Post Game - OL talk - preseason Colts.

toffee

Reaction score
How did our starting OL do? Our backups? Clearly we didn't see any improvement from Fant ...

Seymour

Reaction score
Shouldn't we wait for the game to end for post game talk? It's middle of the 3rd

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":10aivccm said:
Shouldn't we wait for the game to end for post game talk? It's middle of the 3rd
you are right Seymour, it's premature lol

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
So Fant was abused, Battle and Jones were hurt, sounded like Ifedi's job security suddenly got a boost?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Going by memory:

-Run blocking wasn't great for the first team, but they opened at least one big hole
-Pass blocking was good for the first team OL! Wilson had time, which was really nice.
-Depth looked pretty bad in all aspects, lots of free rushers and backs hit behind the line
-I saw Fant absolutely destroyed on a run block :(

johnnyfever

Reaction score
adeltaY":27aldjq4 said:
Going by memory:

-Run blocking wasn't great for the first team, but they opened at least one big hole
-Pass blocking was good for the first team OL! Wilson had time, which was really nice.
-Depth looked pretty bad in all aspects, lots of free rushers and backs hit behind the line

Yep, run blocking horrid, just total collapse on several of those. 2nd and 3rds left a ton to be desired. First time out though in real hit territory, so maybe they can learn a bit.

I also want to go back to see if we are going zone or man on some of those. The camera work sucks for replay in preseason, but anyone else catch if we have changed up the gameplan much from cable?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
adeltaY":kip7ikaq said:
Going by memory:

The starting five?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adeltaY

Reaction score
I'm not sure johnny, they didn't show many replays and I don't have the expertise to tell just by seeing it once whether it was man or zone. Also, keep in mind the Colts don't have a great front. We'll see much more talent going against the Rams, Niners, and Cards, not to mention the Raiders, Chargers, and Broncos (among others) this season. :/

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Jones X-rays negative looks like he dodged a bullet sprained ankle according to Pete's post game presser. That's great news .

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3pou1dpb said:
Jones X-rays negative looks like he dodged a bullet sprained ankle according to Pete's post game presser. That's great news .

I read that Jones wasn’t having a good game before he was hurt?

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
toffee":2s99ajxj said:
Northwest Seahawk":2s99ajxj said:

Everyone seems to think he's gonna a good OT. Even Ray Roberts thinks he'll be a solid swing tackle. He's a rookie he's not going to dominate in his first game. There's Ifedi him and Battle those are Seattle RT's as of now so they were both injured not sure what your point is would you rather he was out for the year.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":175a2rcg said:
toffee":175a2rcg said:
Northwest Seahawk":175a2rcg said:

Everyone seems to think he's gonna a good OT. Even Ray Roberts thinks he'll be a solid swing tackle. He's a rookie he's not going to dominate in his first game. There's Ifedi him and Battle those are Seattle RT's as of now so they were both injured not sure what your point is would you rather he was out for the year.

of course not, I was hoping Jones could be our starting RT.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
toffee":ucl6d09y said:
Northwest Seahawk":ucl6d09y said:
toffee":ucl6d09y said:
Northwest Seahawk":ucl6d09y said:

of course not, I was hoping Jones could be our starting RT.

Ifedi actually played fairly well tonight . Jones and Battle are competing for the backup spot.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I didn't get to watch the game, how many series did Ifedi play? I didn't hear his name mentioned, so figure no news was good news.

adeltaY

Reaction score
toffee":1gi3ivix said:
I didn't get to watch the game, how many series did Ifedi play? I didn't hear his name mentioned, so figure no news was good news.

Sorry, toffee, I bet you found out by now, but just in case, the starting five were Brown-Pocic-Britt-Fluker-Ifedi.

Ifedi didn't have any penalties. Fluker had a false start, but we overcame it, although required a 4th and 1 conversion that series. I saw others mention Ifedi was lost on a run block, though it was one where the rest of the line opened a huge hole for Carson and Fluker did a great job getting to the second level and making a key block there. I didn't notice Ifedi one way or another.

Fade

Reaction score
It's impossible to evalute O-Line play live. You have to see the film.

So just speaking in sweeping generalities.

The 1st Unit looked pretty good. Russell had a pocket and looked more comfortable than he ever has. He wasn't seeing ghosts, he didn't have happy feet, (Which means he trusts his protection. He hasn't had that in a long time.) He scrambled at appropriate times, and didn't scramble for the sake of scrambling. (Do note that Russell would do this on DOA plays to try and salvage them. Bevell had a lot of them.) In the running game they were carving out creases, a huge improvement from a bunch of guys whiffing and the backs having to constantly deal with defenders in the backfield. Not many penalties either.

The biggest upgrade to the team wasn't a player but, coaches Schotty & Solari. I am not saying that based on the results, I am saying that based on how much smoother the offense looked, the play variation, discipline, tempo, and cohesion the 1st unit played with and displayed. It was obvious.

The 2nd Unit things got rough. Fant looked out of shape compared to last year pre-injury, and underwhelmed. BATTLE & JONES both got hurt, and they had to bring out the cart. Apparently Battle suffered a sprained knee, and Jamarco Jones suffered a sprained ankle. After that the play got too sloppy to even decipher.

LT Brown -- LG Pocic -- C Britt -- RG Fluker -- RT Ifedi

Key Reserves
G Sweezy
C Hunt
G Roos
T Fant
T Jones (Probably will be inactive to start the year. I don't see them IR'ing him.)

Ifedi's prayers were answered. He didn't commit a penalty, and all of his primary competition is hurt. Pencil him in as the week 1 starter @ Denver.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Watched it several times and a few things jumped out to me. First was the play of Fant. He does not look like he should be out there right now. He looked sluggish and he got embarrassed really badly a few times. I saw him slouch a few times, that is absolutely a no go for a lineman. On those plays he got embarrassed. He just looks out of practice, and out of shape. I think some of it has to do with him learning a whole new scheme.

His best play was arguably on one of the sacks he gave up. I'm going to preface this with saying it could have been his mistake. Someone didn't take the right assignment, either him or (don't remember who was next to him). He takes the defensive tackle out of play, and immediately deflects the defensive end away. Austin Davis sits 15 yards off the LOS, didn't step up in the pocket, he just sat there like a statue. If this was Russell Wilson he would have been able to take off for at least a 10 yard gain off of this play. Fant took on two defenders. Now... whether this was on Fant or the other lineman is the main question. Only the linecoach can answer that question.

Fluker looked good in runblocking, he crushed several of his blocks. Didn't look to be a liability in the passing game, which was his huge knock. I believe Carson's biggest run came from his side. What really stood out about him is how well he did at the second level.

Britt looked good in pass protection. He never gave up any ground, he also didn't get pushed in the running game either. Next to Duane I think he is our best lineman.

Procic and Duane opened up a nice crease for Carson to sneak through. Procic did struggle at the point of attack at times though. I saw him get pushed back in the run game when I keyed in on him. He doesn't hold his ground well here.

Duane Brown looked very good. He stonewalled anyone who dare defied him. He had great form and he was moving like a spry young fella. Everything about his blocking was text book.

Ifedi didn't stand out for good or for bad. He didn't make penalties, and he kept mistakes to an unusual minimum by his standards. He got quite a bit of help from Vannett though. Vannett made some nice rubs on defenders. He looked very adept at stymieing would be pass rushers before going out to get passes. If only Jimmy Graham was able to do this.

Those are the main ones I was keying in on. Didn't pay much attention to Battle, or Jones. Was more interested in seeing how goofy our back up Quarterbacks looked. Austin Davis in particular looked like a baby Giraffe on ice skates.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Good writeup Spin, thanks!

Do you think Fant did poorly mainly because he is still working back from injury or did he regress technically? He looked pretty good last preseason against much better competition.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
There was exquisite pass-blocking a lot, even on the interception in the end zone.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris98251

Reaction score
Compared to last year the line looked All Pro last night, it will only get better. Thank God for Solari.

Latest posts