Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

ET III ( in his own words)

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
ET III ( in his own words)
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:16 am
  • “Here’s what’s actually going on”

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... ks-holdout

It’s a good read, his opinion is valid in my eyes.

Started a thread of its own due to the other tread being so long and muddled with many side issues.

ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: ET III ( in his own words)
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:24 am
  • What's actually going on is Earl is holding out and is racking up some stiff fines that the team we'll be collecting if/when he finally reports.

Whatever his justification is is irrelevant.
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:36 am
  • For the record, I’m not trying to say that I agree with the holdout.

I am saying that Earls opinion is valid. Fine line yes,two different things nonetheless.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:24 am
  • Earl's argument is basically:

1. If he gets hurt this season, his career is over, he won't get another contract, Needless to say, he got family to feed. Children, man, got starving children. Therefore, he is not taking that risk.

Earl forgot his risk of injury this season is covered by his current contract which his agent negotiated and he willingly signed, which is something like over $8 millions. for this season alone.

But our Earl is talking about potential future earnings, which in his mind should be say $50 million. So he is not risking $50mil over that petty $8 mil.

2. He wants a long term guaranteed contract before he will take that injury risk, That way, if he gets hurt this season, the sucker that gave a 30 yo fs a guaranteed contract say $50mil or whatever that justifies Earl's status as the HOF FS at his prime, will keep paying even when our Earl drink martini on his yacht in caribbean with his now well fed children.

3. Why should Seahawks be that sucker? because he took a lot of risk playing the game in the past for the Seahawks and man, starving children because he wasn't paid enough by the Seahawks.

In my mind, all the risks that he took in the past was career hazard that any football player undertook for playing in NFL, and he has been very handsomely compensated for those risk. ie he's set for life, unless he pulled a Latrell Speedwell.

Why no sucker is willingly give him another contract? Simple, he mismanaged his bargaining chips, NO front office, HC, ownership is willing to take a risk on him for his poor behavior, along with his age, and yes that injury risk,

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:28 am
  • All he wanted was the opportunity to finish his career where he started it. After a decade of grind, he just wanted some security. How is that selfish?

His comments about Eric Weddle got me thinking. I don't believe that teams want to be that way towards players. Especially players that have contributed greatly to the success of that team. I think it's more that the league's salary cap doesn't allow for that security. They have to constantly be aware of next year and how much $ they can save towards the future. That's just how it is. I think if he really wants to help
    other players around the league who are currently in the same position as me, or who will be in the future
    he should present a solution to the players union to be negotiated into the next bargaining agreement with the league.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:55 am
  • There is a good point to be made that this is really not about greed, it is about principle.

He makes it clear that he feels it is not fair that a player getting injured in trying to do his best to help the team - gets cast off the moment it is clear that injury is significant.

And it really isn't fair. I am not saying anyone should get the whole contract for not performing, but there has to be a middle ground between all and nothing. I get the #s reflect the reality that people get hurt, get cast off and thus instead of $5M they ask for $7M.

But it is weird there is no provision for injury in a sport that is predicated upon violent collisions. Take 30M put it into the cap for injury provisions and have it allocated to pay players injured based on % of veteran min and then weighted % of player's salary with lower #s getting higher weights vs higher #s. Or just have an injury insurance pool. Or something. The league makes fistfuls of money - there are smart people that could figure this out but honestly they don't care.

They treat it like the Pony Express. They ride that horse until it is almost worn out, then they switch to a new horse and ride that one. That is why NFL stands for Not For Long.

But just remember, while Earl Thomas makes pretty good money and has made very good money. There are guys that have gotten injured that are making or made close to league min. It hits them too. And there are reasonable solutions that are more fair possible, just not much incentive for the NFL to even need to be fair. Players are fungible. Earl is not, and he is using the leverage he has.

Also, bear in mind he pretty much came up with Sherman and Kam. He watched them bust tail for this team and then get injured playing on one of those ridiculous Thursday night games that are only there to fatten NFL wallets at the expense of player safety. And he watched those guys get released or pressured to retire. You honestly don't think he thinks about what will happen to him when he got injured in the GB playoff game and then played injured in the SB and then got injured last year?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:29 am
  • The provision for injury is guaranteed money and multi million dollar contract that he signed to play through the 2018/19 season. Sorry Earl but that's just an excuse to hold out for a long term deal that Seattle can't justify not at the numbers you want maybe not at all regardless at this point.
    Last edited by Northwest Seahawk on Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:31 am
  • His complaints reflect on the CBA. But the Hawks bear the burden of his complaint. Implying that he deserves to be paid what he thinks is valid is silly. You get paid what your employer is willing to pay and what the market helps define. Gimme a break.

He cares about his needs and the Hawks care about their team needs. Both justified, so theres no right or wrong in the attitude. Where he’s failing is acting like they’re being meanies and not working with team on a solution.

If he had any sense and his only concern was about getting hurt, why won’t he ask the Hawks to help pay for frickin $50 million insurance. This way they aren’t screwed and he’s not. Then he can scurry home to Dallas.
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:18 pm
  • Nobody is going to pay $50 Million for a 29 year old who has already missed several games due to injury. Also, he sign'ed the contract to play this year, we don't owe him anything in the future from a strictly business perspective. He has to weigh how he handles this season and plays his cards.

Earl is asking the Seattle to do for him what they did for Kam and I don't blame him. Unfortunately we all see how that worked out and how bad it turned out for the Seahawks. If Kam were healthy and still playing at a high level the Earl discussion might be going different right now.

I can't tell is there is a strategy here being played out by Earl with guidance from his agent and other experts or if Earls is jut kind of being a big baby? If his antics this past year aren't part of a well though out strategy with reason to believe it could work, then Earl has really shot himself in the foot.

Sometimes people just have to make tough decisions and that is true right now for both Earl and Seattle. In the end neither side will get what they wanted and it will end up a bad deal for everyone.
    MO Hawk
    NET Rookie

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:25 pm
  • I love Earl as a player and love the Hawks, but one thing the players don’t seem to understand is there is a SALARY CAP!!!!!
    If the Hawks didn’t have to work within the rules of the salary cap, I’m sure Mr. Allen would have little problem paying ET what he wants. Earl needs to understand this.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:06 pm
  • Maybe I would understand his point if he didnt go to an opposing teams coach and ask to go there on live TV. He is as selfish as they come and the team imo has already moved on. It's a youth movement here now and he isnt part of it.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:34 pm
  • Raise your hand if you believe that Earl Thomas didn't know what he was getting into prior to being drafted into the NFL.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:37 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I love Earl as a player and love the Hawks, but one thing the players don’t seem to understand is there is a SALARY CAP!!!!!
    If the Hawks didn’t have to work within the rules of the salary cap, I’m sure Mr. Allen would have little problem paying ET what he wants. Earl needs to understand this.

No, not after our SuperNatural Earl ran into Girls locker and pimped when he was on Mr. Allen's payroll, multi Billionaires do not enjoy public humiliation.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:19 pm
  • There are sufficient possibilities for a resolution. But a resolution is not what Earl's public statement is about. Earl's public statement is strictly an exercise in venting. Nothing more. Venting doesn't explain, clarify or negotiate.

As much money as Earl has made over the course of his career, he could have hired a competent editor or ghost writer to produce a less conflicted and more complete and constructive document. But then again, such a hire would have been a fruitless waste of money for anyone venting and not listening anyway.

As disappointing as his public statement is, it is useful to remember that Earl is still a young 29 years old. And since the eventual outcome is outside of our control, we can only hope, that once all the noise subsides, it ends well for everyone.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:28 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:For the record, I’m not trying to say that I agree with the holdout.

I am saying that Earls opinion is valid. Fine line yes,two different things nonetheless.

This, sadly, is a distinction lost on many people today. It's why we don't seem able to disagree without being disagreeable.

Earl is trying to leverage what he's got to get more money. I get it. Good for him if he gets it.

But to the extent there is a right or wrong, I disagree with Earl. But I also don't think there is a right or wrong.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:29 pm
  • The man signed a contract- live up to it and honor it- you sure would not see the Hawks getting away with NOT living up to it!

Far as I am concerned I don't care if I ever see him play for us again

M.M.
    Marlin Man
    NET Starter

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:34 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Raise your hand if you believe that Earl Thomas didn't know what he was getting into prior to being drafted into the NFL.

You nailed it!!!

Playing in NFL is a highly risky health wise, one hit at the wrong angle could not only end your career but also your well being. ALL player entering the league knew that, therefore, no one can blame a player's desire to earn as much as they could over that short period of time.

Earl was one of the lucky players, he was set for life before he took to the field for the Hawks:

On July 31, 2010, the Seattle Seahawks signed Thomas to a five-year, $18.30 million contract that includes $11.75 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $500,000. $11.75mil ought to enough to feed Earl's children? OK $18.3 mil after tax, agent and his entourages probably meant $6mil (after tax) or so for Earl, enough for feeding his children? That's more than vast majority of US population make in their working life.

On April 28, 2014, Thomas agreed to a four-year contract extension worth $40 million with $27.725 guaranteed, making him the second-highest paid safety in the NFL behind All-Pro safety Eric Berry. $27.725 + $11.75 mil = $39.475 mil guaranteed. Under the same math, the $40 mil after agent, tax and his entourages should yield $15mil (again after tax) for Earl's to feed his children. This $15mil plus his rookie contracts $6 mil totally $21mil.

Earl was paid as a TOP safety, and yes he played up to that expectation, so both sides kept their promises. No more, no less, fair and square.

BUT according to Earl's letter, he claimed the Hawks is being unfair to him because by honoring the last year of his contract could jeopardize his chance for a 3rd contract, which he needs to feed his children apparently. With that Earl, you truly are my dawg and you can go woof somewhere else.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:20 pm
  • How amazing would it be if we somehow pulled off an Earl Thomas for Khalil Mack trade?
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:52 pm
  • Steve2222 wrote:How amazing would it be if we somehow pulled off an Earl Thomas for Khalil Mack trade?
    where do we sign? Give me the paper already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:01 pm
  • He has made more money already then probably half the active members made in their lifetime combined on here with his salary and endorsements, he knew what he was getting into when he decided to pursue pro football and got an agent, if people are advocating guaranteeing the live of all the contracts made between teams and players and then pony up for after their playing days as well you may as well shut down the league or jack the season ticket prices up to 1.000,000 per year and advertising and programming rights to trillions of dollars a season.

You can't pay everyone maximum amounts, even common people at work get what 5,000 maybe 10,000 for a arm if they lose it and that's it from Labor and Injury, why should Earl who had his education paid for, made millions in his career, get millions more if he gets hurt. He has had the opportunity to make sound investments, if he failed, and chose to buy jewelry or vehicles instead of food for his family who's fault is that.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:40 pm
  • So, people (famous rich people, that is) get ridiculous insurance policies all the time - why can't a team put an injury insurance in a contract? Then not be liable against the salary cap for the insurance payout in case it's needed? Seems like a win-win-win to me (gotta throw Lloyd's of London in the win column too since I imagine they don't actually lose $$ on those aforementioned ridiculous insurance policies...)
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:43 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:So, people (famous rich people, that is) get ridiculous insurance policies all the time - why can't a team put an injury insurance in a contract? Then not be liable against the salary cap for the insurance payout in case it's needed? Seems like a win-win-win to me (gotta throw Lloyd's of London in the win column too since I imagine they don't actually lose $$ on those aforementioned ridiculous insurance policies...)

Insurance policies are based on % of chance the event insured happens. The likelihood of an injury in the NFL that ends a career is probably quite high (as opposed to life insurance when you're 35 or 40), thus the insurance would cost nearly the same amount as the actual settlement.
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:00 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:So, people (famous rich people, that is) get ridiculous insurance policies all the time - why can't a team put an injury insurance in a contract? Then not be liable against the salary cap for the insurance payout in case it's needed? Seems like a win-win-win to me (gotta throw Lloyd's of London in the win column too since I imagine they don't actually lose $$ on those aforementioned ridiculous insurance policies...)

The irony is that Earl Thomas can do that for Earl Thomas. Some players DO pay for injury insurance on themselves. If he's so damn worried about it, he should pony up for it.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:36 pm
  • Show up or shut up.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:43 pm
  • Marlin Man wrote:The man signed a contract- live up to it and honor it- you sure would not see the Hawks getting away with NOT living up to it!

Far as I am concerned I don't care if I ever see him play for us again

M.M.

... I'm pretty sure the the Hawks got away with not living up to a contact just this last off season. It's a business, and both parties are looking to save/earn as much money as possible...
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:46 pm
  • JGreen79 wrote:... I'm pretty sure the the Hawks got away with not living up to a contact just this last off season. It's a business, and both parties are looking to save/earn as much money as possible...

Employers fire employees who have contracts with the employer all the time. Is this supposed to be something unusual? Under-performing employees whom you've tried and been unable to improve getting fired is NORMAL. If you can't do your job for an extended period of time due to injury, people get fired for that all the time, too.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:29 pm
  • From reading his “statement “, I got the distinct feeling that Earl feels entitled. Just another millennial who feels entitled. He’s under contract to play this year. He’s entitled to play out the contract and negotiate anther one. That.Is. All.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:29 pm
  • Maybe Earl needs to work a real job for a bit to gain some perspective on things. Real people in real jobs don't have their future guaranteed. People can be laid off at any time for pretty much any reason.

When it comes down to the CBA I am always on the side of the players - they deserve to make all the money they can. But now that the CBA is agreed upon, the players need to fulfill their end of the deal by operating within the terms of the CBA - particularly with regard to salary caps.

Perhaps in the next CBA they can add provisions for players who have career-ending injuries to be paid out a percentage of their average salary over the past 3 seasons or the average salary of that position (whichever is more) for the full term of their contract, but have it NOT count toward the salary cap. That would be a great thing for players.

Bur that doesn't exist now. What exists now are rules that put us in a place like where we are with Kam Chancellor - eating a bunch of salary cap that makes the team less competitive. Long-term guarantees are basically a bet, and having just lost a big bet, Earl wants the Seahawks to do the same thing again.

Sorry, Earl, but players generally come in two categories: They save their money and have a nice nest egg after their career is finished, or they spend it like water. In the first case, having a few more million makes no quality-of-life difference because the player will still be plenty loaded such that their offspring will not have to work for generations. In the second case, a few more million won't matter because it'll be pissed down the same hole the other money was.

In either case, they money really doesn't matter. If he plays this year he makes $8 million. On my salary it takes me about the average male life expectancy to make that much money. If I can have a decent house and raise a fine family on my salary, then he bloody well can on $8 million on top of what he's earned already.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:54 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:So, people (famous rich people, that is) get ridiculous insurance policies all the time - why can't a team put an injury insurance in a contract? Then not be liable against the salary cap for the insurance payout in case it's needed? Seems like a win-win-win to me (gotta throw Lloyd's of London in the win column too since I imagine they don't actually lose $$ on those aforementioned ridiculous insurance policies...)

The irony is that Earl Thomas can do that for Earl Thomas. Some players DO pay for injury insurance on themselves. If he's so damn worried about it, he should pony up for it.

This. Pay for a policy and quit your whining and bitching Earl.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:48 pm
  • Earl's letter highlight a critical point:

He neglected that his past performance and contribution were compensated by his past contracts. In his case, very well compensated to the tune of being the highest paid FS in the league. He is refusing to honor the past year of his current contract in fear that he might get hurt by playing this season which could jeopardize his future earning.

What about the Hawks that paid for and counted on his service for the season? What about all the 12s that emotionally invested in Earl Thomas? SCREW YOU SEAHAWKS, he is busy pimping his service elsewhere.
    Last edited by KitsapGuy on Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Language

toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:03 pm
  • All of the many posts here on .Net are not going to bring Earl in touch with the "real world". 99.9999% of the people who live on this planet believe that there is a chance for something bad to happen to them at some point in their life.
    Playing in the NFL greatly increases those chances. Earl signed a contract that made it clear that getting hurt was a possibility. Now that he is getting older and thinking ahead....those chances of getting hurt have just increased greatly.
    Just wait a year on the sidelines Earl and watch what happens to your value with other NFL teams.

One's destiny is determined by who you choose to believe.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:00 am
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:All of the many posts here on .Net are not going to bring Earl in touch with the "real world". 99.9999% of the people who live on this planet believe that there is a chance for something bad to happen to them at some point in their life.
    Playing in the NFL greatly increases those chances. Earl signed a contract that made it clear that getting hurt was a possibility. Now that he is getting older and thinking ahead....those chances of getting hurt have just increased greatly.
    Just wait a year on the sidelines Earl and watch what happens to your value with other NFL teams.

One's destiny is determined by who you choose to believe.

Playing in the NFL also provides the financial backing to mitigate the damage of those bad things. Thinking ahead for what? Something bad that may happen that the 40-some million he's already made can't take care of?

Lets stop pretending that the money he has already banked playing in the NFL isn't enough to handle 99.9999% of any problem life throws at him, or his kids, or their kids....
    Last edited by OpHawk on Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:16 am
  • Maybe the CBA needs to make a new contingency where if you have a guaranteed contract but you can't play due to injury than that guaranteed money will no longer count against the cap for the team but the player will still get paid. Seems like a fair way to take care of a player's injury risk and family while not hurting the team due to bad luck in a salary cap era.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:04 am
  • Earl, I’m not buying it.

Feed the kids? Security? Whatever?

You are just another self important, self entitled, egotistical athlete. Yes you have genuine talent, and of course you have a contract that would have paid you $8.5 million for the year, you agreed to that deal. Likely you would have got a new deal until you got lame advice from your agent, or your ego got in the way of your thinking. The Cowboys ain’t buying, and I think you can feed the kids on that not so inconsequential annual income. Of course that now will be decreased by the amount of the fines the team should take from it and your bonus money.

Hope the fines bite, have fun not playing. No team would be stupid enough to trade for you with your me, me, me attitude. Further, face it, the market has changed for your position and you have seen what happens to the cap of your team when large guaranteed contracts have to be paid to an injured player.

If you are actually worried about your security due to the injury risk of playing a violent sport, buy some insurance, but stop the BS b/c it’s nonsense.

I will be disappointed if the team gives in to you, they’ve honoured their side of your deal with them and treated you with respect, you on the other hand haven’t. At this stage I wouldn’t want you here until you are ‘all in’ and you certainly aren’t.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:31 am
  • His family must have a huge appetite.

To the posters who advocate trading him to the Browns...I agree. I would assume housing and food is cheaper in Cleveland so it should be a win for Earl.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:00 am
  • Earl can't rationally claim that the contract is unfair. First, Earl had an agent who was paid handsomely to look out for Earl's best interests. Earl will, like Kam, get a freakin' boatload of money to sit on his butt if he gets a season-ending injury like Kam did, depending on where in the season it falls. Life isn't perfect, but Earl Thomas III negotiated and signed his contract, knowing full well what the contract said. I dearly hope that Earl knows there's a salary cap. If not, shame on him.

Someone mentioned Earl sold his house. Anyone know if this is true, and if so, where it was (is?)
    Journalism is dead, it's been replaced by creative writing aka fake news.
    Critical thinking is pretty much dead too. I miss the hearsay rule.
    The concept of "ethic" has been stripped from the Journalism curriculum.
    Rocket
    * .NET Attention Whore *

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:42 am
  • The Seahawks have shown no inclination to pay him near the top of the market for safeties, which would be in the $13 mil range. We assume the Cowboys have had permission to discuss financial parameters with representatives of Thomas, 29, a native of Orange, Texas and a University of Texas product. This has all been newsworthy for quite some time, much of it behind the scenes.

But now we've got a "Holdout Scream'' and a "Holdout Whisper.''

But you know what we don't have?

Earl Thomas' gorgeous Bellevue, Washington mansion up for sale, that's what we don't have.

This doesn't make Newy's story wrong, not at all. But training camps in the NFL start NOW. If Earl Thomas is truly zero-percent interested in remaining with the Seahawks, is truly 100-percent convinced they'll never pay him, and "planning to sell his house in Seattle,'' NOW would be the time.

However -- and this certainly could change at any moment -- but I'm told the mansion, which Thomas purchased for $1,999,000 in September of 2015, is not presently on the market.

So Earl Thomas' mansion is not yet for sale. But Earl Thomas certainly is.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboy ... 120050328/
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:50 am
  • Rocket wrote:Earl can't rationally claim that the contract is unfair. First, Earl had an agent who was paid handsomely to look out for Earl's best interests. Earl will, like Kam, get a freakin' boatload of money to sit on his butt if he gets a season-ending injury like Kam did, depending on where in the season it falls. Life isn't perfect, but Earl Thomas III negotiated and signed his contract, knowing full well what the contract said. I dearly hope that Earl knows there's a salary cap. If not, shame on him.

Someone mentioned Earl sold his house. Anyone know if this is true, and if so, where it was (is?)

Earl's whole "schlick" was based on Seahawks being unfair, that Seahawks refusing to give him another $40-$50 millions contract after Earl sacrificed his body for Seahawks' success for sooo many years; that Seahawks not taking care of Earl in his old age. The only ooops? Seahawks compensated his past effort, compensated very well to the tune of making him the highest paid FS in the league. He provided services and got paid, fair and square. Earl conveniently forgot about that in his complains. Therefore, It takes special minds to agree with Earl, at least no owners, GMs, HCs in the league are seeing things Earl's way.

Fact: After pimping in Dallas, Cleveland, Oakland, and may be more, Earl the all-pro, pro-bowl, hall of fame, FS at his prime; after being on the market for months, sits at home waiting.
    Last edited by toffee on Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:12 pm
  • Well if he sells his house that should at least get his kids a few snacks at a drive thru so they are not hungry for a few hours.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:02 pm
  • I was thinking just the other day about how the complaint from players a lot is they don't have guaranteed contracts. But that's really not at play here. Even with a guaranteed contract Earl would the same thing because he's wanting payout beyond this year.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:06 pm
  • It isn’t as if Earl lives in the real world. These guys have lost perspective.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:21 pm
  • I love how some argue that the teams can break a contract but a player can’t sit out

They are both options under how the CBA and contracts are structured. They are both part of the business options that the NFL is. One can say that the team should NOT give Earl money while at the same time understand his position. It becomes a game of chicken. To me the likely outcome is he comes back a few games into the season to keep eligibility for this year. The losers will be Seahawks if this happens. Pay him most of he money, get a player not ready and lose games.

One way around it is to tell Earl that if he doesn’t report the team will Franchise him. Thereby forcing him to play two one to one year deals increasing the risk for no long term contract. Now you combine getting older with the injury risk. If he reports now then he limits his exposure. He may not be happy but may still realize he is out of options
    Last edited by mikeak on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:21 pm
  • Ad Hawk wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:So, people (famous rich people, that is) get ridiculous insurance policies all the time - why can't a team put an injury insurance in a contract? Then not be liable against the salary cap for the insurance payout in case it's needed? Seems like a win-win-win to me (gotta throw Lloyd's of London in the win column too since I imagine they don't actually lose $$ on those aforementioned ridiculous insurance policies...)

Insurance policies are based on % of chance the event insured happens. The likelihood of an injury in the NFL that ends a career is probably quite high (as opposed to life insurance when you're 35 or 40), thus the insurance would cost nearly the same amount as the actual settlement.

From this article...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/leonard-fournettes-10m-policies-and-the-unregulated-world-of-player-protection/

“The policies bought by his parents cover him for $10 million in total disability in the event of a career-ending injury and $10 million for circumstances that would lead to him falling from his projected NFL draft spot.
    These days, you cannot typically purchase one without the other even if you wanted to. And when premiums run approximately $8,000 per $1 million of coverage, there's a lot of money going around even if the covered player finishes his career with no more than a hangnail.”

If that note is close to accurate for this case, at that rate it’d be $400,000 for $50,000,000.
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:02 pm
  • There is nothing he can say to legally validate his argument. You signed a FRONT loaded contract for which you have been paid! At this juncture I don't even want him on this team anymore.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:13 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:Earl, I’m not buying it.

Feed the kids? Security? Whatever?

You are just another self important, self entitled, egotistical athlete. Yes you have genuine talent, and of course you have a contract that would have paid you $8.5 million for the year, you agreed to that deal. Likely you would have got a new deal until you got lame advice from your agent, or your ego got in the way of your thinking. The Cowboys ain’t buying, and I think you can feed the kids on that not so inconsequential annual income. Of course that now will be decreased by the amount of the fines the team should take from it and your bonus money.

Hope the fines bite, have fun not playing. No team would be stupid enough to trade for you with your me, me, me attitude. Further, face it, the market has changed for your position and you have seen what happens to the cap of your team when large guaranteed contracts have to be paid to an injured player.

If you are actually worried about your security due to the injury risk of playing a violent sport, buy some insurance, but stop the BS b/c it’s nonsense.

I will be disappointed if the team gives in to you, they’ve honoured their side of your deal with them and treated you with respect, you on the other hand haven’t. At this stage I wouldn’t want you here until you are ‘all in’ and you certainly aren’t.

The point about buying his own injury insurance is the one part you "DON'T" hear players stating when these things come up. It would be so easy for them to take a small part of "THEIR" signing bonus and protect themselves during that contract. As for the future contract it's simple.

HONOR YOUR WHOLE CONTRACT.

The team did by paying the entire part of the quaranteed amount on their end. But of course players like ET have blinders on with that point, which is why I will never side with these childish tantrums from players.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:58 pm
  • I think it is understandably frustrating to be told by the team they aren't interested in extending his deal. The only option the team gave him is to come and play the final year of his deal.

But he refuses to come to grips that the only real option he has is to show up and play ball.

Consider that Aaron Donald might be the best non-QB player in the league, and he's being told to come to camp and play for $1.8M. Things could be worse.
    * NET Staff *

Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:00 pm
  • I think its safe to say this letter that was suppose to win over the fans and elicit some sympathy, didn't work.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:11 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:I think its safe to say this letter that was suppose to win over the fans and elicit some sympathy, didn't work.

This!

toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:09 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:I think its safe to say this letter that was suppose to win over the fans and elicit some sympathy, didn't work.

No it did not work. He has signed a contract that includes this season, he is not being done anything wrong by not extending the contract right now. Even if the Seahawks would have wanted to sign him up for one more year, they can't do that now knowing full well this same show would be on their doorstep next year. And giving a multi year extension for a 30 year old (soon) whose game relies on speed is just not smart business, unless the contract has very low guarantees and that is not going to sit well with Earl. Whining in the press for only getting 8.5 mil this year is not something that elicits any sympathy from many. It just makes it look like the player has lost his sense of reality by having been paid so much already.

Thomas is one of those players, who are so much better than almost anyone at his position that teams can take a risk by making a 'too long' contract, but that only makes sense if they feel they will compete right now. I dont think the Seahawks are in a position to risk anything from the future for an aging player, just for being able to fantasize about win now in the middle of a rebuild.

And its not the Seahawks who are to blame for the fact that Thomas does not have the trade value which would make the trade a reasonable option. Although that might change if one of the contenders lose a starting free safety to injury during preseason. If they get good value, a trade could be the best option for both sides. But right now the value is clearly not there. And this whining does not make Earl a more desirable player in the eyes of other teams.
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:49 am

Players will never learn that when push comes to shove fans are going to take their team's side.

Love Earl, but he's just another player in a long line of players that are under the illusion that they're part of the working class fighting against The Man............when in reality no working class fan will ever be sympathetic to millionaires fighting with billionaires over more millions.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Next

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information