Summer talk : Who had more impact on LOB, Kam or Earl?

toffee

Reaction score
Kam is retiring, Earl left his heart in Dallas, we could see two new safeties from this season onward. LOB dominated for the last few years, during this period, of the two safeties:

1. Which one was more crucial to the success of LOB?
2. Which one had more impact on games?
3. Which one is more difficult to replace?

Let's focus on the on-field stuff, please.

I personally felt that Kam called the plays or made adjustments, he made middle of field hostile to all WRs, TEs and RBs. Earl had more speed and basically provide safety blanket to the CBs. I never played the game, I could be getting this very wrong.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Interesting question.

Both were critical to the early version of the LOB. All in all Cam's physical presence will be missed in the short term and Earls speed in coverage is critical to a version of how the team likes to play C3. Both can be replaced and the intimidating in the box SS is easier to find than a very fast FS.

To me at present Kam is the bigger loss short term as he was more coverage call smart than Earl, but Earl will be the harder player to immediately replace. I'd say Kam is the bigger loss short term, and in the game took away a lot of short to intermediate routes. Earl was depended upon for over the top coverage help by the CBs. Statistically after Earl was hurt after colliding with Kam he was critically missed by the D, so all in all, though close, Earl would be the bigger loss.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Gotta wonder someone like a Tre Flower can be developed into an Earl lite? or Earl long lol. or more in the image of Merton Hanks, a tall FS (6'2", 185lbs, 4 pro bowls and 3 all pros) with speed. Too bad Kam is retiring, otherwise with him as onfield general callin' plays and adjustments will ease our new FS in.

Tre (6'3" 202lbs) and Earl's (5'10" 208lbs) draft data aren't far apart,
40 yards- Tre: 4.45 sec, Earl: 4.49sec
Vertical Jump- Tre: 34.5", Earl: 32"
Bench- Tre: 18, Earl: 21

Steve2222

Reaction score
Earl, Earl, and Earl

ET and Wagner have been the two absolute anchors on the defense during their run.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Personally, I don’t think there is an answer to this question.

I’ve always said that “chemistry” plays a major role in how a football team performs .

IMHO, what we witnessed was “Thee Perfect Storm”

I feel like they all had a “part”, and each was as important as the other.
I think they fed off of each other, and they were better because of one another.

I’ll use Brandon Browner as an example. Great player as a LOB member, a different team/situation and not so much.

I expect the same from Sherman as a 9er.

I could be wrong but my answer is “neither”.

I think they need/needed each other.

YMMV

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
pmedic920":1jkz2xkb said:
Personally, I don’t think there is an answer to this question.

I’ve always said that “chemistry” plays a major role in how a football team preforms.

IMHO, what we witnessed was “Thee Perfect Storm”

I feel like they all had a “part”, and each was as important as the other.
I think they fed off of each other, and they were better because of one another.

I’ll use Brandon Browner as an example. Great player as a LOB member, a different team/situation and not so much.

I expect the same from Sherman as a 9er.

I could be wrong but my answer is “neither”.

I think they need/needed each other.

YMMV

I concur, and we can sort of review the team performance during their respective absences.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Agree with pmedic. I think it's interesting to think about, but the LoB was a true team defense that was one of the greatest ever. I think the fact that they worked together so well says a great deal about how great of a coach Pete is too!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Hotchy":96w5hje7 said:
1. Pete
2. Carroll
3. Pete Carroll

Didn't think of that angle, but you are RIGHT. LOB was a product of guys drafted by Pete to play under a system designed by Pete. Talk about putting guys in position to succeed.

I remember Pete traded up for Earl because Pete saw certain attributes that fits his system. Similarly, Pete drafted Sherm for his length and WR background etc., It sounded like Pete as a master plan and just looked for pieces that fits that plan, not the other way around.

We shall see if Sherm and Earl flourishes outside of Pete's system?

Hawk1217

Reaction score
It depends on in what way.

Kam put the Boom in the LOB, but Earl was the straw that made it work. I call him the Eraser because he could erase a coverage mistake.

So in a way both but in different ways

sdog1981

Reaction score
We saw what this defense looked like in 2016 without Earl Thomas and then we saw what the defense looked like in 2017 without Kam, Sherm, and Cliff.

The debate is over, the defense is the Earl Thomas show.

Tical21

Reaction score
Earl is my guy. My favorite defensive Seahawk ever. I think he is a far better player than Kam. But as far as impact on LOB, I'm gonna go Kam. What made the LOB the LOB was intimidation. The catalysts IMO were Kam and Browner. The whole thing birthed from them being so much more intimidating than everyone else at their respective positions. Ah, nevermind, I'm still gonna go Earl, he's just that good.

Latest posts