said.

Go to YouTube and look for Seahawks 360 Running Backs Gaunlet. I would embed the video, but don't know how. And tell me if he looks like the pot bellied RB.

It was accumulation of facts that are leading 12s. The lack of coverage by Pete and media over the camp period on Penny, very strange considering he was their prized rookie. The overwhelming praise and coverage on Carson, especially Carson's conditioning. Pete's mentioning of Penny's weight after mock game. Penny's meh game last night.

If Penny broke free a few tackles and gain good yardage last night, all the fat talk won't start, in fact, we will be praising his power by adding weight.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:55 am
  • Maybe I watched a different game but Penny looked like the most talented back we have. That's not a slight against Carson who looked good too. Penny looked quick, explosive and overall did pretty well for his first NFL action. He didn't leave many yards on the field and created for himself. I can't see how anyone thought Carson looked "incredible" and Penny looked "average". I could be way off base for sure and I was against taking a running back in the first round but that's what I saw. I feel confident the running game will be much better this year all around which is a good thing.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:06 am
  • I thought he looked good. He didn't have the advantage of playing behind the 1st oline most of the time like Carson.

Two plays really stuck out to me, where he easily evaded multiple two tacklers. Looks smooth and comfortable getting around the corner.

Plus I'm not looking to compare Carson and Penny, the who is better game. I think it's going to be a 1-2 punch, alternating type deal this year. I just want to see a better running game, overall.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:11 am
  • "Let me put this back to why PC said this.After the mock game, where Penny ran for 57 yards for a TD -keep in mind he outran DBs with his KrispyKreme filled belly, PC said he did this weighing 236 Ibs. "

KrspyKreme filled belly made me lol
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 am
  • He's a rookie in his first ever NFL game so i'll cut him some slack. Looks like he needs to lose 10lbs though. Thought he blocked well in the first TD drive.

I thought Mike Davis looked good against the second stringers though.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 am
  • Here is every time he handled the ball. I thought he looked good, the second and third carries in particular he created positive yardage out of essentially nothing. I'd like to see an ability to break more tackles or get more yardage after contact, but all in all, I thought it was a very positive start.

My only disappointment was on the two check down receptions, where he couldn't seem to wriggle free or move the defender to try and get the extra couple yards.

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhY0vmb-8bA[/youtube]
    Last edited by drrew on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:29 am
  • I thought Penny looked incredibly promising. His blocking was subpar compared to Carson's and he didn't have the threat of Russ on the field to mitigate attention (resulting in reckless run-blitzing from Colts linebackers out of 7-in-the-box), so he was bound to get worse stats.

But the phrase that struck me for Penny was "no-nonsense". He had some hard runs; he fought and shook off, pushed for extra yards, didn't dance excessively or avoid contact. That's where the weight helps him out, even if he could slim down a bit. And he had multiple runs that showed off a deceptive agility, not just the goal-line one. So he won't be a lightweight Davis, a stiff Lacy, a cutesy 2016-2017 Rawls, or a brittle Prosise.

Still a fan of Carson, but he, too, has a reputation for brittle. That's why Penny is here. It's still Preseason, but our RB stable is already of a vastly superior pedigree to the grab bag we assembled last year. I feel good.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:23 am
  • [quote“He’s a really good route runner and a good catcher,” Carroll continued. “He really was impressive throughout. He’s picked up a ton of stuff.”][/quote]
    https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... rotection/

“He caught the ball beautifully,” Carroll said. “He can do whatever we need to do in the throwing game. Schotty (Brian Schottenheimer) did a nice job of mixing some stuff in so we could see him doing different route concepts, so we had a real good variety of things that we looked at in and out of the backfield.”

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... down-back/

[quoteBob Condotta of The Seattle Times reports. "[Penny] has scat back qualities along with the ability of running in between the tackles," said Schottenheimer. "Everybody wants to see him pass protect, but I've been blown away by his ability to, again, diagnose the blitz, see where the blitz is coming from, and track his guy. It's been outstanding for a young back, one of the best if not the best I've ever been around."][/quote]
    https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... wn-skills/

Penny is just a rookie. And, it's just one preseason game. Can we see him play a couple of games before we can him a bust?
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 am
  • I'm sorry, are we talking about twilight team Carson or team Penny or are we talking about football? They have very different styles and a Carson/Penny 1-2 combo is exactly what we need.

Some of you fanboy freaks can be really wierd sometimes....
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 am
  • vin.couve12 wrote:I'm sorry, are we talking about twilight team Carson or team Penny or are we talking about football? They have very different styles and a Carson/Penny 1-2 combo is exactly what we need.

Finally, a voice of reason.

If Pete learned anything last year it's that Beastmode is a VERY rare RB that can carry the load game in and game out and remain healthy and durable.

Pete now knows that he's going to have to fall in line with the rest of the league and have 2-3 good RB's that he can depend on all year.

So this isn't a competition between Carson and Penny.........They're BOTH going to get significant carries and hopefully work in tandem to get our run game back on track.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 am
  • I'm not sure why he want to put on more weight he doesn't seem like a guy that can truck people. I hate that Brock compared him to Shaun Alexander, the softest back in history.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:56 am
  • Milehighhawk wrote:

I agree with you guys. Not only did he have that extra burst, but he's very smooth and that cutback/breaking it outside showed good vision and explosion. Combine that with his pass block that allowed RW to get outside and throw that TD, I'd give the kid good marks on the day.

If he truly did put on bad weight, it'll be off by week 1. A lot of these guys are still getting into game shape. The line didn't do Penny any favors, but overall I thought he didn't look lost and looked like he belonged. Going from SDSU to NFL 1st/2nd stringers is a HUGE jump in talent. Color me impressed.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:56 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:Maybe I watched a different game but Penny looked like the most talented back we have. That's not a slight against Carson who looked good too. Penny looked quick, explosive and overall did pretty well for his first NFL action. He didn't leave many yards on the field and created for himself. I can't see how anyone thought Carson looked "incredible" and Penny looked "average". I could be way off base for sure and I was against taking a running back in the first round but that's what I saw. I feel confident the running game will be much better this year all around which is a good thing.

Agreed. This reminds me of the Shaun Alexander / Ricky Watters debates from back in the day. It's not a perfect corollary but Penny is like Alexander in that he is a glider with subtle moves in tight areas that spring him while Carson is a physical slasher whose style is a bit more demonstrative, like Watters. Each style has its fans, but I think Penny will be the guy who can bust loose and go 60 yards, while Carson will be dependable 3-8 yard kind of back.

Penny has a lot more to show then he did last night and when he is more comfortable with his blockers you will see some special stuff.
    "It was so loud Derrick Coleman heard it."
    Thunderhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:03 am
  • getnasty wrote:I'm not sure why he want to put on more weight he doesn't seem like a guy that can truck people. I hate that Brock compared him to Shaun Alexander, the softest back in history.

Get outta here with that garbage.

You don't average over 300 carries and 1500 yards per season for 5 straight seasons in the NFL if you're soft.

We would be extremely fortunate if Penny becomes the next Shaun Alexander.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 am
  • KiwiHawk wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:

There is a MASSIVE difference between injuries that are possibly preventable through conditioning, like sprains, pulls, etc. and broken bones.

Unless you are suggesting Carson has weaker bones than others - keeping in mind extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - then you can't go painting him as injury prone just because he broke a hand in college and his leg in his rookie season. Have a look at his injury last year and ask yourself if he was injured due to being "injury prone" or if *any* running back would have had his leg broken under the same conditions.

Breaks happen - it's a contact game - and it's unfortunate when they do. but I don't see Carson as any more injury risk than any other player just because he got broken in half by some nasty tackling.

Welp. I never said he was injury prone, which to mean means someone like Arian Foster. Carson has an injury history. He hasn't just suffered bone breaks - he had a torn ACL in senior year of high school and pulled his hamstring the spring before the draft. Injury concerns are part of the reason he fell as far in the draft in the first place.

In Penny, we have someone who can shoulder the load if Carson misses time, which wouldn't be surprising given his history, but that doesn't mean I'm expecting Carson to miss time. I'm just saying that's part of the rational for taking Penny that early.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:39 am
  • Chapow wrote:
    getnasty wrote:I'm not sure why he want to put on more weight he doesn't seem like a guy that can truck people. I hate that Brock compared him to Shaun Alexander, the softest back in history.

Get outta here with that garbage.

You don't average over 300 carries and 1500 yards per season for 5 straight seasons in the NFL if you're soft.

We would be extremely fortunate if Penny becomes the next Shaun Alexander.

Reason why Watters started Shauns Rookie year he was soft and would not pass block, reason we telegraphed 3rd and long was because Shaun often pulled and would not pass block so we went with the other back or the FB draw play. Shaun only was tough when inside the 20, or when we played Washington that game and actually got pissed off and took over. Best game I ever seen him play all around. Wish he could have had that mentality every game, he would be in Canton and eclipsed Tomlinson easily.

The Washington game showed he had it in him, he left a lot more on the table and could have been another level kind of back if his heart or mentality was in it.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Next

It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information