Total Access: Have The Seahawks Lost Their Way?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So once in a blue moon TA will dedicate a segment to the Seahawks that lasts beyond 15 seconds. Today they discussed (based off the Sherman dust kick up, i.e. it's still offseason) if the Seahawks have lost their way. Of course the overall sentiment was yes they have. The usual narrative abounds ("Look at all the players let go in the offseason, the LOB is no more, Russell has to do it all on his own, et al) so nothing shocking there.

I guess what I took from the segment is the overall underestimation of Pete's ability to get young players to buy in, and not just young players but players with chips on their shoulders. After all, that was always the very foundational ingredient that created the cake that was ultimately our first Championship team in franchise history.

Unless I have been living under a rock for the past couple of years, I am pretty sure Pete Carroll is still the youngest mid 60's human being the world has ever known, and he's still the same person that got the Seahawks to the promised land and finished the job, nearly doing it back-to-back. Now to the segment's overall point, you don't just grow Kam Chancellors and Richard Shermans on trees. These are generational players that changed the game.

We were feared. We were the bullies nobody wanted to face. Now we are not.

Well, why can't we be that again? Hell yes it will take time, and it will have it's own new face on it, but why can't we get back to that brand of football?

I say we can, and we will.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is a kick them when they are down thing using Sherms comments as a catalyst. Let them talk, let them eat some raw uncooked crow.

It simply falls in line with everyone elses bullshit. More to come so get ready as we get closer to training camp.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
NFL Total Access is a reaction to SI's MMQB article. Sherm's sponsoring a CB Camp at Stanford University so the story wasn't entirely focused on The Hawks demise.

I suggest read the story and make your own conclusion.

That said, Sherm stated PC's rah, rah only works with college or first year, second or third year players.

Well, guess what, PC jettisoned older players. The team is now depending on a lot of players that Sherm said will listen to him.

The bullies on the block meant, ground and pound offense, stopping the run and bring in the NASCAR DLine to apply pressure the QB. I think this team has players to do all the above. Only thing that's missing tho is BamBam

Bottom line: Its way too early for anyone to say we're done, or a playoff team.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
truehawksfan":2fl8fdwj said:
NFL Total Access is a reaction to SI's MMQB article. Sherm's sponsoring a CB Camp at Stanford University so the story wasn't entirely focused on The Hawks demise.

I suggest read the story and make your own conclusion.

That said, Sherm stated PC's rah, rah only works with college or first year, second or third year players.

The problem with that theory, that people have been parroting for 8 years now, is I've heard many ex long term players say that about all coaches.

ALL coaches say the same things over and over again. If you are a NFL veteran, who's spent any amount of time with the same coaches, you've heard their shtick over and over. It's not just PC. But the real professionals, the real veterans, reinforce it to the rookies, they still buy in. (even though they've heard the same speech before) The last time I heard an old player talk about this was Dave Wyman about Coach Knox.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
See I feel like we already had lost our way 2-3 years ago by keeping our overpriced defensive stars and getting away from pounding the rock, resulted in getting soft on defense an offense.

So HAVE we lost our way? No. DID we lose our way and are now getting back to building a young nasty defense again to pair with a physical run game using Russell's amazing play action? Yes.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Aros":169izk84 said:
I guess what I took from the segment is the overall underestimation of Pete's ability to get young players to buy in, and not just young players but players with chips on their shoulders. After all, that was always the very foundational ingredient that created the cake that was ultimately our first Championship team in franchise history.

I say we can, and we will.

Snip Snip. I took what I wanted to discuss and clipped it here.

Aros, this is what I liked about your post the most. What happened is they all got paid and the chip on their shoulder became margerine, yanno the kind..butter knife type. MnMs...melt on your shoulder and not in your hands. Not only did they not buy in any more, their backups took the same stance. Hungry????naw I got the MnMs on my shoulder to eat. Wanna go work out...naw, that guy over there dont need to, so why should I? Entitlement theory....I made a team now I am in like flynn.....

I do think they can.....I do think they will....but it will take one full year of jelling for them to get there. Need the distractions off the table tho so the meat can be cooked medium rare. Last person to the table dont get none.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
If losing their way looks like five straight years of league's undisputed best defense and going to the playoffs, there are dozens of NFL teams that would love to lose their way.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
Lost their way is basically really nothing more than changing, and is Shermans way of feeling important. The way we played and won before is changing some, so you can win and play in many ways. only a fool thinks there is only one way to win and play.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawk1217":2jxxa2q5 said:
Lost their way is basically really nothing more than changing, and is Shermans way of feeling important. The way we played and won before is changing some, so you can win and play in many ways. only a fool thinks there is only one way to win and play.

They lost their way with holding people accountable and always compete was the mandate, they got older and more comfortable and Coaches, Players and the Front Office looked at the team as a success and arrived more then getting better each and every week with a move for a player or pushing them or frankly fixing issues aggressively.

That's how we got to the Super Bowl, after we got in the comfort zone and I am talking the first one not the NE one.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":wlcjtep9 said:
Hawk1217":wlcjtep9 said:

They lost their way with holding people accountable and always compete was the mandate, they got older and more comfortable and Coaches, Players and the Front Office looked at the team as a success and arrived more then getting better each and every week with a move for a player or pushing them or frankly fixing issues aggressively.

That's how we got to the Super Bowl, after we got in the comfort zone and I am talking the first one not the NE one.

Bingo. Give that man a cracker. :irishdrinkers: :2thumbs:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3sstl4vi said:
This is a kick them when they are down thing using Sherms comments as a catalyst. Let them talk, let them eat some raw uncooked crow.

It simply falls in line with everyone elses bullshit. More to come so get ready as we get closer to training camp.

Great Post!

If Seattle does turn out to, you know, actually be better these same talking heads who are kicking the team when it appears to be down those same fools will say. "Wow, that Seattle team is much better than we thought, but still sucks and couldn't possibly do anything in the playoffs".

In case everyone has forgotten these self same talking heads told us confidently that there no way in heck Seattle would hang with Denver's offensive juggernaut in XLVIII prior to the game, totally discounting the Seahawks to the great Broncos. We all recall a happier different result wherein our team score 43 points against that juggernaut.

There are reasons why they play the games.

Hawker8989

Reaction score
Colin Cowherd thinks Pete may be fired if they struggle again this season.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
chris98251":ddwm54dx said:
Hawk1217":ddwm54dx said:

Perhaps you are right, I just get the feeling for Sherman this is more about how the defense was not getting all the credit and was not the center of the team. Maybe it's both who knows. However, if you are right then Sherman has no room to talk as he was part of the problem and was not part fo the solution at all.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hawker8989":2ehn193n said:
Colin Cowherd thinks Pete may be fired if they struggle again this season.

Colin actually likes the Seahawks and I feel that he is frustrated with the team, as we are, however he may be right.

That said, I could see us going 7-9 this year but we really liked what we saw. For instance, the team starts doing something great that we haven't seen for the past few years. Pass Rush up the middle killing the pocket or a good offensive line production this year. Maybee, see 2 or 3 young players really take a big jump and become pro bowlers or close to it.

Then if nothing happens, Pete is probably gone.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2x7x44vp said:
See I feel like we already had lost our way 2-3 years ago by keeping our overpriced defensive stars and getting away from pounding the rock, resulted in getting soft on defense an offense.

So HAVE we lost our way? No. DID we lose our way and are now getting back to building a young nasty defense again to pair with a physical run game using Russell's amazing play action? Yes.

good post. I feel the same way. Hawks have learned lessons and are back on track.

adeltaY

Reaction score
lukerguy":2iw4ti5t said:
Sgt. Largent":2iw4ti5t said:

good post. I feel the same way. Hawks have learned lessons and are back on track.

I think that's more hindsight bias. If we let any of Sherm, Kam, or Earl go and played as well as they did for us, and whoever we got to replace them was average, we'd be dumbfounded as to why the FO let them go. I agree with the process of paying cream of the crop (all-pro level) players top dollar more than I do with letting them go and banking on your ability to develop new all-pros at three DB positions to save money.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
But there is a cap! We spent all of our cash propping up the defensive stars only to have them cause discourse because the gutted offense couldn’t keep up. Further more we spent so much on our defensive stars that we had to also part ways with some of the supporting cast depth that had helped the defense become elite to begin with. We tore down the offense to build the defense then pursued a formula that caused the foundation of that defense to erode. If the defensive stars play for a little less instead of demanding tip top pay we might have kept it rolling a little while longer but Pete’s plan was never long term sustainable.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I can't for football to start. I am sick of the speculation and negativity from the talking heads. One thing I can guarantee you is, the players left are hearing every negative word about them. And you know master psychologist Pete is using it to the Hawks advantage. I bet the chip on these guys is going to be bigger than ever.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm In! I think this team will outperform the expectations, and we've had some addition by subtraction. Obviously not in the case of Cliff and Kam, but in numerous other cases. I'm thinking we'll look a lot like the 2012 Seahawks, but with a veteran QB. Maybe 'Quem will be our new Kam-Bam factor?

Pete Carroll, the late Dick Clark, two peas on a pod. When Pete is the youngest octagenarian NFL coach, he will have outdone Dick. Speaking of Dick, Dick Vermeil didn't even make it to age 70 as an NFL coach. So if Pete is still coaching at 70 and has the Hawks in the playoffs, all he needs to do to top Vermeil is to learn to cry during press conferences.

To me, the biggest indicator of the Seahawks losing their way was when Bevell threw Ricardo Lockette under the bus after the 2014, and was not either fired or disciplined. (i.e., public apology and accepting personal responsibility for the failed play) When that happened, it was SO un-Seahawks-like, it was like it said to players tha all Pete's talk was BS when push came to shove. That has now been (finally) fixed.

There will be no more ridiculous contracts for washed-up players, there will be no more ridiculous free agent deals for expensive players that don't fit (Harvin, Graham), and we can only hope there will be better drafting.

More accurate would be to say, yes, the Seahawks did lose their way, but now, older and wiser, have massively course corrected back to "The Seahawks Way".

Latest posts