Embracing Rule Change Aimed At Improving Player Saftey

Jville

Reaction score
Seahawks Embracing Rule Change Aimed At Improving Player Safety ( a review of Seahawk tackling ) >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-embracing-rule-change-aimed-improving-player-safety[/urltargetblank]

Archived youtube video from 2014 >>> [youtube]t1etzT-Cgho[/youtube]

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That play in the EZ last night looked pretty textbook to me.

He looked like he hit him with his shoulder and the intent of the play was to separate the receiver from the ball so that the pass was incomplete. He accomplished that. It was not malicious or after the play either. It was still flagged.

Not sure where else he is supposed to put his head either. He certainly did not hit the receiver with the helmet, maybe glancingly.

I understand player safety but how is the defender supposed to stop that pass now? The only thing I can think of is having two defenders that literally hold up the receiver and throw him out of the EZ before his feet can touch the ground and he can establish possession?

Don't even get me started on the stupidity of the rule that says you cannot hit the QB once the ball is released, given 1/2 the time the defender is in air at the time the ball is released. I can understand not LAUNCHING after the ball is released but otherwise you put the rusher in an impossible situation.

It might be for the best Kam is no longer playing, not sure he could even do his job anymore with these new rules.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Re-training themselves to keep their heads up when breaking down for a tackle will be interesting. They also have to learn how to tackle the QB without landing on top of him or throwing him down during a pass attempt.

Blindside

Reaction score
I'm expecting a penalty filled season. Going to get boring watching the NFL if that is the case.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The main issue with many of these calls is that they are subjective, and judgement based. Really easy to mess up as a ref. The NFL really needs to start streamlining their rulebook.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
why try and interject safety into an inherently unsafe game? that's why we like watching it. Every year the NFL and or its players make me like watching it less and less. I used to watch every game live and go to 2-3 games. Watched 3 games live and 7 games total last year, no games attended.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I can already tell you I'm going to be raging about the leading with the helmet rule.

It's already next to impossible for the defensive player to time his tackle to raise his helmet up while the offensive player gets to lower his head for leverage.............now it'll be even harder.

I get the intent, but IMO we don't need more subjective ref calling penalties. It's already ruining the game.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
It's crap....Open to too much interpretation by individual Referees....NOT good if a Ref get's a bone for a player/s, +, it allows for some bias Referees to just look the other way when it suits their preference.
The Officials are already interrupting the flow in a LOT of the games, screwing up the rhythm & timing.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
yeah. i just don't have an OUNCE of faith that these new rules will be enforced with integrity across the board (ESPECIALLY the new QB one smh).
And it's really sad because, after XL, my NFL fandom took such a blow that my ex looked at me kinda sideways
after we hired Pete and crew and I started watching/enjoying football once again.

I'm gonna ride this thang til the wheels fall off but the lug nuts are already spinning counter-clockwise.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Violence is one of the major reasons people love football. We love to see people get knocked out. We love to see star QBs like Aaron Rodgers get thrown to the ground and injured for the season. The game will gradually get less enjoyable and less popular just like boxing did when they started making a bunch of new rules to make it safer.

Then, the players will be all like "wtf man...I wanted to be a famous millionaire AND be perfectly safe all the time." But the reality is that they can't have their cake and eat it, too. Sure, we might increase the value of a few post-game careers, but at what cost? Destroying the game so that no player can dream about all that glory, fame, and money? That's just how life works. Yet sadly, even in the year 2018, people still struggle to grasp this simple concept.

chris98251

Reaction score
Roman should have given Gladiators sponge swords also...……………..

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3w2w0ay1 said:
Roman should have given Gladiators sponge swords also...……………..
Pink stuffed animals also in the cage.

Rocket

Reaction score
You can follow the rules, you can bitch about them or you can go full something about them.
Been there, generally considered an expert on it.

mikeak

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":27iwne68 said:
why try and interject safety into an inherently unsafe game? that's why we like watching it. Every year the NFL and or its players make me like watching it less and less. I used to watch every game live and go to 2-3 games. Watched 3 games live and 7 games total last year, no games attended.

Yeah I totally don’t understand why they want to make it safer. Who cares about the players after the playing career is over, who cares about the crippled players walking around, who cares about the guys with constant depression and light sensitivities due to all their concussions

Even worse now they are even trying to make it so this path towards early death doesn’t start in middle school.

Awful. I mean we have earned the right to sit on the couch and watch them play and then ignore that the rest of their lives are miserable. We can always lean back on the fact that they got richer than us playing a sport so we are better than them.

How dare they make it safer at the cost of a few fan who don’t care to watch, yet somehow find themselves on an online forum discussing football prior to the first preseason game.....

Do I really need a sarcasm symbol for this post?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":xitc3fq0 said:
Chukarhawk":xitc3fq0 said:

Yeah I totally don’t understand why they want to make it safer. Who cares about the players after the playing career is over, who cares about the crippled players walking around, who cares about the guys with constant depression and light sensitivities due to all their concussions

Even worse now they are even trying to make it so this path towards early death doesn’t start in middle school.

Awful. I mean we have earned the right to sit on the couch and watch them play and then ignore that the rest of their lives are miserable. We can always lean back on the fact that they got richer than us playing a sport so we are better than them.

How dare they make it safer at the cost of a few fan who don’t care to watch, yet somehow find themselves on an online forum discussing football prior to the first preseason game.....

Cuddle time!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
IndyHawk":10grjira said:
mikeak":10grjira said:
Chukarhawk":10grjira said:

Cuddle time!

Cuddle on 3.....Break.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
This is entertainment. All the NFL needs to do is make the game safe enough to where people agree to play it. If people are fine with ruining their health for our entertainment then what is the problem?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
fenderbender123":n86amfyc said:
This is entertainment. All the NFL needs to do is make the game safe enough to where people agree to play it. If people are fine with ruining their health for our entertainment then what is the problem?

You already know the answer to that question! :roll:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The NFL has to take steps to make the game safer because the players were suing them over injuries caused by the actions of the players.

You can next-level this by saying players are complaining because the NFL instituted rules to make the game safer because players were suing them over the injuries caused by players.

You can't make this stuff up.