Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Brandon Marshall doesn't fit the description.

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I watched his press conference and can't help but think that this is not the same guy we had sometimes heard can be a distraction on other teams. His press conference was intelligent, genuine, articulate, and generally just a damn good listen.

Maybe the injuries and contract situation gives him a certain appreciation, sure, but he seems a vet that you really want in your locker room. The Seahawks benefit greatly if he can make it back.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• I was thinking the same thing watching his presser and interviews.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• It will be interesting to see what he has left in the tank. He caught a TD pass from Russell Wilson on a go route today.

PFF says Marshall has the most first downs on go routes in the NFL since 2006 (47). Second is the great Larry Fitzgerald with 41.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... -go-routes
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Well it's his last stop in his career...don't think he would do himself any favors by being an idiot. Hopefully hes got something left
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• He has got a lot of help for his disorder and learned to manage it and his life. He is not the same guy before his treatment program.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Brandon Marshall had some mental health issues.

He got treatment for it. If you can remember back when the NFL was trying to shove pink ribbons down our throats in at attempt to market to women by pushing questionable charity activity - he was pushing to wear green ribbons to bring the issue of mental health and the mentally ill to the table.

The NFL stomped on him for that and a lot of the press about him being a 'bad guy' came out around then. I doubt it was a coincidence. The NFL takes a very mercantile and venal approach with its charities and they did not want people pushing other agendas when their real objective was selling pink jerseys, not bringing awareness to breast cancer.

He has always been a thoughtful and articulate player, some of his time in Chicago was stormy but the stuff in NJ was just because that team was falling apart. Even the tail end of his Chicago time he was outspoken but on issues, player health, rights, etc. He wasn't really a bad seed at all in the end there.

There was nothing to be concerned about in him being a bad influence on this team. He is stellar and a tremendous talent in the RZ.

I was ecstatic they got him.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Brandon Marshall's 8/2/18 press conference transcript with embedded audio link to today's recorded press conference >>> https://www.seahawksmedia.com/transcripts/marshall-brandon-08-02-18/

(On his chemistry with Russell Wilson) “Yeah, there’s some things that we got to clean up and there’s some things that we got to see. There’s some mistakes that we’ve got to make and correct, but the good thing about Russ is he loves ball and he loves talking ball. He loves watching film. We spend a lot of time in the classroom talking about different looks, talking about third down, talking about red zone. So today, we were out there. There were some things that we talked about – the first fade that we had, we missed because I did a release that he wasn’t used to. Walking back in between plays, we were able just to correct it that fast and then the second one you saw was a touchdown. So when you have guys that have played a lot of ball, seen a lot of ball, and have high football IQ, it’s easier to get on the same page than guys that really haven’t had that experience so I think that we’ll be alright.”
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• chris98251 wrote:He has got a lot of help for his disorder and learned to manage it and his life. He is not the same guy before his treatment program.

Yes, I remember some years ago watching a segment on him and his mental health issues. I believe it was around his time in Miami. He seemed to have had a reckoning of sorts. Total life makeover. I'm not worried about him.
    OpHawk
    NET Starter

• He’s crazy articulate. I have a lot of skepticism about what he has left in comparison to some of these young, hungry, athletic WRs we have fighting for a roster spot. But he put all my skepticism to bed in that press conference and made me feel very excited for what he could contribute as a leader on this team. After football, he can make a million a year as a commentator or he could make a great WR Coach.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Rooting for this dude to make the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• Brandon has been inspirational in recent years dealing with his mental health issues, and he's done so magnificently. I am crossing my fingers his career goes out on a high note wearing Seahawks blue and green. Pulling for the guy!

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Marshall will take JG's place in the red zone.
    Happy to have him here.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• WmHBonney wrote:Marshall will take JG's place in the red zone.
    Happy to have him here.

That would be great to see. He could definitely become a physical short yardage receiver for us.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:He has got a lot of help for his disorder and learned to manage it and his life. He is not the same guy before his treatment program.

So much this. Mental health issues can’t be understated and people need to understand why he had some of the issues he had
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Happy to have him here.

I’m glad. I’m more excited to run the ball in but have a TE in the other 80 yrds of the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    NOLAHawk
    NET Rookie

• This is why I don't entertain locker room cancer stories unless someone speaks on record with specific facts about a player's actions. I always though Brandon was awesome and am glad to have him here.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:I watched his press conference and can't help but think that this is not the same guy we had sometimes heard can be a distraction on other teams. His press conference was intelligent, genuine, articulate, and generally just a damn good listen.

Maybe the injuries and contract situation gives him a certain appreciation, sure, but he seems a vet that you really want in your locker room. The Seahawks benefit greatly if he can make it back.

He's always been that way. He'll get emotional on the field b/c he plays with passion... but he gets a bad rap.
    FinNasty
    NET Rookie

• vin.couve12 wrote:I watched his press conference and can't help but think that this is not the same guy we had sometimes heard can be a distraction on other teams. His press conference was intelligent, genuine, articulate, and generally just a damn good listen.

I have been a huge fan, and follower of B Marsh for a lot of years now. He is one of the only people I know of that deserves the second chance he got, and he has made the best of it. I can say this, most of the people he has clashed with, are people that are considered locker room distractions themselves. The latest was with Sheldon Richardson. I know he was ok here, but there was a reason the Jets moved him. Not saying Marshall is perfect, but he is a good guy. He pulled some bad stuff, including a DV incident. That behavior isn't excused, but he got a diagnosis, got help, and is trying to atone for his actions. He has turned his life around, and I hope he is inspiration for some in similar situations.

I hope he makes the team.
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

• His history is everything works great for 2 years...then he blows it up. He's a good dude and Im hoping it works. Always been one of my favorite players. We probably only would need him for one or two years anyways....then he will retire.

Watch that if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkqLq1Akmf0
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Happy to have him here.

And he won't disappear between the 20's like Graham did.
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• bigskydoc wrote: And he won't disappear between the 20's like Graham did.

Couldn't agree more.
    canucklehead
    NET Bench Warmer

This is the truth^
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

• bigskydoc wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:Marshall will take JG's place in the red zone.
    Happy to have him here.

Marshall will give 100%, Graham at best gave 75%.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    bigskydoc wrote:
    Happy to have him here.

I wouldn’t argue that at times it seemed this way.

In fairness this is a statement that I don’t believe you can prove.

Can you, if so please do?
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    bigskydoc wrote:
    Happy to have him here.

I wouldn’t argue that at times it seemed this way.

In fairness this is a statement that I don’t believe you can prove.

Can you, if so please do?

No I can't, you got me fair and square. BUT, since you asked pmedic920, I just made the following up:

1. Blocking
    Let's say 25% of a receiving TE's duty was blocking. Jimmy never make any effort to block; Even for a receiving TE, blocking is in his job description, he gave half ass effort at best. So 50% of 25%, our Jimmy took 12.5% off.

2. Receiving
    OK as a receiving TE, 75% of his job duty was receiving. Jimmy statistically drop more balls outside of red zone or when TD is not in the picture. Let's speculate that 50% of throws to Jimmy were outside of red zone and his focus/effort was 30% off on those plays, So Jimmy took 75% x 50% x 30% = 11.25% off on pass plays.

Haha under toffee's voodoo math, Jimmy took 12.5%+11.25%= 23.75% effort off, he made 76.25% effort on all plays. I said 75%, that was being unkind. Don't take my math to any court of law, but kind of matched some 12s' eyeball evaluation, didn't it?

Jimmy's a big dude that played small at times, a 270 lbs TE that block with less poweress than some 180 lbs RBs, a 6'8" TE played ...... when a hard hitting LB or SS was insight. I gave him 75% effort, just my subjective evaluation.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:His history is everything works great for 2 years...then he blows it up. He's a good dude and Im hoping it works. Always been one of my favorite players. We probably only would need him for one or two years anyways....then he will retire.

I love this "A Football Life". I liked Brandon Marshall before: being able to talk about his mental health issues, being a stud on the field, I liked his swagger, all that... but I didn't follow him all that close. Watching that film, now I LOVE Brandon Marshall. Man, I wish him all the good things on and off the field. This kid works hard! And he gives a lot of himself and his money. Dude is a real world hero. Major props to him. Love having him on MY team.
    "...the disrespect has been well noted and will not be forgotten." - Earl Thomas, discussing the Cowboys only offering a 2nd rounder in a trade for him.
    chawx
    NET Veteran

• Not saying he hasn’t changed because I think he has, but I’d put zero stock in this. He has always been well spoken and gave great interviews, even when he was a head case.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• canucklehead wrote:
    bigskydoc wrote: And he won't disappear between the 20's like Graham did.

Couldn't agree more.

As if that's Jimmy's fault? Blame our former offensive coordinator, boys...

Oh, wait, I forgot - Jimmy never caught anything between the 20s in New Orleans.

:roll:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    canucklehead wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Oh, wait, I forgot - Jimmy never caught anything between the 20s in New Orleans.

Or in 2016 in Seattle ... Lol
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:His history is everything works great for 2 years...then he blows it up. He's a good dude and Im hoping it works. Always been one of my favorite players. We probably only would need him for one or two years anyways....then he will retire.

This time you have it nailed, though I think you're being overly optimistic on the two year part.
    For sure he will have a good first year with us.
    I seem to recall in the past we disagreed, in a polarized way, on some unrelated things, (don't 100% recall and 100% don't care) but on this, I'll trust your data collection that you looked at Marshall's stats, history, etc., and noticed the two-year pattern. If you have a quick breakdown of Marshall's two-year pattern, please share it here; I think it would be an interesting read.

First, let me say I have nothing but the utmost respect for Brandon Marshall. The "Courage Award"? that should have Brandon Marshall's name on it, IMO. Population stats suggests there are many NPDs and BPDs in the NFL. Exactly *one* that I'm aware of has had the courage to go public. Marshall.

Personally, I have observed in numerous people I know with BPD (or related Cluster B issues), that when they go to a "new social group", they typically put a lot,lot of energy into making things go well at first, and fitting in. They'll also typically paint their prior group as abusers and themselves as an innocent victim, to sucker the new group into coming to their aid and also to prevent any communication (comparing stories would typically reveal their many lies) between the new group and the old group. I don't see Marshall doing any of the latter behaviors here. As a counterexample, look at Kelvin Benjamin, ripping Cam Newton a new one in the media, upon going to a new team. I totally have no idea if Kelvin Benjamin has any Cluster B personality issues; I'll assume not. Simply pointing out that if Marshall was displaying behaviors like Benjamin's, we could be sure that the tiger hasn't changed his stripes.

With Marshall's athletic ability, experience, and smarts, like you, I expect him to have a great year. I would go with you on the two year part, except for doubts about how much Marshall has left in the tank at his age, accumulated injuries, etc.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• Steve2222 wrote:Not saying he hasn’t changed because I think he has, but I’d put zero stock in this. He has always been well spoken and gave great interviews, even when he was a head case.

Yup. That's a typical skill of many people with BPD (or NPD). They excel at winning others over to their point of view, and presenting themselves as the "good guy" because in their mind, they always are. Even if they have to rearrange facts, data, and sequences of events in their head to match their emotions. When they verbally share their version of events, it sounds absolutely factual, convincing, even compelling, because they talk themselves into believing their own (false) version of events. Percy Harvin had those skills.

That said, Marshall seems to show he is successfully working through those kinds of issues. I'm 100% giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one so far.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• I was ecstatic when he signed with us and continue to be.

He's a leader, a damn good football player and someone that will give 100% all the time.

I'd bet good money he makes this team and has a fantastic year for us, we'll be hearing his name a lot.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• adeltaY wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    canucklehead wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Or in 2016 in Seattle ... Lol

Beat me to it. Huge between the 20s during that year.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• I am hoping that Marshall got enough left to help us out for 2 seasons. Btw, is Marshall HOF bound?

toffee
    NET Veteran

Bingo. Shows you how much people actually follow any advocacy by any player.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• In his prime, Brandon Marshall, was one of the best WRs in the league.

Off the field, it took guts to admit he has mental health issues and he's already doing TV work so I'd expect to see him in the booth when he hangs up his cleats.

That said, IMO, it comes down to keeping Marshall for one year, or keeping and developing a younger player.

Trust the process. No one knew much about Tedric Thompson or David Moore last year other then T2 played special teams and Moore was signed off the practice squad because other teams were looking to sign him. Now, T2 is penciled in as our starting FS and Moore has been making splash plays in OTAs, Mini champ, and TC.

So, do we risk losing a player the Hawks can develop and have club control for 3 years-low cost rookie contract for a one year rental player?
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

• I really like the look of this practice photo ......
    ............... making the catch Steve Largent style :2thumbs:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information