Non X's and O's Casual First Preseason Game Observations

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Russell looked sharp in that first series. Very efficient...Carson and Penny showed flashes of how good they can be. Don't forget Davis. The first string OL gave Russell a nice clean pocket...A very small sample size of course but all-in-all they look improved. I think Solari's scheme is going to play to our strength.

Vannett caught a nice fastball in the endzone to cap a nice 75-yard drive out of our starting offense. I hope in year 3 he has finally figured it out. I think Dissly is going to be the biggest surprise out of our TE group. Killer blocking and soft hands...Zack Miller 2.0 anyone?

Rasheem Green had to be my favorite defensive player of the game. Just looks like a force in the making. T2, Flowers and Shaquem Griffin will be just fine, although none of them stood out other than they all appeared very fast and outside of Flowers' DPI (which was killer coverage but he draped the receiver physically before the ball got there, a total learning experience), I thought they all looked good. It's more opportunity and first game stuff than any indictment on their future productivity.

The 3 injuries SUCK but I hope none of them are serious. Hard to tell yet. In the NFL, the most innocuous-looking injury turns out to be devastating and visa versa.

All-in-all, a typical first preseason game. Some great, some good and some bad. Overall my impression is that we have a very young team with a lot of WANT TO, which is HUGE in this league. These young players are buying in and it's a matter of reps and game experience more than a question of talent.

This game did nothing to dissuade my opinion that we are going to surprise a lot of people this year. I can feel it.

JUST KEEP THE INJURY BUG AWAY PLEASE!

Seafan

Reaction score
From Pete's post game it sounds like the two tackle injuries aren't serious. Xrays negative for Jones.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Greeeeen! Man, he looked good tonight! If he can continue to improve and is a pass rush factor for us this year, that would be fantastic.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I thought the corners looked good. We are still allowing too much dink and dunk stuff, but that has been an issue the whole pete era due to his philosophy of protecting the topside. ot that I necessarily disagree with that philosophy, just hate seeing teams slowly march into field goal range.

The Jones injury (I think it was Jones, carted off), looked pretty bad. got rolled from behind. Hopefully nothing long term.

Procice got injured stretching, big surprise.

1st team offense looked good for the first time out. I agree the pass blocking looks improved run blocking not so much.

Sucks we lost, I'm so football malnourished in august that these preseason games hit like regular season. Always want to win. On to the next one. I will really be watching the run blocking, see if they begin to gel, and also what they are running as far as zone vs hybrid vs man. RB's looked good, just didn't have much to work with. To the eye looked like decent yards after contact, but not sure if that is statistically true. After last season 2 yards looks phenomenal lol.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Funny, the wins or losses of preseason I could give a rip. We all know they don't translate to the regular season, but as a fan, I get it...We always want to win whenever we step on the field, ESPECIALLY at home so I feel ya!

nrayorr

Reaction score
I know this is preseason, but I was a little miffed when the refs gave Indy a touchdown when the ball clearly didn't cross the goal line. Another thing I didn't like is the early whistles on a couple of plays that would've worked to our favor, but it is what it is. :34853_doh:

I thought the OL did much better and did give Russ time to survey the field. It wasn't until the third string was put in that we received all those penalties which killed us. We will be better than what the pundits are telling everyone.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
nrayorr":32zwb3pr said:
Another thing I didn't like is the early whistles on a couple of plays that would've worked to our favor, but it is what it is. :34853_doh:

Those early whistles really irked me as well. Officials sometimes are too eager to blow their whistles! LET THE PLAY PLAY OUT!!

jmahon316

Reaction score
First off let me start by saying I only got 6 hours of sleep in order to wake up at 0400 to watch the Seahawks play again, and regardless of all the mistakes and whiffs, it was so great to watch the team I love play again. With that being said, here we go:

First string offense looked great. Wilson had more time than I ever remember him having without scrambling for his life. HUGE IMPROVEMENT. The way the line opened that large gap for Carson made me want to scream in happiness. Penny didn't look as explosive and/or impacting as I thought he would be, but then again it is his first NFL game so I can't be too hard on him. It was really exciting to see the new WR's get some reps and catches in as well -- and boy was I happy to see Grayson getting some PR reps. I still think this guy has huge potential and I can't wait to see him shine.

I wasn't expecting too much on Defense being we have a lot of new faces and I wanted to reserve my opinions for when they actually played but man we had some diamonds shining. Green looked impressive, Shaqueem was dynamite, Jefferson looked great, Tre did as well as I'd expect him to as a rookie who switched to CB (I was excited to see him on the field though!), and I didn't see as much out of T2 as I'd hoped.

Dickson and Jani made me feel great about our punting/kicking chances this year. I absolutely loved seeing them get their kicks in (pun intended)

All in all, I'm really happy about this team. They made some mistakes but I'm hoping they can bounce back and really bring the wrecking ball into the division to shut all the naysayers and "professional analysts" up. Man do I love the Seahawks! BRING ON THE NEXT GAME!

TreeRon

Reaction score
If we ever have to rely on the third string o-line we are sunk. If the 1st string is a 10, the 2nd is a 5, the 3rd is a flat 0. There's got to be better players out there. Most of those 3rd stringers should be released. YIKES !!!
I thought some of the back-up DB's were not NFL material as well.
I thought Penny was underwhelming BUT he was forced to run behind the above mentioned poor O lines most of the time.
I agree with some of the talk on here that the vibe on Penny from the Hawks staff has been muted, esp. compared to Carson AND to what we are hearing about Guise. Time will tell. A couple of break away runs will end the negative talk.

King Dog

Reaction score
I really enjoyed watching Fluker last night. What a big beast. I wouldn't mind seeing Sweezy taking some reps at LG when he comes back. Sweezy, Britt, Fluker would be some nasty on the interior.

I'm not understanding why Penny played at 220 in college (and the combine for that matter) but decides now he needs to beef up to 236. That's a lot of extra weight.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
Penny is going to be our next durable S. Alexander. He is very elusive for a big man, and will be able to take/deliver blows unlike the rest of our running backs. Also I think between Penny, Carson and the improved Oline getting to the second level, we will where down the defenses to close out games like we did in 2013.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I was encouraged how the offense played. Line seemed to get some push in the running game, and created a pocket for Wilson, always a nice surprise to see that! :)

I know a lot of you were worried our receivers are worse than last year because we lost Richardson, but no worries. I'm telling you overall this group is better. We got a glimpse of Brown and Moore, they look good! Can't wait to see Marshall too.

Green and Mingo look like they can bring some pressure, which we'll really need. Thompson was all over the field. Flowers looked good, the one penalty he got, he was draped all over that receiver! If he gets to the point where he can do that without hooking and grabbing the receiver! We may have something.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Liked what I saw from the 1st team O and D. Thought the play of the 3rd team D was awful and the 3rd string OLine men looked like 3rd string OLinemen.

Was very happy with the play of each of the drafted players save McGough who likely was unprepared to be under as much pressure as quickly as he was.

For me the play of Penny, Green, Dissly, and Shaquem was exceptional. Green is going to be a beast, and Penny will grow into his job, Dissly will be reliable and Shaquem will be special. My word, Dickson can hoof it.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
If Jon Ryan punted last year like he did last night, we probably wouldn't have even drafted Dickson, unfortunately for Ryan it's too little too late, Dickson is legit.

Our first team ran on a 4th and 1 against their first team, and we picked it up.

Wilson made a check and either changed the play or the blocking at the LOS, then Carson proceeded to rip of 10-12 yards. Great to see the our QB take command like that, our Oline to be on the same page and open the hole, and our RB take advantage.

mrt144

Reaction score
I really enjoyed some of the passes to running backs - something that was sorely overlooked and not utilized nearly enough or done well previously.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Dickson was great.
Everything else looked good.
And the most gratifying aspect, even though it was preseason, was a score on the opening drive.
Bevel who?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
T-Hawk":tl38grei said:
If Jon Ryan punted last year like he did last night, we probably wouldn't have even drafted Dickson, unfortunately for Ryan it's too little too late, Dickson is legit.

Did Ryan punt last night? I thought I only saw Dickson out there. I could be wrong.

But yes i agree

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah Ryan had 3 punts, including the first one, and averaged 46 yards. He actually did pretty good, but Dickson completely showed him up still.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part...
But, didn't it seem like Russ was pulling the trigger quicker on his passes?
He also seemed to be throwing into tighter coverage than usual.
That TD pass to Vannett when he was draped seemed completely out of his norm!