Summer talk : Who's our best candidate as Earl's replacement

toffee

Reaction score
Not sure if Earl will be back, but the team has been trying to trade him for the past few months. One got to believe front office and Pete have someone in mind to step in as our new FS? Earl was the one Pete traded up to draft because Pete saw something in Earl that will make his system shine. Have Pete found someone with similar attributes? Who might that be? We draft Tre Flowers, a safety but is converting him to corner. We sure didn't sign any big buck safety.

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":1sir6w29 said:
Not sure if Earl will be back, but the team has been trying to trade him for the past few months. One got to believe front office and Pete have someone in mind to step in as our new FS? Earl was the one Pete traded up to draft because Pete saw something in Earl that will make his system shine. Have Pete found someone with similar attributes? Who might that be? We draft Tre Flowers, a safety but is converting him to corner. We sure didn't sign any big buck safety.

Could be we did and he is already here. Earl isn't a interception machine, his qualiies are his Football IQ and ability to process information fast and then react and get there fast. We have guys with his speed, we just don't know about the IQ and reaction time to diagnose plays before reacting. That requires film room time and study habits that Kam, Earl and Sherm all put in huge hours on, that dedication paid off in on field recognision and communication that we all seen as a devestating pass defense.

I remember it being said that those three spent as much time in the film room looking at offenses and individual players for tip offs as Wilson spends.

I think Earl will miss that combined brain thrust, I hope Kam sticks as a Coach or at least on the PUP and a contributor to pass along that work ethic.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":396up4p4 said:
toffee":396up4p4 said:

Could be we did and he is already here. Earl isn't a interception machine, his qualiies are his Football IQ and ability to process information fast and then react and get there fast. We have guys with his speed, we just don't know about the IQ and reaction time to diagnose plays before reacting. That requires film room time and study habits that Kam, Earl and Sherm all put in huge hours on, that dedication paid off in on field recognision and communication that we all seen as a devestating pass defense.

I remember it being said that those three spent as much time in the film room looking at offenses and individual players for tip offs as Wilson spends.

I think Earl will miss that combined brain thrust, I hope Kam sticks as a Coach or at least on the PUP and a contributor to pass along that work ethic.

Great point, from the countless hours of combine film study, analyse, and bonding, they developed some sort of instinct that they could act as one which save the second or two reaction time.

Got to wonder what's Pete's plan B if Earl doesn't come back, I would like to think there's got to be a plan B. It would be irresponsible if there aren't plan Bs.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Isn't the present plan for either McDougald or Tedric Thompson to be that FS replacement, short term? SS has other candidates: most notably short term is Delano Hill, but Pete has talked favourably about Maurice Alexander

Longer term, I could see the team picking up a free agent or drafting a guy they are certain could fill the role.

Other potential players for FS already here are carter, Mutcherson, or even Tre Flowers who played S in college but Pete thinks may be better suite to be a CB.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
jammerhawk":46x9kqul said:
Isn't the present plan for either McDougald or Tedric Thompson to be that FS replacement, short term? SS has other candidates: most notably short term is Delano Hill, but Pete has talked favourably about Maurice Alexander

Longer term, I could see the team picking up a free agent or drafting a guy they are certain could fill the role.

Other potential players for FS already here are carter, Mutcherson, or even Tre Flowers who played S in college but Pete thinks may be better suite to be a CB.

Wouldn't Maurice Alexander be quite a journey man by now? Dude couldn't hold his job, got out competed by a rookie at the Rams.

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":3vlu8dav said:
jammerhawk":3vlu8dav said:

Wouldn't Maurice Alexander be quite a journey man by now? Dude couldn't hold his job, got out competed by a rookie at the Rams.

Yeah your using someone elses analyst, Pete as a way of putting people in places that take advantage of their strengths, and hiding their weaknesses, our scheme may use him in a way he can just play down hill and not have to react as much.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":2xvwyiwm said:
toffee":2xvwyiwm said:
jammerhawk":2xvwyiwm said:

Yeah your using someone elses analyst, Pete as a way of putting people in places that take advantage of their strengths, and hiding their weaknesses, our scheme may use him in a way he can just play down hill and not have to react as much.

You got a good point.

Two "mysteries" this off season:

1. OL
Pete is solving by changing coach, get a blocking TE and a stud RB. Instead of investing in more linemen.

2. FS
Pete put Earl on trade market, so he got to have a plan B if Earl got traded. Unlike the OL, we can't see any obvious plan on how to replace Earl. Like Chris said, may be Pete had someone in mind.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
McDougald is likely the replacement at FS at least initially.

IMO, Alexander has a leg up at SS for two reasons: One is that he has quite a bit of actual playing experience and has experience as a LB and safety in college. Second reason, is that speaking of college, he knows Wagner and that might mean, just maybe, that Wags might make even a subconscious effort to make communication better between himself and Alexander. The communication part is key because in this type of defense, the SS has some proximity to the MLB so they can hear each other. The FS cannot even be heard when the Link cranks up in a home game. That has to be relayed by the SS if any adjustments are made. Alexander is an experience NFL player that came from Utah St, where his captain also came from. It might just matter.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
McDougald is better at SS than FS. That is where is he says he is most comfortable. He had a really high stop rate as a SS.

I would like to see what Tedric Thompson can do in a game at FS. He had some of the best instincts I have seen at the college level. But people question his speed to play this position in the NFL.

The answer is no one can replace Earl. I expect him back by Week 1.

Tical21

Reaction score
If we are looking at the current team, it has to be Tedric, although a 4.7 40 just ain't cutting it.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Pete wants to convert Tre Flowers to corner, otherwise dude was a college safety, tall and pretty fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
They'll obviously fight it out in camp, so we'll see who emerges. One thing I know is that I have faith in Pete Carroll to field a top calibre defense, particularly in the secondary. Only one of the LoB was anyone before the LoB. Otherwise it was Richard who? Kam who? Byron who? Is that the Browner guy who was playing CFL because he couldn't cut it in the NFL?

Who they are when they enter the program is irrelevant. Who they become is everything.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Tical21":37uz0pyd said:
If we are looking at the current team, it has to be Tedric, although a 4.7 40 just ain't cutting it.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557881

Official 4.60 at NFL Combine.

Highest tackling efficiency in passing game for all draft eligible safeties.

QBs had a rating of 21.3 when targeting him in 2016, the lowest mark in FBS among safeties with at least 25 targets against.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/d ... s-colorado

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Looks like we don’t have a designated replacement yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Trade rumors are heating back up again so I'll be curious to see if they look into Brandon Bryant. He got a DUI some time back, but his talent is undeniable. He got slammed by Fournette once, but otherwise fast and physical. Earl Thomas has gotten completely and utterly destroyed by much lesser backs though so whatever.

[youtube]AX5BgKKGQTU[/youtube]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":wzwy63f1 said:
Ask Gronk if ET can hit
He's got a few good ones here and there. I wouldn't accuse him of being a hitter though. Seen him wrecked by RBs one too many times.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
vin.couve12":39x5uczt said:
SoulfishHawk":39x5uczt said:
Ask Gronk if ET can hit
He's got a few good ones here and there. I wouldn't accuse him of being a hitter though. Seen him wrecked by RBs one too many times.

LOL, so bitter. If Earl hadn't made the dumb Dallas overture, you would never make such a silly comment.