Sweezy is Back...

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Wow, I think this is really good news. I was concerned about the RG position. Now we have a healthy and veteran J.R. Sweezy, who is instantly our most explosive offensive lineman. Yes, there are downsides to his struggles to mirror in pass pro; but we would have had those anyway with Fluker.

LT Duane Brown
LG Ethan Pocic
C Justin Britt
RG J.R. Sweezy
RT Germain Ifedi

hawknation2018

Reaction score
adeltaY":t5bubhk4 said:
Sweezy is healthy? Hasn't he had back problems for a couple years?

He's a year removed from the back injury. He started the first 14 games last season but missed the final two with a fracture in his leg.

original poster

Reaction score
This is good news (I think!).

No harm in having an extra veteran presence on the line.

I’d bet these is little to no guaranteed money in his contract, too.

toffee

Reaction score
Not sure what to make of this signing, we now have two RG in Fluker and Sweezy, both lack experience in playing LG.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
He was a Cable guy, so his past experience has little relevance. He was just OK then, and is battling through serious injury. I’m surprised we signed him.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":236nmb83 said:
He was a Cable guy, so his past experience has little relevance. He was just OK then, and is battling through serious injury. I’m surprised we signed him.

The leg fracture was 7 1/2 months ago. He passed his physical with the Seahawks three weeks ago. But he didn't like what he was being offered, which is probably at (or right around) the one-year vet minimum.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
toffee":15cusreu said:
Not sure what to make of this signing, we now have two RG in Fluker and Sweezy, both lack experience in playing LG.

If Fluker is healthy, he gives them depth at RG/RT. If not healthy, then he won't make the 53 roster.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We got worse when we lost him.

I am going to assume this is good news. It certainly is not bad news.

Hopefully, he is healthy.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Who woulda thought going into this season that the Oline looks like it has better depth than the Dline?

I LOVE Sweezy's nastiness, I just hope he can stay healthy

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
toffee":2qq9fekk said:

Move Fluker to RT and just have him stand there. That would be more productive then putting Ifedi there and watch him lead the league in penalties.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":3n8vfp2n said:
toffee":3n8vfp2n said:

Move Fluker to RT and just have him stand there. That would be more productive then putting Ifedi there and watch him lead the league in penalties.

A competition between Fluker and Ifedi at RT would be interesting.

One thing I noticed is that PFF gave Sweezy an average grade of 70 as a pass blocker last season, so maybe he has improved some in that area. Whereas Fluker had a terrible pass blocking grade of 32.4, which ranked No. 76 out of 78 qualified guards in pass protection.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
LMAO! I was reading up more on Fluker to see if he's played any tackle and look what Wikipedia has on this giant!!

Born and raised in the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans, Louisiana,[1] Fluker and his family left the city in the final hours before Hurricane Katrina roared ashore.[2] They moved to Biloxi, Mississippi, and later Mobile, Alabama, where Fluker attended McGill-Toolen Catholic High School. By eighth grade, he stood 6'3" and weighed 400 pounds, but later lost much of that weight.[3]

:shock:
:snack: :snack: :snack: :snack: :snack: :snack: :snack: :snack: :snack:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
How quickly everyone forgets. Sweezy was hardly immune to this board's criticism re: pass protection when he played for us. Good at run blocking, bad at everything else, and the epitome of useless cut-blocking.

Here's hoping he got better outside Seattle.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
We signed him to the 99, not to the 53. If he makes the 53, then it means he was better than someone else. This can *only* be a good thing.

Jville

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of Avery Young's injury set back. Wish him the best with his rehabilitation effort.

Delighted to hear of the return of JR Sweezy. The team has certainly been frustrated in their efforts to replace him. I have no idea what kind of strength, athleticism or condition Sweezy brings with him for 2018. But, I'm looking forward to finding that out along with discovering what he can do with this opportunity to go get another ring.

Good news ...... JR Sweezy back home again. :2thumbs:

James in PA

Reaction score
Good depth move. No more excuses ... we should have at least an average o-line this year. Any national publication that still has our o-line as a major weakness is just being lazy and not really doing their homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adeltaY

Reaction score
James in PA":145a972j said:
Good depth move. No more excuses ... we should have at least an average o-line this year. Any national publication that still has our o-line as a major weakness is just being lazy and not really doing their homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be seen as a major weakness until they go out and prove they aren't and with the way things have gone the past few years I agree.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seymour":1l8j7axi said:
LMAO! I was reading up more on Fluker to see if he's played any tackle and look what Wikipedia has on this giant!!

Born and raised in the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans, Louisiana,[1] Fluker and his family left the city in the final hours before Hurricane Katrina roared ashore.[2] They moved to Biloxi, Mississippi, and later Mobile, Alabama, where Fluker attended McGill-Toolen Catholic High School. By eighth grade, he stood 6'3" and weighed 400 pounds, but later lost much of that weight.[3]

:shock:
:snack: :snack: :snack: :snack: :snack: :snack: :snack: :snack: :snack:

WOW

Can’t believe he was 6’3” in eight grade!!!