ET III ( in his own words)

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
What's actually going on is Earl is holding out and is racking up some stiff fines that the team we'll be collecting if/when he finally reports.

Whatever his justification is is irrelevant.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
For the record, I’m not trying to say that I agree with the holdout.

I am saying that Earls opinion is valid. Fine line yes,two different things nonetheless.

toffee

Reaction score
Earl's argument is basically:

1. If he gets hurt this season, his career is over, he won't get another contract, Needless to say, he got family to feed. Children, man, got starving children. Therefore, he is not taking that risk.

Earl forgot his risk of injury this season is covered by his current contract which his agent negotiated and he willingly signed, which is something like over $8 millions. for this season alone.

But our Earl is talking about potential future earnings, which in his mind should be say $50 million. So he is not risking $50mil over that petty $8 mil.

2. He wants a long term guaranteed contract before he will take that injury risk, That way, if he gets hurt this season, the sucker that gave a 30 yo fs a guaranteed contract say $50mil or whatever that justifies Earl's status as the HOF FS at his prime, will keep paying even when our Earl drink martini on his yacht in caribbean with his now well fed children.

3. Why should Seahawks be that sucker? because he took a lot of risk playing the game in the past for the Seahawks and man, starving children because he wasn't paid enough by the Seahawks.

In my mind, all the risks that he took in the past was career hazard that any football player undertook for playing in NFL, and he has been very handsomely compensated for those risk. ie he's set for life, unless he pulled a Latrell Speedwell.

Why no sucker is willingly give him another contract? Simple, he mismanaged his bargaining chips, NO front office, HC, ownership is willing to take a risk on him for his poor behavior, along with his age, and yes that injury risk,

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
All he wanted was the opportunity to finish his career where he started it. After a decade of grind, he just wanted some security. How is that selfish?
His comments about Eric Weddle got me thinking. I don't believe that teams want to be that way towards players. Especially players that have contributed greatly to the success of that team. I think it's more that the league's salary cap doesn't allow for that security. They have to constantly be aware of next year and how much $ they can save towards the future. That's just how it is. I think if he really wants to help
other players around the league who are currently in the same position as me, or who will be in the future
he should present a solution to the players union to be negotiated into the next bargaining agreement with the league.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is a good point to be made that this is really not about greed, it is about principle.

He makes it clear that he feels it is not fair that a player getting injured in trying to do his best to help the team - gets cast off the moment it is clear that injury is significant.

And it really isn't fair. I am not saying anyone should get the whole contract for not performing, but there has to be a middle ground between all and nothing. I get the #s reflect the reality that people get hurt, get cast off and thus instead of $5M they ask for $7M.

But it is weird there is no provision for injury in a sport that is predicated upon violent collisions. Take 30M put it into the cap for injury provisions and have it allocated to pay players injured based on % of veteran min and then weighted % of player's salary with lower #s getting higher weights vs higher #s. Or just have an injury insurance pool. Or something. The league makes fistfuls of money - there are smart people that could figure this out but honestly they don't care.

They treat it like the Pony Express. They ride that horse until it is almost worn out, then they switch to a new horse and ride that one. That is why NFL stands for Not For Long.

But just remember, while Earl Thomas makes pretty good money and has made very good money. There are guys that have gotten injured that are making or made close to league min. It hits them too. And there are reasonable solutions that are more fair possible, just not much incentive for the NFL to even need to be fair. Players are fungible. Earl is not, and he is using the leverage he has.

Also, bear in mind he pretty much came up with Sherman and Kam. He watched them bust tail for this team and then get injured playing on one of those ridiculous Thursday night games that are only there to fatten NFL wallets at the expense of player safety. And he watched those guys get released or pressured to retire. You honestly don't think he thinks about what will happen to him when he got injured in the GB playoff game and then played injured in the SB and then got injured last year?

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The provision for injury is guaranteed money and multi million dollar contract that he signed to play through the 2018/19 season. Sorry Earl but that's just an excuse to hold out for a long term deal that Seattle can't justify not at the numbers you want maybe not at all regardless at this point.

lobohawk

Reaction score
His complaints reflect on the CBA. But the Hawks bear the burden of his complaint. Implying that he deserves to be paid what he thinks is valid is silly. You get paid what your employer is willing to pay and what the market helps define. Gimme a break.

He cares about his needs and the Hawks care about their team needs. Both justified, so theres no right or wrong in the attitude. Where he’s failing is acting like they’re being meanies and not working with team on a solution.

If he had any sense and his only concern was about getting hurt, why won’t he ask the Hawks to help pay for frickin $50 million insurance. This way they aren’t screwed and he’s not. Then he can scurry home to Dallas.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Nobody is going to pay $50 Million for a 29 year old who has already missed several games due to injury. Also, he sign'ed the contract to play this year, we don't owe him anything in the future from a strictly business perspective. He has to weigh how he handles this season and plays his cards.

Earl is asking the Seattle to do for him what they did for Kam and I don't blame him. Unfortunately we all see how that worked out and how bad it turned out for the Seahawks. If Kam were healthy and still playing at a high level the Earl discussion might be going different right now.

I can't tell is there is a strategy here being played out by Earl with guidance from his agent and other experts or if Earls is jut kind of being a big baby? If his antics this past year aren't part of a well though out strategy with reason to believe it could work, then Earl has really shot himself in the foot.

Sometimes people just have to make tough decisions and that is true right now for both Earl and Seattle. In the end neither side will get what they wanted and it will end up a bad deal for everyone.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I love Earl as a player and love the Hawks, but one thing the players don’t seem to understand is there is a SALARY CAP!!!!!
If the Hawks didn’t have to work within the rules of the salary cap, I’m sure Mr. Allen would have little problem paying ET what he wants. Earl needs to understand this.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Maybe I would understand his point if he didnt go to an opposing teams coach and ask to go there on live TV. He is as selfish as they come and the team imo has already moved on. It's a youth movement here now and he isnt part of it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Raise your hand if you believe that Earl Thomas didn't know what he was getting into prior to being drafted into the NFL.

toffee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":8u2zz03t said:
I love Earl as a player and love the Hawks, but one thing the players don’t seem to understand is there is a SALARY CAP!!!!!
If the Hawks didn’t have to work within the rules of the salary cap, I’m sure Mr. Allen would have little problem paying ET what he wants. Earl needs to understand this.

No, not after our SuperNatural Earl ran into Girls locker and pimped when he was on Mr. Allen's payroll, multi Billionaires do not enjoy public humiliation.

Jville

Reaction score
There are sufficient possibilities for a resolution. But a resolution is not what Earl's public statement is about. Earl's public statement is strictly an exercise in venting. Nothing more. Venting doesn't explain, clarify or negotiate.

As much money as Earl has made over the course of his career, he could have hired a competent editor or ghost writer to produce a less conflicted and more complete and constructive document. But then again, such a hire would have been a fruitless waste of money for anyone venting and not listening anyway.

As disappointing as his public statement is, it is useful to remember that Earl is still a young 29 years old. And since the eventual outcome is outside of our control, we can only hope, that once all the noise subsides, it ends well for everyone.

HawkGA

Reaction score
pmedic920":z73c7hp5 said:
For the record, I’m not trying to say that I agree with the holdout.

I am saying that Earls opinion is valid. Fine line yes,two different things nonetheless.

This, sadly, is a distinction lost on many people today. It's why we don't seem able to disagree without being disagreeable.

Earl is trying to leverage what he's got to get more money. I get it. Good for him if he gets it.

But to the extent there is a right or wrong, I disagree with Earl. But I also don't think there is a right or wrong.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
The man signed a contract- live up to it and honor it- you sure would not see the Hawks getting away with NOT living up to it!

Far as I am concerned I don't care if I ever see him play for us again

M.M.

toffee

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ctg2ltf said:
Raise your hand if you believe that Earl Thomas didn't know what he was getting into prior to being drafted into the NFL.

You nailed it!!!

Playing in NFL is a highly risky health wise, one hit at the wrong angle could not only end your career but also your well being. ALL player entering the league knew that, therefore, no one can blame a player's desire to earn as much as they could over that short period of time.

Earl was one of the lucky players, he was set for life before he took to the field for the Hawks:

On July 31, 2010, the Seattle Seahawks signed Thomas to a five-year, $18.30 million contract that includes $11.75 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $500,000. $11.75mil ought to enough to feed Earl's children? OK $18.3 mil after tax, agent and his entourages probably meant $6mil (after tax) or so for Earl, enough for feeding his children? That's more than vast majority of US population make in their working life.

On April 28, 2014, Thomas agreed to a four-year contract extension worth $40 million with $27.725 guaranteed, making him the second-highest paid safety in the NFL behind All-Pro safety Eric Berry. $27.725 + $11.75 mil = $39.475 mil guaranteed. Under the same math, the $40 mil after agent, tax and his entourages should yield $15mil (again after tax) for Earl's to feed his children. This $15mil plus his rookie contracts $6 mil totally $21mil.

Earl was paid as a TOP safety, and yes he played up to that expectation, so both sides kept their promises. No more, no less, fair and square.

BUT according to Earl's letter, he claimed the Hawks is being unfair to him because by honoring the last year of his contract could jeopardize his chance for a 3rd contract, which he needs to feed his children apparently. With that Earl, you truly are my dawg and you can go woof somewhere else.

Steve2222

Reaction score
How amazing would it be if we somehow pulled off an Earl Thomas for Khalil Mack trade?

toffee

Reaction score
Steve2222":l7111bho said:
How amazing would it be if we somehow pulled off an Earl Thomas for Khalil Mack trade?
where do we sign? Give me the paper already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
He has made more money already then probably half the active members made in their lifetime combined on here with his salary and endorsements, he knew what he was getting into when he decided to pursue pro football and got an agent, if people are advocating guaranteeing the live of all the contracts made between teams and players and then pony up for after their playing days as well you may as well shut down the league or jack the season ticket prices up to 1.000,000 per year and advertising and programming rights to trillions of dollars a season.

You can't pay everyone maximum amounts, even common people at work get what 5,000 maybe 10,000 for a arm if they lose it and that's it from Labor and Injury, why should Earl who had his education paid for, made millions in his career, get millions more if he gets hurt. He has had the opportunity to make sound investments, if he failed, and chose to buy jewelry or vehicles instead of food for his family who's fault is that.

Latest posts