Watched XL for the second time last night

BuffaloHawk

Reaction score
Brutal.

Some things that stood out to me

- I forgot how many catches Jackson had in the first quarter of that game. It's sad they went away from that, seemed to be working for them early.

- Forgot all about it, but DJ Hackett just missed on a TD in the first quarter, Just through his finger tips. Always thought he had a ton of potential.

- Wow we moved the ball on them no problem in the first half. Walter Jones had Porter on lock down. Just stupid mistakes.

- We like to blame the officials, but that was some of the worst clock management I've ever seen at the end of the first half. No clue what happened there.

- Love how jacked up Holmgren was at halftime.

- My god Peter Warrick. Forgot all about him. He had some clutch returns in that game (one which was of course- called back).

- Some great "Sea-Hawk" chants in the first half.

- I know there's a lot of heat Stevens, but those were some tough passes to catch in that game. Still should have been caught, but tough nonetheless.

- Tom Brady tossed the coin! lol

Other than the terrible officiating and annoying Bettis story line, anyone else have any random memories from that game? I know a lot of us try to block it out, but it was our first Super Bowl. Anyone at the game have anything to share as well? Always cool to hear stories.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I went into a deep depression for the next 5 months after that game and seeked counseling, where I was told it's "only a game." What a quack.

I cussed out my mom before halftime

Mick Jagger had flabby arms

The whole experience was a forgettable dissapointment.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I was at a party at Wazzu. I witnessed a crowd of 10 people throwing a lone Steeler fan into a dumpster and one crazy guy throwing his vacuum cleaner by spinning around in circles holding the end of the cord then tossing it. Was a depressing night. Thought we missed our window and figured it would take another 20 to 30 years before we would have another opportunity to win it all.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
While XLVIII took away much of the pain...Still. Not. Over. It.

nsport

Reaction score
On a big bomb by Roethlisberger, I recall multiple lineman downfield that never got called. If memory serves, I think it was a fairly pivotal play that put them in a position to go ahead in that game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Saw the original once that was enough. Piss poor one sided officiating, thanks for the screwjob NFL. End of story!

hawxfreak

Reaction score
On TV it sure looked like a totally phantom hold by our right tackle that ruined a drive

I just remember having my jaw dropped the whole because of all the really ticky tack and BS calls against us and the stealers getting away with everything

Then Our defense missed an assignment for a TD and we had just signed a guy off the street like a week before who missed it

I also remember my wife saying that , I guess the NFL just doesn't want you guys to win the superbowl and it felt like it even though I really hated that she said that , knowing I had been a fan through all the bad times and since the day they came into town
It really hurt
That was one really effed up and tough day for me that lasted years
Thank god for 48

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":9bzd7dj9 said:
Saw the original once that was enough. Piss poor one sided officiating, thanks for the screwjob NFL. End of story!
:ditto:

mrblitz

Reaction score
what was it? that 3rd and 27 or 3rd and 28 that the steelers converted? that to me is the biggest haunt from that game... woulda coulda shoulda

oh, that and they didn't run alexander as much as they probably should have in retrospect.

and the phantom 'non-touchdown' where jackson nicked the pylon... and then asking... 'if that had been michael irvin, would it have been a td?'

then a little bit of the 'what if jeremy had made a couple of those grabs?'...

but that 3rd and twenty-whatever... argh...

(yeah the refs were biased, but how unexpected was that, in retrospect?)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3tzrd3tl said:

x 3, and that bozo referee subsequently apologizes for the screw job. It is too upsetting to me to watch again.

I was in the Caribbean and watched the game at the sports complex at my resort with a crowd of Steelers fans and at least one of them apologized b/c they saw the screw job happening, the others were a pain in the rear. I can't imagine how terrible it must have been to have been in Detroit for the game to watch that rubbish.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was there with Mark (RockHawk). It was a pitiful affair pretty much the entire time. Steelers bars everywhere. We found one Seahawks bar, the only oasis in the entire city. It was freezing cold...Standing in the freezing rain for hours waiting for a shuttle to take us into the city. Standing in the freezing cold after the game waiting for the shuttles to take us back to our hotel. Passing out Terrible Towels at the stadium as you walked in...

We might as well have been in Pittsburgh.

Outside of getting to say I was at the Seahawks first-ever Super Bowl, I can't really think of a single good thing about the entire experience.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I quit watching the NFL for at least 3 years after that. Came back during the Mora timeframe.

evergreen

Reaction score
I remember that phantom td by Rapeburger. He was down then lunged the ball and the dufus ref put his arms up. They robbed everyone of a great moment for the Bus to get it on 4th and goal. And I remember HOFer Steve Young saying “that’s a td!” At half time on DJ OPI! I remember HOF coach Madden saying I don’t see any holding there. And the penalty on Hass for talking the interceptor

HawkGA

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":ne607fk3 said:
I quit watching the NFL for at least 3 years after that. Came back during the Mora timeframe.

I pretty much haven't been the same Seahawk fan since that game that I was before. Don't get me wrong, the Super Bowl run and the LOB have been great fun, but I don't actually watch the games much. A big part of it is changes in my life (wife, kids, neither of which are particularly interested in football and I'm not going to drop the coin it would take to watch the games), but I remember the aftermath of the game and the following season. I was so broken by how that game went that I realized I should never let something I don't control have so much affect on my life.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Watching XL or XLIX a second time would be like watching Schindler's List or The Red Fern Grows a second time--both depressing and sad in different ways and I just won't do it.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
The theme of the day was getting the bus his ring before he went off to broadcasting. It was disgusting. NFL likes the theme super bowls of getting certain guys a ring. ..

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Cyrus12":3utck2l1 said:
The theme of the day was getting the bus his ring before he went off to broadcasting. It was disgusting. NFL likes the theme super bowls of getting certain guys a ring. ..

Nothing told me the fix was in more than when Detroit gave him the keys to the city a week leading up to the game.

:pukeface:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Not sure if you guys knew this ...

Jerome Bettis? He’s from Detroit.

:pukeface:

To think how close this franchise is to 3 championships leaves an empty feeling in the pit of my stomach like no other.

*goes to watch 48 on YouTube again*