Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Trust The Process.

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:20 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Fair enough, but injuries did have a part in the season and how it turned out.


    You mean like Lacey coming up with a case of dislocated chopsticks? :twisted: :lol: :stirthepot:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5573
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:22 pm
  • If they would have put some "China Food" in the End Zone, he could have done something :stirthepot:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10408
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:31 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Fair enough, but injuries did have a part in the season and how it turned out.


    As does every season with every team.

    No excuses...............The 2017 Seattle Seahawks, too old, too injured, too negative, too distracted and too depleted.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13585
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:32 pm
  • A lot of too's that's for sure
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10408
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:53 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:If they would have put some "China Food" in the End Zone, he could have done something :stirthepot:


    I felt that Lacey would've performed better if he was allowed to use his rascal scooter. He could've put the football in his little front cart.
    User avatar
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 683
    Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 am
    Location: Bremerton, WA


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:59 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:How many teams lost THAT MANY pro bowl level players and still were a real FG kicker away from winning 11, w/one of the worst O Lines we have ever seen? None
    You can't lose Sherm, Avril, Kam etc. all in the same season and expect them to be on top of their game.
    It's certainly not why they only won 9. But it flat out was a factor. One of many factors in a really strange season.


    But that's my point, these guys weren't playing at a Pro Bowl level when they got hurt in the first place.


    Proof? Because all the PFF metrics I saw out there says they were. If you're gonna fall back on stats, Bennett had eight sacks in 2017, a career high.

    Lose that many Pro Bowl players and your defense is going to suffer. It's too bad that your cliched "no excuses" act doesn't have room for that.

    Also, we suffered no significant injuries in 2013-2014.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16040
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:20 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:How many teams lost THAT MANY pro bowl level players and still were a real FG kicker away from winning 11, w/one of the worst O Lines we have ever seen? None
    You can't lose Sherm, Avril, Kam etc. all in the same season and expect them to be on top of their game.
    It's certainly not why they only won 9. But it flat out was a factor. One of many factors in a really strange season.


    But that's my point, these guys weren't playing at a Pro Bowl level when they got hurt in the first place.


    Proof? Because all the PFF metrics I saw out there says they were. If you're gonna fall back on stats, Bennett had eight sacks in 2017, a career high.

    Lose that many Pro Bowl players and your defense is going to suffer. It's too bad that your cliched "no excuses" act doesn't have room for that.

    Also, we suffered no significant injuries in 2013-2014.


    Pfffft... :roll:

    Except for Pussy Harvin at $13million to play in 1 regular season game of course!
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5573
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:22 pm
  • I trusted the process last year but watched Russell Wilson get beat to a pulp while he ran and threw for his life. Of course I still pull for the team but Pete and John will have to earn back my trust. Of course "my trust" and "your trust" don't matter. If they have Russell Wilson and the team's trust then that is all they really need.

    and for the record Bennett's 8 sacks put him in a 6 way tie for 25th in the NFL .... not awful but I would not term that a "pro bowl" type year.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4141
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:49 pm
  • So to be clear, the Seahawks should get a pass for injuries even though injuries affect every other team and there is ample time to plan?

    Or they should get a pass because we lost Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas) but things will be better this year even though we no longer have Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas)?

    The injuries hurt. Not scoring in the RZ for years, not using our best weapons on offense for years, and not bothering to score TDS much at all in the 1st half last year likely hurt more.

    Instead of being upset that after 4 or 5 stops the defense gave up important scores to lose the game - maybe we should wonder why the offense was not bothering to score TDs at all after all these stops?

    The injuries hurt. The stupid decisions hurt more.

    Injuries are not an excuse, not several years in a row. They are an event you need to plan for.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3336
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:06 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:So to be clear, the Seahawks should get a pass for injuries even though injuries affect every other team and there is ample time to plan?

    Or they should get a pass because we lost Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas) but things will be better this year even though we no longer have Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas)?

    The injuries hurt. Not scoring in the RZ for years, not using our best weapons on offense for years, and not bothering to score TDS much at all in the 1st half last year likely hurt more.

    Instead of being upset that after 4 or 5 stops the defense gave up important scores to lose the game - maybe we should wonder why the offense was not bothering to score TDs at all after all these stops?

    The injuries hurt. The stupid decisions hurt more.

    Injuries are not an excuse, not several years in a row. They are an event you need to plan for.


    Which is why you get backups that are competent enough to fill in when someone goes down. WE were that way for a few years with the LOB. Then those went on to get PAID by someone else and we have been unable to backfill where we had them available holes. The draft has been abismal as far as having people that could be linemen on the offense. They dont do what we want even in the early rounds. That is why we had projects. Yes, we had PROJECTs because the college level draftees were not up to spec. But that is life....ON TO THURSDAY....and Beyond.....
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8098
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:45 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:How many teams lost THAT MANY pro bowl level players and still were a real FG kicker away from winning 11, w/one of the worst O Lines we have ever seen? None
    You can't lose Sherm, Avril, Kam etc. all in the same season and expect them to be on top of their game.
    It's certainly not why they only won 9. But it flat out was a factor. One of many factors in a really strange season.


    But that's my point, these guys weren't playing at a Pro Bowl level when they got hurt in the first place.


    Proof? Because all the PFF metrics I saw out there says they were. If you're gonna fall back on stats, Bennett had eight sacks in 2017, a career high.

    Lose that many Pro Bowl players and your defense is going to suffer. It's too bad that your cliched "no excuses" act doesn't have room for that.

    Also, we suffered no significant injuries in 2013-2014.


    Yes, PFF had Kam as a top graded safety and Sherman was giving up super low yards per coverage snap, as was normal for him. I saw no dropoff from Kam in the run game.Looking at raw tackle numbers and assists doesn't tell the full story.

    Sam agrees:

    As for interceptions, Richard Sherman had two in 2017 before he got hurt and two total in 2015, when he was a second team All-pro and a Pro bowler.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:15 pm
  • Injuries happen for a couple reasons, but ours I think were due to wear and tear and ageing, as you age your get more rigid and less flexible unless you really work at it like that freak of nature Ichiro, add all the extra playoff games and amount of time the defense was on the field versus the offense it was going to happen. We held our hand a bit longer then we should have, yeah there was a bit of nostalgia and comfort with those guys, but the flags were there. Even if one player isn't hurt but those around him brought in at the same time start having issues that's an alarm clock going off, keep hitting the snooze and you get our situation.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25019
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:25 pm
  • Thunderhawk wrote:"Trust the process" is a cliche adapted by usually failing enterprises in an attempt to buy more time. It actually means: "Look, we get that we have mismanaged things for awhile but you can totally trust us not to mismanage things this time." Except that it's the same folks in charge, which is both good and bad.

    Good: same management that dominated the NFC and won a Super Bowl. Bad: same management that made poor trades, bad draft picks, imprudent resignings, and LOST a Super Bowl.

    I love Pete Carroll but am not sold on Schneider as a talent evaluator. He's massively regressed to the mean and this year will prove whether the last two drafts were worth a damn. Ultimately the deterioration of a formerly dynastic roster is due to a number of factors, some of which were bad luck, but the talent atrophy is primarily due to JS. Schneider has been getting the Cable/Bevell treatment from PC: loyalty despite sub-par results. Always compete.

    If trusting the process means a three year rebuild then I emphatically do not trust the process.


    Any process worth trusting has time constrained benchmarks and action plans for missed benchmarks and some leeway for unexpected variables.

    Sadly we arent privy to anything like this from the team and nobody in a coach or FO position likes being held accountable (only a little more so than your average hump does) because the only tool available seems to be firing. It is madness how coach labor is simultaneously sink or swim but once youve been around long enough youll always have a job somewhere, no matter how bad youve performed.

    And fwiw trusting a nebulous process when the outcomes are the only tangible thing we see seems like a hard sale for me. You dont get to black box how you do things and then disregard repeated failures as outliers of expected outcomes. Unless you run a hedge fund I guess?
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3180
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:32 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Aros wrote:
    Thunderhawk wrote:"Trust the process" is a cliche adapted by usually failing enterprises in an attempt to buy more time. It actually means: "Look, we get that we have mismanaged things for awhile but you can totally trust us not to mismanage things this time." Except that it's the same folks in charge, which is both good and bad.


    Meh. Let's just say we differ on our cynicism level. I get it's not all rosey and rainbows but I for one have zero doubt these two can lead us to the promised land one more time.

    Will it happen? Who knows? But I would like to side on positivity versus the alternative.


    I would trust someone who built a Champion from nothing to do it again versus a GM and Coach who took someone's elses talent at the right time for it to season to win one.

    They know the formula, they know the work and effort needed, they also now know that after you get there what will come from it and the work needed to shorten the turn around time to get back there.



    The frustration and cynicism may come from there willingness to abandon the formula at the wrong time. But, it's also hard to blame them. they had a once in a generation group of players and tried to hang on to them as long as they could. It almost got to another Super Bowl. And then... it started to wobble, then crash.

    Here we are, after the crash, which is pretty much where Pete and JS came on to begin with.

    Im more excited about the team going into this year then the prospects of having Sherman, Bennett, Jimmy back again. That wasn't working anymore. At least this is an unknown.


    It will be exciting no doubt. I really cant wait to see how our offense does and to what extent things change.

    Its like picking up the next book in a series you enjoy with fresh faces but some favorite antagonists and protagonists still kicking around. I was borderline bored with the story of last season halfway in but its hard to pass on a chance of athletic magic.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3180
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


Re: Trust The Process.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:36 pm
  • Why do I keep reading this as a Prosise thread?
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1585
    Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:12 pm
  • Pre-Season is the right time to push for discovery of the limits of what a player can and can not do.

    “(Second-year safety Tedric Thompson) has just made more plays and he has been really aggressive in the throwing game and in the running game. He’ll find what he can do and what he can’t do, and I’m asking him now to go for it – at all times. Go for every read, every look you have. Find out really where are the boundaries here for what you can go for. He’s really instinctive and he’s acting on that. We’re trying to free him up and not be inhibited and not be kind of cautious and careful. … Pete Carroll


    I totally Trust the pre-season portion of The Process

    Go Hawks!
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: Trust The Process.
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:18 pm
  • Thunderhawk wrote:"Trust the process" is a cliche adapted by usually failing enterprises in an attempt to buy more time. It actually means: "Look, we get that we have mismanaged things for awhile but you can totally trust us not to mismanage things this time." Except that it's the same folks in charge, which is both good and bad.


    Exactly. The Philadelphia 76ers have been using that phrase for years now. Lord, I hope the Seahawks dont adopt that lame, tired mantra.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1075
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:23 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Or they should get a pass because we lost Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas) but things will be better this year even though we no longer have Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas)?


    Was going to say the same thing. A lot of people saying last years problems were caused by injuries to those players, are the same people claiming we are going to surprise and fight for a playoff spot although we no longer have those same players going into this season. Interesting.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1075
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:09 pm
  • I think the Bills have pushed for "Trust the Process" as their rebuild slogan. I know every team uses it, but I've seen it most strongly associated with them recently.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Trust The Process.
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:11 pm
  • Thunderhawk wrote:"Trust the process" is a cliche adapted by usually failing enterprises in an attempt to buy more time. It actually means: "Look, we get that we have mismanaged things for awhile but you can totally trust us not to mismanage things this time." Except that it's the same folks in charge, which is both good and bad.

    Good: same management that dominated the NFC and won a Super Bowl. Bad: same management that made poor trades, bad draft picks, imprudent resignings, and LOST a Super Bowl.

    I love Pete Carroll but am not sold on Schneider as a talent evaluator. He's massively regressed to the mean and this year will prove whether the last two drafts were worth a damn. Ultimately the deterioration of a formerly dynastic roster is due to a number of factors, some of which were bad luck, but the talent atrophy is primarily due to JS. Schneider has been getting the Cable/Bevell treatment from PC: loyalty despite sub-par results. Always compete.

    If trusting the process means a three year rebuild then I emphatically do not trust the process.

    Yeah the title of this thread gives me the willies. I hear that all of the time at my job, where mismanagement and micromanagement are the SOP (Standard Operating Procedure), If I had $20 everytime I heard “Trust the process” or” synergy” at work I could retire.

    Hanging on to failing offensive coaches for WAY too long has givin me pause in the recent past to not trust the process...... but since they have since remedied that problem and I REALLY LIKE this draft class I’m cautiously optimistic for this season. Plus we have a franchise QB that will be better just by making those coaching changes alone.

    I think there will be bumps along the road, but I think if this team is relatively healthy they will can be stealthy good.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23818
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Trust The Process.
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:54 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Or they should get a pass because we lost Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas) but things will be better this year even though we no longer have Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas)?


    Was going to say the same thing. A lot of people saying last years problems were caused by injuries to those players, are the same people claiming we are going to surprise and fight for a playoff spot although we no longer have those same players going into this season. Interesting.


    We lost some defensive talent but improved the running game and offensive line. Call that a wash. Then remember we got 9 wins last year with a terrible kicker.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16040
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:02 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Thunderhawk wrote:"Trust the process" is a cliche adapted by usually failing enterprises in an attempt to buy more time. It actually means: "Look, we get that we have mismanaged things for awhile but you can totally trust us not to mismanage things this time." Except that it's the same folks in charge, which is both good and bad.


    Exactly. The Philadelphia 76ers have been using that phrase for years now. Lord, I hope the Seahawks dont adopt that lame, tired mantra.


    I hope they don't use the same mantra either but Phila is a solid team sooooo, there is that.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4945
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:23 am
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Thunderhawk wrote:"Trust the process" is a cliche adapted by usually failing enterprises in an attempt to buy more time. It actually means: "Look, we get that we have mismanaged things for awhile but you can totally trust us not to mismanage things this time." Except that it's the same folks in charge, which is both good and bad.


    Exactly. The Philadelphia 76ers have been using that phrase for years now. Lord, I hope the Seahawks dont adopt that lame, tired mantra.


    I hope they don't use the same mantra either but Phila is a solid team sooooo, there is that.


    Yeah, after they tanked for 5 straight years. They were so bad the league had to step in. Is that what we really want?
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1075
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:28 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Or they should get a pass because we lost Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas) but things will be better this year even though we no longer have Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas)?


    Was going to say the same thing. A lot of people saying last years problems were caused by injuries to those players, are the same people claiming we are going to surprise and fight for a playoff spot although we no longer have those same players going into this season. Interesting.


    We lost some defensive talent but improved the running game and offensive line. Call that a wash.


    That remains to be seen.

    Then remember we got 9 wins last year with a terrible kicker.


    And again, we dont know if the kicking spot is actually improved. Not a lot of confidence going in with a 40 year old kicker that couldnt even play last season.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1075
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:11 am
  • We get it man, you think that they are going to be a 3 win team :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10408
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:01 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:We get it man, you think that they are going to be a 3 win team :lol:


    Not at all and i've never said that. I think they'll be around a .500 club with a game or two either way give or take. What i'm not doing is falling into the fan mode area in which i'm taking for granted that certain areas of the team automatically is going to be better. I'm sorry, but when a player like Isaiah Battle is fighting for a starting spot on the Oline, then the Oline sucks. Seattle is his 3rd team and he has done nothing to prove that he can play at this level. Tedric Thomspon couldnt even sniff the field last season and now its all cheers and he's something special on the defensive side. Sorry, i'm just not buying it.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1075
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Won't lie, I've lost quite a bit of trust goodwill for Pete and John the past two years with the combo of consecutive below average drafts and poor trades.

    But this is the year they get to get my full confidence and trust back by showing us they still have an eye for defensive talent and to get the offensive run game back on track.


    I wonder if the perception of PC/JS drafts' decline is a function of having so many established vets that we didn't see new starters coming out of the draft.

    There was an ongoing issue of RBs and OL washing out here, but we've seen some of that departed talent be successful elsewhere. That would appear to be coach-related, rather than draft related.

    Now that we're starting 7 new guys on defense and the RB/OL coach has changed will we look back in 3 years and go, "John and Pete sure nailed the 2017-2018 drafts!"?
    Own The West
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 209
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:20 pm


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:40 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:We get it man, you think that they are going to be a 3 win team :lol:


    Not at all and i've never said that. I think they'll be around a .500 club with a game or two either way give or take. What i'm not doing is falling into the fan mode area in which i'm taking for granted that certain areas of the team automatically is going to be better. I'm sorry, but when a player like Isaiah Battle is fighting for a starting spot on the Oline, then the Oline sucks. Seattle is his 3rd team and he has done nothing to prove that he can play at this level. Tedric Thomspon couldnt even sniff the field last season and now its all cheers and he's something special on the defensive side. Sorry, i'm just not buying it.


    It is impossible to trust any process or opt in to any process when hobbled by fear of disappointment. It may even be impossible to recognize and enjoy developing processes as they unfold.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 am
  • Jville wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:We get it man, you think that they are going to be a 3 win team :lol:


    Not at all and i've never said that. I think they'll be around a .500 club with a game or two either way give or take. What i'm not doing is falling into the fan mode area in which i'm taking for granted that certain areas of the team automatically is going to be better. I'm sorry, but when a player like Isaiah Battle is fighting for a starting spot on the Oline, then the Oline sucks. Seattle is his 3rd team and he has done nothing to prove that he can play at this level. Tedric Thomspon couldnt even sniff the field last season and now its all cheers and he's something special on the defensive side. Sorry, i'm just not buying it.


    It is impossible to trust any process or opt in to any process when hobbled by fear of disappointment. It may even be impossible to recognize and enjoy developing processes as they unfold.


    Or fear of disappointment could be replaced by common sense. When a player has sucked for years with more than 1 organization, chances are almost certain he is going to suck once again with another organization. Just because said player happens to be on my favorite team, doesnt make him good all of a sudden. Also, coaches talk their players up all the time. Its what they are supposed to do. Its amazing how many people get swayed and fooled by that type of hype.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1075
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:33 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:We get it man, you think that they are going to be a 3 win team :lol:


    Not at all and i've never said that. I think they'll be around a .500 club with a game or two either way give or take. What i'm not doing is falling into the fan mode area in which i'm taking for granted that certain areas of the team automatically is going to be better. I'm sorry, but when a player like Isaiah Battle is fighting for a starting spot on the Oline, then the Oline sucks. Seattle is his 3rd team and he has done nothing to prove that he can play at this level. Tedric Thomspon couldnt even sniff the field last season and now its all cheers and he's something special on the defensive side. Sorry, i'm just not buying it.


    It is impossible to trust any process or opt in to any process when hobbled by fear of disappointment. It may even be impossible to recognize and enjoy developing processes as they unfold.


    Or fear of disappointment could be replaced by common sense. When a player has sucked for years with more than 1 organization, chances are almost certain he is going to suck once again with another organization. Just because said player happens to be on my favorite team, doesnt make him good all of a sudden. Also, coaches talk their players up all the time. Its what they are supposed to do. Its amazing how many people get swayed and fooled by that type of hype.


    So fear blocks trust in the words of coaches along with blocking trust in the the process.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:36 am
  • Own The West wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Won't lie, I've lost quite a bit of trust goodwill for Pete and John the past two years with the combo of consecutive below average drafts and poor trades.

    But this is the year they get to get my full confidence and trust back by showing us they still have an eye for defensive talent and to get the offensive run game back on track.


    I wonder if the perception of PC/JS drafts' decline is a function of having so many established vets that we didn't see new starters coming out of the draft.

    There was an ongoing issue of RBs and OL washing out here, but we've seen some of that departed talent be successful elsewhere. That would appear to be coach-related, rather than draft related.

    Now that we're starting 7 new guys on defense and the RB/OL coach has changed will we look back in 3 years and go, "John and Pete sure nailed the 2017-2018 drafts!"?


    Oh no doubt that being so top heavy and retaining the top created a chasm down below. Whether that was opportunity alone or something more is where the debate lies. I recently had a similar experience in an online game that I play which is a crude facsimile between football, rugby and Tolkieneqsque fantasy. I had a huge awesome roster that crumbled under its own weight when the studs started getting dinged up with nobody good to replace them because they hogged all the experience and skills.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3180
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:00 pm
  • Jville wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Not at all and i've never said that. I think they'll be around a .500 club with a game or two either way give or take. What i'm not doing is falling into the fan mode area in which i'm taking for granted that certain areas of the team automatically is going to be better. I'm sorry, but when a player like Isaiah Battle is fighting for a starting spot on the Oline, then the Oline sucks. Seattle is his 3rd team and he has done nothing to prove that he can play at this level. Tedric Thomspon couldnt even sniff the field last season and now its all cheers and he's something special on the defensive side. Sorry, i'm just not buying it.


    It is impossible to trust any process or opt in to any process when hobbled by fear of disappointment. It may even be impossible to recognize and enjoy developing processes as they unfold.


    Or fear of disappointment could be replaced by common sense. When a player has sucked for years with more than 1 organization, chances are almost certain he is going to suck once again with another organization. Just because said player happens to be on my favorite team, doesnt make him good all of a sudden. Also, coaches talk their players up all the time. Its what they are supposed to do. Its amazing how many people get swayed and fooled by that type of hype.


    So fear blocks trust in the words of coaches along with blocking trust in the the process.


    Is it actually fear when one expects an outcome? I dont think so.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1075
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:18 pm
  • ^^^
    A statement that correlates to nothing that proceeded it is one way to bring an end to dialogue.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:42 pm
  • Jville wrote:^^^
    A statement that correlates to nothing that proceeded it is one way to bring an end to dialogue.


    You characterized pitt's assessment as stemming from fear, which implies an emotional reaction with some degree of irrationality, whereas pitt contends his evaluation arises from an objective, logical assessment of the team's strengths and weaknesses.

    You reiterate that fear is the reason he doesn't trust the process and say that it can prevent him from enjoying the team even if it becomes good. He says he expects the outcome so he isn't afraid.

    Follows logically enough for me. I don't see why the condescension is necessary.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:11 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:
    You characterized pitt's assessment as stemming from fear, which implies an emotional reaction with some degree of irrationality, whereas pitt contends his evaluation arises from an objective, logical assessment of the team's strengths and weaknesses.

    You reiterate that fear is the reason he doesn't trust the process and say that it can prevent him from enjoying the team even if it becomes good. He says he expects the outcome so he isn't afraid.

    Follows logically enough for me. I don't see why the condescension is necessary.


    The fear I was referring to was the fear of disappointment. I'm inferring that not trusting the process or process practitioners is a defensive mechanism. A defensive mechanism for shielding one from disappointment by ignoring the process of player development should that player hit a developmental wall, not fit or disappoint.

    What can be acknowledged is a stated preference for outcome to the exclusion of the process of player development. I thought the outright dismissal of Isaiah Battle and Tedric Thomspon implied an aversion to following and acknowledging the progress of player development.

    This may or may not clarify my original statement ........... which I will restate ....... "It is impossible to trust any process or opt into any process when hobbled by fear of disappointment. It may even be impossible to recognize and enjoy developing processes as they unfold."

    ........................... it is only an observation ........ an opinion.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:33 pm
  • Jville wrote: I thought the outright dismissal of Isaiah Battle and Tedric Thomspon implied an aversion to following and acknowledging the progress of player development.


    Here is the issue I'm having. How much more progress can Battle achieve when two other teams outright cut him? Here is a guy that couldn't get on the field for the Rams or Chiefs, but he's battling for playing time for us? That's a sure sign that our Oline is downright awful. Thompson I can understand since this is his 2nd year, but don't blow smoke up my rear about how awesome he is when he couldn't even dent the lineup last season. I'm sure he's better than last season, but I would be shocked if he's anything more than just serviceable.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1075
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:38 pm
  • Jville wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    You characterized pitt's assessment as stemming from fear, which implies an emotional reaction with some degree of irrationality, whereas pitt contends his evaluation arises from an objective, logical assessment of the team's strengths and weaknesses.

    You reiterate that fear is the reason he doesn't trust the process and say that it can prevent him from enjoying the team even if it becomes good. He says he expects the outcome so he isn't afraid.

    Follows logically enough for me. I don't see why the condescension is necessary.


    The fear I was referring to was the fear of disappointment. I'm inferring that not trusting the process or process practitioners is a defensive mechanism. A defensive mechanism for shielding one from disappointment by ignoring the process of player development should that player hit a developmental wall, not fit or disappoint.

    What can be acknowledged is a stated preference for outcome to the exclusion of the process of player development. I thought the outright dismissal of Isaiah Battle and Tedric Thomspon implied an aversion to following and acknowledging the progress of player development.

    This may or may not clarify my original statement ........... which I will restate ....... "It is impossible to trust any process or opt into any process when hobbled by fear of disappointment. It may even be impossible to recognize and enjoy developing processes as they unfold."

    ........................... it is only an observation ........ an opinion.


    Gotcha, I just think it's difficult to tell if someone holds an opinion out of fear as a defense mechanism or if he/she believes something based their interpretation of evidence and observation with little emotional influence.

    I do agree what he said about Battle and Thompson came across harshly, but his reply above clarifies his opinion pretty well.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Trust The Process.
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:52 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Jville wrote: I thought the outright dismissal of Isaiah Battle and Tedric Thomspon implied an aversion to following and acknowledging the progress of player development.


    Here is the issue I'm having. How much more progress can Battle achieve when two other teams outright cut him? Thompson I can understand since this is his 2nd year, but don't blow smoke up my rear about how awesome he is when he couldn't even dent the lineup last season. I'm sure he's better than last season, but I would be shocked if he's anything more than just serviceable.


    I understand your sentiment. But, we can still appreciate and enjoy Battle's on going development regardless of come what may. In the off season he bulked up from 290lbs to 310lbs since joining the Seahawks. As I understand it, his functional upper body strength was an ongoing question. We may get a better idea, tonight, of how strong he is now. He has a new coach and modified blocking scheme. I'm curious as to how his continuing story now fits and performs.

    I'll just assume you missed the many testimonials from multiple players and coaches regarding Thompson. Thompson is still in the early stages of his development process. So many of us are looking forward to seeing him tonight.

    I like good outcomes along with everyone else. But, its the process ....... the journey where the joy of an unfolding season resides. Getting better one day at a time.

    Go Hawks!
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Previous


It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:37 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information