Reaction score
30. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:
Left Tackle: Duane Brown, 77.9 overall grade
Left Guard: Ethan Pocic, 35.7
Center: Justin Britt, 66.9
Right Guard: D.J. Fluker, 42.3
Right Tackle: Germain Ifedi, 48.6

We were ranked 28th after ‘17, main problem seems to be Pocic. Ifedi rated 48.6, no good but hardly the worst.

PPF somehow opined that our OL shall be worse this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adeltaY

Reaction score
I think Brown should get back to 83+ this year now that he's back in the swing of things and hopefully fully healthy. He and Britt were both playing on hurt ankles during the second half of the season, which might be an underrated point in the line's struggles toward the end of the season.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
After all this time, until I see it, I am going to presume Wilson will be running for his life again. Hope I am wrong thought.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Of those five, my biggest concern would be Fluker's inability to pass protection as a guard due to slow feet, struggles at run blocking as a guard due to lack of explosiveness. He was decent as a RT with strong hands to turn smaller ends and good use of his length on the outside. His grades at tackle have always been better than at guard.

Pocic has the excuse that he was an undersized rookie with average athleticism. Now, he has at least gained some weight. They'll give him every opportunity to sink or swim at the LG position in his second year.

Ifedi is still playing out of position at RT, but options are limited there. Fant is coming off an injury and lacks technique. Because he played RT in college, which means next to nothing, Ifedi believes he should stay at RT. James Carpenter had the good sense to ask for a move to guard.

Even with these concerns, on the whole, this is the most talented group we have had at the offensive line since 2014. In 2015, they traded away their center, Max Unger, and signed or drafted no one to replace him. They also let James Carpenter leave in free agency without finding an adequate replacement. In 2016, they did the same thing with their LT, Russell Okung, and their RG, J.R. Sweezy. In 2017, they were going to ride without a legitimate LT, until they had the good sense to trade for Duane Brown, mid-season.

From 2015 until Duane Brown was acquired in 2017, the offensive line was a shit show from a personnel perspective; front office has seemingly never taken responsibility for that. They blamed the overall lack of talent in college for fielding the worst offensive line in the NFL during that time period. The scouting department has been promoting from within, rather than adding an offensive line expert who would carry more weight in assembling a functioning unit.

Ifedi and Pocic absolutely should improve, in all phases, due to the technical coaching they will receive from Solari. I'm intrigued by the strength and athleticism of Jordan Roos and Skyler Phillips, as backup guards. I'm interested to see whether they will get any play with the first team or whether Solari will be more focused on improving the technique of these five.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
SeahawksOLine 1024x578

Duane Brown at least brought some semblance of competency to the Seahawks line towards the end of last season. Prior to the trade, the line had a pass-blocking efficiency of 71.5, while afterwards that number jumped to 78.4 (right around league average). The right side of the line is still ugly though as D.J. Fluker and Germain Ifedi had pass-blocking grades of 32.4 and 71.5 last year, respectively.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... ering-2018

This supports the eye test that Fluker's pass blocking as a guard was just about the worst that it got in the league last season.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
@nallen64 asks, “How soon are the Seahawks looking to solidify their starting five on the offensive line?

A: This is an interesting question because, with a new offensive line coach, Mike Solari, and offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer, taking over this year, it’s hard to predict how they’ll do things in camp. In past years we’ve seen quite a bit of shuffling along the line in certain training camps, but that was under different coaches. And as much as Carroll values competition, he has also talked on a few occasions about how much the line could benefit from continuity in 2018 because of the potential to return four starters from last year—tackles Duane Brown and Germain Ifedi, guard Ethan Pocic and center Justin Britt. That’s not to say those four have jobs locked down, but it appears based on what we saw in offseason workouts that those four, along with free-agent addition D.J. Fluker, will be given a chance to work together and try to establish that continuity, which can be so valuable for that position group. That being said, don’t count out the likes of George Fant, Jordan Roos, Rees Odhiambo and others to push for starting jobs.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/analytics ... witter-q-a

adeltaY

Reaction score
Great post from hawknation. Ifedi played guard for a year though, right? I don't think it's his decision to switch to RT as much as Carroll's/Cable's. They could just move him back, but I don't think he was that great at guard either, right?

I'm really with you on the Fluker pass protection issues. If our interior pass blocking doesn't improve, especially given we have to face the Suh/Donald tandem twice this year, it's going to be really rough for Wilson. Some people have said that Fluker's ability as a run blocker offsets his poor pass pro because running the ball well will protect Wilson, but I don't believe that. Interior pressure the worst for almost any QB, we have to find a way to reduce that.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
adeltaY":2q0nb1ur said:
Great post from hawknation. Ifedi played guard for a year though, right? I don't think it's his decision to switch to RT as much as Carroll's/Cable's. They could just move him back, but I don't think he was that great at guard either, right?

I'm really with you on the Fluker pass protection issues. If our interior pass blocking doesn't improve, especially given we have to face the Suh/Donald tandem twice this year, it's going to be really rough for Wilson. Some people have said that Fluker's ability as a run blocker offsets his poor pass pro because running the ball well will protect Wilson, but I don't believe that. Interior pressure the worst for almost any QB, we have to find a way to reduce that.

Put Fluker at RT and Roos at RG, sitting Ifedi could shake him out of his entitlement attitude?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I am going to miss Tom Cable's musical chair mantra. I enjoyed watching ill trained lineman moved to unfamiliar positions from week to week. It made for really entertaining football.

Latest posts