Summer talk : Jamarco Jones’ potential and issues

toffee

Reaction score
Jones is the antithesis of Cable linemen, he didn’t have outstanding measurable, frankly one of the slowest in combine. He did perform well in game time against major college defenses. I thought he was one of the most intriguing draftee this year.

He is doing well in training camp apparently, could he challenge Ifedi for RT? Your thoughts?

Jamarco Jones gets my attention

It is early enough in camp that I often have to refer to my camp roster printout in order to identify a player who caught my eye. One such moment came when I had just finished watching a snap on one side of the field in 7v7 passing drills and scanned back to my left to watch a 1v1 pass rush snap. I did not catch the number of the player rushing, but what caught my eye was the grace and skill with which the left tackle kept the rusher from gaining any ground. The left tackle was #73, rookie Jamarco Jones. I settled in to watch the next snap and Jones once-again easily won the match-up. Later, when paired with undrafted free agent guard Skyler Phillips (#72), both players stood up their rushers until they literally stopped rushing no more than a yard or two from where they started. It is important to note that these are backups going against backups in most cases, but Jones could be a guy they use to push Germain Ifedi depending on what happens when George Fant returns.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2018/07/seah ... -29th.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I am for taking a risk on Jamarco as our starting RT, with Ifedi struggling, let's give Jamarco a chance? He is the opposite of Ifedi, a disciplined and skilled guy although lacking ultimate size or speed.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jamarco-j ... 246beb2799

Scout report:

Jones isn't overly impressive and doesn't have many "wow" features, but he gets his job done. He lacks desired NFL height, but makes up for it with longer arms and good upper body strength. While his body control needs improvement, he has proven to have enough slide quickness and lateral agility to handle duties on the blind-side. However, his poor showing at the Combine raises concerns over whether or not his athletic traits are starting level.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I'd be all for Jones at RT. All he need to do it show some competence at the position and he'd be an improvement.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Pff had him ranked as the third best tackle in the draft, he may be quite the steal. That's why I have found it hilarious that people are saying "they didn't even address the line in the draft."

mistaowen

Reaction score
I remember watching clips of him heading into the draft, screams anti-Cable pick, so I'm on board. Never flashy but just does his job well. Being in an NFL training program will certainly help his athletic profile as well.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Looks like Jones is giving Ifedi a run for his money

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/1026903132004069376[/tweet]

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I rather have Jamarco start at RT and Ifiedi help out at RG since Fluker and Sweezy are both injured.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Probably a move from terrible to serviceable. I can live with that, but I'm not expecting Pro Bowls.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1026898850823323648[/tweet]

Make it happen! If Jamarco can provide Ifedi level competence without the penalties, our OL almost serviceable.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
https://www.fieldgulls.com/football-bre ... ound-steal

Jamarco Jones, a two-year starter at left tackle for an elite college program, with the wingspan of a pterodactyl, an objectively beautiful pass set, and a skill-set built on technique and efficiency,

Jones was one of the most technically proficient and well-rounded linemen in the 2018 class

Jones isn’t an explosive leaper. As such, he’s developed a fluid, efficient pass set that’s as pretty as they come. One that allows him to get in position, in-time, as well and consistently as those who seemingly have rockets snuck into their cleats.

A horrible tester, but good on film? Great pick for the 5th round. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":bdvydhup said:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2018/7/24/17608428/film-room-seattle-seahawks-jamarco-jones-offensive-line-fifth-round-steal

Jamarco Jones, a two-year starter at left tackle for an elite college program, with the wingspan of a pterodactyl, an objectively beautiful pass set, and a skill-set built on technique and efficiency,

Jones was one of the most technically proficient and well-rounded linemen in the 2018 class

Jones isn’t an explosive leaper. As such, he’s developed a fluid, efficient pass set that’s as pretty as they come. One that allows him to get in position, in-time, as well and consistently as those who seemingly have rockets snuck into their cleats.

A horrible tester, but good on film? Great pick for the 5th round. :2thumbs:

I am adopting Jamarco as my rookie.

notyou

Reaction score
toffee":2muy48hf said:
could he challenge Ifedi for RT?
A wet napkin could challenge Ifedi for the RT spot.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Legit ankle sprain, according to Pete.
A sprain is a soft-tissue injury to the ligament, tendon or muscle surrounding a bone. Depending on the severity, it can take weeks or months to heal, meaning that Jones could potentially return to the field this season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This sucks, and will likely result in Jamarco going on IR. Too bad, as he was beginning to look like he might be an adequate RT.

The OLine depth that looked to be curiously improved is now being whittled down. The deep reserves sure looked unready for prime time late in the Indie game.

Jville

Reaction score
It is a shame what happen to Jamarco Jones. Jamarco was lined up as the left tackle on that injury play. This Déjà vu play was somewhat reminiscent of the injury to George Fant during the 2017 preseason. The player that rolled up on Jamarco's leg came from around the outside of Jordan Roos and swung and tumbled into Jamarco's leg.

I thought all the linemen on that play did their jobs. Right guard Jordan Roos and right tackle Willie Beavers both taking their blocking responsibilities out wide by design. Unfortunately, the quarterback failed to step up into the pocket. If he had, I'm very confident Jamarco Jones would not have been injured.

It's a reminder that Quarterbacks can and occasionally do get team mates hurt when they fail to execute properly.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":1vdn367a said:
It is a shame what happen to Jamarco Jones. Jamarco was lined up as the left tackle on that injury play. This Déjà vu play was somewhat reminiscent of the injury to George Fant during the 2017 preseason. The player that rolled up on Jamarco's leg came from around the outside right of Jordan Roos and swung and tumbled into Jamarco's leg.

I thought all the linemen on that play did their jobs. Right guard Jordan Roos and right tackle Willie Beavers both taking their blocking responsibilities out wide by design. Unfortunately, the quarterback failed to step up into the pocket. If he had, I'm very confident Jamarco Jones would not have been injured.

It's a reminder that Quarterbacks can and occasionally do get team mates hurt when they fail to execute properly.

It was a leg whip that caused the injury, remember the other side of the ball pays guys to execute as well and sometimes they win. The good thing is it doesn't appear to be a season ending injury and he can make it back, sad thing is he is going to miss reps and time with the guys. He seemed to be holding his own prior to getting hurt however which is a promising sign.

Jville

Reaction score
chris98251":36rzt395 said:
Jville":36rzt395 said:
It is a shame what happen to Jamarco Jones. Jamarco was lined up as the left tackle on that injury play. This Déjà vu play was somewhat reminiscent of the injury to George Fant during the 2017 preseason. The player that rolled up on Jamarco's leg came from around the outside right of Jordan Roos and swung and tumbled into Jamarco's leg.

It was a leg whip that caused the injury, remember the other side of the ball pays guys to execute as well and sometimes they win. The good thing is it doesn't appear to be a season ending injury and he can make it back, sad thing is he is going to miss reps and time with the guys. He seemed to be holding his own prior to getting hurt however which is a promising sign.

I understand what your saying. But, a frame by frame video review of that play, never-the-less confirms that the Quarterback's failure to step up in the pocket provided the angle for a leg whip which resulted in injury to Jones. On that play, all linemen did their jobs. The quarterback did not.

Latest posts