Imagine that, Sherm with something negative to say

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I wonder if the "mistakes" that were made include giving up a two score lead to Tommy Boy during the AN? What a douche. So glad he is gone. Can't wait to sweep the 9ers. Also, I don't think Sherm is going to have the kind of success in a different system as here. Spent years defending him as a "zone db," knowing I was wrong. There is a new crop of stud db's, they will leave him in the dust, and he will still be talking that ish.

www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nb ... hawks/amp/

strohmin

Reaction score
He is right though. Although the team might be going in the right direction, there were plenty of mistakes made over the past few years that went against their philosophy. I doubt we are going to sweep the niners and I wouldnt bet against Sherman. We'll see what happens. I think itll be a couple of years before we get to championship ready status.

OP
OP
Jimjones0384

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
strohmin":1uqzyg42 said:
He is right though. Although the team might be going in the right direction, there were plenty of mistakes made over the past few years that went against their philosophy. I doubt we are going to sweep the niners and I wouldnt bet against Sherman. We'll see what happens. I think itll be a couple of years before we get to championship ready status.

May not sweep the niners, that was more venting. But I stick by the Sherman prediction, he will not replicate his success he had here.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with what he said. Many here were saying the same thing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Plenty of mistakes, and he made his share of them w/his antics and his pie hole. Loved him as a player, but it was time. He flat out can't handle not being the center of attention. Oh well, he's a Niner now, next.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":2vnlnzro said:
But I stick by the Sherman prediction, he will not replicate his success he had here.

Of course he's not going to replicate the success he had here with mounting age and a lesser supporting cast, but he'll be solid and I would almost guarantee he'll burn us a time or two along the way. I wish he was still here.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Nothing he said is untrue.

He said this team made mistakes that ended our dominance. You missed them?

We had a historic defense and we squandered it.

Harvin lost us Tate.

We ran Lynch off and gave the keys to this team to Wilson before he was ready. And we saddled poor Wilson with one of the worst OCs in the NFL after stripping our OL because we thought we could get by with rookies and nobodies instead.

We built something special but then made the team all about Wilson instead. That was the biggest mistake and the one that destroyed any future this current team had. I pointed it out when I stated years ago that this team would never make another SB with Bevell - much less win one.

This was a great team. It is now nowhere near great. Hopefully this year it will be better than last but you are fooling yourself if you don't see the egregious mistakes that turned this team from SB contender to scraping for a wildcard.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Because the defense he played in NEVER was at fault for losing games and/or blowing leads. :?
Maybe he could get over it and move on? His act got old, period. He was PART of how the team lost their way. Would he ever admit he was? Nope. As much as I loved him as a Hawk, the fact that he was never wrong about anything, ever, the entire time he was here just wore thin with the team. Freaking out on the sidelines and acting like it was no big deal was not showing leadership at all. I will miss his play though, one of the best to ever play for the Hawks.
As far as Lynch goes, they let him do whatever he wanted, and it worked for a long time. He retired, how did they chase him away? Who was it that blew a 10 point lead in the Super Bowl? It was the DEFENSE. Along w/the Offense not playing add on. How many times the last couple years did the D blow a lead? They win and lose as a TEAM. But Sherm seemed to refuse to ever put it on the D, ever. How is that leadership? Pointing fingers and/or screaming at coaches on the sidelines, how is that productive?

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
I don't see Sherman saying anything factual in what was quoted. It is purely emotional BS. Typical of his immaturity really. For those that don't want to click the article there are only a couple direct quotes.

“Mistakes and poor judgment on things ruined what could have been a really special deal. . . . They’ve lost their way. It’s as simple as that. They’ve just lost their way. When you make too many mistakes over a long period of time, you kind of dig yourself a hole. And then when you backtrack, you gotta make a bunch of rash decisions to try and fill the hole and hope that it holds up.”

I mean seriously, "they've lost their way...", what a bunch of tripe. Again, Sherman proves he is incapable of accepting any responsibility for the times he failed to perform on the field. It is always someone else's fault or problem with this guy.

Tremendous player in his prime, but clearly not the best team player and struggles to move on from the past.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":97mmd1cq said:
Also, I don't think Sherm is going to have the kind of success in a different system as here.

If he's not going to have success it won't be because of that. It's the same system, which is why the 9ers went after him within 60 seconds of his release becoming official (not an exaggeration).

chris98251

Reaction score
Losing their way I think means not holding certain coaches accountable, also paying guys to come in more then those that contributed and have them bust. Those mistakes are what pissed off the LOB and Sherman, why those are the only ones that have held out at all during the Carroll Era.

Jville

Reaction score
It remains a matter of speculation. Speaking for myself, I think they made a series personnel blunders that took them out of what worked and toward a dead end direction. In the case of Sherman, he strikes me as someone who is still rolling it all over in his mind.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The defense produced, consistently.

The offense did not.

Whether the defense made mistakes occasionally or lost a game occasionally is immaterial. No system is perfect and no person or group is either.

But giving the keys to the team to the group that wasn't producing? That was bound to cause resentment and it did.

The biggest mistake this team made was not realizing what they had and not cherishing it more.

The 2nd biggest mistake was not holding the offense accountable like it did the defense.

The rest were all idiotic personnel moves. (Tate, Harvin, Unger, Graham, etc)

Either way, Sherman produced, kept this team in games and the LOB was literally the reason we made the SBs. He earned the right to say what he said.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Maybe he should concentrate on his new team instead of talking about the Hawks after the fact.
And we only made the Super Bowl back to back years because of the D? They don't make EITHER of them w/out Russ as well.

Chapow

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3romh7yu said:

I mean, if you consider winning a Super Bowl squandering a historic defense then yeah, I guess we squandered it.

You know, just like how the '85 Bears and the '00 Ravens squandered their historic defenses too. :roll:

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3p19uqb9 said:
Jimjones0384":3p19uqb9 said:
Also, I don't think Sherm is going to have the kind of success in a different system as here.

If he's not going to have success it won't be because of that. It's the same system, which is why the 9ers went after him within 60 seconds of his release becoming official (not an exaggeration).

The Whiners’ defensive coaching staff is horrible, though. A Pete Carroll coached defense it ain’t.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2kt6nm4y said:
Nothing he said is untrue.

He said this team made mistakes that ended our dominance. You missed them?

Harvin lost us Tate.

We ran Lynch off and gave the keys to this team to Wilson before he was ready. And we saddled poor Wilson with one of the worst OCs in the NFL after stripping our OL because we thought we could get by with rookies and nobodies instead.

We built something special but then made the team all about Wilson instead. That was the biggest mistake and the one that destroyed any future this current team had. I pointed it out when I stated years ago that this team would never make another SB with Bevell - much less win one.

This was a great team. It is now nowhere near great. Hopefully this year it will be better than last but you are fooling yourself if you don't see the egregious mistakes that turned this team from SB contender to scraping for a wildcard.

This is an interesting post, on one hand, you say "Poor" Wilson, on the other you make it clear handing the team to Wilson was the big mistake and it comes across like you blame Wilson. In fact, you say "Make it all about Wilson" this is, of course, is factless. Most of what has happened over the last few years were things that were coming regardless if we won that SB or not. The reason is too many strong personalities that wanted to be the guy, and have it their way. Point in case Sherman were is he taking any responsibility for his part in the loss or all the problems he caused. Answer no place, and some here eat that up, instead of calling him out. This was coming win or not, due to the strong personalities and wanting to be the man and be about the money. The biggest blame here is PC for allowing these personalities to become bigger than the team, and letting them go unchecked. As to that team getting back to or winning another SB, let me remind everyone the last NE team that won an SB was different than the one before and so on and so on. CHange happens in the NFL.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sherman was playing with a torn ligament in his elbow. He’s a warrior. He gave everything he had for this team. It’s sad that fans become so bitter after a player is released.

Sherman made some bitter comments too, when his firing was still fresh. But everything he says here is true. Thankfully, we have a new offensive coaching staff now.

All teams make poor decisions at times. Sherman will see this first hand now that he is playing for a dramatically overhyped Niner team and helping to generate income for an owner as inept as Jed York.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
'Seahawks lost their way'
So in his mind the hawks are sheeps and Sherm is the shepherd...

Niners and Sherm so deserve each other. :snack:

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3kacjqfx said:
'Seahawks lost their way'
So in his mind the hawks are sheeps and Sherm is the shepherd...

Niners and Sherm so deserve each other. :snack:

Seahawks fired him. He gave everything he could for this organization. Helped us win a lot of games, including a Super Bowl. Unfortunately, difficult decisions have to be made when players get older.

Latest posts