Bigger Season: Clark or Mingo?

nwHawk

Reaction score
This may seem strange, but what the heck. I really like Frank Clark and think he will be hungry this season, but for the Seahawks to reach the playoffs this year who needs to have a bigger season?:

1 - Frank Clark
2 - Barking Mingo

Before you brush this off as crazy, I ask you to really think about it. I think we would all agree Clark should have a better year, especially given his time in the system and athletic freakiness.

Tical21

Reaction score
Frankly, I'd be mildly surprised if Mingo makes the team.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
They're both going to play great, but I wouldn't really compare them. Clark is going to have a double digit sack season. He's going to play more reps than he ever has before. We are counting on him to be our primary pass rusher, in addition to Green, Jordan, Reed, Smith, Johnson, and perhaps Jackson.

Mingo is a player we have been missing at SLB since Irvin departed. He is amazing in coverage, excellent at holding the edge, and alright as a pass rusher when he has a free lane. If he ends up with only three sacks as a LEO pass rusher, he could still have a great year as a SLB.

Having a SLB who is as good an athlete as Mingo is going to make the defense more physical than it has been. Because he is so long and active in pass coverage, we may not have to rely as much on nickel defense. Not only does this give us a more physical box defender against the run, it should also make us better against screens and the quick passing game, which has caused us some problems in the last couple seasons.

Tical21

Reaction score
adeltaY":3ckaoeej said:
Tical21":3ckaoeej said:
Frankly, I'd be mildly surprised if Mingo makes the team.

Really? Even given the contract they gave him?
pretty sure it's a dressed-up one year deal. he played so poorly that he was taken out of the rotation on two of the worst defenses in the NFL. He's just shown nothing that suggests he can make plays at this level.

Tical21

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1t47dg3t said:
They're both going to play great, but I wouldn't really compare them. Clark is going to have a double digit sack season. He's going to play more reps than he ever has before. We are counting on him to be our primary pass rusher, in addition to Green, Jordan, Reed, Smith, Johnson, and perhaps Jackson.

Mingo is a player we have been missing at SLB since Irvin departed. He is amazing in coverage, excellent at holding the edge, and alright as a pass rusher when he has a free lane. If he ends up with only three sacks as a LEO pass rusher, he could still have a great year as a SLB.

Having a SLB who is as good an athlete as Mingo is going to make the defense more physical than it has been. Because he is so long and active in pass coverage, we may not have to rely as much on nickel defense. Not only does this give us a more physical box defender against the run, it should also make us better against screens and the quick passing game, which has caused us some problems in the last couple seasons.
Is Frank going to get more snaps this year than last year? I don't think more snaps is a good thing for him. He takes far too many off as it is.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Mingo is an average player at best. Anything we get from him will be a bonus. Clark will have far better numbers.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Clark doesn't have Bennett, Avril, and Richardson now. He is going to be the target of extra attention from offenses, because FRANKly ... we don't have any other bona fide pass rushers that strike fear.

Curious to see how Frank responds as the Alpha dog.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Nobody thought much of Cliff Avril when he was added, and certainly Chris Clemons was thought to be a nobody pick up by the team. Maybe Mingo will not amount to anything in Pete’s schemes but until I see him play here in the role Pete sees for him I’m not going to write him off, he is, if nothing, a superb athlete.

To answer the thread’s question I’d say Clark will have a bigger season and hopefully may find himself playing in the Pro Bowl, Mingo could potentially give the team that Bruce Irvin type presence from the SOLB, something missing after Irvin left. Between the others some here are sleeping on them. I’m expecting big things from Dion Jordan and Marcus Smith who hopefully both will be healthy at last. Both had moments last season where they flashed significant ability. If Clark gets help from Green, Jordan, Smith or even a present unknown Clark won’t be as easy to key on by opposing teams.

The team saw something in both Rasheem Green and in Jacob Martin to draft them and it will be interesting to see if they were right. Here we’ve only been discussing the edge pressure and several of the inside guys could also be a surprise.

I remain curious about the depth with the DLine, lots of unknowns but lots of potential. They could all be bums, or one or more of them may prove to be pretty darn good.

King Dog

Reaction score
We signed Avril coming off a season with 9.5 sacks and 11 the year prior. I think everyone expected big things out of him. Bennett too.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Clark needs to limit his reps or he isn't as effective. Mingo could potentially be the best replacement since Irving at Sam. We won't know until several weeks into the season.

I feel like Sam LB has kept us back in the past few years. We need a pass rush, and we need to stop the run better.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Tical21":1ggpzhj2 said:
hawknation2018":1ggpzhj2 said:

Is Frank going to get more snaps this year than last year? I don't think more snaps is a good thing for him. He takes far too many off as it is.

When I think of the phrase "takes plays off," I think of lack of effort. It's never an effort question for Clark. He is always active against the run. Great athlete, great motor. He disappears at times against the better offensive tackles because he hasn't diversified his pass rushing moves. He becomes predictable at times and relies too much on the bull rush. Hopefully he will improve his hand fighting.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The Hawks were Avril's only significant suitor that offseason which was strange considering his two solid seasons prior. I had high hope for him but that view wasn't widely held around the league. The Hawks got him for a very team friendly contract as a result, as they did with Bennett.

There is little doubt that the loss of Avril in particular and Bennett will require players to step forward and assume their roles, which may not be easy.

chris98251

Reaction score
Nobody gave Avril much thought because he had Suh eating up blockers for him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Likely so, and yet Avril was such a solid and steady team player.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
nwHawk":1x9ew0zk said:
This may seem strange, but what the heck. I really like Frank Clark and think he will be hungry this season, but for the Seahawks to reach the playoffs this year who needs to have a bigger season?:

1 - Frank Clark
2 - Barking Mingo

Before you brush this off as crazy, I ask you to really think about it. I think we would all agree Clark should have a better year, especially given his time in the system and athletic freakiness.

Barking Mingo? Autocorrect doing its thing? Hilarious. Or maybe that’s how he plays. Anyone remember that old LT clip with him saying they need to play like a bunch of crazed dogs? Maybe we have that in Barking Mingo!! :lol: :lol:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2p708z5o said:
Mingo is likely a camp body. So no doubt Clark.

Aha, just about everyone sucks on this year’s team. Yep, no need to watch. Clearly the FOis stupid, the team is screwed.

This constant negativity is tedious.

:sarcasm_off:

C’mon man, the FO is not doing too bad. Mingo was an early draft pick for some reasons which we will see this coming season, he can be very quick off the snap and is reportedly strong in coverage. He has been injured a lot a missed critical time that has delayed his development, he could just be a diamond rescued from the rough.

He was signed for two seasons, so he’s not a camp body unless he sucks as badly as you seem to think he will.

King Dog

Reaction score
I guess I remember it different than most. I was just about to enter a car wash in Scottsdale when I heard the news on the radio. I immediately called my buddy up in WA and the direct quote was "Holy **** we just signed Bennett too!." This would have been a day after the Avril signing. I had big expectations for both.

49er fans tried to troll us shortly after claiming that JS got fleeced signing MB because he had a rotator cuff issue and Cliff Avril couldn't set an edge :roll: